• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lttp: Xbox One

Last week I got a Xbone, I've had a ps4 since launch and so far I'm impressed. The things I love about the system so far are:

-the UI is beautiful. I heard before the UI was complicated and would be difficult to use without kinect. I found the opposite to be true. There's still much they could do with the UI and while the ps4 UI may be simpler, the Xbox UI is more attractive.

-it's whisper quiet, never hear it when it's on

-more apps, since I'm using the machine more for exclusives i might as well take advantage of the more developed media center

-last but not least Suspend/Resume. S/R is something so great u have to experience to understand its usefulness. Sometimes I can only play for 30 minutes. With S/R that's not a problem. Hell, now when my gf interrupts me I just turn the system off, knowing I'm a be right where I left it.

Now there's some thing I dislike, like the install times are damn near on ps3 levels. That and why did they use the ps3 method of have a separate step between downloading and installing? That was stupid. Also the new controller is worse than the 360 controller IMO & isn't as good as the DS4.

However Suspend/Resume has me thinking of using the console for more than exclusives, but we'll see. I'm playing Dead Rising 3 and I love it so far. The city, all the fucking zombies on screen at once. I'm having a ball. Looking to get Ryse next.

I came in not expecting much, but it's been completely worth it for me. U can add me if u wish, my GT is CaesarDrew, (started a new one) but I don't think I'm getting gold. Games with gold isn't where plus is yet and I don't play MP much.

I also hate the install time.

One protip I can give is to NEVER play a digital download before it is at 100% downloaded and installed

Of the 3 games I own digitally I have had to re-download 2 them to keep them from crashing/hanging.

Forza 5 kept crashing to dash on me. Re-downloaded, Cleared cache, Factory reset my X1.
Same issue until I let in totally download and install.

Ryse gives me an infinite installing screen after the first mission.
Likely because I got impatient and loaded up at 87%
Currently redownloading...

PvZ, is okay as I let it install completely before touching it.

Disc Titanfall seems fine, I'm not sure if I let it install completely before playing. I'm pretty sure I did though.

Feel free to add me everyone

GT - tokyostomp

Had a PS4 and got rid of it to get an Xbox One. Not trying to start a system wars. both systems are great. Having more fun with the Xbox one just because i'm enjoying the games currently available. I'm certainly having gfx envy. No Man's Sky, Uncharted 4, TLoU Remix, and whatever David Cage is going to release is why I want Sony's system in 2015-2016.

That said, Xbox One is a really good system.

The controller grows on you. I didn't like it at first but now I feel it's clearly superior to the 360 pad whenever I have to switch between the two.

Install times just suck though, I've gone all digital now so I leave things downloading overnight but installing the games off a disc at launch was a nightmare.

npa189

LTTP as of Friday for me. Forza is fun, even if every car I want to drive is somehow DLC and Dead Rising 3 is a hoot. The UI did take a little getting used to, but it works well. Its nice that search will find everything, and find the streaming service to play it. I went with sans kinect and bought the media remote instead. Build quality is impressive, but the console is damn big and has an external PSU, but it is silent. I'm still waiting for the OG 360 fan noise when I turn it on. This is a pure exclusive box for me, but it is a nice console. I'm glad that the people who care about video games won out and are running Xbox now.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
I got mine just a few hours ago!

I'm trying to find online stores that sell the digital codes for X1 games cheaper than the xbox store. No luck :(

Only found Forza 5 and Titanfall for DL at a cheaper price. Bought Forza and already have Titanfall on PC

I definitely feel the xbone gives me a more premium experience in every aspect except games.

Unboxing the system even felt better. Pity the system is underpowered.

rav

Load times were atrocious for DR3 and Forza5.
I haven't powered it on in a while, but I haven't had very much time to play games lately.

Welcome to the club!
hopefully MS joins the club soon.

aries_71

The controller grows on you. I didn't like it at first but now I feel it's clearly superior to the 360 pad whenever I have to switch between the two.

This. I hated the new controller the first couple of days. After that, it grew on me, and now I consider it superior to the 360 pad.

Alchemy

• The system, Kinect, and power brick are fucking huuuuuuge.
  • All the games being sub 1080p is super obvious and pretty disappointing.
  • Controller battery life is great, but fuck having to buy a play and charge kit separately.
  • OS is fine, but feels slower in many places compared to the 360.
  • Decent library of pseudo console/timed exclusives.
  • Looking forward to Sunset Overdrive.

Gorillaz

Fresh Console LTTP are kind of weird because for the most part the "party" (library) itself hasn't exactly built up yet, but it's whatever.

The system is a bit more quiet tho, I do like that.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I bought one for cheap back in April and am pretty lukewarm to it. Hoping the UI and library get to a good point soon.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
However Suspend/Resume has me thinking of using the console for more than exclusives, but we'll see.

Hmm...

like the install times are damn near on ps3 levels.

You already mentioned that time was a problem for you. Despite having a 47gb install, I was able to play wolfenstein very quickly on ps4. I'm not saying don't use the system for multiplats, but since time seems to be an issue, it would be weird to put up with those installs more often than you need to.

I'm glad that the people who care about video games won out and are running Xbox now.

bing-revisited-still-toast-but-slightly-less-burnt.jpg

Seriously though, can we get a gif of Phil Spencer kicking Mehdi out the door?

I also hate the install time.

One protip I can give is to NEVER play a digital download before it is at 100% downloaded and installed

Of the 3 games I own digitally I have had to re-download 2 them to keep them from crashing/hanging.

Forza 5 kept crashing to dash on me. Re-downloaded, Cleared cache, Factory reset my X1.
Same issue until I let in totally download and install.

Ryse gives me an infinite installing screen after the first mission.
Likely because I got impatient and loaded up at 87%
Currently redownloading...

PvZ, is okay as I let it install completely before touching it.

Disc Titanfall seems fine, I'm not sure if I let it install completely before playing. I'm pretty sure I did though.

Feel free to add me everyone

GT - tokyostomp

Thanks for the advice. I'm not a patient person so I'm sure I would've done that eventually

I definitely feel the xbone gives me a more premium experience in every aspect except games.

Unboxing the system even felt better. Pity the system is underpowered.

Had a PS4 and got rid of it to get an Xbox One. Not trying to start a system wars. both systems are great. Having more fun with the Xbox one just because i'm enjoying the games currently available. I'm certainly having gfx envy. No Man's Sky, Uncharted 4, TLoU Remix, and whatever David Cage is going to release is why I want Sony's system in 2015-2016.

That said, Xbox One is a really good system.

That's y I can't make it my main. Everything feels so premium on the system, it's a shame it doesn't have the horse to match..

Ferny

• Controller battery life is great, but fuck having to buy a play and charge kit separately.
  • OS is fine, but feels slower in many places compared to the 360.
I have both the X1 and Ps4 and it's really not super obvious. Most of my friends could hardly tell the difference in certain areas. I knew what games were technically better on PS4 before so I don't count myself in it, but even then it's really not super obvious.

I got mine about two weeks ago and I really like it, more so than I expected. There are pros and cons of course, but I was surprised by a fair amount of the console after using it for a while and really like it.

Alchemy

I have both the X1 and Ps4 and it's really not super obvious. Most of my friends could hardly tell the difference in certain areas. I knew what games were technically better on PS4 before so I don't count myself in it, but even then it's really not super obvious.

Sounds like you and all your friends need glasses. The difference in IQ is rather staggering. Even going from a 900p game like Ryse or Garden Warfare, it is very easy to tell the difference. It becomes even worse when you turn on something like Titanfall or Dead Rising 3. While they're fun games, they look jagged and far away details look bad or are completely missing.

I laughed out loud the first time I saw a fence in Titanfall.

lem0n

Traded a ps4 for my X1. Best decision. I cant hardly tell the difference between the graphics of the two, then again I never really gave a shit. Theres more fun to be had here than PS right now, especially from someone thats been with Xbox for almost a decade. stick to your roots, people

LTTP as of Friday for me. Forza is fun, even if every car I want to drive is somehow DLC and Dead Rising 3 is a hoot. The UI did take a little getting used to, but it works well. Its nice that search will find everything, and find the streaming service to play it. I went with sans kinect and bought the media remote instead. Build quality is impressive, but the console is damn big and has an external PSU, but it is silent. I'm still waiting for the OG 360 fan noise when I turn it on. This is a pure exclusive box for me, but it is a nice console. I'm glad that the people who care about video games won out and are running Xbox now.
Yeah the search result page for a piece of media is pretty great. Shows you all the ways you can view it on your console and of course will take you straight to it with whatever once you choose.
You already mentioned that time was a problem for you. Despite having a 47gb install, I was able to play wolfenstein very quickly on ps4. I'm not saying don't use the system for multiplats, but since time seems to be an issue, it would be weird to put up with those installs more often than you need to.
IIRC, I could play Wolfenstein at 10% on X1, so not that bad of a wait, had to DL a little less than 5GB.

Not quite sure if it's different for the disc version, it's 2014, I have no interest in using discs.

Although I guess you'd have to DL the patch with the disc, so it probably does take some time.

lem0n

Sounds like you and all your friends need glasses. The difference in IQ is rather staggering. Even going from a 900p game like Ryse or Garden Warfare, it is very easy to tell the difference. It becomes even worse when you turn on something like Titanfall or Dead Rising 3. While they're fun games, they look jagged and far away details look bad or are completely missing.

How did you ever get through the old days of gaming...

Traded a ps4 for my X1. Best decision. I cant hardly tell the difference between the graphics of the two, then again I never really gave a shit. Theres more fun to be had here than PS right now, especially from someone thats been with Xbox for almost a decade. stick to your roots, people
More fun with what? Haven't they both gotten the same games for a while now? Actually, hasn't the ps4 gotten more? Your post confuses me.

npa189

Titanfall isn't a graphical showcase on any platform. On PC it looks low-fi as fuck on any setting. That game is about latency and framerate. I have no experience with it on X1 and its no secret that a mid range PC can trounce the X1 and even the PS4, but these consoles have games the PC will never see.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN

Games? How many games did you compare? I'm assuming you bought copies of however many games you are referring to for both systems?

IIRC, I could play Wolfenstein at 10% on X1, so not that bad of a wait, had to DL a little less than 5GB.

I don't know how it is on the xbone, but I've heard people complain about the install times. All I know is that I popped the disc in my system, had a smoke and it was already ready by the time I came back.

Not quite sure if it's different for the disc version, it's 2014, I have no interest in using discs.

Yes. It is 2014. I bought the disc though. It was significantly cheaper. Better value for money. It is 2014, afterall.

lem0n

More fun with what? Haven't they both gotten the and games for a while now? Actually, hasn't the ps4 gotten more? Your post confuses me.
Whats so confusing?

I have Forza, Peggle 2, Titanfall and CoD. All my friends play with me. Im having more fun on XB1 than I ever did on PS4. Thats all I was getting at.

BSherrod

I got mine just a few hours ago!

I'm trying to find online stores that sell the digital codes for X1 games cheaper than the xbox store. No luck :(

Only found Forza 5 and Titanfall for DL at a cheaper price. Bought Forza and already have Titanfall on PC
This is something I'm looking for because I'm picking up a One in the next few days, any help with this?

More fun with what? Haven't they both gotten the and games for a while now? Actually, hasn't the ps4 gotten more? Your post confuses me.

Out of curiosity I looked up each services games online. At least for the US, looks like there is 70 games for the PS4 and 59 for the X1.

Plenty of titles for each in 8 month no doubt, but it's about what titles that are important to people.
There aren't a whole lot of exclusives.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
You're not lttp.. If anything you're an early adopter.

I've had both since launch, dislike the UI, Controler (not bad but step back from 360), ridiculous install times, horsepower, size of box+power brick, look of box, and it seems like everytime I go to use it, "it's time to update".

All that said, love Kinect navigation for apps and my volume on my surround sound.

Also, really looking forward to the MC collection, Gears, Halo 5, Crackdown 3 and possibly Sunset Overdrive.

Get Ryse. Underrated and it looks like Crytek needs the money. Amazing looking game.

[*]OS is fine, but feels slower in many places compared to the 360.

lolwut? I think you're misremembering. The xbone can be a little slow at times but the 360 was/is a lot slower and more sluggish in every way and got worse with every dashboard update.

I see I'm not the only one that started up a new gamertag for the Xbox One lol. I don't know why I did it, but I just did. It didn't feel right having that separation I wish I did it before I beat Ryse, though, as I don't have Ryse completed on my new gamertag, but I'll take care of that all in good time.

Yep, suspend and resume is incredible. I already plan to get a lot of my games on the xbox one simply because I enjoy the overall experience so much, but the suspend and resume feature is something that you do indeed want access to for every game that you own, so that's definitely a major plus for the system so far. Yea, the UI is really nice. There's a few more things that need to be ironed out, such as fixing the messaging system to make it look more like a SMS convo on a smartphone, but they make a lot of improvements pretty fast, so all in good time.

I'll also invite you to the beta OS preview program if you want, so let me, or anyone else in the preview for that matter, know if you're interested.

arhra

I don't know how it is on the xbone, but I've heard people complain about the install times. All I know is that I popped the disc in my system, had a smoke and it was already ready by the time I came back.

The launch games had absolutely terrible install times. Ryse in particular was just awful (and a fucking cocktease as well - it becomes "playable" fairly early on... but all you can load up is the front-end menu for nearly the entirety of the install, which took goddamn forever to finish).

More recent games haven't been nearly as bad, though. Wolfenstein was playable within a couple of minutes as far as I can recall, and let me jump straight into the first level while it installed the rest. Even Watch Dogs (which as an open-world game with a relatively brief enclosed opening area is nearly a worst-case scenario for the streaming install design) was pretty quick. So I'm tempted to chalk the install times on the launch games to crappy SDKs, and devs not having a good handle on how to deal with the streaming install tech.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
The launch games had absolutely terrible install times. Ryse in particular was just awful (and a fucking cocktease as well - it becomes "playable" fairly early on... but all you can load up is the front-end menu for nearly the entirety of the install, which took goddamn forever to finish).

More recent games haven't been nearly as bad, though. Wolfenstein was playable within a couple of minutes as far as I can recall, and let me jump straight into the first level while it installed the rest. Even Watch Dogs (which as an open-world game with a relatively brief enclosed opening area is nearly a worst-case scenario for the streaming install design) was pretty quick. So I'm tempted to chalk the install times on the launch games to crappy SDKs, and devs not having a good handle on how to deal with the streaming install tech.

I see. Thanks for the detailed explanation.

TrueGrime

I see I'm not the only one that started up a new gamertag for the Xbox One lol. I don't know why I did it, but I just did. It didn't feel right having that separation I wish I did it before I beat Ryse, though, as I don't have Ryse completed on my new gamertag, but I'll take care of that all in good time.

I tried multiple times to get a new GT but there's something about seeing that 10 in the number of years I've been using XBL that always gets me coming back. Hell, I was even skeptical about changing my GT when it was required to join some of the clans I'd been with.

Yep, suspend and resume is incredible. I already plan to get a lot of my games on the xbox one simply because I enjoy the overall experience so much, but the suspend and resume feature is something that you do indeed want access to for every game that you own, so that's definitely a major plus for the system so far. Yea, the UI is really nice. There's a few more things that need to be ironed out, such as fixing the messaging system to make it look more like a SMS convo on a smartphone, but they make a lot of improvements pretty fast, so all in good time.

I'll also invite you to the beta OS preview program if you want, so let me, or anyone else in the preview for that matter, know if you're interested.

Is your Gaf name the same as your new GT? I'll add you and I'd very much appreciate a beta OS Invite. Thanks in advance

Yea, the full install may take its time, but the games are pretty much playable fairly quickly nowadays. Plus, while games are installing I pretty much switch away to watch TV on my system in the meantime. :)

Is your Gaf name the same as your new GT? I'll add you and I'd very much appreciate a beta OS Invite. Thanks in advance

RealSenjuSage is my new GT for the Xbox One, and I'm about to invite you now. oops double post!

edit: Your beta invite has been sent. It can take maybe a week or more sometimes for you to see anything, but people have a pretty high success rate of getting into the beta so far from the appearance of things, so just be on the lookout, and you should hopefully see something in time.

Gamerscore way to high to start a new tag.

Only thing I'll really miss on my original gamertag is the intense pride I have from beating Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey. :) Not like it's a huge accomplishment or anything, but I just love those two games so much.

RealSenjuSage is my new GT for the Xbox One, and I'm about to invite you now. oops double post!

edit: Your beta invite has been sent. It can take maybe a week or more sometimes for you to see anything, but people have a pretty high success rate of getting into the beta so far from the appearance of things, so just be on the lookout, and you should hopefully see something in time.

Only thing I'll really miss on my original gamertag is the intense pride I have from beating Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey. :) Not like it's a huge accomplishment or anything, but I just love those two games so much.

Shoot me a Invite to Beta Dash

GT - tokyostomp

Top Bottom