• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LOST |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sun screaming was incredibly gut wrenching.

Indeed.
My respect for her went to a million when she dicked over her dad and took control of his company. The way she came off the plane I was afraid she wasn't going to do anything about how her dad was then that happened. She became one of my favorite characters from that now.

Keep watching.

Well obviously I am or I wouldn't have made it to the end of season 4, I just annoyed because it's not how I wanted it to go.

oatmeal

Banned
Did she disappear, where are these pics D:

It was awkward...there were Jack, Sawyer and Claire...adn then some other little girl named Sage.

I was like "I have to get a picture of these three" and the mom of Sage got offended so I tried to explain, gave up, and jerked off in my bedroom.

JIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN!!!!!!!

I really like daniel faraday also, probably one of my favorite characters

Eidan

I had a dream where I was listening to a beautiful arrangement of "Life and Death". My soul yearns for a rewatch.

Dany

Banned
JIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN!!!!!!!

Where are you in the show?

Saw Matthew Fox on Tavis Smiley today promoting Emperor, his new WWII Gen. MacArthur flick. Dude seems to have aged quite a bit. Fond memories of Lost came back to me though just seeing him.

injurai

Banned
Saw Matthew Fox on Tavis Smiley today promoting Emperor, his new WWII Gen. MacArthur flick. Dude seems to have aged quite a bit. Fond memories of Lost came back to me though just seeing him.

I will forever see him as Jack, but I'm actually pretty interested in that movie. More so because of TLJ though.

NinjaBoiX

I recently started a rewatch myself. About halfway done with season 2.

The show just sucks you back in. I love the part in season 1 when they're playing a song to end the episode, and Hurley's batteries died and the music cuts out.

What a great fucking series!
LOST has some big problems, it really does. But man oh man, it has some huge strengths too.

Characters, music, setting, acting (in the main), excitement, intrigue, and to top it off, it's often quite amusing.

Plus, plot going mental aside, it has some really good writing, dialogue wise. I love the scene with Jack and Locke:

Locke - "Why do you find it so hard to believe?"

Jack - "Why do you find it so easy?"

Locke - "It's never been easy!"

I adore this show, probably in my top five.

WJD

Started watching this with my girlfriend a few weeks ago and we're halfway through Season 4.

Enjoying it so far, but the most recent Desmond episode (Oxford... Eloise... etc) has got me worried about the next few seasons. Should I be worried?

Real Hero

Started watching this with my girlfriend a few weeks ago and we're halfway through Season 4.

Enjoying it so far, but the most recent Desmond episode (Oxford... Eloise... etc) has got me worried about the next few seasons. Should I be worried?
The only response that epsiode should make you have is' wow that was GREAT!'

NinjaBoiX

I think you still have the best LOST episode ever to come:

The Constant...

tumblr_m413hztuvm1roqhya.gif

It's just one of my favourite episodes of any TV show, it's just genius.

He doesn't visit Eloise in that episode right? What's the episode WJD is referring to?

Salmonax

I think you still have the best LOST episode ever to come:

The Constant...

It's just one of my favourite episodes of any TV show, it's just genius.

He doesn't visit Eloise in that episode right? What's the episode WJD is referring to?

The Constant IS the Eloise episode. I assume he means he's worried it can't possibly get any better, because TV in general can't get much better.

NinjaBoiX

The Constant IS the Eloise episode. I assume he means he's worried it can't possibly get any better, because TV in general can't get much better.
Pretty much.

Man, every edit is just marvellous, the way it segue's into the next scene. And I love him and Penny together, they are a couple its easy to root for.

Dany

Banned
Season 6 forever killed the show for me. It retroactively ruins the entire show. I can still enjoy it, but it'll never be the same.

I don't get this. Season 1 is great, so is 2,3,4,5 and somehow season 6 a great season into a bad one? I will never understand this point of view.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.

QFgfJQj.gif

WJD

Pretty much.

Man, every edit is just marvellous, the way it segue's into the next scene. And I love him and Penny together, they are a couple its easy to root for.

I loved all that stuff and especially the ending phone call. The worry stems entirely from the whole time travel aspect and how prominent that might become later on.

NinjaBoiX

I don't get this. Season 1 is great, so is 2,3,4,5 and somehow season 6 a great season into a bad one? I will never understand this point of view.
Yup.

I watched the show, loved it all the way up to the end of season 4, and then I was disappointed by the last two. It was still good TV, just a step down. The last episode is fantastic though.

I can rewatch the show, and probably enjoy it more, knowing to temper my expectations.
I loved all that stuff and especially the ending phone call. The worry stems entirely from the whole time travel aspect and how prominent that might become later on.
tumblr_mcxg69YBF21rtzlzf.gif

I don't know what to tell you man...

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Been forever since I've typed in a Lost topic.

Only thing I've noticed is, is that Erigu hasn't posted here in 9 days. I think he might be deceased.

GRW810

The trouble with Lost is that people spent six years speculating, built up their own theories, then hated when they were wrong. People had their own imagined ending, then when that didn't happen they decided the whole show was shit.

I loved the show, and I really liked the ending. Lost had its flaws, it fumbled and flailed at times, and I certainly think they changed plans at certain points. But at its best it was a remarkable show.

Something that has always made me laugh is people saying "they're just making it up as they go along", as if anything else in the world is started and finished at the click of fingers with nothing changed at any point. The ending was even decided in the very first creative meeting. People absolutely loved to hate on this show, which is a testament to how good it really was in my opinion.

One of the best conversations I every had about Lost went like this:

Them: "Lost is stupid, it makes no sense."

Me: "How many episodes did you watch?"

Them: "Three."

There you go, 3/100+ episodes and somehow it didn't make sense to them. Amazing.

EDIT: No sure why I had this rant, guess I've been looking for a place to have an intelligent conversation about the show for years.

NinjaBoiX

:(

On an unrelated note, Hayley Williams has such lovely perky boobs.
She does, yes.

*resists gif folder*

Don't worry man, it's still good, but it goes a little batshit crazy. The ending is magnificent though. Make sure no one you are embarrassed about crying in front of is around when you finally finish up.. You're GF may be inconsolable!

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
The trouble with Lost is that people spent six years speculating, built up their own theories, then hated when they were wrong. People had their own imagined ending, then when that didn't happen they decided the whole show was shit.

I loved the show, and I really liked the ending. Lost had its flaws, it fumbled and flailed at times, and I certainly think they changed plans at certain points. But at its best it was a remarkable show.

Something that has always made me laugh is people saying "they're just making it up as they go along", as if anything else in the world is started and finished at the click of fingers with nothing changed at any point. The ending was even decided in the very first creative meeting. People absolutely loved to hate on this show, which is a testament to how good it really was in my opinion.

One of the best conversations I every had about Lost went like this:

Them: "Lost is stupid, it makes no sense."

Me: "How many episodes did you watch?"

Them: "Three."

There you go, 3/100+ episodes and somehow it didn't make sense to them. Amazing.

EDIT: No sure why I had this rant, guess I've been looking for a place to have an intelligent conversation about the show for years.
You're really gonna play this card, huh? :/

If you're looking to have "intelligent conversation" about the show, why would you start off with the worst kind of generalized accusations?

GRW810

You're really gonna play this card, huh? :/

If you're looking to have "intelligent conversation" about the show, why would you start off with the worst kind of generalized accusations?
You're an ending-hater, huh?

Generalised suggests I said that EVERYONE did the same thing. I said people. Not "all people", not "everyone", not even "the majority", just "people". What should I have done, provide statistics? Anecdotal evidence?

But thanks for basically implying I'm not entitled to seek discussion about my favourite show because if some apparent fail. First reply to my first post in this thread and its confrontational off the bat. And not even about the show, just about me. Quality stuff. I bet you don't even re-read that bolded quote after reading this and accept I didn't generalise.

GRW810

People say that because there's only two ways to look at it: They made things up as they went along and thus were forced to come up with weird, inconsistent explanations that don't make sense or they planned thoroughly, in which case one has to wonder why no one ever pointed out how utterly stupid it is.
I actually think it's the second of the two. Anyone who has actually written any sort of story knows how nigh on impossible it is to just make it up. You need to at least have signposts ahead to guide you along.

I think they planned thoroughly but made some really bad decisions along the way. Things like Jack and Ana Lucia discussing building an army, which went nowhere. It was even a cliffhanger, and then the direction changed. But it still eventually reached the same planned goal of confrontation with the Others. The sickness that Rosseau mentioned, which was made out to be frightening and then casually tossed into a much, much later sub-plot with little care.

NinjaBoiX

I'll agree with a lot of the points in here, that some of the explanations for the strange goings on often amount to little more than, "just because, OK?"

GRW810

I'll agree with a lot of the points in here, that some of the explanations for the strange goings on often amount to little more than, "just because, OK?"
The writers claim that a lot of mysteries had to be relegated or dropped due to various reasons like time, but I share the sentiment of those above that it isn't acceptable. You can't set things up and not deliver. It happened too often.

I don't think it's a case of making it up though, but rather inefficient writing. I'm not so blinded by my love of the show to overlook that because the worst of the show was horribly bad. The good was just so good that it more than balanced it out.

As for the ending debate that gets people so riled, let me ask this: how did you all want it to end? However extensive or succinct you want to be, whether it's just the last scene or even a whole different approach to the final story arc, what were you expecting or hoping for?

I spent six years keeping an open mind so I think that's why I found the ending quite fitting. The church scene was, for me, simply a way of saying these people went through so much together that they're forever united. It made me think about the journey, and that gave me a sentimental feel as the final episode ended. I couldn't ask for more.

.GqueB.

Banned

I actually agree. I watched season 1 about 3 times all the way through before season 6 aired. Tried again recently and I just couldn't do it. I guess the journey isn't as good when you know where it's going. Sucks too. I used to love LOST rewatches.

It's not even something I can really explain either. I could sit here and give all the reasons in the world for the sake of discussion but at the end of the day I just couldn't sit through it again.

Catalix

Generalised suggests I said that EVERYONE did the same thing. I said people. Not "all people", not "everyone", not even "the majority", just "people". What should I have done, provide statistics? Anecdotal evidence?

But thanks for basically implying I'm not entitled to seek discussion about my favourite show because if some apparent fail. First reply to my first post in this thread and its confrontational off the bat. And not even about the show, just about me. Quality stuff. I bet you don't even re-read that bolded quote after reading this and accept I didn't generalise.
Woah where'd that come from? So many weird assumptions in one post. Ok then...

Your first post was a long rant generally aimed against critics of the show. It was already pretty confrontational on your part, so why are you surprised with my response? That's the topic you chose to open with, not even something concerning the virtues of the show itself. That's all I have to go on. "People" is a general term, so yes, it probably would've been a good idea to qualify your statements. I can't read your mind, dude.

And I'd be the last person to ever imply you can't discuss whatever the heck you want, as long as it pertains to the show. Just don't expect everyone to respond favorably to it.

Catalix

The writers claim that a lot of mysteries had to be relegated or dropped due to various reasons like time, but I share the sentiment of those above that it isn't acceptable. You can't set things up and not deliver. It happened too often.

I don't think it's a case of making it up though, but rather inefficient writing. I'm not so blinded by my love of the show to overlook that because the worst of the show was horribly bad. The good was just so good that it more than balanced it out.

As for the ending debate that gets people so riled, let me ask this: how did you all want it to end? However extensive or succinct you want to be, whether it's just the last scene or even a whole different approach to the final story arc, what were you expecting or hoping for?

I spent six years keeping an open mind so I think that's why I found the ending quite fitting. The church scene was, for me, simply a way of saying these people went through so much together that they're forever united. It made me think about the journey, and that gave me a sentimental feel as the final episode ended. I couldn't ask for more.
I did the same thing as well. I didn't really cling to any pet theories. Still found the show's conclusion to be an underwhelming mess.
I liked most of the flashsideways, the idea of a supernatural epilogue is kinda cool. Even liked The End.
Season 6 as a whole was a disaster though. Just wish most of the on-Island plots and characters had more satisfying conclusions. I don't think the writers did a good job of paying off most of the themes and mysteries from the previous 5 seasons either.

I agree wholeheartedly with ElTopo's criticisms.

Erigu

Only thing I've noticed is, is that Erigu hasn't posted here in 9 days. I think he might be deceased.
Wouldn't be a very funny joke if that turned out to be true, now, would it?

No, it was shit because it was an incredibly poorly written show.

Something that has always made me laugh is people saying "they're just making it up as they go along", as if anything else in the world is started and finished at the click of fingers with nothing changed at any point.
Nah, there's nothing wrong with improvisation. Hell, it can't be helped, on shows like that. But it was extremely poorly, carelessly improvised (even as the producers were swearing they at least knew what was up with the mysteries they were introducing). There was no character arc or theme worth a damn, the plot was an utterly nonsensical shaggy dog story, and as if that weren't enough, the ultimate "message" was a dumbfounding (but quite self-serving) "don't think too hard and just go with your guts".

The ending was even decided in the very first creative meeting.
You actually believe that?

Calling people "haters" isn't the best way to start intelligent conversations either...
(and I'm not sure how you could come to a conclusion like that based on Catalix's post anyway, really?)

I probably wouldn't have had as much of an issue with this if Lindeloff/Cuse hadn't proclaimed so often that they had things planned out, that things make sense, that they didn't make up shit along the way.
That was one of their main selling arguments, even: "We won't let you down like those other shows. Trust us, even if it doesn't look like it makes any fucking sense at the moment."

I watched season 1 about 3 times all the way through before season 6 aired. Tried again recently and I just couldn't do it. I guess the journey isn't as good when you know where it's going. Sucks too. I used to love LOST rewatches.
It's not even something I can really explain either. I could sit here and give all the reasons in the world for the sake of discussion but at the end of the day I just couldn't sit through it again.
Well, there really is a truckload of "yeah, this doesn't make sense because there's an explanation missing, here, but it's coming, we swear, and it's going to be awesome" parts, overall. And when you know it's either not coming or not going to be awesome at all...

Iceman

You actually believe that?

That Jack would
die in the same spot he first appeared on the island, with Vincent by his side, looking up as a plane took off? More or less, yes. A final conversation with his father? Yes. That Locke would be the vessel for the man in black who was trying to terminate all the other special Losties/replacements for Jacob so he could leave the island, and that Kate would be the one to kill him? No, that's pretty unlikely.

Dang, thinking back to all the events that transpired in six short seasons, I miss it even more. It packed a punch. Constantly changing and always surprising.

vidcons

Banned
been feeling kind of lost lately. school, work, just 0 direction. like i'm stranded in this room. wish there was something more exciting to say. eh,

gdt

Haha, I guess it would be worse watching it the first time aired.

I get the feeling this ending is going to be lackluster. There's a shitload of loose ends to tie up in the last season...

Fair warning, some of the stuff will not get tied up at all. And others in a lackluster fashion. But the characters will truly shine and and their stories all come together. Whether that is enough for you will determine your satisfaction with the final season/episode. For a lot of people, it isn't, and thats fair enough.

Fair warning, some of the stuff will not get tied up at all. And others in a lackluster fashion. But the characters will truly shine and and their stories all come together. Whether that is enough for you will determine your satisfaction with the final season/episode. For a lot of people, it isn't, and thats fair enough.

Haha, that's pretty much exactly what I'm expected.

Erigu

I miss lost. There is no scifi or thrilling show like that anymore... Well maybe person of interest
Shingeki no Kyojin begins next month and has mysteries and a flashback-based structure!
... Sure, it also has reveals that make sense in retrospect and don't feel like they've just been improvised, but hey, two out of three isn't so bad.

injurai

Banned

I cried like a bitch at the end.

Then laid in bed for close to an hour just thinking about the whole story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom