• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP - Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD - I'm so glad this isn't MGS5(V)

insane boss speeches from metal gear game? Clearly you've never played Metal Gear Rising and witness the glorious speech of Senator Armstrong.

Haven't played Rising but I googled... that one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj4XenU6tyI
wow... lol
Lmbhspn.gif

Certainly not what I was expecting, maybe I should give Rising another try. I actually have it ready to go from PS+.

Also cool that there's now Busoshoku Haki in the MGS universe :p

Answered this a few days ago

That doesn't mean he's okay with it though, he still struggles with it day to day, and keeping the truth to himself doesn't exactly help.

Mh I guess that explains it. Though I had the impression he was not only struggling but actually wondering himself when asked by Strangelove etc.. and I thought I got the message (Miller?) that Eva's tapes were received after the credits.
Would be kinda weird of BB's character to not just keep quite but to fool others into thinking he's just as confused?
Still have to finish some of the tapes (would be so much easier to stomach if it was integrated into the game..), I hope it gives a good reason why The Boss wants the truth to remain hidden.
As I said though, framing it like some sort of mystery fell flat for me, as the player who knows MGS3

Unlocked Zadornov Search Mission 4
soon....
Oh and I need to find a four star cook for my next level rations :D

Disgraced

I love this game. I don't mind the "grind" to get the true ending, because I think the extra ops are fun, but I can understand the distaste if you don't like the reused areas and remixed bosses in the first place. Protip: if you want to get the true ending fast, just do Fulton Recovery 10 repeatedly, or any op you can do quickly. But doing that's what makes it a real grind. I think the extra ops in of themselves are varied enough and are plenty fun even more so if you have a friend.

Mh I guess that explains it. Though I had the impression he was not only struggling but actually wondering himself when asked by Strangelove etc.. and I thought I got the message (Miller?) that Eva's tapes were received after the credits.
Would be kinda weird of BB's character to not just keep quite but to fool others into thinking he's just as confused?
Still have to finish some of the tapes (would be so much easier to stomach if it was integrated into the game..), I hope it gives a good reason why The Boss wants the truth to remain hidden.
As I said though, framing it like some sort of mystery fell flat for me, as the player who knows MGS3

Totally agreed about wanting the tapes to be integrated into the game, that's one of the best parts about MGS5 already.

The reason the Boss wants the truth to remain hidden is all at the end of MGS3, she didn't really defect to russia, remember russia and the US was on the brink of nuclear war because of the nuke detonated at the start of the game, The Boss acted as a traitor in order to prove the US's innocence and prevent all out nuclear war. If the truth about her actions ever came out, it could reignite nuclear retaliation, which obviously is no good for anyone.

Reason why Big Boss is still confused himself is probably because it seemed out of character for her to "lay down her gun" like she did, as it went against everything she had taught him. He probably doesn't even fully believe the EVA tape either, The Boss herself never told Snake the truth, he was just taking EVA's word for it, and since she's a chinese spy after all...might not be the most reliable person.

He also clearly still blames himself for allowing it to happen, which is what the whole "Why did you do it!?" scene is all about when he's beating up Peace Walkers AI pod at the end of the game, he's haunted by his actions and he can't come to terms with the fact that The Boss who raised him and loved him would ever do that to him, he's basically begging her for another reason cause he can't accept the truth.

That said, it's not spelled out very clearly at all so I don't think there's anything wrong with being confused about it lol, Peace Walker is by far the worst of the canon MG games in terms of storytelling.

Definitely play Rising though, its polarizing as some people don't love that the game went 100% cheesy anime, but goddamn it if it's not the most delicious cheese out there!

Seligrafo

I always thought Peace Walker was a fun game, marred by terrible boss battles and mediocre level design at times. It fits better as an action game than a stealth game (the missions where you're just shootin doodz are the shining moments of that game). The weird Extra Op system to get the true ending is garbage, and for the most part the game could've been handled better if it were a console release first.

That being said, the cutscenes and story are really fun and interestingly executed. It's a shame that the most important thing about the game comes from something that I'd wager 80% of players missed.

Finally finished the true ending.... man that took longer than I expected.
I would also question if most people ever saw the ending w/o looking up the requirements and how to trigger certain missions.

It's pretty insane...
Makes me wonder if there will be something similar in TPP. Like, the "normal" conflict is solved and then you have to build up your motherbase until it basically reaches Outer Heaven dimensions for the MG1 canon. Then in this final chapter you could actually play as Solid Snake to defeat your own base or something :p

I hope playing this was worth it for some TPP references. I guess some characters like Huey will return though I wonder what happened to the other staff (Strangelove? who is maybe Hal's mother and love interest???).
and why does Paz remain as an asset on the Motherbase :p

I remain by the opinion that the most interesting part of PW are the audio tapes (The Boss entered this whole mess by helping out NASA, got her child take away from her by working with the Russian Philosophers during that time. How she killed The Sorrow. That Huey talked with Granin etc.).
I started also grinding Paz diaries but then I noticed that those are also included in Ground Zeroes :p (which I also replayed this week to collect all the POWs etc.).

One of the tapes also reveal the background between Miller and BB which was...underwhelming. BB was killing Miller's unit but left Miller alive after being impressed that Miller wanted to blow himself up. Just within 2 years they are best buddies, meh...
Oh and it makes NO sense that Miller didn't tell BB that Paz was up to something from the start, not to mention letting her get Zeke (though it seems her original plan was to sabotage Zeke?!). I hope TPP will explain how Miller ends up helping out SS (as the good guy basically) because the trailers make it seem as if he's more crazy/out for revenge than BB :D

The reason the Boss wants the truth to remain hidden is all at the end of MGS3, she didn't really defect to russia, remember russia and the US was on the brink of nuclear war because of the nuke detonated at the start of the game, The Boss acted as a traitor in order to prove the US's innocence and prevent all out nuclear war. If the truth about her actions ever came out, it could reignite nuclear retaliation, which obviously is no good for anyone.

Would it though? It seems like after all this time it would be unlikely that the Russians would care at all (that the person pretending to defect let an evil Russian guy shoot a nuke at some Russian research facility in the forest with an American nuke).
btw shouldn't Boss' superiors know the truth as well?

The Monster Hunter missions put a smile on my face. Hunting a Rathalos with an RPG lol. I can post some screenshots maybe later.
Though the game stutters immensely in that mission, why wasn't it optimized for the HD collection?!

http://youtu.be/p3aoc9n3F6g

In the JP version of Ground Zeroes there's these tapes called First encounter that goes Into further details on how BB and Kaz met. The PW tapes are half baked in regard to this encounter. These tapes remain exclusive to the JP version of GZ. It's super interesting and funny and shows the mgs3 side of big boss.

ScOULaris

Yeah. I'm a diehard MGS fan, but even I thought Peace Walker was far before the standards set by the other games in the series. The story was straight-up TERRIBLE, and the boss fights were incredibly tedious.

Top Bottom