• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Louie - Season 5 - The award-winning comedy returns for 8 episodes - Thursdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangersFan

Great episode. Awkward situation Louie is the best Louie. Jizzy buns lol. I love when he does jokes straight from his standup. Also that was Yoko Ono music wasn't it in the end credits?

Jarrod38

Just watched Part 1 and it was really great. I sorta felt bad for the driver looked like he has no friends and this job maybe the only way to connect with people. Also the situation with the little girl was strange I thought the last half would have been with Louie and the girl finding her mother.

LOL at louie actually considering for moment having the syrup poured directly into his mouth.

This is kind of a weird penultimate episode. Not sure what story it's telling.

I actually didn't like the new episode that much. It felt like a collection of ideas patched up into an episode. That, or I just didn't 'get it.' I did like seeing the jizzy buns, we heard that joke many times by now. It would have worked better in earlier seasons, I think, as the show was getting weirder and weirder.

I did like the first part of the episode showing the pressure on comedians, or artists in general, to be social and get along with everyone. The part where he goes, 'in a way, I met you too,' was cool too.

Decent episode, just wish it had more going on in it.

big ander

I thought the driver stuff was almost too mean-spirited. spent so much time just making fun of Mike and not reflecting any criticism back at Louie himself.

Rest was pretty good, and this season's been pretty good as well. A La Carte and Sleepover both amazing. Wasn't blown away by some of the other big favorites like Untitled though.

- Sepinwall: How ‘Louie’ got a shorter season because Louis C.K. got high
The network TV season ended last week, which means we're diving deep into Emmy campaigning season. The official Emmy ballot gets sent to TV Academy members in early June, and in the meantime, networks and studios are doing their best to put on good faces for potential voters, sometimes with elaborate screener packages, sometimes with For Your Consideration panels featuring the creators and stars of their shows.

Last week, I moderated one of those for "Transparent," and last night, I got to do the same for "Louie," sitting down for a conversation with Louis C.K. and Pamela Adlon after the audience got to watch this season's "Bobby's House" and the nightmare-fueled "Untitled." While some of these panels are recorded and later made available to the public (I believe that's the plan with the "Transparent" one), FX didn't film this. But it was memorable enough — particularly since C.K. doesn't do a lot of interviews about the show — that I wanted to present a few highlights, as best I can remember them. (I would guess that even the few quotes I use aren't entirely exact.) We talked a lot about both episodes, about this season as a whole, and the larger process of making "Louie," so I thought I would bounce around a little, starting with the night's most candid anecdote.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
That's what you get for taking a double decker.

20 seconds into The Comedians and I had to change it, has anyone attempted to watch this?

dammit, I shouldn't have been playing Destiny when the show was airing. Otherwise, I would have known about the special airing after the season finale >.<

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I really don't know how I feel about this season as a whole. It was a lot more subdued and low key compared to some of the more memorable moments of the previous seasons. It also repeated a lot of ideas from the previous seasons as well.

The season finale was terrible. Not one single laugh. Just boring from beginning to end. It was a pretty weak season all in all. Disappointing.

I liked the first few episodes, but soured on the season as it continued.

I think Louis has said everything he has to say, so I wouldn't mind if the show ended at this point.

big ander

Welp, both parts of the season finale were lame. Thematic retreads, pathetically self-pitying, visually boring, packed with terrible jokes (the teen daughter stuff was awful). The only good part of The Road Pt 2 was the old-timey dance and photograph—I'm thinking now that's in some way the point, that the one time on the road that Louie says yes to an experience is invigorating and his openness there is what he most remembers upon returning. Doesn't excuse the remainder being braindead and unpleasant.

These last two episodes bring the average for the season down a good deal, there being so few episodes and all. It was already perhaps my least favorite season, now it's definitely bottom.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The last two episodes were mediocre for the most part, but I still a really enjoyed this season overall. Leagues better than last year for sure.

HoJu

Last year had some great episodes though. Back/Model especially.
And I liked the finale. Well part 2, not part 1. Thought he kind of subverted a couple of the show's tropes in an obvious but fun way. Sleepover was probably the best of the season.

Akahige

I didn't like the final two episodes much but the punchline of the guy dying was hilarious to me.
Really interesting.
Because C.K directs every episode, a season isn't filmed one episode at a time, but in the same manner a feature film is made: lots of scenes at the same location, then the next, everything when certain guest stars are available, etc. That also gives him freedom to play with the structure of stories, moving certain ideas around from one episode to another, or expanding how long it would take to tell a story. Last year's "Elevator," for instance, wasn't designed to fill six episodes, but he liked what he was filming and it eventually took up almost half the season. (When I noted that the six episodes combined, minus commercials, come out to the length of a feature film, C.K. joked that he wouldn't necessarily pay money to see that movie in a theater.)

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Louis C.K. Takes Another “Extended Hiatus” From ‘Louie’

As he he did in 2012, Louie creator/executive producer Louis C.K. will take an “extended hiatus” after Season 5. FX CEO John Landgraf made the announcement during the network’s executive session. “He is anxious to take a break and wants to focus on other things,” Landgraf said. C.K. is prepping a movie and his company has two upcoming series for FX, created/co-created by C.K., comedies Better Together starring Pamela Adlon and Baskets starring Zach Galifianakis.

Take your time Louie.

Blader

Really dug S5. Much as I liked 3 and 4, it was nice to get back into more weird comedy than the drama-leaning short films he had been doing the last two seasons.

Shame he's taking a year off, but I can't complain if he's filling the interim with a movie. Last time he took a break it was just to do a couple bit parts for Blue Jasmine and American Hustle.

BigAT

After most of the last two seasons I couldn't agree more.

pFXpdxk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom