• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Chappie, aka Die Antwoord: The Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
You didn't think when he put a gun to slumdog millionaires head that was a sign he was unhinged?

As for the helmet yes I assume he was aware, slumdog millionaire told him it wouldn't work on him. I think it was just waived away as "life finds a way" ie chappie figured it out.
Yes, I think they should have prepared his character better for that moment.

As for the helmet, I really think Chappie should have figured out something else for himself. Or (ideally IMO) nothing. He'd use his knowledge to save Dean ad transport his consciousness into robot's body, but there would be no saving for Chappie. I think the first ever self-conscious robot's sacrifice and then a man living through a robot would send a stronger message than whatever they concocted for the end.

It's also weird but it seems the alternate ending was the one they planned all along, but then dropped at the last moment. Recruiting 150000 police as was stated in the original ending made zero sense to me, until I saw that in the alternate ending, they had thousands of Chappie copies being made, so that much police was recruited to stand by if those robots decide to go berserk on humans.

way more

It's also weird but it seems the alternate ending was the one they planned all along, but then dropped at the last moment. Recruiting 150000 police as was stated in the original ending made zero sense to me, until I saw that in the alternate ending, they had thousands of Chappie copies being made, so that much police was recruited to stand by if those robots decide to go berserk on humans.

It's one of those movies where on second reflection the evil corporate overlords actually had a good point. Chappie was a unregulated, urban military drone with the reasoning of a child and ability to infinitely copy his body and brain. Maybe it's for everyone's best interest if he was scrapped. Johnny-5 was the same. The company was right to want to kill it.

Vlad

You didn't think when he put a gun to slumdog millionaires head that was a sign he was unhinged?

Jackman's character was so poorly mishandled for the entire movie that it really ended up becoming one of the biggest flaws.
In his very first scene, all I could think about was what possible reason there could have been for this company to allow him to carry a pistol in the office. Additionally, there's no reason that the company wouldn't have canned him on the spot when he assaulted a fellow employee in the office and held a gun to their head. Not only that, but this employee is someone who would have been a huge asset to the company, seeing as he seemed to be solely responsible for their most sucessful product.

I mean, I'll give the movie huge points for not being as bland as Elysium, and I could have handled the Die Antwoord saturation if there weren't so many things that just didn't make sense. The more I think back on the movie, the more questions I have:

Why did Deon need one of the robots in the first place? Surely he could have tested out his AI program by just running it on a computer, correct? Sure, it was established that the program would need outside stimulus to develop itself, but he couldn't have just rigged up at least a webcam and microphone and shown it stuff and talked to it?

Even if he did need a robot body for it, why did Deon think that his only two choices were either get a robot body from the place he worked or completely give up on the project? I'm sure there would be countless other interested parties for such an idea.

Why did there happen to be a rubber chicken in the van that Deon took the night that he stole the damaged robot?

For that matter, if Deon's plan was to steal the damaged robot, take it home, and install the AI there, why did he bring a copy of the AI with him?

Why didn't Deon go directly to Sigourney Weaver's character as soon as he found out that the USB security key was not only used by Jackman's character to sabotage the scouts, but was still in his workstation? Instead he just threatens him with "everybody will know what you did" then proceeds to do nothing.

I'm sure there's more, but that's just what I can remember off the top of my head. Really good looking movie, and I really didn't mind the whole "shoving a really deep sci-fi concept in almost in the background" thing ("Her" does something similar), but I just can't abide sloppy characterization and plotting.

Ninjimbo

I saw Chappie last week and was surprised by how good it was. It doesn't deserve the RT score it has. I'm surprised it doesn't have more fans. There weren't a lot of glaring problems with the movie.

Amon37

I do know all I need is
like 12 ps4's to transfer my conciusness

It wasn't what I thought it was going to be but I liked it for what it was.

faridmon

The movie was ok but went on forever which felt like a drag. The last action sequence was dumb and the characters themselves were beyond that. But I liked The Robot himself and the visuals were damn good.

RiverBed

Banned
Just seen this. The CGI work for Chappie (and Moose) are ridiculously good. This is the best CGI/live blend I've ever seen. Remarkable work. Even with so much human/Chappie interactivity, everything looked real and worked perfectly. Heck, I was doubting when a live dummy and the CGI copy were switched since it looks perfect. Turns out, it's all CGI- even the bling necklaces around Chappie's neck.

Here is a very quick view about some of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plMm4b-HXEM

Fantastic work by the CGI/FX team: simply jaw-dropping.

P.S. I just learned that Die Antwoord (meaning The Answer in Afrikaans) that appeared in the movie is a band. They fit the setting perfectly. Here's their Wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Antwoord

Mossybrew

I've been at the Redbox many times and just couldn't pull the trigger on this one. Tonight might have been a mistake, I got Run All Night instead and got bored and turned it off.

DonMigs85

Yeah the cgi was really good especially considering the budget and how much there is, Jurassic World could learn a thing or two from Chappie.

I agree with some of the positive posts in here. I didn't go into this movie with very high expectations, but I did really enjoy it for what it was, it's not without issues, but its not terrible or even bad really. I will also agree that Hugh Jackman's character sucked, but I also enjoyed Die Antwoord in this movie and I think having them in added to my positive feelings about the movie because of how strange they are. I didn't have particularly fond feelings about them or their music either before watching this movie but since then I've found myself enjoying some of their songs.

I'd give it a solid 7/10.

I got no complaints. Fun , charming , well directed.

This

Was expecting it to be a mess after all the bad buzz but ended up digging the shit out of it. Never got tired of looking at it either as its a stunner visually...

D9>>>> Chappie>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Elysium

Donos

Yeah, better then expected. Sure it got it problems but it was still good entertainment. I like that, similar to the aliens in D9, the robots feels natural and not CGI . The moose not so much.
Antwoort is very special and i knew them before i watched this. Expected to be annoyed by them but they fitted well.

Circinus

It was decent imho.

Only gripes I had with it was the utterly nonsensical ending and Hugh Jackman's character being so silly.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I actually really liked it when I hated District 9 and gave this a wide burth (like Elyisum) because of the director. William Gibson RAVING about it is what got me to check it out.

Yeah, there's plotholes (and why the hell is Hugh Jackman able to wave a gun around in a workplace and then go "ONLY KIDDING! A-HAHA! US CRAZY AFRICANS AMIRITE!?" :|) but the idea behind Chappie and his learning/getting a "soul" was amazing. I loved the hell out of the robot and his learning processes (and the carjacking scene) for me to really gloss over it and enjoy it.

Kinyou

Just seen this. The CGI work for Chappie (and Moose) are ridiculously good. This is the best CGI/live blend I've ever seen. Remarkable work. Even with so much human/Chappie interactivity, everything looked real and worked perfectly. Heck, I was doubting when a live dummy and the CGI copy were switched since it looks perfect. Turns out, it's all CGI- even the bling necklaces around Chappie's neck.

Here is a very quick view about some of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plMm4b-HXEM

Fantastic work by the CGI/FX team: simply jaw-dropping.

P.S. I just learned that Die Antwoord (meaning The Answer in Afrikaans) that appeared in the movie is a band. They fit the setting perfectly. Here's their Wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Antwoord
While I didn't like the movie, the effects with Chappie were really pretty fantastic.

What kind of joke is that supposed to be? I'm having trouble seeing a punchline that isn't ignorant as fuck.

Why so quick to get angry, jeez.

All his movies are paper thin moral fables where poor people = good and rich people = bad, no matter if the poor people are killers, thives or what ever, they have "heart" and the rich don't.

Circinus

Why so quick to get angry, jeez.

All his movies are paper thin moral fables where poor people = good and rich people = bad, no matter if the poor people are killers, thives or what ever, they have "heart" and the rich don't.

I'd say that only goes for Elysium. And I agree, that film could definitely have used a bit more nuance and subtlety to say the least.

Chappie is not really that great a film but it is a charming mishmash of Die Antwoord and A.I. science fiction.

It really is a love letter to the Die Antwoord mythos.

GamerJM

Banned
I actually liked it, including the script, though it is pretty nutty. I have a soft spot for movies about robots with feelings though. Also the Sony product placement was absolutely ridic

One thing I never understood with Hugh Jackman pushing his version of the robot: how the fuck is it supposed to even fit through doors?

Would it detect criminals engaging in a hostage crisis and just destroy the whole building? It wasn't in the least bit feasible as a policing tool.

That and how casually the main character reacted to
turning into a robot
at the end was so perplexing.

That being said, I don't necessarily hate it. But I also don't necessarily get Blomkamp fans in general. I've met at least a few who loved District 9 (understandable), hated Elysium, but still kinda liked Chappie when both it and Elysium were fairly average in general.

"Nurture your creativity, Chappie!" is probably my favorite line from a movie this year.

I can't believe they're tasking Blomkamp with fixing the Alien series. Jesus Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom