• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lots of New Super Mario Maker Footage Round-Up

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Wait, Cape Mario is in? Thought they left that one out...

There's no Frog, right?

I love Ancel but I still can't believe how lame his level is, like it was made by a kid taking their first stab at a level editor.

I don't think it's that bad but it would have only worked if that was a sub-level or just part of a level.

That being the whole level sucks, especially since he was probably beaten to the punch by users that, because of the Pac Man Amiibo, were inspired to make a concept like that.

Zubz

Banned
Is there a video of his level?

No idea; all I know is that it's a Pac-Man tribute; maybe he thought he was being cute, but so will everyone else with the Pac-Man costume, probably.

I'd try to make a Sonic tribute myself, but, you know. Slopes. Mario slopes have nothing on Sonic's slopes, dips, and Möbius strips, anyway!

Is there a video of his level?

Yep, Miyamoto and Tezuka play it here while being interviewed at a French event:

http://youtu.be/ITNlB9KsLPg

I don't think it's that bad but it would have only worked if that was a sub-level or just part of a level.

Well yeah, that's kind of the entire issue with it. But I guess it actually shouldn't be a surprise he didn't exactly pour his heart into making the stage because Ancel said he actually doesn't enjoy playing Mario games:

http://www.destructoid.com/rayman-creator-doesn-t-like-mario-games-217243.phtml

Ancel:

"I will tell you something terrible -- I don't really enjoy playing Mario games," he confessed. "I don't like gliding, I don't like its inertia, and I don't like not being able to give some slaps! It's a fabulous series, and I understand that people love it, but it's not my cup of tea.

"I used to prefer Ghosts n' Goblins, Heart of Darkness, Another World -- games with a focus on the narrative side. Beyond that, I find Mario's controls very interesting, but I don't buy it. I can't help but seeing the ropes of the game, even if it works. The game is thrilling, obviously."

It sounds intentional and not a mistake. Maybe because lives are meaningless in this game?

I posted this at another forum too and their theory is that it's because the lives don't officially count in 100 Mario Challenge until you reach the end of the level. They're "not real" 1-ups so they don't get the real music, I guess?

Tyeforce

Has anyone else noticed that the 1-up mushroom sound in Mario Maker is wrong? It's like they never even listened to the original or something...

Original: E0 G0 E1 C1 D1 G1

Mario Maker: E0 G0 C1 G0 D1 E1

Even messed up in NSMB style...

Original

Mario Maker

The hell is going on here?!
I noticed this in a few videos of 10/100-Mario Challenge as well, but I'm pretty sure it's intentional. In level, the 1-Up sound effects are off, but at the end of the level when you're actually given the 1-Ups, the sound effect is right. I may be wrong, but I believe you can get many 1-Up Mushrooms in a level, but you can only get up to 3 extra lives per level, right? If that's the case, I imagine that's what happens at the end of the level, when it totals up the 1-Up Mushrooms and Coins collected (I think?) and gives you up to 3 "real" 1-Ups, which is when the original sound effect plays. I've not played the game yet, of course, and I'm going off of memory from what I've seen in levels, so I'm not certain, but maybe someone else can confirm if this is correct? That would explain the "fake" 1-Up sound effects.

EDIT: Beaten, lol.

Simbabbad

The issue here, I think, is that despite the logic of what you are saying, longer levels, which the editor does allow for, are disincentivized in their creation because players may not want to play long levels with no checkpoints. That is to say, if the game itself allows long levels, there is no reason for the game to then discourage creation of such levels by not including checkpoints.
A level can be physically long but not be long gameplay-wise. You can make an infinite number of levels which would fill the whole area given to you by SMM, that yet wouldn't feel long because their design would allow you to run the whole time (or find powerup backups). Contrariwise, you can make very short and dense levels that'd feel way too long gameplay-wise. The length in SMM is ideal for a level without checkpoints, people just have to design levels with this limitation. They all should fit into the rhythm of the 100 Mario Challenge.

Also, do the levels that "should" have checkpoints have powerup recharges? I think not, and yet the tool is there. Incompetent designer is just incompetent. Learning when to stop your level is part of level design.

What 2D mario games did you ever play with more than 1 checkpoint?
That's not the point, is it? The point is, do we allow checkpoints or not. And if we allow checkpoints, why just one? It's sort of weird to lament for checkpoints, and then happily decide it should be just one checkpoint. Why no checkpoints at all, then, and make two levels instead of one? It's the exact same bloody thing.

Of course if you die everything reverts back to normal. That is how it works in every single Mario game. Again why would that magically change now?
Because here Nintendo isn't doing the levels, and reverting everything back could result into trolling situations or situations overseen by the creator, and you can't allow this? Because it'd complicate things needlessly?

Say, I make a Metroid level where you have to grab the fire flower and then the Kuribo shoe. I put a checkpoint at each powerup. But when you die near the Kuribo shoe, you can get the shoe but not the fire flower any more. And I can find you tons of issues like this.

Plain and simple Mario Maker discourages long and challenging levels because mistakes are punished with having to start levels completely from scratch.
Well:

1) New Super Luigi U and Super Mario Bros. 3 have no checkpoint and they're IMO among the greatest and hardest 2D Mario games ever.

2) The levels that people say could benefit from checkpoints could also benefit from better designed difficulty, length, and extra powerups. Do they feature this? No. Why people overlooking those things not overlook checkpoints? Put a powerup instead of a checkpoint and set correctly your difficulty and you're done.

Exile20

What's not include?

t8CPuQyh.jpg

Volotaire

What's not include?

t8CPuQyh.jpg

Green coin/ring.

Hidden invisible areas in New Super Mario Bros.

Ability to swim in normal levels.

If you want to be pedantic, true SMB2 visuals (not SMB2 USA).

Mini Mushroom.

Penguin Suit

P Wing

Nabbit race Levels?

Ability to put flagpole in subworld.

Koopa Kids,

What's not include?

t8CPuQyh.jpg

Sadly missing a ton of the great NSMBU stuff. Why pick the two weakest powerups?

Technically, the mega mushroom is in, but requires the 30th aniversary amiibo.

Exactly and it was probably the least interesting powerup in terms of gameplay.

Instead of the Ice Flower the Penguin suit should be added because like the Tanooki Suit being and enhancement of Racoon Mario the Penguin suit is an enhancement of Ice Mario.

Also throws ice that freeze enemies. Doesn't slip on Ice and can slide on it. Finally has enhanced swimming like the Frog suit.

Raccoon Mario may not have been the best but it stills adds unique gameplay.

Finally Mini-Mario is probably the most revolutionary powerup in terms of control as it radically changes Mario's height and movement physics. He can run on water and jump off bubbles.

The Blue and Pink Baby Yoshis are super great for gameplay. Especially Blue paired with Mini Mario.

I just want 3 and U's powerups, slopes, above ground water, desert and ice backgrounds and finally the ability for larger levels.

No SMB1 elevators that keep scrolling up or down endlessly, no SMB1 scale platforms that raise and lower each other, no SMB1 platforms that fall when you touch them and stop when you get off (different from the doughnut blocks), no SMB1 brick background blocks as seen in 8-3, vines can't lead off the top of the screen to sub-areas as in SMB1...

Mistle

can you watch replays of people playing your level? if not, huge missed opportunity. making a level is fun, but without seeing anyone play it half the satisfaction is missing.

That's not the point, is it? The point is, do we allow checkpoints or not. And if we allow checkpoints, why just one? It's sort of weird to lament for checkpoints, and then happily decide it should be just one checkpoint. Why no checkpoints at all, then, and make two levels instead of one? It's the exact same bloody thing.
Eh the point was the ability to add a checkpoint will encourage people to use the full extent of the tools available. The other point is you allow 1 checkpoint because that is consistent with SMB1, 2, World and NSMB1 through U allow which are the games Mario Maker allows toolsets from. The other other point is that making 2 separate levels then requires users to actually play both of the same theme to get the same experience and the levels are not going to be ordered as such online. It's pretty straight forward. 1 checkpoint is consistent with then entire series. 0 checkpoints is not.

Because here Nintendo isn't doing the levels, and reverting everything back could result into trolling situations or situations overseen by the creator, and you can't allow this? Because it'd complicate things needlessly?

Again. The game should be consistent with the rule set of Mario games. Its called Super Mario Maker, why would it not follow the properties of every single Mario game? It's literally not complicated at all. You have to be able to finish a level from the checkpoint. If you can't finish it it is not valid. Its no different from the restriction that you have to be able to finish start to finish. There is no unforseen circumstances that can pop up if you aren't able to upload without finishing it from the checkpoint. I dont get how you dont understand that.

Say, I make a Metroid level where you have to grab the fire flower and then the Kuribo shoe. I put a checkpoint at each powerup. But when you die near the Kuribo shoe, you can get the shoe but not the fire flower any more. And I can find you tons of issues like this.

How is this an issue? Design around the fact that you need those things. This will never be an issue online. It will only demand the creator place required items at the checkpoint if you wanna create power up based levels. Need a fire flower to pass? Put an extra one at the checkpoint. Like I said. Checkpoints require design. Its not valid to say "oh shit, I gotta think about where I put it too!!!" Like that suddenly invalidates their usefulness. Generations of Mario games use them for a reason, pretending like it has no purpose in a game about making mario levels is pure stupid.

Well:

1) New Super Luigi U and Super Mario Bros. 3 have no checkpoint and they're IMO among the greatest and hardest 2D Mario games ever.

2) The levels that people say could benefit from checkpoints could also benefit from better designed difficulty, length, and extra powerups. Do they feature this? No. Why people overlooking those things not overlook checkpoints? Put a powerup instead of a checkpoint and set correctly your difficulty and you're done.

1) And the other 7 games in the series do use them so what is your point? The argument isnt that you cant make great levels without checkpoints, the argument is you can't create complex levels or ease difficulty for the player without them. SMB3 and NSLU also contain short levels and some of the smallest screens in the series. The SMM screens have the ability to extend far past what those games offered.

2) No, checkpoints are a design tool. You design levels with the knowledge that the player will get a form of ease by reaching them. Its more incentive to play challenging levels than just throwing in more power ups. Power ups can't solve every problem, that's why 7 games in this series use checkpoints. Why are you trying to play this shit off like they would never have any purpose in a Mario game? Have you like actually thought about what goes into choosing power ups and choosing checkpoints?

Platy

can you watch replays of people playing your level? if not, huge missed opportunity. making a level is fun, but without seeing anyone play it half the satisfaction is missing.

Almost sure that this is what the "check it out" means

7YXFS9L.png

amnesiac

Sorry if this was already asked.

Can you set an automatic power up based on what size Mario is? For example, can I have a block set to a mushroom when Mario is small and a Feather when Mario is big? Or do you have to place the specific one?

Lynd7

Sorry if this was already asked.

Can you set an automatic power up based on what size Mario is? For example, can I have a block set to a mushroom when Mario is small and a Feather when Mario is big? Or do you have to place the specific one?

Pretty sure you can't.

NateDrake

Heya, has off-TV play been confirmed for this?

Yes. You can play the game entirely on the GamePad.

Don't believe so. As that Notification screen post shows, you can checkout who has played, beaten, and starred your level.

mdtauk

Mario World is quite clever in how it uses it's backgrounds. It may seem there is little variety in it, but by changing the palettes for them, there is actually a lot of variation, most of which will be missing in Super Mario Maker.

(apologies for the large image)

There are loads of variations missing, which will frustrate people in time, unless Nintendo have plans to add more to it through DLC

I'm pretty sure there are no replays. Nobody has mentioned anything about that so far. I think it just takes you to your course to see the stats or something like that.

Maybe it's embargoed? I've watched some streams and lots of them allude to stuff they can't talk about.

Has anyone tried to make a level based on or inspired by Donkey Kong or Donkey Kong 2: Jumpman Returns? I searched on YT and couldn't find anything.

Maybe it's embargoed? I've watched some streams and lots of them allude to stuff they can't talk about.

Embargoes are for content, like the fact that Diddy Kong is a costume in the game, not for major features like that.

And final reviews are coming out, none of them mentioning the feature. And that's definitely something that could affect reviews.

NeonZ

Mario Maker is technically even missing themes from SMB1, like the 1-3 variation of the ground theme (no bushes or hills lower on the screen, but clouds can appear much lower - it's also used by all bridge levels), the 3-1/3-2 one (at night, with white plants, I guess it's meant to be night + snow?), the 3-3 one (at night version of 1-3's theme), the 5-1/5-2 one (white plants during day), the 6-1/6-2 one (at night with normal plants) and the 6-3 one (variation of 1-3, at night, with reddish clouds and everything is gray).

Mario Maker is technically even missing themes from SMB1, like the 1-3 variation of the ground theme (no bushes or hills lower on the screen, but clouds can appear much lower - it's also used by all bridge levels)

You can simulate this by setting your level up high and deleting all background elements that appear like bushes. :)

What's not include?

t8CPuQyh.jpg

And this still misses quite a lot.

-Night Theme
-Tank Theme
-Battleship theme
-"floating" Boo Buddys (where they are not scared of you, but also move randomly, seen in SMW ghost houses)
-red pirahna plants that ignore whether you are near a pipe (SMB2/LL)
-jumping pirahana plants (though I guess wings kind of emulate this)
-koopa kids
-poisoned mushroom
-p wing
-on/off switch
-Tweester
-water on land
-One way pipe
-Pipe that lets you out in the same area (as seen in the smb3 wraparound pipeworld level in this image)
-wings being usable on yoshi

probably more too

dlc pls

Top Bottom