• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen | PC Performance Thread

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Sounds horrible. Will get it on PS4 then. A shame since it's much cheaper and would run better on my PC, but if that version crashes as often as is implied in this thread, there's really no choice. Thanks for the warning.

most of us have fixed the crashes, but ok, I guess IF I WRITE IN CAPS MAYBE YOU WILL PAY ATTENTION I DONT KNOW?

blado

No crashes in a while, and my fps issues seem to have been completely resolved. However, even when I turn on physx, it seems to be off. I've enabled it in the settings ini as well as ingame, but no luck. Oh well, I'm fine with it being off, since it probably is what caused all of the performance issues, but it's odd that I can't turn it back on.

creyas

Been playing for two evenings now (so, both) without crashes. Tried borderless windowed and crashed within minutes.

Running quite good now with the turbulence thing disabled, VHQ otherwise, haven't messed with physx settings. Don't remember if it was dropping or not, so no major slowdowns at least.

2500K@4.5
GTX 980, newest driver
8GB RAM
Win 8.1

1080p

martino

Same thing happened for me after using the Geforce experience optimizer thing. I can't get it to stick at 16x. Every other setting works.

no geforce for me (because amd) but same problem.
AF stays at 4X and i can't disable trubulence :/

blado

no geforce for me (because amd) but same problem.
AF stays at 4X and i can't disable trubulence :/

I fixed it by switching the overall settings to a lower setting, and then switching them back to very high. Also, is anyone on with an Nvidia card getting driver crashes, or is it just that my overclock is unstable with this game?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
5 hours now and its been running great. man I hope this game gets over its technical hurdles because im loving it

lmbotiva

man, reading all the problems you guys/girls are having is terrible, my purchase was between this for PC or COD: advance warfare for ps4, i guess COD it is

nbthedude

man, reading all the problems you guys/girls are having is terrible, my purchase was between this for PC or COD: advance warfare for ps4, i guess COD it is
Actually it mostly boils down to a few things:

1) NVidia physx needs to be set to CPU in the NVidia control panel

2) multiple monitors are currently borked and you need to disable one of your displays

In terms of raw performance the Pc version is great. I haven't had a single problem since fixing the above two things.

cripterion

This fucking game still crashing during the fight with the 2nd boss, no matter the settings, unacceptable to release the game in such a state. I played like an hour going back and forth killing mobs in between but when it comes to that part it always randomly crash during the fight.

sentry65

anyone know if you can disable the annoying camera wobble every time you swing your weapon? It's rather disturbing how much it shakes even well after you're done fighting.

Turning off Volumetric lighting and postprocessing seems to have freed up enough headroom to hit 60fps min on my 770.

I really hate that filter they put on when you are in those outside sections. It's really ugly and completely detracts from the visuals. I hope they let us turn it off. So many unnecessary visual effects ruining this game.

AllenShrz

Tired to play again, no luck. That message of me running out of RAM persists regardless that I have put everything on low. Im afraid it might damage my SSHD, so I will stop trying to run this piece of shit software.

Ci5 3570K at 4Ghz
7970 ghz 3VRAM (Tired 3 different drivers, no luck)
16GB Ram
Win7 PRO 64bit
Single monitor 1920x1200 Dell

I truly regret buying this.

Maffis

Well turning off nvidia turbulence and settings all options to high instead of very high, and allocating physx back to auto has been running perfectly for me. just played 3 hours and not a single crash, and the framerate is really solid (feels way above 60fps). I also have post-processing and volumetric lightning on.

playing on a i7-3770k, gtx 680 SLI and 16gb of ram.

sentry65

Been rock solid for me too for many hours of play now @ 55-65fps

i7 930@4.2ghz
radeon 7950OC 3gig
24 gigs ram

settings are:
1920x1080
models high
textures high
shadows medium
post processing off
anisotropic 4x
volumetrics on
turbulance off
vsync off

On problem seems to be it staying stuck at 4x anisotropic and not saving it when I switch it to 16x even in the config file. Game looks great though. The post processing being on and using high/veryhigh shadows eat a ton of performance on my system

pixlexic

Banned
This fucking game still crashing during the fight with the 2nd boss, no matter the settings, unacceptable to release the game in such a state. I played like an hour going back and forth killing mobs in between but when it comes to that part it always randomly crash during the fight.

Yeah that's happening to me to.

Buburibon

Yeah that's happening to me to.

Are you guys running overclocked GPUs by any chance? I couldn't get passed the 2nd boss until I lowered my 980's overclock from 1514Mhz to 1460Mhz. The original overclock seemed fine with every other game I've tried, but Lords just wouldn't take it.

Sanctuary

This game is seriously fucked. I had zero crashes last night, and after the update I've had seven hard freezes in a single hour.

edit: I didn't change PhysX to CPU, so I'll see if I get another freeze after doing that. Still doesn't mean the game was optimized well at all, because it wasn't.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Since switching PhysX to my CPU rather than my GPU I've noticed my average FPS go up (I'm getting 60fps in some sections with everything maxed at 1440p) and my crashes are now one every half-an-hour as opposed to one every few minutes.

Baby steps I suppose.

Rhaknar

This game is seriously fucked. I had zero crashes last night, and after the update I've had seven hard freezes in a single hour.

edit: I didn't change PhysX to CPU, so I'll see if I get another freeze after doing that. Still doesn't mean the game was optimized well at all, because it wasn't.

Nobody is arguing that it's optimized, I think we are just happy when a fix works lol

No crashes for me today, knock on wood

Zeliard

Anyone know where save files are located? Doesn't seem to be in the main dir and the save folder in Documents is empty.

Rhaknar

Anyone know where save files are located? Doesn't seem to be in the main dir and the save folder in Documents is empty.

did yours get corrupted or something? :/

Zeliard

did yours get corrupted or something? :/

I thought it had, actually. I crashed and tried loading the save file up several times, and it would just CTD after loading. Temporarily disabled Shadowplay and MSI Afterburner's overlay and then it loaded up properly, to my relief. Not even sure that's what really solved it, since I can otherwise load and play the game just fine (so to speak) with those programs running.

Rhaknar

I thought it had, actually. I crashed and tried loading the save file up several times, and it would just CTD after loading. Temporarily disabled Shadowplay and MSI Afterburner's overlay and then it loaded up properly, to my relief. Not even sure that's what really solved it, since I can otherwise load and play the game just fine (so to speak) with those programs running.

is MSI afterburner messing with games a "thing" btw, ive been wanting to ask. Because Ive been having problems with several games lately, coincidence or not, I started to use MSI recently :/

also MSI does NOT play well with OBS at all

Zeliard

is MSI afterburner messing with games a "thing" btw, ive been wanting to ask. Because Ive been having problems with several games lately, coincidence or not, I started to use MSI recently :/

also MSI does NOT play well with OBS at all

In my experience when MSI Afterburner/RTSS interferes with a game it's usually when trying to launch it. Some games bug out when there's an overlay like Afterburner or Fraps running, and others don't like you running D3DOverrider's Triple Buffering option.

When I can't get a game to launch those are the things I'll check first, and they're usually the cause. It's never been an issue when trying to load a save, though.

Rhaknar

Haven't had any lockups or crashes since switching PhysX to CPU. That's just such an odd issue...

thats what happened to me the day after launch. Then there was the turbulance option patch, and that fixed it for me so I switched PhysX back to auto (which puts it on the second 970)

but I actually think ill go back to CPU physx, the game STILL runs better like that and I dont know why

GHG

So I this not safe to buy yet...?

I might get SO instead, crushed blacks and all.

Games these days... Sigh.

AXE

I only got a chance to check out the first room/area a little last night, since I was mostly playing with graphic settings. With everything set to highest quality at 1080p, I was averaging between 45-60fps. Not sure if that is normal for my setup or not...

My Specs

- Nvidia 780 Ti
- ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO
- Intel Core i7-4770K
- 16GB Ram

I've 45 - 60 frames for the first few hours in, at 2560 x 1440

MSI 780 ti
Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Asus Maximus VII HERO
i7 4790K
12GB RAM

While occasionally I really, really like how the game manages to look, there's that CA action going on and I throw up in my mouth a little. I mean, who in their right mind thinks this was a good idea? Watching that extreme crap on my screen is bound to make me epileptic.

Avoid this game at its current state. Avoid.

Valnen

That sounds like a good plan. I mean why settle for 50-60 FPS at high image quality when you can enjoy 30 fps at medium?

Edit: Wait, is it sarcasm maybe?

OP says 48-57, not 50-60. That means it'd probably be a stuttering mess. I *could* lock it down to 30, but for some reason locking games down to 30 on PC looks worse than a game being locked down to 30 on console.

Sothpaw

Just want to throw in I have only had one crash (4 hours total) and zero performance issues at 1080p with:

16GB

OP says 48-57, not 50-60. That means it'd probably be a stuttering mess. I *could* lock it down to 30, but for some reason locking games down to 30 on PC looks worse than a game being locked down to 30 on console.

Those benchmarks were with Nvidia Turbulence effects activated. I urge you to reconsider, you'll have a much worse experience for literally no reason at all.

Wray

It's true. I disabled Turbulence in the Nvidia Games Menu on my system and my frames went from the 45-60 range to the 70-80 range.

Radian8

Since the 60MB patch came out the game has been near unplayable for me. Pre patch it was running sweet once I just physx to CPU, never crashed, no stuttering and amazing performance.

Now it's a stuttering, crashing mess. Played around with settings but in the end was getting to pissed off. It's amazing they would release show a buggy game.
The disappointing thing is I was loving the game up until that patch :( Hopefully these issues get ironed out soon.

BTW, I can make the game crash on command by using the third bosses special weapon one handed attack on enemies (it causes a tentacle thing to appear out of the ground) insta crash every time.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Heads up: LotF devs just confirmed they're planning to allow PC players to disable CA in their stream.

Since the 60MB patch came out the game has been near unplayable for me. Pre patch it was running sweet once I just physx to CPU, never crashed, no stuttering and amazing performance.

Now it's a stuttering, crashing mess. Played around with settings but in the end was getting to pissed off. It's amazing they would release show a buggy game.
The disappointing thing is I was loving the game up until that patch :( Hopefully these issues get ironed out soon.

BTW, I can make the game crash on command by using the third bosses special weapon one handed attack on enemies (it causes a tentacle thing to appear out of the ground) insta crash every time.

I have the same problems, was running fine and with no crashes before the patch, now I can't play it because of extreme stuttering and random crashes.

Are you using Win8.1? That's about the only thing that I can think about, since my specs are pretty common (3570k, 8gb, gtx 670 2gb)

negru08

Neo Member
So I have the Steam version of the game. I have a Nvidia 780 Ti. I get anywhere from 55-60 with random drops to lower 40s. Game seems pretty stable but I also have Post-Processing turned off. my Antiscoptic filter is at 4X ( I cant seem to make it go higher and save?) Nvida turbulence turned off and Vsync turned on (without Vsync the game looks choppy even though it runs between 68-81 but it is constantly jumping so it just looks horrible)

But the game will still randomly crash and I have no idea why. IT does it at complety different times . I was wondering if downloading this patcher will work. Has anyone tried?

http://gameserrors.com/fix-lords-of-the-fallen-errors-crashes-stopped-working-freezes/#comment-107

It state that you pick what fix you want and it will check the files and fix and add new files that are needed. So what happens if you check all the options and click patch. Will it break the game since it is adding new files?

**Edit - I also have Windows 7 and I turned off windows Aero and let windows set my desktop and programs for best performance. If I have windows aero turned on it crashes more often. May want to give that a shot if your game crashes alot.

Phinor

Nooo, another crash even with PhysX on CPU and Nvidia turbulence turned off. Another hour+ of progress completely lost due to how the game handles saving, or rather doesn't.

I might have to shelve this one. The problem is, I almost never return to games I've put on hold. Early impressions were great but the further into the game I get, the less I like it (mainly the enemies). The crashes are not helping at all.

Zomba13

Looks like I'm getting random crashes again even with Nvidia Turbulence turned off. Was working fine with it off yesterday allowing me to play for hours at a time but now it's randomly crashing. I always check at launch that the setting is still disabled because it can randomly turn itself back on but I only play when the setting shows disabled and I'm still getting the same crash error as when it was on.

Wurstsemmel

Neo Member
i5-2500k, 770 4GB, 8GB Ram

Performance for me ist absolute shit. On max settings I get 40-60fps, on lowest settings 50-60fps. Fans are spinning so fast that I wonder why my rig hasn't flown away.
Disabling vsync hasn't fixed my framerate, it just goes up to ~70fps sometimes. Even at 60fps it stutters when rotating the camera.
Will wait and hope for another patch. Don't understand why even on lowest settings it runs so bad.

rybrad

I am almost done with the game and am so fucking sick of redoing shit because of these crashes. If their team is too incompetent to code a game that doesn't fucking crash all the time then they sure as fuck shouldn't roll you back to the checkpoint every time it crashes. This game has a lot of of great qualities but the crashing has absolutely ruined it for me.

Zomba13

So apparently if you have multiple monitors that can also cause crashing? Because I have my PC monitor and my HDTV connected and I've been playing this on my TV. IT's weird though because even with both monitors connected and on I could play yesterday for hours with no issue.

This really sucks. I'm enjoying the game for what it is but losing progress sucks (I actually crashed yesterday just after getting to a checkpoint to save after a boss. Didn't lose any progress but was damn close). I'm honestly wishing I bought the game on PS4 now which even with other "bad" PC versions (like DR3) I was still glad to play it on my PC (I actually had no real issues with DR3).

I think I'll give it one other go with PhysX to CPU, Turbulence off in the settings and my monitor disabled while in big picture mode (speaking of that, does anyone else get the prompt that you need a KB+M for this game even though that isn't true?).

I have to run this in windowed mode in order to prevent the game from crashing. I was so pissed off yesterday because it kept crashing in fullscreen mode. Crashing is more punishing than the game itself. They really need to patch this.

Top Bottom