• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Louie - Season 5 - The award-winning comedy returns for 8 episodes - Thursdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

overcast

I loved season 4 of Louie. The 6 parter had ups and downs, but there were some magnificent scenes during it. I though "In The Woods" (2 parter) was up there with the best material he has made. Pamela (part 1,2,3) was essentially just a great romantic movie to me. Louie season 4 nailed the importance and impact of the relationships we have in life. Sometimes they are grand and sometimes really intimate.

I'm all for him making this season more comedy focused of course, because I think he's immensely talented.

Lazyslob

Banned
watched louis ck last stand up and.... it was okay. id rather have him focus on his stand up than this show honestly. i think this show is taking away from his stand up. all he does is hack "suburban white girl" imitations now and its bad.

Real Hero

watched louis ck last stand up and.... it was okay. id rather have him focus on his stand up than this show honestly. i think this show is taking away from his stand up. all he does is hack "suburban white girl" imitations now and its bad.
This show has always been better than his stand up.

Lazyslob

Banned
This show has always been better than his stand up.

nope. when he doing his stand up he is at his best. i like the show i do, but his stand up is where he shines. his stand up and when he is was on like opie and anthony just saying funny shit is when he was at his best. i just feel like this show is really weighing on him and how really funny he actually is.

Anyone going to make a Comedians OT? It looks like a bag of garbage but I'll check it out because Billy Crystal + it's Louie's lead-in. As far as this season of Louie is concerned, I know next-to-nothing about what's going to happen and I couldn't be more excited. Love how they've kept everything under wraps.

BigAT

Anyone going to make a Comedians OT? It looks like a bag of garbage but I'll check it out because Billy Crystal + it's Louie's lead-in. As far as this season of Louie is concerned, I know next-to-nothing about what's going to happen and I couldn't be more excited. Love how they've kept everything under wraps.

It looks awful. I haven't seen anyone claim an OT, so I'd just go for it and post in the Spring TV thread to make sure people know it's up.

Yeah, the commercials for that show are so bad it almost makes me uncomfortable.

graffix13

I just recently watched Louis stand up (I know, I know) and I loved it.

So is his show just as good? I just have reservations about stand up comedians doing scripted sitcoms. There are exceptions of course (Seinfeld for example).

Blader

So is his show just as good? I just have reservations about stand up comedians doing scripted sitcoms. There are exceptions of course (Seinfeld for example).

If you love his stand up, you'll almost definitely like the show.

Rembrandt

Banned

Better, imo. It's different from his standup, though. He touches on social commentary at times, but it's kind of like a surrealist, dark-comedy day in the life of louis ck type of thing. it's weird because there are a lot of things that don't make sense, there's no sense of continuity (until the 4th season, but that becomes a richard linklater/woody allen-esque movie) and it's just great. it's on netflix and they just put season 4 on there. you could probably just watch the season premiere tonight and be okay, but idk how they'll be handling the end of season 4.

Servbot24

Banned

The show is way different, and imo way better.

Why do they still call this a comedy?

At this point it's clearly a drama.

Pretty much. My favorite is still the first season, he developed a really solid "set" for that one with all the various standup scenes, devotion to the quality of the bits (and the frequency of them) really started to wane as the show went on. Plus I feel he had better chemistry and dialogue with supporting characters overall (though Parker Posey's episodes were brilliant). I still enjoy it, I just feel like his take on the insecure, neurotic New Yorker life isn't as well formed as it could be, it just feels off when he attempts to do drama. I will admit the episodes last season with the romance plot were probably the best he's done drama wise, I just don't think he's all that good at setup and pacing so it ends up feeling a bit flat and awkward. I think this is also due to editing, performance etc.

Whatever I still love him and will continue to watch, just wish there could be a bit more emphasis on comedy or a balance between it and the more dramatic elements.

graffix13

If you love his stand up, you'll almost definitely like the show.

Better, imo. It's different from his standup, though. He touches on social commentary at times, but it's kind of like a surrealist, dark-comedy day in the life of louis ck type of thing. it's weird because there are a lot of things that don't make sense, there's no sense of continuity (until the 4th season, but that becomes a richard linklater/woody allen-esque movie) and it's just great. it's on netflix and they just put season 4 on there. you could probably just watch the season premiere tonight and be okay, but idk how they'll be handling the end of season 4.

The show is way different, and imo way better.

Great, thanks. I'll give it a go then. I'll probably start with S1 on Netflix (even if there really isn't any continuity).

Yeah, the commercials for that show are so bad it almost makes me uncomfortable.

Sure the commercials are bad, but at least they don't air them a lot.

Even if it looked good I would want it to die after FX and Fox proper beating me over the head with it for months. So many ads.

Wow. No fucking sound on Rogers in Toronto. Looks like the previous show premiered without any as well. Good job Rogers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom