• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Odyssey [FREE!] and Blue Dragon [$19] available for digital download!

CSX

Is Blue Dragon a rare game to find physical used copies of for cheaper than $20?

Hearing high praise from Aeana makes me interested but if it's bargain bin cheap, I rather try getting a physical copy.

People need to jump on this. This is, for people who like these sorts of games, an absolute megaton. This game being available digitally, much less free, is incredible. If people don't snap this up fast, and give it a serious play at some point in the future, you will regret it. And Blue Dragon is another fantastic game that people should give a shot. It's totally worth it, especially at such a great price.

Both titles are amazing in their own way, with their own special charm.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Found out about this in the Xbox One download speed thread. Fan-freaking-tastic.

Is Blue Dragon actually worth it, though?

For people intrested. This is how much better both games run with BC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdrLbJQz7BE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyv3yyOERG8

Lost Odyssey is mostly an amazing perform, but Blue Dragon, while it has many moments when it's flawless, has some moments that I immediately know will benefit from running on the Xbox One. I'm actually more excited to see the performance improvements on Blue Dragon. Anyone that has played it extensively will know that Kluke's Phoenix, whenever it attacks in any fashion, is usually a major culprit where performance is concerned. I know those moments, and some key scenes and battles in the game, will benefit greatly from BC on Xbox One.

Man this has to lead to something right?

Yep, that's exactly what I'm thinking, and will continue to think until Hironobu Sakaguchi shows up at my front door and tells me "Sorry, not happening."

Hell, I might even use the fact that he showed up at my house as proof that Microsoft are planning something, or else he wouldn't have showed up to my front door in the first place! lol.

orfax

Nice.

I already own Lost Odyssey on disc, but will grab the digital copy. The big news for me though is Blue Dragon. Will buy this over the weekend on my 360.

I had been waiting for these games to be available digitally for ages. I caved with Lost Odyssey when the opportunity came up to grab a physical copy.

Quadruple Dip Mother Fucker

bJQN2sc.png

H...how? Like, how can you buy 4 times a game that released twice? Your post made me laugh a lot, so thanks for that.

Man this has to lead to something right?

Where could it possibly lead? Their strategy of JRPG exclusives made some kind of sense at the beginning of last gen because it seemed like they were trying to make a legitimate push into Japan. They've thrown in the towel now. Not only would it be dumb for MS to invest in a JRPG at this point, the studio taking the money would be making a mistake because it would only hurt the health of the franchise.

This is just a really nice goodwill gesture to their fans.

mace999

Neo Member
Wow !!! I'm so happy that they chose to give Lost Odyssey for free and not Blue Dragon .....
My Xbox One is mainly used for backward compat 360 games and the PS4 for the new games, it's a great combo :)

rrc1594

Where could it possibly lead? Their strategy of JRPG exclusives made some kind of sense at the beginning of last gen because it seemed like they were trying to make a legitimate push into Japan. They've thrown in the towel now. Not only would it be dumb for MS to invest in a JRPG at this point, the studio taking the money would be making a mistake because it would only hurt the health of the franchise.

This is just a really nice goodwill gesture to their fans.

Scalebound is JRPG tho.......

Monocle

Nice. Lost Oddysey is a great game.

Found out about this in the Xbox One download speed thread. Fan-freaking-tastic.

I kind of dropped it after Disc 1 but it's really good. I should go back and finish it now.

I never thought I'd be playing these two games again. I'm highly satisfied. I loved Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon when they came out.

Garlador

This really is an amazing Christmas present for Xbox owners.

I'll be spreading the news of this to every friend I know who has yet to give the game a chance. Can't argue with a free gift.

Yep, that's exactly what I'm thinking, and will continue to think until Hironobu Sakaguchi shows up at my front door and tells me "Sorry, not happening."

Hell, I might even use the fact that he showed up at my house as proof that Microsoft are planning something, or else he wouldn't have showed up to my front door in the first place! lol.

LO2 bundled with Scorpio Nov. 2017..it's a wrap folks, end of the world.

clashfan

The art in BD is better then the gameplay. In my opinion the art work still looks great today. Gameplay is solid but also easy.

The art in BD is better then the gameplay. In my opinion the art work still looks great today. Gameplay is solid but also easy.
I always marked BD as one of the best looking games of that gen. So clean and colorful and sharpe. Framerate wise it was a wreck but hopefully X1 takes care of that. Looks like it did from reviews.

Video of cryon reminded me how much i was looking forward to that game.... music is so beautifully sad

I hope ms and mistwalker try to make one more game.

CCIE

Banned
The best XB1 RPG is a 360 game for free - MS owners should jump on that, because they aren't getting anything as good anytime soon!

Can't beat free. And both games were some of 360's best

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Wanted to say, this made my day. Was thinking of buying both BD and LO for my 360.

Definitely get BD when a sale comes.

Lost Odyssey is a 360 game I never finished that I wanted to. Would play if it was on PC. Blue Dragon I ended up not caring too much for. I think I got to the end but didn't care to press forward.

Dame

Get Lost Odyssey. Best JRPG of the generation (not that there was much competition).

Hahaha!

*loud sobbing*

I might be late to the party, but does this offer span to the pc xbox store as well? Never bothered to buy a mocrosoft product, so it'd be great if i could play it on pc.

Is Blue Dragon a rare game to find physical used copies of for cheaper than $20?

Hearing high praise from Aeana makes me interested but if it's bargain bin cheap, I rather try getting a physical copy.
You can get a used copy that's a little over $20 at Amazon.

Lost Odyssey will always be remembered by me for two things:

It killed my launch system at the final boss fight. Getting to that final moment and the screen goes black...waiting for a cut scene to start...waiting..waiting...oh shit this isn't good. Turn the system off then back on and get greeted by the red ring of death.

It's also the game that got me back into JRPGs after a decade long hiatus. Once I got a new 360 a few weeks later I was able to finish the game, then hungry for another JRPG picked up Blue Dragon. Then a few months later came Persona 4. That was such a great year.

I so want to play these again but I don't have time...I'll at least have to load them up and play for a bit now that I don't have a lazy excuse about having to unearth my 360 discs from the basement.

These are such good games. Thank you Santa Phil and your compatibility elves.

Dueck

Banned
I guarded my physical copies for nothing... It even says "own it forever" in the digital store. I'm wondering if I should sell LO now.

GHG

Gold Member
Hmmm maybe they just think Scalenound will fill up that need it is a JRPG

Scalebound is JRPG tho.......

Scalebound is not a JRPG in the traditional sense. Its only so much of a JRPG in the fact that its an RPG made by a team of primarily Japanese developers.

Anyone seeking a JRPG experience in that game will end up majorly disappointed.

I wish LO being free would point towards something bigger in the future but I can't see it personally. The bean counters at microsoft would block it the moment its as much as mentioned.

I'd very much like to be proven wrong though because LO2/BD2 or even Cry On would be amazing.

thank you!

i'm glad they got these up on the digital store. i've always wanted to try blue dragon. it seemed like it could have been the dragon quest/final fantasy mash up i always wanted (no idea if it is though!)

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Hahaha!

*loud sobbing*

I might be late to the party, but does this offer span to the pc xbox store as well? Never bothered to buy a mocrosoft product, so it'd be great if i could play it on pc.

No, but you might as well claim it for free if you have an MS account

Holy shit, that's awesome. I was praying they'd make LO playable without a disk and not only did make it fully digital, but they made it free!

Izuna

Banned
H...how? Like, how can you buy 4 times a game that released twice? Your post made me laugh a lot, so thanks for that.

LO:
Import
Release
Replacement (Release)
Replacement (Import)

BD:
Long after release
Replacement
Replacement (again, to show my ex)
Digital

I still have the last two of each.

I also have an u opened first press Japanese The Last Story (never played, but I will emulate one day).

Top Bottom