• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Chappie, aka Die Antwoord: The Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, I hated that the ending
implied that since Yolandi was brought back that Ninja would also be brought back to life if he died.

way more

The ending is crazy. They just gloss over a progression of profound and disturbing alterations on the nature of life and existence. You could make a series of movies based on the final 20 minutes of that film.

Chappie to Dev Patel. "This could be disorientating." Ya Think! You just transferred the consciousness of a man into the chassis of a drone while his former bio body sits riddled with bullets 10 feet away. The man no longer has a penis! "Disorientating" to say the least.

And how is Yolanda going to react when she suddenly wakes up in a machine body, alone in a manufacturing plant with no understanding what has occurred. I think it will go a little something like this.

robocop-o.gif

I'll watch it again to see how it gets so crazy. The movie is willing to firmly step into the strangeness but the action scenes were a let down. I still watch Elysium on HBO because that had awesome fights.

NYR94

The ending was ridiculous, for reasons already mentioned above by other posters. Just a really weak script overall, but the movie looked like it had a lower budget than District 9 and Elysium so maybe that's why the studio let them make this film.

Hmm, I enjoyed it. Wouldn't watch it again, but it was a fun ride. Didn't like Ninja, though. I have no knowledge of the band outside of this movie, though.

phyrlord

starting a civil war for the sake of having an excuse to use his Metal Gear.
Don't even get me started on Chappie's creator...

I don't think you realize how passionate people can get when it comes to realizing their vision. Have you have worked for mangers who push a work force towards a goal with every thing they have, even though it's obvious a bad idea? Same thing here.

Yes the movie was exaggerated for the sake of a movie, but I didn't think the motivations were ridiculous.

I don't think you realize how passionate people can get when it comes to realizing their vision. Have you have worked for mangers who push a work force towards a goal with every thing they have, even though it's obvious a bad idea? Same thing here.

Yes the movie was exaggerated for the sake of a movie, but I didn't think the motivations were ridiculous.

latest

I don't even think the film is particularly subtle in what is trying to homage. It's bizarre how audience sensibilities todays are so stuck in realism. As you said , it might be exaggerated in the movie but it works in that story , just like Dick Jones works in Robocop.

The film is so outlandish in its actions and concepts and Jackman character is criticized as an...excess ?

daviyoung

Banned
It's a complete fucking mess compared to Elysium and District 9. I got no enjoyment from it at all.

The ending is crazy. They just gloss over a progression of profound and disturbing alterations on the nature of life and existence. You could make a series of movies based on the final 20 minutes of that film.

That's a good point. The ending should have been the movie.

Deadstar

One of the best movies of the year so far. I really enjoyed it. Anyone know what the alternate ending is on the bluray?

adelante

Chappie to Dev Patel. "This could be disorientating." Ya Think! You just transferred the consciousness of a man into the chassis of a drone while his former bio body sits riddled with bullets 10 feet away. The man no longer has a penis! "Disorientating" to say the least.

And how is Yolanda going to react when she suddenly wakes up in a machine body, alone in a manufacturing plant with no understanding what has occurred. I think it will go a little something like this.

robocop-o.gif

I'll watch it again to see how it gets so crazy. The movie is willing to firmly step into the strangeness but the action scenes were a let down. I still watch Elysium on HBO because that had awesome fights.

Yeah I had a similar issue with the movie too:

Saw this last night with my girl. It was decent....until it took a nosedive towards the end. Fuckin WOW. I probably have missed something but
Why didn't Chappie rush Deon to a hospital or something? Nevermind the whole bullshit about the extraction and transferring of human consciouness (and the fact that you could fit a human brain into a thumbdrive) but when Chappie kept on blabbering frantically about it AND Deon didn't seem to mind....i don't know. I felt that it would have been a much better ending had it been about an ethical dilemma...Deon protesting NOT to be transferred into a robot body and then struggling to grasp the reality once his conciousness has been transferred.

daviyoung

Banned
On the ending:

Pretty sure the point of the ending was to show Chappie had become the master and the new creator

Deon built him and gave him consciousness, Chappie took what Deon made and expanded it so that consciousness could be moved from organic to synthetic...it was all about the evolution of learning, with the Die Antwoord girl character at the end becoming a more humanised android

And so it would go on, until human and robot were interchangable. I saw it as allegory for knowledge transfer and learning amongst us humans, a really, really, hyperspeed quick look at human evolution from barbarism to dominance.

Hagi

I wish there was like a post credit scene where Chappie transferred Ninja's consciousness into one of those Japanese robot toilets. That would have made the film worth watching.

Nephtis

Just saw the movie.

it started out so, so, so well. The concept of it was so great, and I was really enjoying it. I even liked the fact that Chappie started out as a 'child', and had to learn. I even enjoyed the whole making him a gangsta with conflicting philosophies.

But the last quarter of the movie got so bad. It did a drop kick into the toilet, and somehow, flushed itself.

I tried so desperately to like this movie, but no. Who the hell thought it'd be a good idea to take that turn at the end?

Hugh Jackman was so much better in Real Steel. I think they tried to follow a similar concept with a robot's evolution, but it went so bad at the end. I admit though, I did like it when
Chappie was finished kicking Hugh's ass, and told him he forgave him at that point.

Also, wtf @ PS4s having so much computational power. I need to go buy me a stack of 'em.

Just saw the movie.

Who the hell thought it'd be a good idea to take that turn at the end?

It's a pretty basic progression
from man to machine. Machine to sentient. From sentience to network. It's a recurring concept since the dawn of time , the developments of our own creations and their role in humanity
.. Why would that not be a good idea ? You could say there's a lot more to develop when we get that stage , but the film is not really about those impacts in our nature. It's natural while still being such a curve ball in the narrative , which makes the end pretty fucking great. And fun.

Does anything sad happen? To Chappie I mean. Antwoord and Chappie probably getting hurt or something have kept me from watching the movie.

Yes , during the movie , but the ending isn't sad to his character

Chiggs

I loved the scene with Hugh Jackman spying on Chappie as he paints. Something about Jackman's hilarious expression as he interprets the moment and deems it an affront to his masculinity makes me laugh.

CloudWolf

I zoned out when the rubber chicken showed up. Also, it was really obvious who paid for the movie, dat power of the PS4.

20cent

Banned
Humm I don't know, NeoGAF usually loves this kind of shit movies, maybe not enough American flags in South Africa?

I found the movie fun and very well done visually in terms style and technically. The script wasn't good but not worst than Spiderman, Avengers or John Wick. The hero (chappie) was cute and made me laugh out loud few times.

I don't get the "how Hugh Jackman got into this mess?" question, he is a bad actor anyway, he should be thankful that someone gave him a chance to do something else.

Also I've never heard of this band. I thought they were some kind of joke characters ... but seems they are for real

CloudWolf

Does anything sad happen? To Chappie I mean. Antwoord and Chappie probably getting hurt or something have kept me from watching the movie.

Technically something 'sad' happens, but I cared so little about any of the characters that I didn't really perceive it as such.

cacildo

It was pretty bad....

...but it was great when chappie gets fed up and decides to use the machine gun.

Also the movie has 17 endings. Everything you think "roll credits!" there's something else

Also... at least it was better than elysium

Kickz

I was pretty disappointed in this since I had hoped that Elysium was a fluke, but yeah... Neill has skills but he desperately needs a better writer in his life.

Reminds me of the Air Gear and Bleach mangakas, good art no story whatsoever...

This movie is fucking nuts.

Every time Ninja comes on screen and the sinister music swells...I just can't.

I hope they do this on How Did This Get Made.

Sorry for repeatedly bumping this thread, but Jesus Christ, this movie is truly bonkers.

The thread title isn't kidding. This movie is so completely focused on Die Antwoord and it's just totally bizarre. Why on earth would you put them in this film? And not just point them in it, but make them such a huge focus of it?

Their presence is just totally at odds with almost everything else in the movie. And what sucks is that "everything else" sucks, too.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I have it sitting on my desk unopened. I was thinking of watching it tonight, but I changes my mind.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
I like this movie more than I thought I would based on the non hype machine. If you mentally take the movie as 20 minutes chunks, it's visually pretty good, and tells a condensed story that doesn't involve other parts of the plot. When watch the whole movie and put all the plot points together it seems like 1st day baby Chappie wrote the script.

Pseudo ED-209 was lame. That is all.

h#shdem0n

I liked this movie, but was disappointed because it wasn't as good as it could've been. I was hoping for a more thoughtful treatment of GAI and consciousness, and a greater sense of Chappie's alienation as the first and only robotic intelligence.

Honestly I didn't know Die Antwoord was in it before I watched it. I liked that angle, though. Yea it was kinda cheesy, but it gave the film a meta/post-modern vibe that kept me more engaged.

Salsa

I saw it recently

I thought it was fine

the same way Elysium was fine

people are really harsh with blomkamp, but I guess that's what you get when your first film is District 9

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I liked it much more than I expected. Actually cared about Chappie and some of the characters.

Parch

A fairly unique movie IMO. There came a point where I was shaking my head and thinking this is totally ridiculous, but that's sort of the point. It's not trying to be a comedy but there's definitely a lot of tongue in cheek. The guy voice acting Chappie is so over the top but does a really good job. I ended up enjoying the movie quite a bit.

You'll be disappointed if you're expecting a typical sci-fi movie, but as long as you're willing to accept the absurd, it's a crazy, cheesy fun trip. It's never going to be considered a great movie and I totally understand the people who hate it, but I found it refreshingly different. Definitely worth watching.

Brilliant film. Very few films keep me entertained from beggining to end but this certainly did. Enjoyed the characters and Chappie had great personality too. Had a Robocop mixed with Short Circuit about it.

hamchan

I actually somewhat enjoyed this movie. More than Elysium anyways. Those Die Antwoord characters were real pieces of shit.

Also was there a scene where the words "Die Antwoord" was displayed, taking up the whole screen, or was I too drunk and imaging that.

It really is a weird movie. They gave Hugh Jackman nothing to work with and he's just a cartoon villain in this.

Yet somehow I still ended up liking it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Finally watched it last night. Overall, I liked it quite a bit, but the movie is riddled with problems. I liked it because Chappie, Ninja and Yolandee had IMO perfect chemistry, and all the absurdist shit they did just worked beautifully for me. I knew very little about the Antword duo going into the movie except a few of their songs, but IMO their crazy personas worked amazingly well here, giving the movie a trully bizarre art+gangsta+comedic vibe which I enjoyed a lot. Because of this, movie has lots of heart (which was something Elysium missed), and it also just looks flat out amazing visually.

Sadly, the plot of the movie is so terrible that it's unbelievable, and the themes it tries to touch with some seriousness are left woefully unexplored, as if the writer couldn't really understand their implications. One thing that really ticked me off - Who the hell thought it was a good idea to use the neural impulse readout helmet on robot's head? Like, can Blomkamp really be that ignorant to the basic principles of how a device like that is supposed to work, and how physically impossible it would be for it to read the brain impulses from something that doesn't have an organic brain similar to ours?

Then hugh Jackman's character turned out to be what can only be described as pure evil... and why? Throughout the movie he seemed like a pretty normal dude. At least hint that he has some severe psychopatic tendencies if you're going to have him unleash the civil war onto a city just because he's jealous other guy's project got more funding and success than his.

Flo_Evans

Finally watched it last night. Overall, I liked it quite a bit, but the movie is riddled with problems. I liked it because Chappie, Ninja and Yolandee had IMO perfect chemistry, and all the absurdist shit they did just worked beautifully for me. I knew very little about the Antword duo going into the movie except a few of their songs, but IMO their crazy personas worked amazingly well here, giving the movie a trully bizarre art+gangsta+comedic vibe which I enjoyed a lot. Because of this, movie has lots of heart (which was something Elysium missed), and it also just looks flat out amazing visually.

Sadly, the plot of the movie is so terrible that it's unbelievable, and the themes it tries to touch with some seriousness are left woefully unexplored, as if the writer couldn't really understand their implications. One thing that really ticked me off - Who the hell thought it was a good idea to use the neural impulse readout helmet on robot's head? Like, can Blomkamp really be that ignorant to the basic principles of how a device like that is supposed to work, and how physically impossible it would be for it to read the brain impulses from something that doesn't have an organic brain similar to ours?

Then hugh Jackman's character turned out to be what can only be described as pure evil... and why? Throughout the movie he seemed like a pretty normal dude. At least hint that he has some severe psychopatic tendencies if you're going to have him unleash the civil war onto a city just because he's jealous other guy's project got more funding and success than his.

You didn't think when he put a gun to slumdog millionaires head that was a sign he was unhinged?

As for the helmet yes I assume he was aware, slumdog millionaire told him it wouldn't work on him. I think it was just waived away as "life finds a way" ie chappie figured it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom