• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Last of Us remastered

I started playing Last of Us for the first time last night. I'm playing the PS4 version.

I just got past the first building full of Clickers.

I'm not really feeling it at all. It's a good enough game, but I honestly can't see why it gets so much hype. The production values are great, but the gameplay has been nothing special at all so far. Does that change?

It gets better. Keep playing.

I started playing Last of Us for the first time last night. I'm playing the PS4 version.

I'm not really feeling it at all. It's a good enough game, but I honestly can't see why it gets so much hype. The production values are great, but the gameplay has been nothing special at all so far. Does that change?

Considering how big my backlog is, I may stop if things don't pick up.

It gets much, much better after the first 2-3 hours. Keep playing.

Vice

The first 1/3 of the game is pretty boring. It picks up a bit in the middle, especially after you unlock some of the systems and weapons you don't have access to yet. The middle section is where the game shines.

Seanspeed

Banned

Depends on what you mean by 'first building full of clickers'.

But anyways, I think there are some undeniably tense moments of gameplay in the game. It's above average, pulled down some by not controlling very well, especially aiming, which is purposefully made difficult for a while(this game would be easy with keyboard/mouse). But there's a decent mix of stealth vs action, and some variety in how you can handle certain situations. Encounters are varied somewhat throughout, but lack of enemy variety drags things down a bit.

Definitely worth pushing on, but no, the gameplay isn't the strongest point of the game, though I don't think it's entirely mediocre like in Uncharted, either. Playing on a harder difficulty and turning off listening mode makes it a bit more thrilling in my opinion(and others will say the same), so try that if you haven't already.

I'm looking forward to jumping in with the Remaster once I get my headphone situation all sorted.

SomTervo

Pitsburgh is generally accepted as where the game comes into its own. The areas open up a lot more, each section becomes a lot longer, more depth creeps into the systems and encounters.

A lot of people aren't big fans, though, so don't feel like you need to be.

Now, about that ending...
Are we supposed to like Joel? I didn't really like him, or Ellie, I did care about her as a character but I just didn't actually like her. As for Joel... I'm sure back in 2013, a popular video game question must've been, "Did Joel do the right thing?"

because...I'm not sure I would say yes. I get why he did it, he didn't want to sacrifice Ellie and go through having her be a loss to him, but he did in a way to just be a man in control, like he's not gonna let this happen because he doesn't want it to. Like as a father, HE knows what's best and that's to not do this operation on her.

Along the way of the final section of the game I'm told there's some sort of recording that says they found other immune victims and operated on them to no avail, but it's not entirely clear to me. Can anyone explain in further detail?

Great to see you appreciate it, even if it's not entirely your cup of tea. Also great that you're engaging so much with the story. It's one of gaming's greatest achievements in that it makes the player feel absolutely confused as to what's right and what's wrong. Is Joel a good or a bad guy? Did he do the right or the wrong thing?
There's no right answer.

Re your reading of it as a zombie game: you're not literally wrong, but that's a really superficial reading of what's going on here. The fact that they are "zombies" is unimportant to the actual story. Eg we could replace cordyceps with a horrible new flu strain or plague which kills almost anyone and still gets spread around. Naughty Dog could have told exactly the same story in this context. The "zombies" are just a gimmick to make gameplay more interesting and add a little bit more tension and style. They are tangential to the game's events and the thrust of what's going on.

[Edit: if you're talking only about zombie gameplay mechanics and how little you like the 'run away/survive' aspect of them, then totally fair enough. That is pretty done and TLoU only adds a little to it.]

The core of the story is about Joel and Ellie. The whole "I don't like zombie games" is pretty arbitrary. The same story could have been told in almost any genre/universe type – would this have led you to arbitrarily like the game more?

spekkeh

Banned
The core of the story is about Joel and Ellie. The whole "I don't like zombie games" is pretty arbitrary. The same story could have been told in almost any genre/universe type – would this have led you to arbitrarily like the game more?

I think it would have led him to meaningfully like the game more.

SomTervo

Ah yes – arbitrary wasn't the right word there. Accidental repetition from the line before. But I'd still like the OP to say exactly what rubs him the wrong way about 'zombie' things.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

The problem is, you read too much on the internet. Hype on internet specially on GAF is insane. No game can match that, I have actually read a comment when Ryan from Giantbomb passed away that oh he at least get to play TLOU.

lol so I wouldn't be surprised at all if after reading all this and playing it first time would feel underwhelming.

It is definitely worth playing through, and this is coming from someone who did not thoroughly "enjoy" it (for personal tastes). So yes. Finish it.

Pitsburgh is generally accepted as where the game comes into its own. The areas open up a lot more, each section becomes a lot longer, more depth creeps into the systems and encounters.

A lot of people aren't big fans, though, so don't feel like you need to be.

Great to see you appreciate it, even if it's not entirely your cup of tea. Also great that you're engaging so much with the story. It's one of gaming's greatest achievements in that it makes the player feel absolutely confused as to what's right and what's wrong. Is Joel a good or a bad guy? Did he do the right or the wrong thing?
There's no right answer.
hey, I just saw that you replied to my post.

and yep. I concur with the masses that this is definitely one of the greatest game of all time. Essentially, everything about this game...is hard to top. As of 2013, the bar has been raised for masterpieces in gaming and I'm obviously not just talking about GTA5 (or ignoring its impact, either).

and anyways, in regards to the ending, I'd imagine most of the internet is divided upon whether he did the right thing or not, but I'd think that the slight majority (or vast, I dunno. who knows) but I just want to know if he was telling ellie the truth
about there being dozens of immune anomalies. it's unclear to me because I think the other anomalies were not as different and as much of an outlier of a case as ellie was. so, if that's true...then he was lying through and through.

I was also disliking him since the beginning of the game, where he ordered tommy to drive by that family on the road. I mean...I get why he did it, but he just didn't even hesitated. It was cold.
Re your reading of it as a zombie game: you're not literally wrong, but that's a really superficial reading of what's going on here. The fact that they are "zombies" is unimportant to the actual story. Eg we could replace cordyceps with a horrible new flu strain or plague which kills almost anyone and still gets spread around. Naughty Dog could have told exactly the same story in this context. The "zombies" are just a gimmick to make gameplay more interesting and add a little bit more tension and style. They are tangential to the game's events and the thrust of what's going on.

[Edit: if you're talking only about zombie gameplay mechanics and how little you like the 'run away/survive' aspect of them, then totally fair enough. That is pretty done and TLoU only adds a little to it.]

I know that the campaign was all about the survival story of joel and ellie, and it was great. the fact that it is a zombie game does not detract from my opinion that this game is a masterpiece. but it is still a zombie game. I have absolutely no desire to ever play through it again because of what it was - not saying that's all there was to it, I'll explain a bit further
I liked the game. Hell, I'd say it is one of the finest video game experience I've ever had. But I didn't really like playing it
Ah yes – arbitrary wasn't the right word there. Accidental repetition from the line before. But I'd still like the OP to say exactly what rubs him the wrong way about 'zombie' things.
Let alone the zombie subgenre, as far as genres in entertainment go, I'm not a fan of the horror genre at all. Not sure if I mentioned that in this thread already.I don't fucking like being fucking scared all the time. For 90% of my playthrough of this game, my heart was racing. And I may've inherited blood pressure problems from my dad, so it wasn't fun. I wasn't really "having fun" while playing this game. But I'm glad that I did.

I'm someone who screamed at the theater while watching black swan. Even if there weren't zombies in this game - it being a post apocalyptic setting and still having a the horror-genre aspect to it, is something that I don't personally have a fond taste in. When the game was first announced, I was really excited about it, but my interest dropped more and more as hints of it being a zombie/horror game were hinted at, and was significantly dropped when it was confirmed.

GravyButt

How's online? Still active? Got tlour on release date but never touched online. Debating if it's worth it. Fyi really the only online games Ive ever fallen in love with were gears of war if that means anything.

The only reason I kept playing was Ellie and the art direction.

The gameplay was so repetitive and boring!

Whenever someone calls a Naughty Dog game "repetitive" I really appreciate how difficult their job is.

The thing is, all games are sort of repetitive. How ND works around this is being masters of scenario design.

To see people play through these truly intelligent and engaging scenarios and only see repetition, must weigh heavily on them.

The eternal struggle of making something that "clicks" with everyone...probably harder than accepting cult success, in some ways.

Your opinion is just as valid as mine, but man, I see the game entirely differently.

Whenever someone calls a Naughty Dog game "repetitive" I really appreciate how difficult their job is.

The thing is, all games are sort of repetitive. How ND works around this is being masters of scenario design.

To see people play through these truly intelligent and engaging scenarios and only see repetition, must weigh heavily on them.

The eternal struggle of making something that "clicks" with everyone...probably harder than accepting cult success, in some ways.

Your opinion is just as valid as mine, but man, I see the game entirely differently.
as far as repetition in video games go, I wouldn't say tlou is really repetitive. uncharted on the other hand, with those endless waves of bullet sponges...

Just finished it. It definitely got better about a third of the way into the game, and Winter was my favourite segment by far.

I'm glad I stuck with it; it's a great game, though that's mainly due to the writing. The chemistry between Joel and Ellie is fantastic, and Ellie is one of the most well-realised characters in gaming.

The actual gameplay was good, but nothing special, as there was't much in the way of variety. For that reason, I certainly don't agree with people who claim that this is one of the best games of all time.

Will probably play Left Behind tomorrow.

Toppot

Started playing this today got up to
Bill's place and we are about to scavenge for car parts,
and I am just finding it boring, going through the motions.

The combat seems ok, very slow pacing, story is simple, looks good, but just nothing grabbing me, I'm having a break for food and nothing is making me want to pick up the controller again and carry on with the game.

Reading people posts I guess I am on the verge of it getting somewhat interesting?

I've just got to the part where Joel and Ellie
get attacked by raiders.

Fantastic world, fantastic story, and of course very beautiful, but the gameplay is the definition of uninspired.

Started playing this today got up to
Bill's place and we are about to scavenge for car parts,
and I am just finding it boring, going through the motions.

The combat seems ok, very slow pacing, story is simple, looks good, but just nothing grabbing me, I'm having a break for food and nothing is making me want to pick up the controller again and carry on with the game.

Reading people posts I guess I am on the verge of it getting somewhat interesting?
Seems more like it's simply not a game for you.
Can't please everyone.

Ogawa-san

This LTTP includes Left Behind, right?

I went through the Remastered pack last week. Fantastic games and all, but I feel it ended up on a bad note because of LB's ending...

We all knew they'd both get infected and Riley would die, so I expected to see Riley's last hours and how Ellie dealt with it. I mean, that'd be an important part on their relationship and about Ellie's development. But nope, "let's wait out" > cut to the credits, and that was that. I know it's deliberate and that they "didn't feel it was important" but it was disappointing.

Top Bottom