• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Assassin’s Creed Rogue – best AC I’ve played by far

Played this last week and had similar thoughts myself. Wouldn't say it's my personal favourite of the series, but definitely top 3. Just felt like it took the best bits of 2, 3 and 4 and put them all into one game. Story was also interesting as well, something missing in Unity.

Just a question guys. I'm trying to figure out if I may have accidentally an after-credits scene. Is there a scene after all the credits? I saw the one where
Melanie, Violet, and Otso-Berg give you the choice of joining the Templars or dying,
but I'm wondering if there is another important scene like that after all the credits, or if that mid-credits scene is the only one.

Fractal

Banned
Just a question guys. I'm trying to figure out if I may have accidentally an after-credits scene. Is there a scene after all the credits? I saw the one where
Melanie, Violet, and Otso-Berg give you the choice of joining the Templars or dying,
but I'm wondering if there is another important scene like that after all the credits, or if that mid-credits scene is the only one.
Nah, as far as I remember, that one is all there is.

I wonder if the poor reception to Unity was the reason Rogue didn't get announced for PS4 this year? I recall Ubisoft being fairly coy about a PS4 release this time last year. Hopefully we still get one, or if not I would be happy with Rogue on PS Now.

daninthemix

It's going to take a lot to dethrone Black Flag as my favorite AC. It had almost everything I ever wanted from a pirate game.

From what you typed up though, it looks like it has a chance. I've been waiting for this to be 20 or less on PC before picking it up, I'll have to look around to see if I can find it for that.

One important question: Is the harpooning mini-game still in? I absolutely loved doing that. (I love whales and would never do it in real life, but it was just so damn fun)

Harpooning minigame is in and if you look on eBay you can find cheap Uplay codes for this (which is what I did - got the game for £15)

daninthemix

Finished the main quest and I absolutely love how
the last mission ties into Unity by having you kill Arno's father (first scene from Unity).

But then they dump me on a credits sequence that went on for 30 minutes - unskippable - before I decided to quit. When I reloaded, I was back on the last scene before the credits! You HAVE to watch the entire, bloated credits sequence! That should be fucking illegal. I'm docking the game 2 points just for that.

I did not play AC Rogue yet but I find its story a lot better than Black Flag and AC2 titles. My personal favorite (opposite to most people) is still AC3. While the game did have its flaws, I enjoyed playing as Connor and discovering his story.

Hopefully AC Rogue comes out free for PS Plus one of these days so that I can check it out.

Muffdraul

AC4 was my least favorite in the series, not a fan of trading in huge iconic cities for the sailin' the open seas aaaarrrrrr. I never paid that much attention to Rogue, but I definitely heard many folks basically confirm it wasn't far from being AC4-2. That said, if they ever port it to PS4, I'll grab it. What can I say, I'm still an AC fan. I thought Unity was a damn solid game and got way worse of a backlash than it deserved. The thing that disappointed me about it the most was that I barely got to see any bugs, even though I got it on day 1. Pretty sure most of the "omg Unity is BUGGY AS SHIT!" media campaign was sourced from pre-release/pre-patch versions. I noticed like four bugs during my entire play-through.

Pejo

Harpooning minigame is in and if you look on eBay you can find cheap Uplay codes for this (which is what I did - got the game for £15)

Well I kept thinking about this thread, and purchased it on Steam tonight. Downloading now. I really need another good pirate adventure. I hope you guys are right about it being a better slimmer Black Flag. I spent 49.99 on it, which is more than like my last 6 PC game purchases combined.

daninthemix

One of the best things about the game is that it perfectly showcases the difference between this gen and the last one.
Spoiler for those who haven't played.

Am I weird for preferring the graphics in Rogue? Mainly because I can't stand aliasing, and the more complicated geometry gets, the more aliasing we seem to get. Once I started to see Unity's army of crawling jaggies, I couldn't unsee them, whereas I could run Rogue in 4K which even made all the ship's ropes pretty much aliasing-free. That was a truly fantastic final mission though, and a real surprise.

MrBS

I just got 100% sync for this one. From beginning to end I enjoyed this more than Unity. I enjoyed the tie ins to other games and although the lore wasn't moved all that much from this title Rogue still managed to beat Unity in that regard too. I'm hoping Ubisoft have figured out what they want with the story when Syndicate rolls around.

Ninjaholic

Neo Member
Rogue was a pleasant surprise and great game after playing Unity, which was the first AC game I couldn't wait to get over with and have no desire to ever play again.
Rogue on the other hand remains installed on my PC and go back to play every now and again.

Pejo

So a few days and many hours later, I'm absolutely loving this game. It captured what I loved about Black Flag and got rid of those damn tailing missions. Also, for the first time I actually figured out how the Rope Darts work, and they have officially become my favorite tool in any of the AC games. I look for enemies to kill now that are under branches/2x4's just so I can use them, lol.

Shay is a great main character, probably second only to Ezio. The story is a little predictable but the voice acting and facial animations are on point. I also love all the Jack-o-lanterns in
Sleepy Hollow

The only thing I don't like as much as Black Flag is the setting. I miss the beautiful lush Caribbean waters.

Does anyone else think they really missed an opportunity to pull a Red Dead Redemption-esque Undead Nightmare type expansion with these games? Where you fight huge sea monsters and mythical creatures of these locations
Headless Horseman, Sasquatch, Jersey Devil, etc
Every time I'm sailing the seas in a big storm, I can't help but wish I'd see giant tentacles pop up and a battle to ensue where I blast Cthulu with cannon fire. Or you're out harpooning and a megaladon eats that humpback whale on your line. I know it's less historically accurate but damn if it wouldn't be pure fun.

Toa TAK

Banned
Does anyone else think they really missed an opportunity to pull a Red Dead Redemption-esque Undead Nightmare type expansion with these games? Where you fight huge sea monsters and mythical creatures of these locations
Every time I'm sailing the seas in a big storm, I can't help but wish I'd see giant tentacles pop up and a battle to ensue where I blast Cthulu with cannon fire. Or you're out harpooning and a megaladon eats that humpback whale on your line. I know it's less historically accurate but damn if it wouldn't be pure fun.

Yeah, I mean, especially after the Headless Horseman in Sleepy Hollow in this very game, it would've been cool for them to do it. Just say it's some Animus bullshittery and it would be an easy set-up to go crazy for.

They tried to do that with the Tyranny of Washington DLC for AC3. It added mystical powers to the gameplay and the story was pretty over the top. More of that would be nice.

Also AC Rogue was great. Should have been the main AC instead of Unity.

I was playing it a month ago. I think I got too caught up in doing a lot of the side stuff, finding treasure, looking for specific animals to craft different items. I think that I need to just focus on the main story then go back when I'm finished.

Fuz

Banned
I detest asscreed, but I'm a sucker for Pirates and thus I really enjoyed Black Flag.
I really need to try Rogue...

I just beat in on PC as well. Was a fun little game, didn't do anything new to black flag but the story was a nice change of pace. That scene you escape the city at the start was one of the best moments in AC.

Hope they port it digitally to PS4 and xboxone for cheap so others can play it...I mean come on they ported that vita game, should be easy to port this for 14 bucks.

Quick

Banned
I'm currently playing Rogue. It's been okay so far. I like the angle of being against the Assassins this time. Graphics don't look as clean, but gameplay looks about the same.

After I finish Rogue, I'll restart Unity and see if I can actually continue on with Unity.

I held off on buying Rogue for months because I figured it would come out on current-gen, but I finally bit the bullet a couple of weeks ago and bought it for PS3.

KevinCow

Banned
It has Black Flag’s crafting system for upgrading Shay (main character), and I love how you have the option of either hunting animals for skins, or just paying money and buying the skins instead. Good call, Ubi.

Wait, what? I played through the entire game without knowing you could just buy skins! I spent so much time looking for a damn arctic hare to get the second or third health upgrade.

Anyway, I agree with everything you said. It's like a Greatest Hits game - not exactly innovative, but all the best stuff from the series with very little of the crap. It's my favorite AC game, and it's a shame they never released it on PS4/Xbone so more people would get the chance to play it.

grimmiq

Bit of a bump, but I started this last week and not sharing OP's enthusiasm. I played and finished all AC's up til now, and I may have been spoiled coming straight from Phantom Pain..But it just feels bad. Traversal seems fine but still has the occasional "You hit the very corner of this tree's geometry, so let's run up it for no reason." bullshit.

I'm only 15% in, but both big action sequences so far have been me holding R1 and holding the left stick forward for 2-3mins, very similar to the set pieces in TR2013..Run forward while shit falls over around you.

Shay's voice acting is terrible, not Connor terrible, but still pretty bad.

Combat is typical AC brainless counter-kill-kill-kill.

I do like that they went back to more freedom from guards, always hated in 3 every time you stood on a roof there were 2-3 guards yelling at you to get down, even after you liberated an area, the friendly guards still got pissed at you being on the roof.

I haven't actually gotten to where he switches to the Templar..but it's not just because of Lisbon is it? Dude walks in and just grabs a relic he's told has untold power..then blames it all on the Assassin's, as if the Templar's wouldn't have done the exact same thing and triggered the same events? And that's enough for him to want to murder all his friends?

Just did the first "boss fight" Really? Counter near barrels to kill a boss, then stupidly swing the camera around so his you can't see his next attack.

Kazerei

Banned
I haven't actually gotten to where he switches to the Templar..but it's not just because of Lisbon is it? Dude walks in and just grabs a relic he's told has untold power..then blames it all on the Assassin's, as if the Templar's wouldn't have done the exact same thing and triggered the same events? And that's enough for him to want to murder all his friends?

There's a little more to it than that. A few years earlier, there was a massive earthquake in Haiti caused by the Assassins disturbing a Precursor artifact. They couldn't have known yet that the earthquake was linked to the artifact. But after the Lisbon earthquake, Shay puts 2 and 2 together and angrily tries to explain this to Achilles, but Achilles wouldn't listen and throws Shay out of the homestead. So the problem isn't just Lisbon, but moreso that the Assassins don't learn their lesson from Haiti and Lisbon, and continue to search for the other artifacts. The Templars, at least, listen to Shay and believe him.

Shay was also questioning some of what the Assassins do, like working with shady characters and assassinating Lawrence Washington when it was unnecessary.

I mean, the story isn't real strong here, but it's fairly reasonable I guess.

Susurrus

Just finishing it up, myself. Going for platinum. Got everything possible without starting chapter 6.

Do the Legendary ship battles without using cheats, good times.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Late bump here.

Just finished the game and obtained a platinum trophy.

My thoughts: Yes, its a good game, but my god could it have been so much more.

I felt that the story was one of the best and most interesting ones in quite a while. It was nice to see someone finally ask themselves the question: "what is the point of all this shit?", but I certainly felt they could have done more with Shay Cormac. The story is only 6 sequences long and really needed more room to breathe. I felt it could have used an additional sequence to give Shay more reasons to leave the assassins and one or two after the turn instead of rushing to kill so many in such a short order. They really had an opportunity to show another side of the Templars here and that opportunity was largely wasted.

Its no secret that this was a budget title that reused much of the Black Flag and AC3 assets. The map design was the low point as almost every location in the River Valley and North Atlantic felt like a copy and paste of another location. While some will argue that ACIV also suffered from this, I do feel that most locations had a distinct enough feel that it never felt copy and paste.

In short, most places sell this for under $20 and it is absolutely worth that. I finished the PS3 version and just purchased the PC version and the upgraded resolution helps a TON.

I still think this game deserves a port to PS4/X1, as I do feel that those who played and enjoyed Black Flag will find much to enjoy here.

Late bump here.

I felt that the story was one of the best and most interesting ones in quite a while. It was nice to see someone finally ask themselves the question: "what is the point of all this shit?", but I certainly felt they could have done more with Shay Cormac. The story is only 6 sequences long and really needed more room to breathe. I felt it could have used an additional sequence to give Shay more reasons to leave the assassins and one or two after the turn instead of rushing to kill so many in such a short order. They really had an opportunity to show another side of the Templars here and that opportunity was largely wasted.

Its no secret that this was a budget title that reused much of the Black Flag and AC3 assets. The map design was the low point as almost every location in the River Valley and North Atlantic felt like a copy and paste of another location. While some will argue that ACIV also suffered from this, I do feel that most locations had a distinct enough feel that it never felt copy and paste.

In short, most places sell this for under $20 and it is absolutely worth that. I finished the PS3 version and just purchased the PC version and the upgraded resolution helps a TON.

I still think this game deserves a port to PS4/X1, as I do feel that those who played and enjoyed Black Flag will find much to enjoy here.

Spot on. There's some good work here, but they should have done more with it.

ryseing

Late bump here.

I was fine with the condensed story because the gameplay was better for it. Rogue had almost no main mission bloat which was a welcome change. Still has loads of side missions but even those are reduced.

Story stands fine on its own. Shay earns his place as a top 3 series protagonist IMO. Also has a couple of the best moments in the series (Haytham/
Adewale
showdown in particular).

Arttemis

Black Flag's Caribbean is awful, IMO. First off, the ships move nothing like they should, without even an attempt at modeling accuracy within their beyond-arcadey design. They take off from port like an aquatic Camaro, tacking is of no use, and there's no sense that your crew are responsible or participating in raising and lowering the sails. The waters are insanely conjested with typical-Ubisoft open-world congestion, and the sense of scale is thrown way off when there's literally never a stretch of open water. There are always islands, always ships.

I get more enjoyment from Wind Waker, honestly. I do wish they'd take that engine, apply at least a thin layer of attempting to model reality, and make a go with it for a new game.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I was fine with the condensed story because the gameplay was better for it. Rogue had almost no main mission bloat which was a welcome change. Still has loads of side missions but even those are reduced.

Story stands fine on its own. Shay earns his place as a top 3 series protagonist IMO. Also has a couple of the best moments in the series (Haytham/
Adewale
showdown in particular).

A condensed story is fine, but this one was a little TOO condensed. In addition to expanding Shay's motivations I also feel that George Munro needed more room breath as he is easily my favorite Templar in the whole series and was actually upset when he died.

The story had so much potential as it showed how poor of a leader Achilles was and how his obsessions turned the Brotherhood a little crazy, but it was disappointing how quickly you went to killing them and how none of Shay's old friends made an attempt to reconsile or understand his view. Just "you're evil"

Adewale certainly deserved better. He seemed like the one Assassin who would have been a little sympathetic. Shay thankfully expressed regret over killing him.

Logash

Literally the only Assassins Creed I've never played. I moved on to the PS4 by the time it came our and I'm not really a PC gamer. I really thought they would release it on next gen to be honest but I guess I was wrong... Would still play if they rereleased for cheaper price

Catvoca

Banned
I wanted to like this but the awful, awful Irish accent was such a big distraction I couldn't enjoy any of the cutscenes

Branson

Weird how this popped up as soon as I finished this yesterday. I rather enjoyed the more focused take on the main missions. Not a lot of bloat and I beat it in like 13 hours which is almost perfect. Played on PC and it ran great too.

MrBS

I loved Rogue. I want a proper mainline Templair game again Ubi. This time go all in and let us be 'evil' too.

Green Yoshi

It's really a nice game. I'm glad that my Xbox 360 is still connected to my TV.

Since I'm a little hyped for Assassin's Creed Origins now is a good time to finish the game.

Muffdraul

I finally played Rogue about a year ago after getting over my sworn oath that I'd never play it until they did a proper remaster. I was surprised at how good it was, but I didn't think it was *that* good. AC4 is my least favorite AC, so my expectations were low. But yeah, it's a good 'un.

I played last year after finally admitting to myself a remaster wasn't coming to PS4, I played on PC - just prefer playing most story games on TV / couch.

I didn't really like Rogue much. I thought the story was pretty meh, and while I appreciate the idea of an Assassin converting to the Templars because the Assassins are a bit amoral, it never really came together in a cohesive story line. It just felt kinda jumbled and like 3 different people wrote the story and never agreed on anything. I also didn't really like the setting, it felt like the Canadian Ice Caribbean and french pirates were just no comparison at all to Caribbean pirates and shanties.

It was interesting to play and I'm glad I played as an Assassins Creed huge fan, but it would be pretty low on any rankings I put of the series. Felt very much like a fan made game.

Can't wait for Origins though, love that time period and mythology. I only recently (re)-played through the Ezio collection (still got revelations to finish up) and loved every second of playing as Ezio again, that was an absolutely fantastic trilogy.

mas8705

I remember hearing back when Unity came out that Rogue was the AC game that we deserved (or something along those lines from a few people that expressed their dislike for Unity).

I still need to go back and finish Unity since I had quit out of rage and annoyance, but I wouldn't mind trying out Rogue if it should be available on X1.

Venom.

I really enjoyed Black Flag and bought Rogue when it was discounted earlier this year. I put it on my definite backlog list.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Rogue was a decent game that very much had a B-team feel.

However, I felt it had the best characters of all of them and somewhat humanized the Templars.

EDIT: damn bump

Top Bottom