• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP - Splinter Cell: Blacklist. Hint: It's much better than Conviction.

Sojgat

Grim's first mission, the Seafort one, is one of the best Splinter Cell levels I've played. For me, it ranks alongside CT's Bank for quality and available options. Really impressed.

Also, had a lot of fun on SvM Classic. Just as nail bitingly good as I remember it.

Currently trying to Ghost through the villa in South America. Any tips for crossing that first courtyard with the dog? I tag him to keep an eye on it so I can keep away, but Sam must be wearing Pepe Le Pew's aftershave or something because that little fucker sniffs me out from miles away.

If you want to leave them undisturbed you just have give them a wide berth, watch their patrol paterns, and move fast. Otherwise the Tri-rotor works really well.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
If you want to leave them undisturbed you just have give them a wide berth, watch their patrol paterns, and move fast. Otherwise the Tri-rotor works really well.

Yeah, I'm really trying to, but it catches wind of me (literally!) from across the courtyard, even if I stick to the furtherst wall. KO isn't an option because it'll alert the guards. I'll try giving it another shot tonight. Thanks!

Sojgat

Yeah, I'm really trying to, but it catches wind of me (literally!) from across the courtyard, even if I stick to the furtherst wall. KO isn't an option because it'll alert the guards. I'll try giving it another shot tonight. Thanks!

There's basically two ways:

1) follow the fence really fast around the perimeter using the cover if needed.

2) lure the dog and it's handler into the garage, jump up on horizontal pipe inside, lead the dog to one end, then quickly double back, jump down, then just run around the perimeter safely. You need to have shot the standing flood light out in the garage for this to work, but that's a good way of distracting the guy in the garage away from the laptop. The pipe is your friend when doing that as well.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

2) lure the dog and it's handler into the garage, jump up on horizontal pipe inside, lead the dog to one end, then quickly double back, jump down, then just run around the perimeter safely. You need to have shot the standing flood light out in the garage for this to work, but that's a good way of distracting the guy in the garage away from the laptop. The pipe is your friend when doing that as well.

The first one is what I've tried, but I'll give it another shot since I'm trying to get through areas as quicky as possible without distrubing the locals. That second one would be a little bit convoluted and take up too much time!

Thanks for the tips, chief.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah Grim's first mission is pretty fun, although I could never figure out how to deal with the damn dog. When I played it I basically killed everyone in the level and then did my thing. I kind of want to try ghosting her missions, but the lack of checkpoints is holding me back a little.

Screaming Meat what platform are you playing on?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah Grim's first mission is pretty fun, although I could never figure out how to deal with the damn dog. When I played it I basically killed everyone in the level and then did my thing. I kind of want to try ghosting her missions, but the lack of checkpoints is holding me back a little.

Screaming Meat what platform are you playing on?

Well, I had a similar problem on my first few runs until I realised you don't even need to go near the room with the dog! There's a route through the level that uses the outside ledges to get to C & B without bumping into many guards: the window near A leads up to objective C on the roof. From there you head to the helicopter where there's a rope that leads down to the room next to B. Did that even make sense?! XD

I think I got my time down on it down to 5 minutes last night (no kills/KOs, no detection).

I'm on 360. If you are, hit me up! GT: Scheming Meat.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I had a similar problem on my first few runs until I realised you don't even need to go near the room with the dog! There's a route through the level that uses the outside ledges to get to C & B without bumping into many guards: the window near A leads up to objective C on the roof. From there you head to the helicopter where there's a rope that leads down to the room next to B. I think I got my time down on it down to 5 minutes last night (no kills/KOs, no detection).

Oh yeah I actually used all the passages instead of the ledges. Didn't even realize the ledges existed until I watched a YouTube run of the level afterwards lol.

Sure I'll add you sometime over the weekend (I'm unfortunately pretty busy this weekend, but I hope to get some time in). GT: Dance Inferno.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yeah I actually used all the passages instead of the ledges. Didn't even realize the ledges existed until I watched a YouTube run of the level afterwards lol.

Sure I'll add you sometime over the weekend (I'm unfortunately pretty busy this weekend, but I hope to get some time in). GT: Dance Inferno.

Cool. No worroes, I've got a newborn in the house, so I may not always be able to use a mic.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

I managed to do it using the first method. I wasn't giving the dog a wide enough berth. XD

Playing through Grimm's third mission on normal (how I've played the game so far, just cause I'm trying to cruise through my pile of shame).

Awareness meter from some dude fills up about 10%... barely the width of the point in the middle... on every single other mission I've played, this doesn't lead to anything. On this mission instant fail.

So whereas in previous missions the meter could fill up, fill up and blink, fill up and turn red before anybody came after me, this dude notices a shuffle in a shadow somewhere and is like 'SOUND THE ALARMS! I BELIEVE I SAW SOMETHING RESEMBLING MOVEMENT IN THAT PITCH BLACK CORNER OVER THERE! EVERYBODY STOP WHAT YOU'RE DOING!'

Love it when games set up rule-sets and standards, and then just piss all over them at random for the sake of 'challenge'. I thought we evolved past this shit with Chaos Theory. I can't imagine why the stealth action genre has fallen on hard times *rolls eyes*

I don't use this mark-and-execute. It's a terrible gamey feature I wish they had not included. If I want to execute dudes I'll do it the old fashioned way. I wish it could be disabled but luckily so far I have just not used it and it's been fine.

Normally I would agree with you, but it's necessary in Splinter Cell simply because the aiming and shooting is just so god-awful. In no other game will you perfectly align your reticule over an enemy's head, have it turn read, only for the bullet to magically pass through and alert the enemy to your presence. The sloppiness of the shooting in this seriesis an honest-to-god 'fuck you' to anybody that has every played a tightly-honed videogame in their lives.

So Mark and Execute basically gets you around that and says 'you want a guaranteed kill? Ok, work for it with some silent hand-to-hand kills, and we'll give you a badass animation that will clear a room for you as a reward so you don't have to put up with our bullshit amateur-hour shooting mechanics.''

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Playing through Grimm's third mission on normal (how I've played the game so far, just cause I'm trying to cruise through my pile of shame).

Awareness meter from some dude fills up about 10%... barely the width of the point in the middle... on every single other mission I've played, this doesn't lead to anything. On this mission instant fail.

That's Hacker's Den, right? I absolutely ravaged it a few nights ago and didn't have that problem. It could be a glitch/bug. Is it a specific guard or area that it happens...? What route are you taking exactly?

I'm having an absolute blast with this game.... that'll teach me for being so snooty towards it initially. I genuinely think they've outdone themselves. It's a shame they didn't push it more.

Multiplayer is really excellent. Although I prefer Classic, SvsM Blacklist isn't as one sided as I imagined it would be. There's a real thrill when you and your team of Mercs burst into a room and start scanning for filthy spies. On the other hand, taking out half a team of Mercs with just your knife and disappearing into the shadows as a spy is equally intoxicating. Not sure how I feel about the optical camo, though. We really need to get a GAF game going.

In the campaign I'm currently on
Special Mission HQ
. Loved the
ambush. Felt particularly badass getting out of there without being detected, but found that unless I KO'd them all, I'd get Panther points instead of Ghost. It counts getting out of their as 'Evasion' rather than 'Undisturbed'.
Extracting the data from that
server room
is a real pain in the ass. I can get the data out of there alright, but there are usually 2-3 guards (including a fully armoured one) standing at the exit before the fast rope descent.

I'm a little stumped on how to Ghost it.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
That's Hacker's Den, right? I absolutely ravaged it a few nights ago and didn't have that problem. It could be a glitch/bug. Is it a specific guard or area that it happens...? What route are you taking exactly?

I'm having an absolute blast with this game.... that'll teach me for being so snooty towards it initially. I genuinely think they've outdone themselves. It's a shame they didn't push it more.

Multiplayer is really excellent. Although I prefer Classic, SvsM Blacklist isn't as one sided as I imagined it would be. There's a real thrill when you and your team of Mercs burst into a room and start scanning for filthy spies. On the other hand, taking out half a team of Mercs with just your knife and disappearing into the shadows as a spy is equally intoxicating. Not sure how I feel about the optical camo, though. We really need to get a GAF game going.

Special Mission HQ
. Loved the
ambush. Felt particularly badass getting out of there without being detected, but found that unless I KO'd them all, I'd get Panther points instead of Ghost. It counts getting out of their as 'Evasion' rather than 'Undisturbed'.
server room
is a real pain in the ass. I can get the data out of there alright, but there are usually 2-3 guards (including a fully armoured one) standing at the exit before the fast rope descent.

Yeah we should definitely get some GAF games going. I accepted your friend request over the weekend but I didn't have any time to actually game, so hopefully I'll see you online soon.

Regarding ghosting that mission: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7azMoCgMis

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah we should definitely get some GAF games going. I accepted your friend request over the weekend but I didn't have any time to actually game, so hopefully I'll see you online soon.

Yup, I saw you on my list. Should be a laff. Like I say, I might not be able to chat due to restless newborn, but I'm always up for SvsM or Co-Op (I haven't touched the latter), so hit me up whenever.

You see, that jammy little bugger had no one at the exit before the fast-rope. Last time I tried it, I had 1 armoured dude standing directly outside the door (he never moved) and 2-3 extra guards around the left hand corridor (as I'm facing it) with their guns trained on the exact spot I need to go to fast rope down, making it impossible to get through undetected and without disturbing people. I'll restart the mission and hopefully I'll have a firendly guard positioning XD

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Yup, I saw you on my list. Should be a laff. Like I say, I might not be able to chat due to restless newborn, but I'm always up for SvsM or Co-Op (I haven't touched the latter), so hit me up whenever.

Sounds like fun, I've done a few co-op missions but haven't touched SvM, so I'm up for both.

You see, that jammy little bugger had no one at the exit before the fast-rope. Last time I tried it, I had 1 armoured dude standing directly outside the door (he never moved) and 2-3 extra guards around the left hand corridor (as I'm facing it) with their guns trained on the exact spot I need to go to fast rope down, making it impossible to get through undetected and without disturbing people. I'll restart the mission and hopefully I'll have a firendly guard positioning XD

Hmm, when I did it the armored guard moved around a lot and would pace around the room more often, so there were openings for me to go to the fast rope. There is also a tunnel underneath the server room that leads you out to a door that is right near the exit. If you use that tunnel you may be able to sneak by the guard? There are sometimes guards patrolling in that tunnel though, so you have to be careful.

keakster

Grabbed this game at launch as during the Wii U summer drought, absolutely loved it. Went through it on easy run and gun and then back through it on harder difficulties as a Ghost, such a different experience. I just wish there was more to do, more upgrades to unlock or more missions.

And even though it was simple stuff - I liked the use of the gamepad in the game, much prefer using the touch screen for items instead of pulling up a selection wheel. Really a shame that it didn't sell more, pretty much guarantees there won't be any DLC.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like fun, I've done a few co-op missions but haven't touched SvM, so I'm up for both.

SvM is so good. I may be a little addicted.

Hmm, when I did it the armored guard moved around a lot and would pace around the room more often, so there were openings for me to go to the fast rope. There is also a tunnel underneath the server room that leads you out to a door that is right near the exit. If you use that tunnel you may be able to sneak by the guard? There are sometimes guards patrolling in that tunnel though, so you have to be careful.

Is this the tunnel that leads into the server room?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Is this the tunnel that leads into the server room?

When you exit the elevator and first enter the server room, there are two doors (one on your left, one on your right) that lead to underground hallways that go below the server room. From there you can jump in some vents and climb around and get right underneath the server room into a room that has laser tripwires. Once you collect the data, you can jump back down into the laser room and go back out the way you came in. That way you're just a short distance from the exit, and you can sneak through when the armored guy starts pacing the room.

Forgive me if I have the wrong idea but is this gif implying that Blacklist isn't stealth?

If so, you may want to notice that it says "detected" flashing in red in the upper portion of the screen. From there, I would assume running and busting down doors would make sense, even in the stealthiest of stealth games, but what do I know.

I'm currently three or four missions in and I like the game a lot so far. I had no problems with Conviction though.

You may want to notice that half the pre release footage they showed looked exactly like that.

I didnt buy Blacklist because I have already played COD and Im over it.

Nice to here that the OP enjoyed it and you guys seemed to believe it's a stealth game, I'll consider it for like $2 on a steam sale or something.

You may want to notice that half the pre release footage they showed looked exactly like that.

Nice to here that the OP enjoyed it and you guys seemed to believe it's a stealth game, I'll consider it for like $2 on a steam sale or something.
You may want to notice that the game is advertised as having three different play styles. The addition of one doesn't take away from the other, as agreed to by many people here. Still, it only makes sense that if you're detected, that you run and fight back and the game isn't as easy (from my experience anyway) to gun as Gears of War. It's still very much a stealth game first.

Kazerei

Banned

Oh man, the pre release footage was so awful. Thankfully the dev team actually listened to complaints and the final product is great. Trust us -- people who have actually played the game -- when we say it's a stealth game.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Nice to here that the OP enjoyed it and you guys seemed to believe it's a stealth game[/i], I'll consider it for like $2 on a steam sale or something.

Depends what you consider "stealth".

Prior to playing it I was of a similar mindset (minus the condescension, I hope). As an avowed fan of the genre and someone who feels pretty sad about the direction it has taken, I'm so far surprisingly happy with this game, especially because of Perfectionist mode. It doesn't feel tacked on like Absolution's highest difficulty and it deals with one of the current problems with the genre, namely that the player is too powerful. That isn't the case with Perfectionist, a mode I wouldn't be surprised was considered from the ground up.

The game rewards every action but none more so than passing through a level unseen and without touching the guards, whether non-lethal or not. The marketing for this game was horrendous in getting that across.

I've said it before but what they've done here is given everyone the Splinter Cell they want, be it the predatory play of Conviction or the careful tense progression of the original. It feels like a 'best of' for the series and contains some of its best levels (Seafort in particular ranks as a highlight of the series). Comparing it to CoD is pretty far off the mark. Even prior to playing it I wouldn't have been silly enough to say that XD

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Just played some SvM Blacklist and I actually really enjoyed it! It's pretty fun when teams are working together and the asymmetrical multiplayer can really start to shine. I wanna try SvM Classic at some point to see how it differs.

Special Mission HQ
. Loved the
server room

Yeah, it was the Hacker's den it was always the same guy - the person of interest that you can capture near hacking point A.

I eventually did it, but holy fuck it was infuriating being in complete darkness approaching from behind, only for that stupid meter to fill up barely a blip and have the mission end.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Just played some SvM Blacklist and I actually really enjoyed it! It's pretty fun when teams are working together and the asymmetrical multiplayer can really start to shine. I wanna try SvM Classic at some point to see how it differs.

Classic is more about light and dark as opposed to perks. I prefer it, even with the fewer number of players.

Yeah, it was the Hacker's den it was always the same guy - the person of interest that you can capture near hacking point A.

I eventually did it, but holy fuck it was infuriating being in complete darkness approaching from behind, only for that stupid meter to fill up barely a blip and have the mission end.

I didn't bother with him as I was trying to get a good completion time. Being in shadows doesn't make you completely invisible except at long range. Which way did you enter the room?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Classic is more about light and dark as opposed to perks. I prefer it, even with the fewer number of players.

Really? Hmm I didn't really use any of my perks or abilities when I was playing yesterday, mainly because I didn't know what they were and partly because it didn't feel very spy-like to be tossing grenades and using my SMG. Maybe I should give Classic a go.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Really? Hmm I didn't really use any of my perks or abilities when I was playing yesterday, mainly because I didn't know what they were and partly because it didn't feel very spy-like to be tossing grenades and using my SMG. Maybe I should give Classic a go.

The digital ghillie suit is ridiculous in SvM Blacklist! In my opinion, Classic seems to require the spies to be quite a bit less aggressive. I think you'll like it. What timezone are you in?

Rnr1224

Considering getting this on Wii u. How is it compared to the other consoles? And how populated is the online community?

IvorB

Well, I had a similar problem on my first few runs until I realised you don't even need to go near the room with the dog! There's a route through the level that uses the outside ledges to get to C & B without bumping into many guards: the window near A leads up to objective C on the roof. From there you head to the helicopter where there's a rope that leads down to the room next to B. Did that even make sense?! XD

I think I got my time down on it down to 5 minutes last night (no kills/KOs, no detection).

Yeah I found those outside ledges too. You can pretty much get all the way up to the top. best thing is you can ascend to the roof without going through the entrance that the sniper is monitoring. I love how every play of those missions reveals more about the level that you can use if you have to start again.

IvorB

So whereas in previous missions the meter could fill up, fill up and blink, fill up and turn red before anybody came after me, this dude notices a shuffle in a shadow somewhere and is like 'SOUND THE ALARMS! I BELIEVE I SAW SOMETHING RESEMBLING MOVEMENT IN THAT PITCH BLACK CORNER OVER THERE! EVERYBODY STOP WHAT YOU'RE DOING!'

Love it when games set up rule-sets and standards, and then just piss all over them at random for the sake of 'challenge'. I thought we evolved past this shit with Chaos Theory. I can't imagine why the stealth action genre has fallen on hard times *rolls eyes*

Normally I would agree with you, but it's necessary in Splinter Cell simply because the aiming and shooting is just so god-awful. In no other game will you perfectly align your reticule over an enemy's head, have it turn read, only for the bullet to magically pass through and alert the enemy to your presence. The sloppiness of the shooting in this seriesis an honest-to-god 'fuck you' to anybody that has every played a tightly-honed videogame in their lives.

So Mark and Execute basically gets you around that and says 'you want a guaranteed kill? Ok, work for it with some silent hand-to-hand kills, and we'll give you a badass animation that will clear a room for you as a reward so you don't have to put up with our bullshit amateur-hour shooting mechanics.''

Really? I haven't had that problem. As I said: I simply don't use it and it's fine. No problem with the shooting/aiming.

Have they fixed the god awful connection issues for SvM?

That alone is the reason I took it out of my PS3 and haven't put it back. Great game otherwise.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

That alone is the reason I took it out of my PS3 and haven't put it back. Great game otherwise.

Can only speak for 360, but I've had no noticeable issues.

Yeah I found those outside ledges too. You can pretty much get all the way up to the top. best thing is you can ascend to the roof without going through the entrance that the sniper is monitoring. I love how every play of those missions reveals more about the level that you can use if you have to start again.

Man, Grim's missions are brilliant. I love working out the optimum routes through them. I've managed to get some pretty nifty completion times on them, too :)

I'm EST. If I get online on weekdays I'm usually on after 9pm.

Shiiit. That's 2am here! No wonder it never see you on! Also? Thanks for the tunnel advice, managed to get to the fast rope but got seen at the last second... I'm gonna retry that level tonight.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Considering getting this on Wii u. How is it compared to the other consoles? And how populated is the online community?

I think the WiiU version has issues connecting online, but I'm not sure. I think if you exclude the online aspects the WiiU version is the best version from a graphics/performance perspective.

I don't know about PS3 but on 360 the multiplayer plays pretty smoothly.

I didn't bother with him as I was trying to get a good completion time. Being in shadows doesn't make you completely invisible except at long range. Which way did you enter the room?

Oh I know. My issue wasn't really being seen in shadows, it was the fact that a minimal amount of awareness (as displayed by the meter) which had NEVER, in all of the other missions I had played, caused any form of alert.

I entered through the window on the far right side of the map (based on where you're looking at the beginning on spawn, with the sniper tower dead ahead), took out some lasers in a tunnel, then around a back alley, which lead right to the A hacking point, Dude was in the next room.

Before finally succeeding, I had been going up the pipes in the tower, more round-about route. I didn't like how open the well-lit the direct entrance right between the sniper tower was, so I never went there.

admartian

I thought the AI was excellent too. Retries meant that while you could re-do certain things, it meant that you still had to be on your toes as they would be acting relatively differently.

My only grip was (the sporadic) checkpoints during the side-missions.

In any case, hopefully this is a PS+ title in the future. :)

Rnr1224

I think the WiiU version has issues connecting online, but I'm not sure. I think if you exclude the online aspects the WiiU version is the best version from a graphics/performance perspective.

may have to pick it up then. kinda bummed the online isn't working correctly as i loved Spies vs Mercs in Double Agent. Oh well, ill wait till i can find a good price for it then.

I wish this was next gen instead of AC4 at launch. I am thinking about picking up AC4 on PS4 but I am not feeling the pirate thing at all. And AC3 killed my excitement for a AssCred.

I wish this was next gen instead of AC4 at launch. I am thinking about picking up AC4 on PS4 but I am not feeling the pirate thing at all. And AC3 killed my excitement for a AssCred.
I kinda wish they'd give the game a second shot on next-gen, and market it as an actual stealth game this time around.

I'd double-dip for next gen if I thought DLC would come.

CHC

Totally man, game looked incredible in my opinion but with some next gen glitz on top it really would have been amazing. As for Assassins Creed I have said before and will say again that I'd be 10x more excited for that game if it was simply a pirate game called Black Flag and had nothing to do with that tired ass series of games.

No Love

Banned
Ok now I have to buy this. If people are comparing it to Chaos Theory then it's a must-play. Will pick it up tomorrow on PC.

-Stranger-

I've been enjoying it, i find Splinter Cell games very forgettable though.
I enjoyed Conviction and i finished it but i can barely remember what happened in it.

I'm up to the last mission in Blacklist now, there is a part i've been stuck on with two or three of those heavily armored guys and around six normal dudes.

Very frustrating and has produced many controller throwing moments.

Krakn3Dfx

Picked up an Nvidia coupon for this and AC4 together on EBay for $30 a few nights ago, looking forward to spending time on both of them. Liked Conviction personally, glad to hear this is better.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I've been singing this game's praises but seriously, the end of Special Missions HQ can simply go fuck itself. Gave me goddmaned Panther points even though I managed to ghost my way out.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I've been singing this game's praises but seriously, the end of Special Missions HQ can simply go fuck itself. Gave me goddmaned Panther points even though I managed to ghost my way out.

Haha. That was one of the missions I was bitching about in the OP. :p That level makes me rage.

I've been enjoying it, i find Splinter Cell games very forgettable though.
I enjoyed Conviction and i finished it but i can barely remember what happened in it.

I'm up to the last mission in Blacklist now, there is a part i've been stuck on with two or three of those heavily armored guys and around six normal dudes.

Very frustrating and has produced many controller throwing moments.

Which part?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Haha. That was one of the missions I was bitching about in the OP. :p That level makes me rage.

Ubi were doing so well up until that point. :)

There seems to be a few bugs with the evaded/undisturbed thing on that level. There are certain parts, where the AI are searching for you, that the player can simply ghost and get the 'Undisturbed' bonus, yet there are other parts that end up giving you the 'evaded' bonus instead, even though they are following the same 'search & destroy' routine as before.

Dagblammit... I'm going to have to play that level again, aren't I...?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Ubi were doing so well up until that point. :)

There seems to be a few bugs with the evaded/undisturbed thing on that level. There are certain parts, where the AI are searching for you, that the player can simply ghost and get the 'Undisturbed' bonus, yet there are other parts that end up giving you the 'evaded' bonus instead, even though they are following the same 'search & destroy' routine as before.

Dagblammit... I'm going to have to play that level again, aren't I...?

I haven't tried to ghost that level yet, because the last time I played it I got so mad at the ambush section that I murdered everyone in the level that I came across. I can see how that would be frustrating though... You could always finish the game and come back to it later.

Top Bottom