• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Odyssey Finally Backward Compatible on XB1

GHG

Holy fuck this is the best news ever.

Sucks that its dusk only but I dont give a fuck. Time to hunt down the Japanese box version where you get the proper multi disk holder.

God why did I ever sell this game?

dankir

Last JPRG I played, put in 90+ hours. The ring system was great and one the best RPG fighting engines I've played.

Worst big bad guy/final boss ever. Don't even get me started on the final boss music.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Any idea if there will be issues with me using the HK version? Don't wanna be digging through tons of old games if it's not gonna work.

This is the one I have (with the really nice box and cover art). I popped it in, and it's installing.

I'm convinced that Sakaguchi's direction to Uematsu for the soundtrack was "do whatever you want."

The final boss theme is a good example of this, it's completely nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywzw9cHTrDk

I honestly don't think it's that different from his FF work. Like, aside from the bizarre Sheena Easton vocal track, which is clearly "MS money, what actual pop celebrity can we get?" (Much the same as Deep Purple's singer doing his hilarious turn in Blue Dragon) I feel like this is fairly in line with One Winged Angel / The Extreme / Grand Cross from 7/8/9... which makes sense, because I've always felt like Lost Odyssey feels like a weird lost PS1-era FF that arrived two generations late.

Bought Xbox one to play Forza 3 and Gears 4 last week, I have downloaded the latest update, but when I put Lost Odyssey to try it, it requires an update with 22GB download, I think I wont play the game today :(

Edit: It says installing, not downloading, I don't understand? The game should be fully installed on Xbox one?

Amirnol

This game was amazing! What I wouldn't give to have it available on PC as well. In either case, more accessibility to this awesome game is greatly appreciated!

BlondeTuna

Great to finally see this in the BC catalog!

I hated how Disc 4 came in a paper sleeve in the US packaging. My disc is scratched to utter hell. They definitely need to make this a digital purchase so everyone who missed out doesn't have to hunt for discs.

Bought Xbox one to play Forza 3 and Gears 4 last week, I have downloaded the latest update, but when I put Lost Odyssey to try it, it requires an update with 22GB download, I think I wont play the game today :(

The update isn't an update - it's poor phrasing, really. The 22GB download is the game. The Xbox 360 backwards compatibility doesn't actually read anything from the disc - it just uses the disc to verify you own the game and then downloads a different version of the game that's been specially repackaged for Xbox One. So the 22gb download is actually the whole game, all four discs, packaged into one Xbox One friendly executable.

The Felo

Neo Member
I remember reading one of those 1,000 Years of Dreams stories back when I first played this game and having to hold back tears. Nothing I had ever played before or have played since has had that gotten that type of emotional response out of me.

Can't wait to revisit this. Beautiful game.

PSGames

Well there goes my free time for the next month. Props to the BC team for the quantity as of late. Now if they could somehow work a deal to get MvC3 I could hang up my 360 for good.

XB1 finally worth it now.

I wouldn't be surprised if this were true for quite a few people.

I'm convinced that Sakaguchi's direction to Uematsu for the soundtrack was "do whatever you want."

The final boss theme is a good example of this, it's completely nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywzw9cHTrDk

One of my favorite final boss themes I have heard by Uematsu. Love when the drums and bizarre chanting come in and how the song uses the villain's theme you had heard throughout the game. I don't think the lame villain/boss deserved such an awesome song though. I heard the song before fighting him and I expected more.

wmlk

The update isn't an update - it's poor phrasing, really. The 22GB download is the game. The Xbox 360 backwards compatibility doesn't actually read anything from the disc - it just uses the disc to verify you own the game and then downloads a different version of the game that's been specially repackaged for Xbox One. So the 22gb download is actually the whole game, all four discs, packaged into one Xbox One friendly executable.

Lost Odyssey is one of Uematsu's best offerings, and it's a damn shame that it's ignored.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZu-QQWLAdg

So, so good. You can trace this style back so many years and it never fails.

I don't recall this game getting much love when it came out.

It did, and it actually performed well in sales also.

You might remember it that way because as far as overall feedback the game was a victim of being a console exclusive and supposed "FF killer" at a time when the console wars were in full swing and FF had not gone multi-platform yet. Which is unfortunate because the game is great.

Oh I understand now. Thanks man. I thought it would be much easier to play Xbox 360 games.

anaron

I don't recall this game getting much love when it came out.
expectations were kind of ridiculous at the time. It also had performance issues like the loading times, multiple discs, etc.

it also being on a console with a traditionally lower JRPG userbase made its outreach comparatively smaller.

Varg

Banned
A true dream come true. First a cheap xbox one s from the target thing and now my favorite jrpg next to final fantasy 7 and 10. My god.

jmdajr

expectations were kind of ridiculous at the time. It also had performance issues like the loading times, multiple discs, etc.

It did, and it actually performed well in sales also.

You might remember it that way because as far as overall feedback the game was a victim of being a console exclusive and supposed "FF killer" at a time when the console wars were in full swing and FF had not gone multi-platform yet. Which is unfortunate because the game is great.

It very much did.

Might be all kinds of reasons. But yeah, I never bought it.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

I remember being so salty because reviewers tore the game apart for being 'archaic', 'old school', 'out of time' and such. That was when the western AAA scene was creeping up and journalists were no longer scared of shitting on JRPGs regardless of their pedigree

joebruin

Decent game but probably one of the most overrated underrated games. Still worth a play though. People were starved for jRPGs.

Jansen da best. And the thousand year stories will make you shed a tear lol but man are there some bad character designs in this game lol

Kaibutsu

Just some FYI, the game originally came in single case that had all 4 discs stacked up on top of each other so expect lots of scratched discs if you get these used. The first thing I did when I got my copy of the game when it came it was put it into a 4 disc case.

edit: I did the same thing with Blue Dragon's 3 discs

edit2: I wish my 2 TB One S would hurry up and get here from Target so I'll actually have room to install it. It's already "shipped" but it's been waiting for UPS to come pick it up since Monday...

I honestly don't think it's that different from his FF work. Like, aside from the bizarre Sheena Easton vocal track, which is clearly "MS money, what actual pop celebrity can we get?" (Much the same as Deep Purple's singer doing his hilarious turn in Blue Dragon) I feel like this is fairly in line with One Winged Angel / The Extreme / Grand Cross from 7/8/9... which makes sense, because I've always felt like Lost Odyssey feels like a weird lost PS1-era FF that arrived two generations late.
To me, his work on Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey has an energy to it that may be explained by being "unshackled" from Final Fantasy.

And I don't mean that in a bad way, but dude was being tasked to create four and five CD soundtracks and had decades of expectations to live up to.

Those two soundtracks and lean and pure, unfiltered Uematsu, almost as if he was doing what he wanted just for the fun of it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Great news to my Xbox One owning brothers. Lost Odyssey is one of the best JRPG's of that generation. The 360 version on disc had severely long battle loading times which were mostly fixed with the NXE installs.

I don't recall any specific technical blemishes with the game, so don't really see how else it could be improved beyond even quicker loading times on the xbone.

Zomba13

I should go back to this. I stopped playing at a part where I had to fight like, 4 big monsters on the ocean or something?

Just some FYI, the game originally came in single case that had all 4 discs stacked up on top of each other so expect lots of scratched discs if you get these used. The first thing I did when I got my copy of the game when it came it was put it into a 4 disc case.

edit: I did the same thing with Blue Dragon's 3 discs

You only need the first disc though.

EYEL1NER

Nice. I need to pick up where I left off one of these days. I'll upload my save to the cloud soon though for when I get around to playing it again.

Huh, the GameStop near me has a copy. Maybe I'll pick it up on the way home...

Also, guess I should have picked up Toy Story 3 last time it was dirt cheap. GAF keeps talking it up.

There was a sentiment among some at the time that all the 360 JRPGs were the soulless offspring of MS moneyhats and as a result weren't worth bothering with. After all, once the Japanese PS3 output cranked up properly we would see the REAL next-gen RPGs the creators wanted to make. It...didn't exactly turn out that way, but by the time everyone realized it, games like Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon were no longer hot topics.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
We had an RDR OT when that went BC, right? If someone wanted to make a Lost Odyssey OT, I'd like to play this game with my GAF colleagues...

anaron

There was a sentiment among some at the time that all the 360 JRPGs were the soulless offspring of MS moneyhats and as a result weren't worth bothering with. After all, once the Japanese PS3 output cranked up properly we would see the REAL next-gen RPGs the creators wanted to make. It...didn't exactly turn out that way, but by the time everyone realized it, games like Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon were no longer hot topics.

yep.

I really want to see how much more popular the game will get if it ever goes to PC.

Top Bottom