• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lossless Scaling - Frame generation at home?

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll

Is anyone using this program? It can upscale games and even videos. It promises to increase 30 fps to 60, 60 to 120, and 72 to 144, with little input delay. They say the only problem is that VRR doesn't work? Can I get some feedback from those with experience?

I need to do thorough research before investing 3 dollars(regional price?).

Rudius

I use it to upscale 1080p games to 4K on my monitor, if I can't just use NIS. The frame generator was a bit too heavy to be useful.

The image quality is good when upscaling 1080p to 4K if the game has TAA. I think Gsync works with the upscaler.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Haven't tested it, but from other people's comments, it is better than AMFM, but worst than a native implementation of FSR3 FG.
So if you really want FG in a game that does not support it, this is the best choice.

Also consider that there are mods, such as Lukefz uniscaler, that allows using FSR FG in games that only have DLSS FG.

Mowcno

Been using it a while. The recently released update to framegen is a big improvement. 30fps to 60fps works quite well but you will get varying amounts of distortion depending on the content you are scaling.

By locking duckstation to 30fps on Nvidia control panel and then changing emulation speed to 200% (as 30fps lock makes it run games at half speed for some reason) I managed to get framegen in PS1 games. Had to do it like this as duckstation runs at 60hz even if the game it's playing is 30hz and the duplicate frames mess with the framegen.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Haven't tested it, but from other people's comments, it is better than AMFM, but worst than a native implementation of FSR3 FG.
So if you really want FG in a game that does not support it, this is the best choice.

Also consider that there are mods, such as Lukefz uniscaler, that allows using FSR FG in games that only have DLSS FG.
Those mods are specific to each game, right? I don't want to deal with each game individually. I have a 3060ti card, and I aim to get 60 fps on some emulators and some videos. I think I'll try this program. Looks promising.

winjer

Gold Member
Those mods are specific to each game, right? I don't want to deal with each game individually. I have a 3060ti card, and I aim to get 60 fps on some emulators and some videos. I think I'll try this program. Looks promising.

LukeFz uniscaler works in a ton of games. It's still in a preview state, but with each update, compatibility is significantly improved.
There are other mods that do similar things.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
LukeFz uniscaler works in a ton of games. It's still in a preview state, but with each update, compatibility is significantly improved.
There are other mods that do similar things.
I read that it injects something into game files and especially in online games, it can cause bans. It can also cause crashes in games.

I bought the program btw. So far, I used it while watching a series. I can't say it's perfect, but I enjoyed watching the series at around 50-60 fps. I quickly tried it on a GameCube emulator, and experiencing 60fps in Twilight Princess was nice. Some artifacts appear on Link's head from time to time, but I don't think it will be more annoying than playing at 30 fps. I can share more as I experience it.

ReBurn

Gold Member
That's not frame generation at home.

This is frame generation at home:

winjer

Gold Member
I read that it injects something into game files and especially in online games, it can cause bans. It can also cause crashes in games.

I bought the program btw. So far, I used it while watching a series. I can't say it's perfect, but I enjoyed watching the series at around 50-60 fps. I quickly tried it on a GameCube emulator, and experiencing 60fps in Twilight Princess was nice. Some artifacts appear on Link's head from time to time, but I don't think it will be more annoying than playing at 30 fps. I can share more as I experience it.

It's never good to use mods or injectors in online games.
For something like Alan Wake 2, Lukez mods allows to use FSR3 FG.
It works better than Lossless scaling or AMFM.

I mean. If this app can add this to almost any game, why can't AMD or Nvidia do it?

Both AMD & Nvidia have driver level upscaling at least. AMD also has that AFMF for RDNA2+ GPU's that can inject interpolated frames to most games at a driver level, probably works about as well as it does for Lossless Scaling. It's only really Nvidia that has frame gen locked away to supported games

Porticus

AMD's "AMD Fluid Motion Frames" works on any DX11/DX12 game so basically any modern game. Don't know how good it is or why it's locked to DX11/DX12.

True but it doesn't work on Vega or RX5xx, while this app not only does work on those plus the quality is higher.

Last edited:
Finally got around to trying the frame gen on this and it's surprisingly useable. Bought the app yonks ago to get around this weird 3840×1620 stutter I got when switching to Nvidia, but haven't used in ages (can't custom Res in Nvidia CP if DLDSR is active). The LS1 scaler is also neat for a generic AI upscaler and settled on that over FSR or NIS.

Best use case outside old games is those naff Switch & PS4 ports that are locked at 1080/60. A lot quicker than modding and looks good on something like Deadly Premonition 2.

Danknugz

Been using it a while. The recently released update to framegen is a big improvement. 30fps to 60fps works quite well but you will get varying amounts of distortion depending on the content you are scaling.

By locking duckstation to 30fps on Nvidia control panel and then changing emulation speed to 200% (as 30fps lock makes it run games at half speed for some reason) I managed to get framegen in PS1 games. Had to do it like this as duckstation runs at 60hz even if the game it's playing is 30hz and the duplicate frames mess with the framegen.

this sounds sick does it work with most titles? would love to see og ridge racer at 60 fps

Top Bottom