• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Louie - Season 5 - The award-winning comedy returns for 8 episodes - Thursdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
8Dum5.gif

Information:Teasers:

gatisimo

Thanks for those teasers. You can see the production value has gone through the roof compared to early seasons. Big fan of the show; can't wait!

Holy shit, I had no idea it was comming so soon. (sort of)

Hyped, even though i can't watch those teasers in my country.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
That gif is awesome lol. I really loved last season, so looking forward to seeing what he does this year.

Sober

Oh man, this is weird. I didn't even remember there was gonna be a new season this year. I blame that weird 1-year long gap that happened.

Viewt

After the Late Night 3-parter, I thought he'd never be able to top himself on that show. Then we got that fantastic flashback arc last year. Here's hoping he can continue that streak.

Weird as it may be to say, I kind of hope he stops after Season 5 or 6. The quality's just been so consistent, I'd hate for it to falter from running too long.

I really have no idea what he has in mind after basically making a Woody Allen movie last season. lol

It makes sense, if you think about it. He hired Woody's old editing partner, Susan Morse, to join the show. Louie's a great editor in his own right, but Morse is a superstar.

After finishing season 4 yesterday, I don't think the show dipped in quality but the shift to a 20 minute drama is still really drastic. Also pumped for guest stars.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I think Louie really excels in the vignette format - his experiments with long form narratives have mostly fallen flat for me. Hopefully there will be more for the former than of the latter this year.

I wonder if he's still dating Pamela.

I get why some people hate this pairing as a couple but I loved the final few episodes of season 4. They're pretty hilarious together.

Into the woods was the best Louie's ever been too so I got a high opinion of the last season for sure. Though I wasn't a fan of the Hungarian woman tbh, I got the point of the elevator arc but the only thing I was really feeling out of it was their last dinner and the doctor of course

Air

Banned
If there's only 8 episodes, will they still be 30 minutes each?

Edit- nvm, saw the time slot.

Blader

Weird as it may be to say, I kind of hope he stops after Season 5 or 6. The quality's just been so consistent, I'd hate for it to falter from running too long.

I don't know if he'll necessarily stop soon -- he's said before that if it got past the first season he can see it running for 7 or 8 -- but this is probably why he's taken a break between seasons and why this year's is half as long. He seems pretty aware of the burn out factor of doing 13-episode seasons back to back for 8 years.

jesalr

Last season was so weird in spots. It got a bit uncomfortable to watch at points, and a lot of episodes just weren't particularly funny. They weren't actively bad, but not what I was expecting from the show.

- Poniewozik for Time: Review: Louie Gets Back to Basics
In season 5–or the four episodes I was sent, because who knows after that–Louie is experimenting with being a weekly half-hour TV show. There are still continuing elements
(Louie’s relationship with Pamela, for instance, carrying over from last season)
and some short vignettes, but the episodes tell single stories that end at the half-four’s end. They are, by and large, blisteringly funny, even when they’re also poignant. (Prove it? If I give you examples, I’ll ruin them for you; you’ll have to take my word.)

It’s tempting to say that Louis CK is responding to criticisms last season that his show had gotten too artsy and ponderous. But deep down I don’t really think he writes anything reactively that way. If he had a four-hour Louie movie in him, he’d probably make it, and FX would be glad to take it. (One of the comedian’s great insights was to realize that the key to creative freedom was to deliver a good show cheap.) What are you going to do to him, really?

EDIT:

Poster for this season, too:

8CKLAlQ.jpg

Bladenic

I loved the Pamela episodes because they made laugh a bit. The rest of the season felt significantly like a drama show, especially the flashback arc.

some episodes of this shows really awkward. i know its on purpose, but ive actually never seen a fictional show thats awkward enough to make it hard to watch.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
lol that whole episode still cracks me up every time I watch it. Ricky's laugh is just so infectious.

Fury451

Banned
Looking forward to it. One of the most creative, ponderous, reflective, humorous, and surreal shows ever, all at the same time.

And I get the criticism that 4 got, but I still enjoyed it immensely for being a different kind of experiment. And the Pam/Louie pairing always makes me laugh. They're good together as writers and actors, and it translates to a highly unique dynamic on the show.

Louis CK is never dull at least, always trying something different with this show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom