• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Louie - Season 5 - The award-winning comedy returns for 8 episodes - Thursdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Louie told an awesome story about why this season exists on Opie & Jim Norton's radio show on Wednesday.

Basically, he had planned to take another long amount of time off, like he did with last season. Then he got really high and wrote a whole bunch of material and called the head of FX at the last minute, literally right before he was going to announce that the new season of Louie was not going to be soon, so instead he announced that the new season was coming. However, since they already segmented money for other stuff because they thought the show was going to be delayed, he could only give Louie enough for 8 episodes.

The next day Louie realized everything he wrote was terrible because he was high and none of it was funny, so he had to start from scratch and write the 8 episode season he promised FX the night before.

Oh and he mentioned that another 8 episode season would be right around the corner, it'll be a very quick turn around for season 6

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing.

I really loved Louie the first few seasons, but I think I'm over him. I'm not sure why,… Are you still love a stick, but now it does nothing for me.

overcast

Loved both episodes. Louie having to take a shit at the start of episode 2 killed me. The scene with Pamela and Louie talking was effective. He is aware how ridiculous the concept of loving someone forever is, but he still falls victim to it.

I finally got around to watching the currently released episodes, and all I have to say is... Wow.

A HUGE step up from last season. The surrealism present this season elevates it so much.

Season 3 felt a bit too cheesy and sentimental for my taste, thing he usually makes fun of.
Season 4 was good tho.

I only just finished season 3 myself and found it to be the best the show has been do far. The inclusion and homage to David Lynch was amazing. Yeah, it was a bit more serious... But David. Fucking. Lynch.

Akahige

Loved the whole opening of him having to shit, it was hilarious. Pam agreeing to see the movie when he was about to tell a long flashback story was great, I was dreading a flashback scene as soon as he started out of tedium.

I do prefer when the whole episode is one self contained storyline unstead of this week's episode which had two small story's, a larger one and a punchline to one of the smaller one's.

TripOpt55

Good episode. The opening was great. I love scenes of Louie and his kids and this one was funny. The bits where Pamela cut off the flashback and where the lady was getting cheese grated on her cracked me up too.

I'm glad she's back and hope she's in more episodes, honestly she runs miles around Louis acting wise, she's needed to give the show a bit of life. I enjoy the show, but I don't feel like Louis does the uncomfortable, unsure of himself thing well at all. Has always seemed forced and awkward to me, like you can see him "acting". It's frustrating, cause I love his older standup, thought the first season was incredible, but this show has consistently been on the bummer train plot wise for awhile, and I feel like his lack of acting chops makes a lot of the dramatic situations seem amateur and stilted. I did buy into his performance for the early season episode "Bully". That scene at the table in the diner with the high schooler, holy shit. Definitely felt his fear and tension there. Will continue watching as I love Louis, but he could def use more veteran talent dropping in more frequently to help out.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
All you Pamela fans should be glad to hear that FX is giving her her own pilot (and possible show, should it get picked up), that's being described as the "female Louie".

So I'm watching season four on NetFlix.

Does season five follow the same longform serial arc style, or is it more seasons 1-3 episodic style?

Enjoyed the first two so far. I always like Louie, so any Louie is good Louie in my book. Seems like he is going for more the humor slant for this season, but I always liked his reflective episodes more.

Quick

Banned
Pamela and Louie as a couple is such a weird dynamic. But it brings out some really hilarious and awkward situations.

Boem

Great ep. There's something about this show that's always so relaxing, even if it can be tense as fuck sometimes, like in this episode. I actually prefer this show to his standup these days I think.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This reminded me a lot of the Doug Stanhope episode from a couple of seasons ago.

Seeing Rapaport was funny if only because it just reminded me of how much Sepinwall hates him because of Justified season 5. lol

Xrenity

Great episode once again.

Love how when Louie stands up for himself, Rapaport immediately counters and you actually feel for him as well.

And then suddenly the missing gun as a great way to move forward.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
This reminded me a lot of the Doug Stanhope episode from a couple of seasons ago.

Seeing Rapaport was funny if only because it just reminded me of how much Sepinwall hates him because of Justified season 5. lol

Yeah reminded me of that episode too. Didn't really do too much for me this time.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah reminded me of that episode too. Didn't really do too much for me this time.
Yeah, you go from someone saying they'll commit suicide and Louie calling him out on his bullshit to... well, a guy with a midlife crisis. A bit of a step down in terms of the stakes at least.

So far I'm not sure how I feel about this season... it feels like he's trying to go back to the familiar rather than try something different.

overcast

Really enjoyed the last episode. Loved the opening with the millennial store owner and thought it was interesting how this hyper masculine guy just irks Louie the whole episode. Always is one of Louie's main downfalls, he just can't handle people who are up front and personal until they become vulnerable.

FX Now has been my life saver this season. Couldn't keep up otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom