• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Last of Us remastered

The Lamp

It's not always stealth. It's got some tense action moments.

If you hate playing it you should just watch a lets play.

lingpanda

I recently finished this game after putting it down shortly after release. I found one of the initial confrontation with the clickers frustrating. I put it down and wasn't sure if I would return. I'm glad I did as things improved. Solid 9/10 for me. A little repetitive but fun.

PensOwl

Banned
Too much stealth is boring. The gameplay's greatest strength is the fluidity with which it moves from stealth to balls-out hectic gun/fistfights.

Getting into a situation where you're just going to restart from checkpoint if you break stealth makes the game boring as fuuuuuckkkkkk.

I tried playing this as a pure stealth game, it wasn't fun. The game simply isn't built around being a pure stealth game, which is grating as the scarcity of resources makes stealth the optimal solution in every encounter

i noticed there's also trophies for beating the the game on all the difficulties on new game +. so if you beat the game on survivor and then move onto playing through it again on grounded+ and are successful, would you also get the trophies for the regular playthroughs as well?

I don't believe you can earn NG trophies on NG+, so you will have to do a fresh Grounded run at some point if you want the platinum.

Jachaos

ah, thanks for that. and yeah it seems like the best thing for me to do at this point is bump down the difficulty to continue. we'll see.

i noticed there's also trophies for beating the the game on all the difficulties on new game +. so if you beat the game on survivor and then move onto playing through it again on grounded+ and are successful, would you also get the trophies for the regular playthroughs as well?

You can, yeah. If you create a NG+ and then go to the main menu and change the difficulty to Grounded you'll get all difficulty-related trophies upon completing Grounded+.

I don't believe you can earn NG trophies on NG+, so you will have to do a fresh Grounded run at some point if you want the platinum.

You can, or at the very least could, because it's what I did back in 2013. Normal and then Survivor+.

It's not always stealth. It's got some tense action moments.

If you hate playing it you should just watch a lets play.
I may watch some let's play for guidance on how to get through certain sections of the game. the trophies ain't gonna unlock themselves :p
I recently finished this game after putting it down shortly after release. I found one of the initial confrontation with the clickers frustrating. I put it down and wasn't sure if I would return. I'm glad I did as things improved. Solid 9/10 for me. A little repetitive but fun.
a little off topic, just wanna say I like your avatar ;)
I tried playing this as a pure stealth game, it wasn't fun. The game simply isn't built around being a pure stealth game, which is grating as the scarcity of resources makes stealth the optimal solution in every encounter
if it's not built around pure stealth, then stealth would not be emphasized in the higher difficulties. it's quite obvious you cannot get around this game most of the time doing pure action shit, you have to be very fucking careful.
fuck no I don't want the platinum, I just want that extra gold trophy for beating it on survivor. If I even can.
You can, yeah. If you create a NG+ and then go to the main menu and change the difficulty to Grounded you'll get all difficulty-related trophies upon completing Grounded+.

You can, or at the very least could, because it's what I did back in 2013. Normal and then Survivor+.
I dunno if it's a glitch or error, but I'm looking at the trophy list on the playstation app and there doesn't even seem to be trophies to be unlocked for beating on grounded and grounded+.

Jachaos

I may watch some let's play for guidance on how to get through certain sections of the game. the trophies ain't gonna unlock themselves :p
a little off topic, just wanna say I like your avatar ;)
if it's not built around pure stealth, then stealth would not be emphasized in the higher difficulties. it's quite obvious you cannot get around this game most of the time doing pure action shit, you have to be very fucking careful.
fuck no I don't want the platinum, I just want that extra gold trophy for beating it on survivor. If I even can.
I dunno if it's a glitch or error, but I'm looking at the trophy list on the playstation app and there doesn't even seem to be trophies to be unlocked for beating on grounded and grounded+.

It's a separate trophy list. There's the main game, Left Behind, the two Map Packs and Grounded Mode as trophy lists when you select The Last of Us.

Edit: Yes that's a lot of trophy lists, I have the Platinum Trophy and I have all the Left Behind trophies and only have 69% completion overall. The two map packs and Grounded Mode make up the rest (I did get most of the Map Pack trophies in the Remaster but didn't get most of the main game ones)

Vashetti

Banned

Grounded Mode has it's own section on the Trophy list, like Left Behind and the MP maps.

Just finished the game on normal difficulty as my first play through and my first game completed on the PS4. Fun game, story was great and the gameplay was good, expected a little more from the gameplay honestly from all the hype I had heard. Haven't touched the DLC or the multiplayer yet since I don't have a PS Plus subscription so I can't comment on that.

I'll probably do another play through at some point on hard difficulty but can someone explain to me the difference between hard and hard+?

The hardest difficulty that anyone should play TLoU on their first play through is Hard. I loved the hell out of it on Hard when I first played and I had a friend that played on Normal and had a completely different experience (Was very lukewarm about it). I have since played and beat the game again on Grounded and while it is a great challenge, the experience is not the best. There were many times where I ALMOST just said "Fuck this game" and stopped playing. It can be borderline masochistic on Grounded and that is no way to enjoy the game on your first play through.

TL;DR
If it is your first time playing TLOU, play on Hard and enjoy the ride.

Darksol

Whatever, dude. Most of humanity was affected by a virus which turns them into brain dead, violent morons. The same bullshit argument was used to "prove" that the ganados from resi 4 weren't zombies, but they are.

Awesome game. Even more awesome multiplayer. I had an absolute blast playing with an online friend of a friend. We ended up becoming friends in real life. Anyone who hasn't checked it out should fix that ASAP. Just be wary of the ultra hardcore groups still playing at this point. You'll have no chance against them.

1. Not a virus
2. Not brain dead
3. Not undead

Jachaos

So you could do Easy followed by Grounded+ to get all 10 of the difficulty based trophies? Or am I missing something?

Well yes, if I remember correctly. I know I simply finished it on Normal and then chose NG+, quit and went into Select Chapter -> First Chapter -> Survivor. Though looking it up on Google now it seems unclear whether it's been patched or whether you can still do it.

spekkeh

Banned
well, everybody is entitled to your opinion and your's is not at all unreasonable, but I think the general consensus about this game is that it is a masterpiece. =]
I guess. I thought the DLC Left Behind was much better by the way. Close to masterpiece status.

man, this is one hard fucking game. i ended up shareplaying with someone to get through the first bit with the clickers & runners. after that, in the... "subway" area, I was able to stealth my way out of not having to kill any of the clickers except for that last one next to the ladder, which I shiv killed. survivor, so far, is a go.

It's a separate trophy list. There's the main game, Left Behind, the two Map Packs and Grounded Mode as trophy lists when you select The Last of Us.

Edit: Yes that's a lot of trophy lists, I have the Platinum Trophy and I have all the Left Behind trophies and only have 69% completion overall. The two map packs and Grounded Mode make up the rest (I did get most of the Map Pack trophies in the Remaster but didn't get most of the main game ones)
ah, alright cool. props to having the platinum, this looks like quite the challenging game to go after the plat. so there are multiplayer trophies to earn as well huh with the map packs and all.

They're not zombies dammit...idk why but it makes me so mad. I know it can't be helped.

Stick with it. Trust us when we say that.
who is "us"? people who have played the game? well i'm one of them, and they're zombies. "zombie-like" creatures - whatever. it is ND's take on the zombie apocalypse. it frustrates me when people try to make out otherwise just because these things are not undead. all the same principles apply.

anyone saying tlou is not a zombie game is similar to those people in the Me2vsUc2 thread saying Me2 isn't a shooter game.
Grounded Mode has it's own section on the Trophy list, like Left Behind and the MP maps.
gotcha, thanks. i don't think i'll ever be playing this on grounded though, lol
Just finished the game on normal difficulty as my first play through and my first game completed on the PS4. Fun game, story was great and the gameplay was good, expected a little more from the gameplay honestly from all the hype I had heard. Haven't touched the DLC or the multiplayer yet since I don't have a PS Plus subscription so I can't comment on that.

I'll probably do another play through at some point on hard difficulty but can someone explain to me the difference between hard and hard+?
I don't know, but I think you get to have more stuff to construct with in +. but someone else in the thread should answer you

The hardest difficulty that anyone should play TLoU on their first play through is Hard. I loved the hell out of it on Hard when I first played and I had a friend that played on Normal and had a completely different experience (Was very lukewarm about it). I have since played and beat the game again on Grounded and while it is a great challenge, the experience is not the best. There were many times where I ALMOST just said "Fuck this game" and stopped playing. It can be borderline masochistic on Grounded and that is no way to enjoy the game on your first play through.

TL;DR
If it is your first time playing TLOU, play on Hard and enjoy the ride.
I don't think I can "enjoy" the ride either way man, because the horror in this genre is truly horrifying me. like, it is scaring me. I don't do well with the genre and I think I said already in a post that it is taking away the "fun" factor for me. but that doesn't mean I don't want to stop playing.

1. Not a virus
2. Not brain dead
3. Not undead
please, tell me why 28 days later is not only a zombie film, but is considered to have been the film to help reinvigorate the whole zombie-horror sub-genre?

if you wanna really touch on accuracy, zombies started with vodou magic bringing corpses back into animation. how many zombie fiction stories in modern day have the undead brought back by magic?

it is as jeremy jahns describes in one of his reviews. "ravenous, out of their minds, and crave human flesh" this description still fits perfectly fine with the clickers in tlou.
Mechanically though . . . quite similar. But they're fast which is great for the game.
mechanically, and thematically. and no, them being fast does not work great for the game (not for me the player), lol
I watched someone else play the last third of the game because I was so tired of the gameplay.
you mean you handed the controller to them to finish it or you just didn't even bother to complete your playthrough and watched the third of it on youtube?

hm, there are more than a few people that have said that the gameplay's boring and repetitive.
I guess. I thought the DLC Left Behind was much better by the way. Close to masterpiece status.
i'll get to it when i'm done with the campaign, man. is it harder?

nel e nel

Yeah, the solutions on TrueTrophies and PSTropies.org still have the chapter select trick to unlock all the NG+ trophies.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I still don't get how people criticise how TLOU plays. I think it's the only game I have ever played that was so well designed, it actually changes genre depending on difficulty.

I'm really sick of seeing it described as a Zombie game as well, they are in it but it's not about them.

Yeah, the solutions on TrueTrophies and PSTropies.org still have the chapter select trick to unlock all the NG+ trophies.

For what it's worth, I followed this method and it didn't work for me.

man, this is one hard fucking game. i ended up shareplaying with someone to get through the first bit with the clickers & runners. after that, in the... "subway" area, I was able to stealth my way out of not having to kill any of the clickers except for that last one next to the ladder, which I shiv killed. survivor, so far, is a go.

IMO that first section you described is the hardest encounter in the game, considering how close it is to the start.

I still don't get how people criticise how TLOU plays. I think it's the only game I have ever played that was so well designed, it actually changes genre depending on difficulty.

I think The Last of Us would be a much better game if it wasn't so concerned with the fact that it's a game, if that makes sense. There are so many times where the game utilises some stupid video game cliché "because that's what games do" and it reminds you that you're playing a game, and it really pulls you out of the world.

There's not really anything special about the gameplay as a result, you've seen it all before a hundred times.

Good news!

The characters are great. Or at least exponentially better than TWD characters. (Also, you should play the first season of the Telltale game. Again, much better characters than the show.)

Yeah, no. I don't watch the show, but TWD S1's characters were better/more believable than TLOU's by a country mile. The way the characters were written was what killed TLOU for me.

ah, alright cool. props to having the platinum, this looks like quite the challenging game to go after the plat. so there are multiplayer trophies to earn as well huh with the map packs and all.

who is "us"? people who have played the game? well i'm one of them, and they're zombies. "zombie-like" creatures - whatever. it is ND's take on the zombie apocalypse. it frustrates me when people try to make out otherwise just because these things are not undead. all the same principles apply.

anyone saying tlou is not a zombie game is similar to those people in the Me2vsUc2 thread saying Me2 isn't a shooter game.
gotcha, thanks. i don't think i'll ever be playing this on grounded though, lol
I don't know, but I think you get to have more stuff to construct with in +. but someone else in the thread should answer you

I don't think I can "enjoy" the ride either way man, because the horror in this genre is truly horrifying me. like, it is scaring me. I don't do well with the genre and I think I said already in a post that it is taking away the "fun" factor for me. but that doesn't mean I don't want to stop playing.

please, tell me why 28 days later is not only a zombie film, but is considered to have been the film to help reinvigorate the whole zombie-horror sub-genre?

if you wanna really touch on accuracy, zombies started with vodou magic bringing corpses back into animation. how many zombie fiction stories in modern day have the undead brought back by magic?

it is as jeremy jahns describes in one of his reviews. "ravenous, out of their minds, and crave human flesh" this description still fits perfectly fine with the clickers in tlou.
mechanically, and thematically. and no, them being fast does not work great for the game (not for me the player), lol
you mean you handed the controller to them to finish it or you just didn't even bother to complete your playthrough and watched the third of it on youtube?

hm, there are more than a few people that have said that the gameplay's boring and repetitive.

The whole point of survival horror is about doing everything you can to survive (brutal melee, stealth, intense shootouts, and TLOU does all of them really well) and it's fucking horrifying. It's not a kiddie carnival haunted house like the recent RE games for sure. You're supposed to be scared, it's supposed to be intense.

Use aim and walk to sneak by clickers, you're virtually invisible, save your shivs for doors, the bow is your friend.

I think The Last of Us would be a much better game if it wasn't so concerned with the fact that it's a game, if that makes sense. There are so many times where the game utilises some stupid video game cliché "because that's what games do" and it reminds you that you're playing a game, and it really pulls you out of the world.

There's not really anything special about the gameplay as a result, you've seen it all before a hundred times.
Actually TLOU is basically the only game that really has levels that blend stealth and melee/shootouts really well and the mechanics to support them fluidly (both button layouts and animations). Just because something is a third person shooter doesn't mean it does anything anywhere near how well TLOU does it.

Actually TLOU is basically the only game that really has levels that blend stealth and melee/shootouts really well and the mechanics to support them fluidly (both button layouts and animations). Just because something is a third person shooter doesn't mean it does anything anywhere near how well TLOU does it.

So a couple of examples:

The first time you find yourself in a gun-fight. You walk out into this little square, there are waist high barriers everywhere... I WONDER WHAT COULD HAPPEN NEX- OH IT'S A BAD GUY WITH A GUN! I couldn't stop laughing the whole way through that fight. It was ridiculous.

Hey, there's a high ledge, I wonder how I can get up there? Oh, it's okay, there's a conveniently placed block I can push towards it.

A locked room, I wonder if it contains treasure oh of fucking course it contains treasure FFS. For a game that tries so hard to go beyond what games can be, it contains a lot of tired old game shit.

I'm not saying The Last of Us isn't the best example of all its mechanics because it probably is, but the fact remains that none of the mechanics are new and they don't feel new. Even the structure isn't left alone and the game suffers as a result. Take the moment where
you're in the room with Tommy and the bad guys show up.
That doesn't happen for the sake of the story, it happens because it's a game and it needs to have a shooting bit at that moment. Or the part
at the ranch
may be a better example. There's a tense moment there and instead of the game being able to peak there and move on, it has to follow it with a shooting segment because "game." In the end it makes that whole scene preceding it feel as though it doesn't matter.

Naughty Dog just haven't been very brave. They've made a game which is superficially "different" and "interesting" but ultimately it's not. It's just a very good example of "any old game."

That still means it's very good, but it's more 7/10 than 10/10, is all.

I'm really sick of seeing it described as a Zombie game as well, they are in it but it's not about them.
the setting is a zombie apocalypse. as someone stated above, zombie stories are usually not ever about the zombies themselves but the characters, coz that's how stories work. i really do not see what is wrong with having it described as a zombie game, all things considered. again, it is similar to saying Me2 is not a shooter.

For what it's worth, I followed this method and it didn't work for me.
the online guides did not help you?

IMO that first section you described is the hardest encounter in the game, considering how close it is to the start.
I'm up to the museum now and I'm stuck again.

The whole point of survival horror is about doing everything you can to survive (brutal melee, stealth, intense shootouts, and TLOU does all of them really well) and it's fucking horrifying. It's not a kiddie carnival haunted house like the recent RE games for sure. You're supposed to be scared, it's supposed to be intense.

Use aim and walk to sneak by clickers, you're virtually invisible, save your shivs for doors, the bow is your friend.
I have a feeling the average person playing this game is not scared to death about it. I'm someone who screamed in the theater watching black swan and I screamed in episode 7 of the walking dead season 5. the horror genre is just not for me.

I mean, they work great when you're up to par with the difficulty they bring :p. I think it's good to keep in mind that some of your complaints are entirely reliant on your own choices and ability lol.

re: Horror. Weirdly, I didn't have that much trouble with this game, but most horror movies make me hit pause at least a few times.

edit: I was definitely tense throughout . . . but not scared.

LOL

Some users are all topics on Tlou trying to convince others that the game does not deserve all the appreciation of critics and players.

About the game, totally recommend the MP, is simply the best available in the PS4.

Tactical, brutal, the feeling of weapons, gunplay, you hunt, you be the prey.

Edit: He was in a shootout with a guy, I killed him. Two players on the other team saw me, I was in critical condition, without medical kit and bullet left a bomb in the corner and ran to attract the guys, the two came after me, the bomb exploded and the two lost legs. Double kill.

I stopped and looked at my brother and said, fuck this game has the best multiplayer of the world.

I was playing the multiplayer earlier with a buddy of mine that is new to it. We were trying out Survivors (one life per round, best of 7 rounds) when everyone on our team but us quit after we lost the first round. It felt pretty great when we made a comeback and won the match despite being outnumbered 2 to 1.

For what it's worth, that part of the game is one of the hardest 'stealth' segments, so congrats on beating it! :)

For groups of Runners, you might want to try throwing a brick or a bottle at them (using just R2 and not L2 + R2), grabbing them with triangle, killing them with square, and then running away and repeating. Takes a bit of practice but I think it's worth it.

In terms of difficulty, the hardest parts of Left Behind are fairly similar to the hardest parts of the main game.

When you start hard+, you get to keep your weapon upgrades (not the weapons themselves though), skill upgrades, and unused parts and supplements that you had at the end of the previous playthrough. So if you have a fully upgraded revolver at the end of your first playthrough, it will be fully upgraded when you pick it up in the second playthrough.

SomTervo

I kinda disagree with you here. There are many instances where I'm spotted on Survivor and I just kill a few enemies and go right back to stealth to finish the rest. There is still a pretty good balance of action and stealth IMO.

This is very true but you have to be a really good player to pull it off. Contrary to popular "cinematic game's have shit gameplay" beliefs, skill has a huge impact on TLoU and Uncharted 2's gameplay, but only really on Survivor and Grounded. I saved myself from several deadly, alert situations in Grounded, but only because I had a deep, deep understanding of survival tactics which one can employ in the game and the game's movement/attack mechanics.

Hate is too strong a word. But it could definitely have been a few hours shorter (or simply more varied) so it didn't feel like such a slog at times. The midpoint Ellie reversal was very welcoming but overdue. The story also doesn't really do anything interesting with the tired theme imo.

It's a great game, but not a masterpiece.

Try playing it again.

It's one of those perfectly constructed stories: on first playthrough it might strike you as an okay story with mediocre gameplay pacing. But when you go back and start again, you'll notice a bunch of stuff you didn't see first time. Play it again and you'll see more, again and see more, etc.

If you aren't seeing that stuff maybe you're just not observant enough! It's one of the deepest and most meaningful stories in gaming. And remember: plot does note a good story make. A good story is about characters, and only characters. Events are meaningless structure to tell a story about people. A lot of people hated the ending, but endings are cop-outs anyway. The only thing that matters about and ending is how much it tells you about the characters and how much (or how little) they have changed. And TLoU does this in truckloads.

This.

Nobody realises how much of an achievement it is that TLoU's gameplay seamlessley goes from phenomenal stealth and horror to incredibly realistic and tense action then back to terrifying stealth over the course of thirty seconds. No other game has done that. Also I'm quite certain that TLoU is the only action game which really creates a improvisational survival, on a moment-to-moment basis. Like, sure, in Half-Life 2 you could improvise firing a brick at some guy to kill him, or in MGS3 you could improvise placing some magazine somewhere. But TLoU is the only one where, once spotted, you have split second to improvise a reaction, and subsequent split seconds to hold off enemies doing unexpected things or escaping.

So a couple of examples:

The first time you find yourself in a gun-fight. You walk out into this little square, there are waist high barriers everywhere... I WONDER WHAT COULD HAPPEN NEX- OH IT'S A BAD GUY WITH A GUN! I couldn't stop laughing the whole way through that fight. It was ridiculous.

Hey, there's a high ledge, I wonder how I can get up there? Oh, it's okay, there's a conveniently placed block I can push towards it.

A locked room, I wonder if it contains treasure oh of fucking course it contains treasure FFS. For a game that tries so hard to go beyond what games can be, it contains a lot of tired old game shit.

I'm not saying The Last of Us isn't the best example of all its mechanics because it probably is, but the fact remains that none of the mechanics are new and they don't feel new. Even the structure isn't left alone and the game suffers as a result. Take the moment where
That doesn't happen for the sake of the story, it happens because it's a game and it needs to have a shooting bit at that moment. Or the part
at the ranch
may be a better example. There's a tense moment there and instead of the game being able to peak there and move on, it has to follow it with a shooting segment because "game." In the end it makes that whole scene preceding it feel as though it doesn't matter.

Naughty Dog just haven't been very brave. They've made a game which is superficially "different" and "interesting" but ultimately it's not. It's just a very good example of "any old game."

Sounds like the gameplay didn't click for you, which is a pity.

Those forced segments you noted are pretty obvious, but that's because, like any game, it has to teach you how to play the damn game. Especially that first, most obvious gunfight situation.

Druckmann and Straley will have designed the story from the ground up to make encounters like this happen in believable situations, for example the attack later on in the game that you mention. They obviously didn't pace it or justify it quite well enouogh in that context, I agree. But many other situations in the game, the scenarios work perfectly. And those bits you bring up still have excellent gameplay, especially on Survivor or Grounded. Like, I prefer TLoU's gunfights to gunfights in any other TPS. So when it was obvious a fight would happen, I was cool with it. And they still made sure to have characters talking and developing throughout these combat situations. There was never a fight for a fight's sake. The characters were always building throughout, or we were learning more about them.

When the gameplay clicked for me, there was nothing else like it. Intense survival: a perfect storm/blend of hiding from threatening guys, then getting spotted and beating one down, then running away with bullets flying behind me, then hiding again, using nailbombs as traps, attracting guys towards one, getting dudes from behind, whittling down their numbers, getting spotted and having a shootout again...

Even seminal times like being stealth attacked by a bad guy. Yes, the AI was good enough that if it saw you and you hadn't seen it, the enemy would actually sneak up behind you and grab you, alerting the others. Nothing else like it. Except, perhaps Alien: Isolation.

If you didn't play TLoU on Survivor/Grounded, all of this might be lost on you.

The overuse of waist-high barriers was sometimes a bit much, though.

Javin98

Banned
This is very true but you have to be a really good player to pull it off. Contrary to popular "cinematic game's have shit gameplay" beliefs, skill has a huge impact on TLoU and Uncharted 2's gameplay, but only really on Survivor and Grounded. I saved myself from several deadly, alert situations in Grounded, but only because I had a deep, deep understanding of survival tactics which one can employ in the game and the game's movement/attack mechanics.
Dude, I almost feel as if you're my clone when it comes to playing Uncharted 2 and The Last Of Us. Played Crushing and Survivor on both respectively and I really feel it's the definitive way to play the games. I wouldn't call myself a very skilled player in TLOU, but there are many times when I was spotted and went back to stealth after killing a few. Stealthing the whole way gets a bit stale fast anyway.

SomTervo

Dude, I almost feel as if you're my clone when it comes to playing Uncharted 2 and The Last Of Us. Played Crushing and Survivor on both respectively and I really feel it's the definitive way to play the games. I wouldn't call myself a very skilled player in TLOU, but there are many times when I was spotted and went back to stealth after killing a few. Stealthing the whole way gets a bit stale fast anyway.

Word up, brother!

TLoU on Survival and Uncharted 2 on Crushing were my defining experiences of 7th generation consoles. People owe it to themselves to play those games on those difficulties.

That's one of the issues with Grounded. Most of it needs to be stealthed, but you can survive some action. You just need to be very, very good at the controls and mechanics and have some tactics ingrained in your mind.

I think it's definitely the way TLoU is meant to be played. Difficult stealth, and not sweating the small stuff if you're spotted (unlike MGS), just dealing with it. Each encounter can pan out so differently, too. I've replayed some fights (just like in UC2) about 7 or 8 times in one playthrough, different stuff each time.

Javin98

Banned
Word up, brother!

TLoU on Survival and Uncharted 2 on Crushing were my defining experiences of 7th generation consoles. People owe it to themselves to play those games on those difficulties.

That's one of the issues with Grounded. Most of it needs to be stealthed, but you can survive some action. You just need to be very, very good at the controls and mechanics and have some tactics ingrained in your mind.

I think it's definitely the way TLoU is meant to be played. Difficult stealth, and not sweating the small stuff if you're spotted (unlike MGS), just dealing with it. Each encounter can pan out so differently, too. I've replayed some fights (just like in UC2) about 7 or 8 times in one playthrough, different stuff each time.
Yep, the thing I love most about TLOU on higher difficulties is that every encounter feels very different from the others and this really adds to the replayability. I had a similar feeling with Uncharted 2 but to a much lesser extent due to the more linear maps. Still played it many times regardless. Anyway, *brofist*, dude!

spekkeh

Banned
T
If you aren't seeing that stuff maybe you're just not observant enough! It's one of the deepest and most meaningful stories in gaming. And remember: plot does note a good story make. A good story is about characters, and only characters. Events are meaningless structure to tell a story about people.

Er? No I don't agree with this narrow view at all. Stories can also be about themes, and rhetorical messages and societal reflections, they can dazzle with ingenuity and compel with plot. If it's purely about the characters and setting is somehow unimportant, then sure I can see why you think this is one of the better game stories out there, but I don't ascribe to that view.

spekkeh

Banned

I agree, I wrote this about Left Behind in my GOTY post

3. The last of us: Left behind ; I actually much preferred this DLC over the original game. The pacing is better for one, focusing more on storytelling and less on shooting, and intercutting between different times, which makes the rather linear story more cognitively interesting and to add some levity to the gloom. Ellie is also simply more engaging than Joel to me. But above all I found TLoU:R’s crafting mechanic to not really work for the game. Much like Bioshock Infinite, this game layer on top of the storytelling actually takes me out of the immersion. You follow an NPC through a building, every turn they take you go into the opposite direction because you just know there’s loot there, killing any sense of forward momentum. Left Behind still has this in the more ‘gamey’ areas, but by cutting to another time period the developers were able to focus on an I think much more interesting environmental storytelling. Where going off the beaten path would lead to deepening of character relationships by picking up things from the environment unrelated to game systems.

So I guess we really are the last of us.

There's not a single time this made up quote is used when i don't totally lose it. Lol.

OP, TLOU is a lot about the characters.They're really well developed and their journey is rich and fulfilling. Play on easy or normal and enjoy.

SomTervo

Try playing it again.

It's one of those perfectly constructed stories: on first playthrough it might strike you as an okay story with mediocre gameplay pacing. But when you go back and start again, you'll notice a bunch of stuff you didn't see first time. Play it again and you'll see more, again and see more, etc.

If you aren't seeing that stuff maybe you're just not observant enough! It's one of the deepest and most meaningful stories in gaming. And remember: plot does note a good story make. A good story is about characters, and only characters. Events are meaningless structure to tell a story about people. A lot of people hated the ending, but endings are cop-outs anyway. The only thing that matters about and ending is how much it tells you about the characters and how much (or how little) they have changed. And TLoU does this in truckloads.

Er? No I don't agree with this narrow view at all. Stories can also be about themes, and rhetorical messages and societal reflections, they can dazzle with ingenuity and compel with plot. If it's purely about the characters and setting is somehow unimportant, then sure I can see why you think this is one of the better game stories out there, but I don't ascribe to that view.

I suppose I didn't describe my argument well enough.

Characters are the vehicle of any story. A plot is nothing if it doesn't have good characters experiencing it. As such, plot is slave to characters. A 'story' doesn't need much plot at all (see Breaking Bad: the entire 5 season show can be boiled down to two or three plot points. What's happening for 5 whole seasons? Characters. And the minutiae of the plot, which barely count save for creating temporary, monster-of-the-week tension.)

The same goes for all of it in terms of story: setting only matters if the characters engage with it (as they do in TLoU all the time); plot only matters if it affects the characters (as it does in TLoU all the time- Sarah's death, etc, then Joel's obsession with protecting Ellie, etc); themes only matter as long as they can be boiled down to the character studies in the story, the relatable examples on show, the work's Exhibit A (and B, and C, etc).

Perhaps themes, as you mentioned, are the only things which come above character, and indeed, TLoU explores several themes with beautiful elegance. What is morally 'right' and 'wrong' when civilisation's order has collapsed? (What does morality mean anyway?) How does a person deal with trauma? What is the importance of government and authority? In my opinion, TLoU explores these just as effectively as Of Mice and Men or Beloved in their own ways - and these are landmarks in American literature.

Just seems like you didn't think about the game enough, bro

Edit: Left Behind is def a masterpiece too, I totally agree on that. I think the gameplay in LB takes it to the next level like the main game should have. Didn't like the ending so much though. The pacing wasn't as perfect as the main game.

PooBone

So I know about this game and that it is considered one of if not, the greatest games of all time. Up until now, I never played it. And that is because, while I am very much into story driven games, I have
relatively
no interest in the zombie horror culture/sub-genre. But I'll get to that in a second.

A good friend of mine who games on PlayStation recently bought a Ps4, but the thing about this guy is, he straight up does not play single player, ever. I caught him on PsN playing Valkyria Chronicles one time and messaged him saying "Hey dude, you know there's no multiplayer in that game right?" to which he responds "I know. Hence, why I'm never going to play it ever again." So yeah, he plays games only for the multiplayer and does not give an once of caring to single player.

...and the Last of Us is his favorite game. He fucking loves it. That speaks huge volumes of this games multiplayer, considering he hasn't touched the campaign. But anyways, he's played it mostly on Ps3 and since I've been bugging and persuading him to jump to new-gen, he did the gamestop deal and got himself the Ps4-tlour bundle. We made a deal that if he got a Ps4, I would have to get tlour - but that's once I get a job and stuff, but I'm currently still unemployed, unfortunately. However, him being the genuine guy that he is, bought and shipped me a copy of tlour.

I started up the campaign, I was playing through it while my mother was watching. She said she almost began crying
and I'll admit I almost did too
but I think she actually did, because she started snuffling a little after the intro. Now I have to say, while I have tremendous respect for ND on this accomplishment of a game, I'm not really having much interest in playing through it because essentially it is a zombie stealth game, and I'm not really interested in either of those genres. I also know how great the campaign is, but I'd really rather just hand the controller to someone and watch them play it. However IF there was a coop mode in the remastered version that would've been delightful too, but it is only single player offline.

Now some you will probably be befuddled considering my activity in the Walking Dead thread - the thing is, what got me into that series was, first of all, just watching the season 4 premier with another good friend of mine, and getting hooked onto the characters. The characters are why I watch the show, I really do not like zombies at all.

I want to continue playing through the campaign but I'm quickly losing interest...I figure it'll definitely help for playing the multiplayer though.
You're talking about how the characters are the most important thing to a story, not the setting, but then you're saying you aren't interested in a game featuring probably the most realized video game characters in the history of video games, and you're turned off because of the setting.

You sound like you want to be talked into liking something you will never like. Just stop.

I mean, they work great when you're up to par with the difficulty they bring :p. I think it's good to keep in mind that some of your complaints are entirely reliant on your own choices and ability lol.
my ability doesn't go great with scary games like this :\ just kinda the person I am. but I'm not giving up survivor yet, I'm gonna keep going till it feels absolutely impossible.

re: Horror. Weirdly, I didn't have that much trouble with this game, but most horror movies make me hit pause at least a few times.

edit: I was definitely tense throughout . . . but not scared.
like I said, I don't think the average person was phased by the tone of the game (in terms of how it is supposed to intimidate) but I am not the average person when it comes to the horror genre. that's why it's just not my cup of tea. but it was gifted to me (even though just for the multiplayer) so it deserves to be played through.

I was playing the multiplayer earlier with a buddy of mine that is new to it. We were trying out Survivors (one life per round, best of 7 rounds) when everyone on our team but us quit after we lost the first round. It felt pretty great when we made a comeback and won the match despite being outnumbered 2 to 1.

For what it's worth, that part of the game is one of the hardest 'stealth' segments, so congrats on beating it! :)
Huh, really? It didn't seem too bad to me, it's just knowing when exactly to sneak around and what not. The art gallery section already seems harder since there's so many guards all around the fucking place.

For groups of Runners, you might want to try throwing a brick or a bottle at them (using just R2 and not L2 + R2), grabbing them with triangle, killing them with square, and then running away and repeating. Takes a bit of practice but I think it's worth it.
yeah, the triangle --> square is what I've been trying to do most of the time with the runner and human enemies. but sometimes you have to push the analog stick very slowly and sometimes you can crouch move normally. and with listen mode disabled in survivor it's hard to tell when to move around because you don't know if there'll be someone behind you.

In terms of difficulty, the hardest parts of Left Behind are fairly similar to the hardest parts of the main game.
gotcha. I may not play through that in survivor as well, but I've already heard some things about its story.
This a game for everyone should play it on PS4....
the game is definitely not for everyone. i'm an example of that. however, what you're saying is a reality because everybody purchasing a Ps4 will get the game =]
You're talking about how the characters are the most important thing to a story, not the setting, but then you're saying you aren't interested in a game featuring probably the most realized video game characters in the history of video games, and you're turned off because of the setting.

You sound like you want to be talked into liking something you will never like. Just stop.
Stop what? having my own taste in genres/games and opinions on products? I already explained how and why I have the game, and I'm expecting that you read it since you quoted my whole post. I was never looking to be persuaded into buying this game.

As someone who's not into the horror genre at all let alone the zombie horror sub-genre, I'm not enjoying playing this game. Now, I'm not saying that it isn't captivating me for this reason, as I do have some self-incentive to continue pushing forward in this difficulty and seeing how the story pans out, but because the game is what it is, this is something I'd rather hand off the control to and watch someone else play most of the time. It's simply not my type of game but I'll continue playing it anyway to get the most out of it for myself. And, I want that gold trophy.

I like story driven games, but I don't like zombie games. tlou is both. anybody disputing that honestly I feel like is kidding themselves. and yes, because the setting is a zombie apocalypse, it takes away my interest but that doesn't mean I think it is bad. Just because I'm not into something doesn't mean I'm going to think it's not good/overrated or anything like that.

Amazing game but the PS3 version is still too fresh. So i stopped playing the remastered version pretty quickly.. I still remember everything.
But sure. Amazing game.

So a couple of examples:

at the ranch

So what game would you say, does this stuff better?

You seem more frustrated that it is a game and has to do game things then its actual quality.

Huh, really? It didn't seem too bad to me, it's just knowing when exactly to sneak around and what not. The art gallery section already seems harder since there's so many guards all around the fucking place.

I guess I should be more clear.

By hardest, I meant that, unlike most situations, you can't really punch and shoot your way out once you get discovered, especially on Survivor. Maybe I'm just bad though...

ghibli99

...because essentially it is a zombie stealth game, and I'm not really interested in either of those genres.
This is a bad assumption about what TLOU is, and it's one that I made myself before really getting into it. By the time I was done, I played through it again and then two more times for all of the SP trophies. One of my all-time favorites and I'm not a fan of zombies and stealth either.

alright, with some youtube guidance i got out of the capitol building and the subway after that. what i've noticed, is if you're on low health but complete a section and move onto a new one, your health will automatically replenish. with this in mind i think i should be using health kits sparingly. also as a general question, is the AI in the Ps4 version more advanced than in the Ps3 version? Or was the res/textures/fps all that was enhanced?

The playthrough I'm following is a Ps3 version, so.

I guess I should be more clear.

By hardest, I meant that, unlike most situations, you can't really punch and shoot your way out once you get discovered, especially on Survivor. Maybe I'm just bad though...
Na, I'm sure you're good. Better than me anyway, it is my first time. But if I'm trying to play stealthy and I'm spotted, unless I can successfully make myself lost by the enemies, I'll restart the checkpoint.

This is a bad assumption about what TLOU is, and it's one that I made myself before really getting into it.
it is not an incorrect assumption though. I've played the game for a few hours and I stand by my original presumptions of it. A way better way to describe it that also does more justice is action-adventure survival-horror, and 3rd person of course.
By the time I was done, I played through it again and then two more times for all of the SP trophies. One of my all-time favorites and I'm not a fan of zombies and stealth either.
Uc2 is one of my favorite games of all time, but I already know that this is a top notch quality game but I also know it can't be among my favorites. But I'm very happy that ND achieved what it did with this masterpiece, and most people who were interested, probably fell in love with it. It may've gone even beyond their own expectations.

SomTervo

alright, with some youtube guidance i got out of the capitol building and the subway after that. what i've noticed, is if you're on low health but complete a section and move onto a new one, your health will automatically replenish. with this in mind i think i should be using health kits sparingly. also as a general question, is the AI in the Ps4 version more advanced than in the Ps3 version? Or was the res/textures/fps all that was enhanced?

Only graphics really. They had to build it from the ground up - which means re-coding every element of physics, AI, lighting, etc. Most of it is an improvement over the original, but I think there are a few glitches occasionally due to the recoding. The AI occasionally has a fritz. But this is very rare. For the most part it's the same as the PS3 version.

Na, I'm sure you're good. Better than me anyway, it is my first time. But if I'm trying to play stealthy and I'm spotted, unless I can successfully make myself lost by the enemies, I'll restart the checkpoint.

This is just so foolish.

You've stated you don't like stealth games. And you've stated you want to see how the story pans out. Yet you're arbitrarily choosing to do the game on a difficulty which forces stealth and breaks the story's pacing (unless you're already very experienced).

This is one of the most frustrating threads I've ever read!

If you prefer action over stealth then put it on Hard or Normal. The game is just as good. It's not the way it was 'supposed' to be experienced. I appreciate that you want to get the trophies in a oner, too - but you own this game. It's not going anywhere. After you finish it on Normal or Hard you'll probably feel more compelled to play it on Survivor or Grounded, then you'll get your trophies. If you play it on Survivor first time, you might be put off playing it again altogether (which it sounds like is happening right now).

As someone who's not into the horror genre at all let alone the zombie horror sub-genre, I'm not enjoying playing this game. Now, I'm not saying that it isn't captivating me for this reason, as I do have some self-incentive to continue pushing forward in this difficulty and seeing how the story pans out, but because the game is what it is, this is something I'd rather hand off the control to and watch someone else play most of the time. It's simply not my type of game but I'll continue playing it anyway to get the most out of it for myself. And, I want that gold trophy.

I like story driven games, but I don't like zombie games. tlou is both. anybody disputing that honestly I feel like is kidding themselves. and yes, because the setting is a zombie apocalypse, it takes away my interest but that doesn't mean I think it is bad. Just because I'm not into something doesn't mean I'm going to think it's not good/overrated or anything like that.

Yes, to each his own in taste, absolutely. That's totally valid.

But TLoU is not just a 'zombie game'.

The majority of the game is people. Zombies are actually in it for probably 25% of the experience, maybe less. Their encounters are short. It's a very long game. If you said you don't like apocalyptic/dystopian stories, then fair enough. But this 'zombie' argument barely flies. This reductive argument is like calling Interstellar an 'action movie' - when yes, it has action scenes, but it's not some b-movie action schlock.

How far deep are you now, anyway?

chiliboy

well, I guess the game can't cater to everyone. It's a brilliant game though, easily one of top 5 ever in my book along with OG Half-Life

Top Bottom