• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Last of Us remastered

Javin98

Banned
Yeah exactly - Survivor is tense and dramatic but not stupidly tight-rope difficulty like Grounded. You can still make stupid mistakes in Survivor and with some real sound tactics and level knowledge stay alive - but in Grounded, most cases where you mis-step you're dead quick.

Seriously OP, Grounded will ruin your immersion in the game. It's the only difficulty mode which constantly reminds you that you're playing a videogame. Which is fine once you've got 1 or 2 completions under your belt and need a challenge, but don't do this first time, you may be ruining it for yourself. If it's not and I'm wrong - then great! But I wouldn't take the risk. Bump it to Survivor at least, Hard preferably.
Removing the UI, getting killed in a few shots and being instantly killed by the Infected sound more annoying than challenging tbh.

Good news!

The characters are great. Or at least exponentially better than TWD characters. (Also, you should play the first season of the Telltale game. Again, much better characters than the show.)

Also the game has zombies, but the human vs human combat is where things really get intense.
First season was amazing. Second was average.

SomTervo

Removing the UI, getting killed in a few shots and being instantly killed by the Infected sound more annoying than challenging tbh.

It's really good if you've played the game to death on other difficulties and need a new challenge.

Sometimes the only game you want to play is TLoU...

I feel like an alien when I think the gameplay is highly mediocre and far behind the times of third person shooters/stealth games. Also, possibly the worst AI I have seen in a LONG time, they didn't give it a brush-up for the Remastered either. Really disappointing.

I'm just glad it had a gripping, albeit pretty conventional. story.

It's a really weird game in terms of gameplay. It seems to work for most people but not work for some. Whether it works or not is whether you get stuck-in in terms of improvisation and fast-and-loose gameplay.

If the improvisational survival and challenge of encounters grips you, then you'll love it. If not, then yes, it comes across as truly mediocre. The gameplay doesn't come into it's own until Survivor difficulty though. In a lot of ways Easy-Hard difficulties aren't really TLoU. What did you play it on, MadJack?

I'll never understand the complaints about AI though.

Yes, they have very poor vision. If they didn't the game wouldn't be balanced at all and it wouldn't be fun. Yes, they can't see your friendly teammates. If they could the game wouldn't be balanced at all and wouldn't be fun (although I would have liked an option to turn this on). Yes, they don't chase you far enough/fast enough. I think this would be good, it's a bit too easy to lose them.

But aside from that... Their movement patterns are phenomenal and realistically erratic. The way they communicate is amazing. TLoU is the only game aside from Alien: Isolation where I've been ambushed by an enemy systemically. Like they have managed to sneak up on me. They are good at pressing the player. The types are good - close combat guy, molotov guy, shotgun guy, sniper, regular guy. Subtle but with enough variation.

I just don't get it. I mean, not best AI ever, it doesn't have Alien: Isolation's alien-level shit, but the AI absolutely fits the game world. This is why it's hailed as a masterpiece - sure, everything isn't the best ever, but everything in it fits the overall vision. It's just so, so cohesive. Often why MGS3 or Silent Hill 2 are seen as the best of those series - they may not have the best gameplay, but everything in them fits the narrative which unfurls before the player.

Mr Moose

Shame, the MP is fucking fantastic. It's very different from all the BANG-BANG EXPLOSIONS FPS MP out there.

I'm strange, I didn't enjoy Uncharted 2/3 MP either (I guess I don't like 3rd person MP).

Whatever, dude. Most of humanity was affected by a virus which turns them into brain dead, violent morons. The same bullshit argument was used to "prove" that the ganados from resi 4 weren't zombies, but they are.

Zombies are undead, these are not. Zombie-like is the correct word :p (It's also not a virus, they are mushroom people).

I think you are in for a treat OP.

The characters are what push the game into GOAT territory.

Keep us posted on your progress. Bad or good, I enjoy reading about the game.

You've probably noticed the game progresses by seasons; I know it will take a large chunk of the game, but do yourself a favour and play at least until winter. Or at least until you meet a black man (don't want to spoil anything so im being vague haha)
If you liked the character development part of TWD, then hopefully you'll like the character development here.

SomTervo

I'm strange, I didn't enjoy Uncharted 2/3 MP either (I guess I don't like 3rd person MP).

Zombies are undead, these are not. Zombie-like is the correct word :p (It's also not a virus, they are mushroom people).

The multiplayer is nothing like UC2 or 3. It's closer to SOCOM or a strategic TPS. Very slow and tense.

Also zombie literally just means mindless - but i dont disagree with you in general

nel e nel

Great game, so glad I switched to Playstation for upgrading to current gen and got to experience this game.

I do sympathize a bit with folks that felt the gameplay was repetitive. I found myself at more than one time taking a big sigh and thinking "damn, this game keeps going, and I am just getting tired". Which, in retrospect, is actually kind of awesome because I imagine that is exactly how Joel and Ellie were feeling towards the end themselves. It's not often that a game can really evoke in the player the feelings that the characters are going through.

And yeah, I love the multiplayer too

Well, you're playing on grounded. If you don't want stealth, that's probably the wrong choice. Normal and Hard allow for a bit more mixing it up in strategy.

Stealth vs. zombies is OK, but once you get their systems it's not really all that bad. Stealth vs. humans is a game of constant unknowns and surprises.
If stealth is the only way to play one of the harder modes of this game, then I just have to deal with it whether or not I like it. I haven't run into any clickers yet, but I'm starting the like sneaking up on people, triangle + square/headlocking them into unconsciousness.

I thought it was an absolute masterpiece. A great breakthrough for action games in my opinion in terms of overall impact and aesthetic.

Just play it on the absolute easiest difficulty OP, the game will dump ammo and supplies on you. The Journey isn't one worth missing in my opinion, ND crafted an amazing world that'll take you through a gamut of emotional ranges. At the very least it'll get you appreciate the craftsmanship behind the visuals.
It is definitely a masterpiece, I was never disputing that, but I don't wanna take the easy way out, man. The game was meant to be played with a sense of scarcity and desperation. And you don't have to play it on easiest to appreciate the graphics ;)

It's your first playthrough and you're playing it on Grounded?

zWVbK.gif
I usually start up a game on one of the harder difficulties.

If stealth is the only way to play one of the harder modes of this game, then I just have to deal with it whether or not I like it. I haven't run into any clickers yet, but I'm starting the like sneaking up on people, triangle + square/headlocking them into unconsciousness.

It is definitely a masterpiece, I was never disputing that, but I don't wanna take the easy way out, man. The game was meant to be played with a sense of scarcity and desperation. And you don't have to play it on easiest to appreciate the graphics ;)

If you don't want to play through it with less stealth, you can't be playing on Grounded. Especially on your first playthrough. Survivor would have been a better choice. I would recommend Hard + listen mode off. Most enjoyable first run experience.

SomTervo

If you don't want to play through it with less stealth, you can't be playing on Grounded. Especially on your first playthrough. Survivor would have been a better choice. I would recommend Hard + listen mode off. Most enjoyable first run experience.

Yes this.

You don't need to prove anything OP. There is no 'easy way out' and even if there was, it's not pejorative.

The first proper clicker encounter is notoriously poorly balanced - it's regarded as the most difficult part of the game by many. Seriously just pop in the menu and put it on Hard or Survivor. It'll take two seconds, then you'll have Survivor and Grounded to master later. This is the way to do it.

Jachaos

Then Survivor should be better for a first playthrough as there definitely still is scarcity and desperation but it's not insanely harsh.

And yeah I meant finding the best path etc. when I was talking about treating it like a puzzle game.

On Easy there is no scarcity and it's an action game basically.

Yeah that's the only issue you might run into with the difficulty, is that because of the scarcity of resources (not too much of an issue on hard btw), it sort of forces you into stealth situations, because you will straight up die otherwise lol. So it's the balancing act requiring stealth parallel to the difficulty.

I suggest Hard mode with listening disabled. Ammo is scarce, but craftable resources seem relatively available.

quickwhips

I didn't care for single player but I beat it all. I don't like most stuff that is loved on GAF. I do love the multiplayer.

Neff

I feel like an alien when I think the gameplay is highly mediocre and far behind the times of third person shooters/stealth games. Also, possibly the worst AI I have seen in a LONG time, they didn't give it a brush-up for the Remastered either. Really disappointing.

It's nothing special in terms of design, merely competent. And yeah, it has more than its share of logic oversights. But the 60fps and 1080p of the remaster made the world of difference for me. It was prettier, more immersive, and the shooting was infinitely more pleasurable. And the DLC is awesome. It did nothing for me on PS3 at all, but I was surprised to find the PS4 version very enjoyable.

Dunkley

I don't think it's better than The Walking Dead (at least not as good as the show in later seasons, but I'd say it's on par with the first season of the Telltale games), but for what storytelling devices TLOU has at its' disposal, it's putting them to excellent use and they deserve every piece of credit for that.

Regarding the zombie thing, personally though this game seemed too focused on the human-vs-human combat. While the clickers were cool, most segments with infected felt like a gimmick at best which was a major letdown to me since I really didn't expect or want this game to be all about shooting other humans as much as it was.

I thought the A.I. was pretty great actually. I absolutely loved their search routines, very organic in feel.

djjinx2

I am playing for the first time ever atm, normal difficulty and I have not used stealth at all so far
I am just past the part where Joel falls down the lift shaft

Amazing story telling so far, <3 ellie

Jachaos

If I remember correctly Grounded was essentially NG+ in the original game.
You are starting off in the mode meant for people who've beaten the game before

Grounded was actually patched in almost a year later actually, it wasn't in the original game. Survivor was the toughest mode. NG+ meant you carried over the improvements and weapon upgrades you made, so NG+ is essentially easier than a first-run of whatever mode you're playing.

breakfuss

It's a good game, although I found it exhausting to play. And was particularly annoyed with the ending.

I liked Bioshock Infinite more that year.

RiverKwai

Grounded was actually patched in almost a year later actually, it wasn't in the original game. Survivor was the toughest mode. NG+ meant you carried over the improvements and weapon upgrades you made, so NG+ is essentially easier than a first-run of whatever mode you're playing.

Ah, ok. Sorry for the mis-info.
I got the game late. :)

Yeah and if irrc, Survivor wasn't unlockable until you beat it on Hard or Normal

Maybe that's what I'm thinking of.

Yeah I agree.

Grounded is not the way to go for a first playthrough. Not knowing the quirks of the enemy AI will bite you in the ass down the line. Even as a seasoned stealth game fan, I think its a bit much. If you keep dying its going to ruin the momentum of the story.

Also, grounded and survivor for the most part forces you into a no-alert style of play. This pulls away from my favorite part of the gameplay, which is the dynamic transitioning between action and stealth.

Yeah and if irrc, Survivor wasn't unlockable until you beat it on Hard or Normal

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
You're doing yourself a MAJOR disservice by playing on Grounded for your first time through. It will continue to limit your gameplay options, which was one of your initial complaints. There's going to be a lot of strategic variety that you'll be missing out on once the game opens up a bit more.

I strongly recommend immediately going to options and change the difficulty to Hard mode at the lowest. And if you feel like you're not being challenged enough, bump it to Survivor at most. Save Grounded for another time, man. Trust us on this one.

before I respond to any of you guys I should say that I misspoke - I'm playing on survivor, not grounded. Grounded is the hardest mode, and there's no fucking way I'd be able to play the game like that lol. I did want something harder to begin with so I went with survivor.
Yeah man I'm on survivor, my bad. You can play the game with a listen mode off?

I didn't know you could do that, but why would you want to? What would you gain from not having it?

Yes this.

You don't need to prove anything OP. There is no 'easy way out' and even if there was, it's not pejorative.

The first proper clicker encounter is notoriously poorly balanced - it's regarded as the most difficult part of the game by many. Seriously just pop in the menu and put it on Hard or Survivor. It'll take two seconds, then you'll have Survivor and Grounded to master later. This is the way to do it.
It's not really about proving anything, as it's that I want those extra trophies when I beat it in a harder mode :D

I've heard different things about the clickers in this game. One guy told me that as long as your crouching, you can get by the clickers no problem. When does the clicker show up and what should I be worried about?

Then Survivor should be better for a first playthrough as there definitely still is scarcity and desperation but it's not insanely harsh.

And yeah I meant finding the best path etc. when I was talking about treating it like a puzzle game.

On Easy there is no scarcity and it's an action game basically.
yeah, I am on survivor man, I misspoke. So with that in mind how much more stealth aspects should I be expecting as opposed to how the game is normally supposed to be played?
Yeah that's the only issue you might run into with the difficulty, is that because of the scarcity of resources (not too much of an issue on hard btw), it sort of forces you into stealth situations, because you will straight up die otherwise lol. So it's the balancing act requiring stealth parallel to the difficulty.

I suggest Hard mode with listening disabled. Ammo is scarce, but craftable resources seem relatively available.
I'm not to keen on the crafting in the game. It's really cool that it is real time, but for me it just makes the game more nerve-racking and by that I mean scary, but I should really get more acquainted with it because it is a big aspect of the game, yeah? You can't really get by without crafting your shit and preparing for enemies to face.

but again, why disable the listening? isn't that just an advantage you're ridding yourself of?

I don't think it's better than The Walking Dead (at least not as good as the show in later seasons, but I'd say it's on par with the first season of the Telltale games), but for what storytelling devices TLOU has at its' disposal, it's putting them to excellent use and they deserve every piece of credit for that.

Regarding the zombie thing, personally though this game seemed too focused on the human-vs-human combat. While the clickers were cool, most segments with infected felt like a gimmick at best which was a major letdown to me since I really didn't expect or want this game to be all about shooting other humans as much as it was.
I wouldn't ever play the the walking dead games. Unless I was playing with a friend in coop. And I guess it's not just the zombie aspect of this game but moreso that the setting itself being zombie-apocalypse that's bothersome. I'm not knocking the game for that obviously that's the whole point - just explaining why me & in my tastes it's not much of my cup of tea.

And... I'm not so sure if the game is all about shooting other humans that much. It is a 3rd person shooter but the scarcity aspect is very recurring, you can't expect to be shooting people like you do in uncharted.
If I remember correctly Grounded was essentially NG+ in the original game.
You are starting off in the mode meant for people who've beaten the game before
I misspoke, I'm on survival. NG+ seems to just be playing the game with bonuses, the mode you picked not mattering.
You're doing yourself a MAJOR disservice by playing on Grounded for your first time through. It will continue to limit your gameplay options, which was one of your initial complaints. There's going to be a lot of strategic variety that you'll be missing out on once the game opens up a bit more.

I strongly recommend immediately going to options and change the difficulty to Hard mode at the lowest. And if you feel like you're not being challenged enough, bump it to Survivor at most. Save Grounded for another time, man. Trust us on this one.
I misspoke bro, I'm on survivor not grounded. There's no way I'd be able to get through the whole game on grounded. But I hope I'm not in the wrong for starting off on survivor, either.

Jachaos

yeah, I am on survivor man, I misspoke. So with that in mind how much more stealth aspects should I be expecting as opposed to how the game is normally supposed to be played?

Oh, then Survivor should be fine, though it definitely is more stealthy than, say, Normal. The reason is really only the scarcity of ressources. On Normal if you fuck up your stealth on an encounter you can still survive by utilizing a bunch of ressources, playing it like an Uncharted game and moving on. In Survivor you often don't have that luxury, you can't go in and overpower the enemy on every single encounter.

About Listen Mode, that's a thing where when you press R2 you can see the enemies through walls. It's disabled on Survivor but not on Normal or Easy. It kills any tension you might have in an encounter in my opinion. I played through all of Boston on Normal with Listen Mode on before I found it in the options and turned it off. I was blazing through the game way too quick before then, but turning it off at least made it more of a survival game and more of a stealth game even though I still could often survive by not doing much stealth.

Also, heads up, if you run in online multiplayer you pop on enemy radars. So you shouldn't run and gun online either, you stick in group, revive each other, search for ressources and beat your enemies in team play through flanking, setting up traps, healing teammates while they're battling, etc.

Oh, then Survivor should be fine, though it definitely is more stealthy than, say, Normal. The reason is really only the scarcity of ressources. On Normal if you fuck up your stealth on an encounter you can still survive by utilizing a bunch of ressources, playing it like an Uncharted game and moving on. In Survivor you often don't have that luxury, you can't go in and overpower the enemy on every single encounter.

About Listen Mode, that's a thing where when you press R2 you can see the enemies through walls. It's disabled on Survivor but not on Normal or Easy. It kills any tension you might have in an encounter in my opinion. I played through all of Boston on Normal with Listen Mode on before I found it in the options and turned it off. I was blazing through the game way too quick before then, but turning it off at least made it more of a survival game and more of a stealth game even though I still could often survive by not doing much stealth.

Also, heads up, if you run in online multiplayer you pop on enemy radars. So you shouldn't run and gun online either, you stick in group, revive each other, search for ressources and beat your enemies in team play through flanking, setting up traps, healing teammates while they're battling, etc.
well if the harder modes simply require more stealth out of you, i'm just gonna have to suck it up & deal with it. and, I did not realize that listen was automatically disabled from hard & onward. I thought people were saying choose hard, and then disable listen. Anyways, I hope I can get through this, man. The game in general does not look easy to beat at all.

also yeah, my friend was schooling me on how some of the things work in multiplayer. but there are perks to factor in as well. I didn't know if just regular running made me show up on the minimap or if it was the sprinting. I think what would've been interesting is if they added a hardcore mode in which clickers were rampant within the maps as well, so that the teams would have to deal with them as well as the opponents

Rajang

I think the gameplay is better than the story, even. The story dominates the conversation, but it's a fantastic survival horror game.

It has some of the most satisfying gunplay in any third-person shooter I've ever played, in addition to the most satisfying melee combat in a TPS, as well. Near-perfection.

I agree. The story itself was not that special but the way the story was told was incredible. The dialogue, the characters and Joel and Ellie's relationship were really well done. The acting was the best I've ever seen in a videogame.

But the main reason I replayed the game multiple times was for the gameplay. On the higher difficulties you always have a limited set of tools and ammo and you need to overcome these difficult situations like a group of infected or hunters and it just puts so much pressure on you. And on those difficulties you don't sneak for the sake of sneaking but so you can stay alive. ''How many bullets do I have, how many guys are out there?'' And sometimes it goes wrong and shit hits the fan, and it just gets so fucking intense. And you're barely scraping through those moments and it really feels like you're really surviving in this harsh world just like the main characters.
The gunplay and melee combat is also incredibly satisfying and intense. I really love the bullet dmg. I just love it when developers don't pussy out when it comes to gore / bullet dmg. The realtime crafting and healing was also really well done and puts alot of pressure on the player during combat. I also liked the scavenging and the "quiet time" in the game. The pacing is also one of the games' main strength.

My biggest problem with the game was the inconsistent enemy AI. At times they acted like geniuses: flanking me or sneaking up on me and other times the AI was just completely broken.

The Last of Us is easily one of my favourite games. The gameplay really appeals to me; I love sneaking up Clickers and bashing it to death with a brick. The delivery of the story is also excellent. I'm not much of a multiplayer guy, but the multiplayer is so much fun. There's also a community thread for it if you have questions or comments.

Survivor might be a little hard for your first playthrough. The lack of button prompts in melee fights (such as on counter attacks) might cause you to take unnecessary damage. There's no shame in dropping down if you find it too hard.

If you insist on sticking with Survivor, I wish you luck!

People are saying 'try Hard + listen mode disabled' because it's a nice balance of difficulty (not overly restrictive, but you can't make too many mistakes either) and it keeps encounters suspenseful. Since you're playing on Survivor (where listen mode is automatically disabled), you might not be aware that listen mode lets you know (with certainty) where enemies are and what they are doing, through walls. It kinda kills the tension, does that make sense?

antitrop

well if the harder modes simply require more stealth out of you, i'm just gonna have to suck it up & deal with it. and, I did not realize that listen was automatically disabled from hard & onward. I thought people were saying choose hard, and then disable listen. Anyways, I hope I can get through this, man. The game in general does not look easy to beat at all.

Too much stealth is boring. The gameplay's greatest strength is the fluidity with which it moves from stealth to balls-out hectic gun/fistfights.

Getting into a situation where you're just going to restart from checkpoint if you break stealth makes the game boring as fuuuuuckkkkkk.

Jachaos

also yeah, my friend was schooling me on how some of the things work in multiplayer. but there are perks to factor in as well. I didn't know if just regular running made me show up on the minimap or if it was the sprinting. I think what would've been interesting is if they added a hardcore mode in which clickers were rampant within the maps as well, so that the teams would have to deal with them as well as the opponents

Agreed with antitrop, if you're stuck restarting every encounter a few times it will break the pacing of the game. You could still chug along I guess, but I've had people drop the game before the second half (best half) of it just because they bit off more than they could chew and that's something I'd advise you don't do. If it's too tough, just remember you can change difficulty and play the game on Hard. You can always come back to Survivor later when you're even better and when you're not in a rush to follow the narrative's pacing.

That idea about having Clickers on the map in a new game mode is really cool, I'd love that personally. They'd have to add bottles and bricks too. I might finally become Team Bottle instead of Team Brick if I can throw bottles in the general direction of my enemies and have Clickers swarm them. It'd be real nice.

I agree. The story itself was not that special but the way the story was told was incredible. The dialogue, the characters and Joel and Ellie's relationship were really well done. The acting was the best I've ever seen in a videogame.

But the main reason I replayed the game multiple times was for the gameplay. On the higher difficulties you always have a limited set of tools and ammo and you need to overcome these difficult situations like a group of infected or hunters and it just puts so much pressure on you. And on those difficulties you don't sneak for the sake of sneaking but so you can stay alive. ''How many bullets do I have, how many guys are out there?'' And sometimes it goes wrong and shit hits the fan, and it just gets so fucking intense. And you're barely scraping through those moments and it really feels like you're really surviving in this harsh world just like the main characters.
The gunplay and melee combat is also incredibly satisfying and intense. I really love the bullet dmg. I just love it when developers don't pussy out when it comes to gore / bullet dmg. The realtime crafting and healing was also really well done and puts alot of pressure on the player during combat. I also liked the scavenging and the "quiet time" in the game. The pacing is also one of the games' main strength.

My biggest problem with the game was the inconsistent enemy AI. At times they acted like geniuses: flanking me or sneaking up on me and other times the AI was just completely broken.
I think the acting in yakuza 3 may be on par with tlou. that being said, the acting is definitely captivating. it is as if you are playing through a post apocalyptic zombie film. but, that can be said about many games. tlou is just another example of it done well. as thegamedirect said, when a game blends its story and gameplay together and both are top notch, the game is usually a masterpiece.

and shit, the ai can have the capacity to sneak up on you? that's even more fucking nerve wracking.

The Last of Us is easily one of my favourite games. The gameplay really appeals to me; I love sneaking up Clickers and bashing it to death with a brick. The delivery of the story is also excellent. I'm not much of a multiplayer guy, but the multiplayer is so much fun. There's also a community thread for it if you have questions or comments.

Survivor might be a little hard for your first playthrough. The lack of button prompts in melee fights (such as on counter attacks) might cause you to take unnecessary damage. There's no shame in dropping down if you find it too hard.

If you insist on sticking with Survivor, I wish you luck!

People are saying 'try Hard + listen mode disabled' because it's a nice balance of difficulty (not overly restrictive, but you can't make too many mistakes either) and it keeps encounters suspenseful. Since you're playing on Survivor (where listen mode is automatically disabled), you might not be aware that listen mode lets you know (with certainty) where enemies are and what they are doing, through walls. It kinda kills the tension, does that make sense?
I am finding survivor to be very hard indeed. first of all it is a survival horror genre so just playing the game especially at night time (simultaneously in real life and in the game) scares the fuck outta me, but just now I got up to the point in the game where you're in the broken building, and joel says he'll go a little ahead to clear the path of runners and clickers. but man, this shit is scary. I really do not know how I will get through it. I know there is no shame in bumping down the difficulty, but... I want to believe that I can get through it, you know?

Too much stealth is boring. The gameplay's greatest strength is the fluidity with which it moves from stealth to balls-out hectic gun/fistfights.

Getting into a situation where you're just going to restart from checkpoint if you break stealth makes the game boring as fuuuuuckkkkkk.
I haven't done so much stealth in the game to the point where I'm bored as fuck because of it, but, it gets me madd tense. Like, so tense that's not even fun. Not saying it's not worth playing because I do wanna keep going, but the intimidation the game itself does to you is taking away the fun, entertainment factor from me.
Agreed with antitrop, if you're stuck restarting every encounter a few times it will break the pacing of the game. You could still chug along I guess, but I've had people drop the game before the second half (best half) of it just because they bit off more than they could chew and that's something I'd advise you don't do. If it's too tough, just remember you can change difficulty and play the game on Hard. You can always come back to Survivor later when you're even better and when you're not in a rush to follow the narrative's pacing.
I'm at the point where I just encountered my first clickers, so I think it's safe to say it's still very early on in the game, yeah? Now I know I sound like a chicken when I say this but it's true... I'm really afraid of moving forward. That fear would easily dispel if I reduced the game' difficulty, but since I've beaten other games starting them off in a harder mode, I'd like to believe I can continue in this way. But it's hard, I'm not gonna lie. Also, forgive me for being uninformed but I'm not sure what the phrase "bite more off than you can chew" means.
That idea about having Clickers on the map in a new game mode is really cool, I'd love that personally. They'd have to add bottles and bricks too. I might finally become Team Bottle instead of Team Brick if I can throw bottles in the general direction of my enemies and have Clickers swarm them. It'd be real nice.
word, yeah. Unfortunately though I really don't see them ever thinking of this at this point and adding to all the modes of multiplayer. And even if there is a sequel, I feel like it will be quite an evolution of a sequel to this game so the multiplayer could already be drastically different in the future.

Javin98

Banned
Yeah I agree.

Grounded is not the way to go for a first playthrough. Not knowing the quirks of the enemy AI will bite you in the ass down the line. Even as a seasoned stealth game fan, I think its a bit much. If you keep dying its going to ruin the momentum of the story.

Also, grounded and survivor for the most part forces you into a no-alert style of play. This pulls away from my favorite part of the gameplay, which is the dynamic transitioning between action and stealth.
I kinda disagree with you here. There are many instances where I'm spotted on Survivor and I just kill a few enemies and go right back to stealth to finish the rest. There is still a pretty good balance of action and stealth IMO.

I started playing it this past Christmas for the first time. It's now my favorite gene ever, and I've been gaming since the mid-80s. Simply perfection.

Hard Mode with Listen Off is the ideal gameplay experience. I think the gameplay is better than the story, even. The story dominates the conversation, but it's a fantastic survival horror game.

It has some of the most satisfying gunplay in any third-person shooter I've ever played, in addition to the most satisfying melee combat in a TPS, as well. Near-perfection.

Jachaos

I'm at the point where I just encountered my first clickers, so I think it's safe to say it's still very early on in the game, yeah? Now I know I sound like a chicken when I say this but it's true... I'm really afraid of moving forward. That fear would easily dispel if I reduced the game' difficulty, but since I've beaten other games starting them off in a harder mode, I'd like to believe I can continue in this way. But it's hard, I'm not gonna lie. Also, forgive me for being uninformed but I'm not sure what the phrase "bite more off than you can chew" means.
word, yeah. Unfortunately though I really don't see them ever thinking of this at this point and adding to all the modes of multiplayer. And even if there is a sequel, I feel like it will be quite an evolution of a sequel to this game so the multiplayer could already be drastically different in the future.

The first encounter with multiple Clickers? Yeah that's very early in the game. Don't worry, Survival is brutal especially if you don't want stealth and horror. It's simply very tough. I'd recommend Hard mode, really. Don't force yourself to play Survivor just because you beat other games on hard difficulties, Survivor is tougher than many games' hardest difficulties, especially on a first run through.

Bite off more than it can chew means trying to take on more than you can actually do. Like me trying to beat a Street Fighter game on the hardest difficulty.

KyleCross

First ever playthrough and it's on the hardest difficulty?

I'll never understand people who do that, they're potentially ruining their experience and for what? Normal is "normal" for a reason, it is the optimal experience developers make for their game. Easier modes are for people who find it too hard and anything above Normal is simple replay value. Never go above Normal on your first playthrough of any game.

I'll never understand people who do that, they're potentially ruining their experience and for what? Normal is "normal" for a reason, it is the optimal experience developers make for their game. Easier modes are for people who find it too hard and anything above Normal is simple replay value. Never go above Normal on your first playthrough of any game.

I would agree, but I think it's pretty clear that Hard is the most balanced version for a semi-experienced gamer. You just get way too many supplies in normal.

spekkeh

Banned
I agree. Love the story, hate the gameplay

Hate is too strong a word. But it could definitely have been a few hours shorter (or simply more varied) so it didn't feel like such a slog at times. The midpoint Ellie reversal was very welcoming but overdue. The story also doesn't really do anything interesting with the tired theme imo.

It's a great game, but not a masterpiece.

spekkeh

Banned
I would agree, but I think it's pretty clear that Hard is the most balanced version for a semi-experienced gamer. You just get way too many supplies in normal.

I don't agree, story games are not meant to be difficult, dying four times in a row is detrimental to the pacing.

Javin98

Banned
I don't agree, story games are not meant to be difficult, dying four times in a row is detrimental to the pacing.
If someone dies four times in a row on Hard, they should really consider if the term "semi experienced gamer" is suitable for them.

The last of us is so good even non gamers just wanna watch the story unfold. It was the defining game of last generation along with Xenoblade.

The first encounter with multiple Clickers? Yeah that's very early in the game. Don't worry, Survival is brutal especially if you don't want stealth and horror. It's simply very tough. I'd recommend Hard mode, really. Don't force yourself to play Survivor just because you beat other games on hard difficulties, Survivor is tougher than many games' hardest difficulties, especially on a first run through.

Bite off more than it can chew means trying to take on more than you can actually do. Like me trying to beat a Street Fighter game on the hardest difficulty.
ah, thanks for that. and yeah it seems like the best thing for me to do at this point is bump down the difficulty to continue. we'll see.

i noticed there's also trophies for beating the the game on all the difficulties on new game +. so if you beat the game on survivor and then move onto playing through it again on grounded+ and are successful, would you also get the trophies for the regular playthroughs as well?

i'm playing on survivor, not grounded. and i disagree - obviously it depends on the game, but the last two campaigns i completed which were infamous first light and advanced warfare, i beat on hardifficulties. first light on expert, and advanced warfare on hardened.

Hate is too strong a word. But it could definitely have been a few hours shorter (or simply more varied) so it didn't feel like such a slog at times. The midpoint Ellie reversal was very welcoming but overdue. The story also doesn't really do anything interesting with the tired theme imo.

It's a great game, but not a masterpiece.
well, everybody is entitled to your opinion and your's is not at all unreasonable, but I think the general consensus about this game is that it is a masterpiece. =]

Top Bottom