• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lttp: Xbox One

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I collected a bunch of achievements on the NFL and YouTube apps. Do all the apps have achievements? I may fire up the Vudu one next and stream a movie.

Got mine last night. I'm surprised how much I dislike the controller. 360's pad was the king for nearly a decade, but I feel the Xbones pad is like 1 step forward, 3 steps backwards. The thumbsticks are great, I love em, but the bumpers are crap (cant easily slide my finger up from the triggers, gotta basically lift and press seperately, don't like), the dpad is annoying (its stiff and makes loud clicks when used), and the whole controller feels like cheap hollow plastic in my hands (albeit looking high quality to the eye).

Hell, when I shake my controller, the bumpers rattle in place. At first I thought there was something loose inside, that I was gonna try to turn it on and it wouldn't work, but nope, its just shoddy build quality. Buttons should be snug, and most of them are, but not the bumpers.

I collected a bunch of achievements on the NFL and YouTube apps. Do all the apps have achievements? I may fire up the Vudu one next and stream a movie.

I think most of them do. Naturally, there's no Gamerscore.

Got mine last night. I'm surprised how much I dislike the controller. 360's pad was the king for nearly a decade, but I feel the Xbones pad is like 1 step forward, 3 steps backwards. The thumbsticks are great, I love em, but the bumpers are crap (cant easily slide my finger up from the triggers, gotta basically lift and press seperately, don't like), the dpad is annoying (its stiff and makes loud clicks when used), and the whole controller feels like cheap hollow plastic in my hands (albeit looking high quality to the eye).

Hell, when I shake my controller, the bumpers rattle in place. At first I thought there was something loose inside, that I was gonna try to turn it on and it wouldn't work, but nope, its just shoddy build quality. Buttons should be snug, and most of them are, but not the bumpers.

Pro tip: you can't hold it the same way you do the 360 controller. You need to hold it such that your first knuckles are on the outside edges of the bumpers, and the rest of your finger is lying on the triggers. If you try and switch back and forth from triggers to bumpers it's a pain in the ass, yeah.

And I don't have any idea how you could prefer the 360 dpad :p

So I started my Xbox One up for the first time today. I scored it at the Ama.de Xbox One sale earlier last week.

After I have been through the more or less hick-up free first time setup. A lot of things made throwing the Xbox out of the window almost.

- I have the hard drive noise issue too (it's a Kinect-less Xbox)
- I cannot have a system language different from the region I live in (or in other words: the system language determines the possible regions).
- I want all my boxes in English language so I had to choose UK as the closest country (I'm in Denmark).
- I wanted to download a demo (FIFA 15) as I don't have a game as of yet. I am forced to put in a valid credit card to be able to download a free demo. :(
- I want to put my credit card info in, only to figure that of course I have to have a UK address now (because of the region setting)
- Already close to the point of despair, I switch the language to Danish (which I hate) to be able to have Denmark as a region. The box had to be restarted.
- After restart, the connection settings were gone and I had to set this stuff up again.
- Now I could put in the credit card and download the demo
- I also want the 30 free days of Xbox Live Gold now that I had been offered during first time setup but skipped, because I didn't want to put in my credit card at this point.
- Not to mention that I have a hard time finding the subscription settings or the settings menu itself for that matter
- I can buy Gold now, but the 30 day offer is gone apparently. lol
- I just wait until the demo has downloaded so I can try a game at least and then I am looking forward to getting home to my PS4 to play Destiny on a hassle free UI THAT IS NOT IN DANISH. lol

Sorry for the rant. Had a very bad user experience.

sora87

My friend almost talked me into buying one the other day, I was gonna pre-order the white version with Sunset, but I looked at what I'd play after that and I just can't justify it. The only games I'm interested in our multiplatform, and will probably perform better on my PS4.

So I started my Xbox One up for the first time today. I scored it at the Ama.de Xbox One sale earlier last week.

After I have been through the more or less hick-up free first time setup. A lot of things made throwing the Xbox out of the window almost.

- I cannot have a system language different from the region I live in (or in other words: the system language determines the possible regions).
- I want all my boxes in English language so I had to choose UK as the closest country (I'm in Denmark).
- I wanted to download a demo (FIFA 15) as I don't have a game as of yet. I am forced to put in a valid credit card to be able to download a free demo. :(
- I want to put my credit card info in, only to figure that of course I have to have a UK address now (because of the region setting)
- Already close to the point of despair, I switch the language to Danish (which I hate) to be able to have Denmark as a region. The box had to be restarted.
- After restart, the connection settings were gone and I had to set this stuff up again.
- I also want the 30 free days of Xbox Live Gold now that I had been offered during first time setup but skipped, because I didn't want to put in my credit card at this point.
- Not to mention that I have a hard time finding the subscription settings or the settings menu itself for that matter
- I just wait until the demo has downloaded so I can try a game at least and then I am looking forward to getting home to my PS4 to play Destiny on a hassle free UI THAT IS NOT IN DANISH. lol

You don't actually need a credit card, a PayPal account will do, and maybe even just some credit in your MS account (you can get prepaid cards for cheap at ******** - welp, I guess it's a banned website now - just mind your region), although I'm not sure about the latter. I live in Croatia, and I have a UK account. As always, it's good to check those things on the internet first.

AmyS

Remember the Samsung / Xbox 360 launch from the 2005 MTV Music Awards? I don't mean the MTV Xbox 360 reveal in May, but later that year at the awards around launch.

Sorry for the crap quality, of the screen caps and vid, it's all there was.

xZecdu8.jpg

uG7tmVr.jpg

3dFubEq.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAgSU0SmSbI

It was simple, and great IMO.

SimonM7

I can totally relate. Got increasingly frustrated this weekend with all the little insults piling up, and even did an article for DarkZero on it: http://darkzero.co.uk/game-articles...ountries-thanks-for-waiting-heres-less-stuff/

The Kinect stuff I've already gone through twice with the 360 Kinect release and the Windows Phone voice stuff, so I should have been prepared for it. The missing content - especially the top tier of Killer Instinct, a flagship title - is mind boggling to me on every level, though.

I swapped my Xbox One for another unit on Monday, and now the noise is gone, but the other issues remain. I'm gonna try to coax word out of Microsoft on when - if ever - we'll see the missing content. But I dunno. I won't be holding my breath, frankly.

And yet I'm kinda excited overall. :> Killer Instinct is great, getting the microtransaction-palooza Forza 5 for free is tying me over just right until Forza Horizon 2 comes out. And hey, maybe Sunset Overdrive is as fantastic as it looks! I can probably learn to live with just yelling "xbox on!" and "xbox off!" when I press the power button.

My first replacement makes a weird ticking noise at all times, so I had it replaced. I've still yet to swap them, though.

I have really bad OCD, especially when it comes to consoles, and worry about them constantly. So, when I heard that sound -- which didn't seem right -- it bothered me to no end and I had to call for a replacement just a couple of days after getting it. I couldn't really enjoy gaming.

They said it's likely a hard drive tick.

Question, since I'm crazy and my OCD is annoying me. If I don't ask, I'll obsess over it.

This may sound silly. Actually, it likely will. However, when the courier dropped my system off last night, he left it on our doorstep. There, it sat for upwards of 2-2.5 hours, in fall weather that averaged about 11 degrees celcius (51.8 degrees fahrenheit).

I brought it in to room temperature after that.

That temperature wouldn't have caused any damage to a boxed and thick bubble wrapped Xbox One, right?

nib95

Banned
My first replacement makes a weird ticking noise at all times, so I had it replaced. I've still yet to swap them, though.

I have really bad OCD, especially when it comes to consoles, and worry about them constantly. So, when I heard that sound -- which didn't seem right -- it bothered me to no end and I had to call for a replacement just a couple of days after getting it. I couldn't really enjoy gaming.

They said it's likely a hard drive tick.

Question, since I'm crazy and my OCD is annoying me. If I don't ask, I'll obsess over it.

This may sound silly. Actually, it likely will. However, when the courier dropped my system off last night, he left it on our doorstep. There, it sat for upwards of 2-2.5 hours, in fall weather that averaged about 11 degrees celcius (51.8 degrees fahrenheit).

I brought it in to room temperature after that.

That temperature wouldn't have caused any damage to a boxed and thick bubble wrapped Xbox One, right?

Should be absolutely fine. It's not cold enough to freeze or cause any condensation or anything like that, and it's better that it was kept cool than hot.

What she best way to mitigate the black crush and weird rgb issues? I'm using a benq 120hz monitor and everything is so damn dark on Xbox one with it connected.

Raide

What she best way to mitigate the black crush and weird rgb issues? I'm using a benq 120hz monitor and everything is so damn dark on Xbox one with it connected.

Have you tried altering the system setting from the PC setting to TV setting. I think they put Limited and Full in brackets.

sunnz

Got it today and been messing about a little.

The UI is nice and I do like the system.
Design wise it isn't as bad as I thought but it still quite big.
Controller feels nice and looks nicer BUT GOD DAMN THE RB/RB buttons suck, they are so stiff and uncomfortable to use.

The UI looks better than the ps4's one but isn't as simple and straight forward, which I do prefer over style.

Love the resume play, really great feature!
Overall, just like the ps4, great system but needs more games ( I got it for FH2, didn't randomly buy it)

Krilekk

Banned
Remember the Samsung / Xbox 360 launch from the 2005 MTV Music Awards? I don't mean the MTV Xbox 360 reveal in May, but later that year at the awards around launch.

Sorry for the crap quality, of the screen caps and vid, it's all there was.

xZecdu8.jpg

uG7tmVr.jpg

3dFubEq.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAgSU0SmSbI

It was simple, and great IMO.

Wonder if we will see the same sub resolution generation as last gen when titles barely reached full 720p. Oh who am I kidding, of course it will be the same. Most of the magical performance boosts on consoles happen by reducing output resolution and FOV. I suppose three years from now sub 1080p will be the norm on both platforms.

DagsJT

Maybe the honeymoon period but turned on my PS4 earlier and it just felt like a backwards step.

First of all it said I had a message, so I went to the message itself and read it. Exited out of the message app and it still said I hadn't read it as the loading circle was still spinning :/

Then tried loading my friends list to see what people are up to and it just felt so slow to load.

Next I loaded DriveClub to see how it felt after playing Forza 5 ... and couldn't get online. Started a race, hated the AI, turned the console off.

The problem I've got is that all of my games on the PS4 are digital so I can't even sell some to get on the Xbox One. Even the DualShock 4 felt a bit ... flimsy compared to the Xbox One controller.

As I say, it may be the honeymoon period and the "shiny, shiny" effect. I was all set to just use the Xbox One for exclusives and get multi-plat games on the PS4 but I'm expecting to change my mind.

//ARCANUM

Hey all, I'm getting close to 45 days with my Xbox one. It works great but I'm worried about the console's longevity. I don't know why, just worried. Never had any trouble with consoles dying on me though. I'm considering the Microsoft Complete 3 year warranty for it. Anyone have it? Thoughts on getting it?

acksman

My Kinect went out early, but had no problems from Microsoft replacing it. In fact I was pretty impressed with their customer service. They even called me back to make sure I had received it and it was working. You should be fine.

//ARCANUM

My Kinect went out early, but had no problems from Microsoft replacing it. In fact I was pretty impressed with their customer service. They even called me back to make sure I had received it and it was working. You should be fine.

I guess my concern is something happening in a year from now. :/

Tegernako

Banned
Also the new controller is worse than the 360 controller IMO & isn't as good as the DS4.
Glad to see you are enjoying it!

I'm curious about this because the consensus from most competitive players and most people I know personally is that the XB1 controller is far superior to the DS4.

Is it the size?

Think my Kinect is going out, shuts off randomly. Guess I need to call MS

Bgamer90

Banned
Controller feels nice and looks nicer BUT GOD DAMN THE RB/RB buttons suck, they are so stiff and uncomfortable to use.

Are you using your fingertips to press them? Don't (if you are).

Just wrap your fingers around those buttons; Easier to press that way.

FordGTGuy

Banned
i dont like how far away the dpad is from the analog stick on x1 controller, i have to stretch to use it. the actual dpad itself is better but the placement is worse

I really need to see a picture of how you're holding the controller to picture the idea of stretching to reach the d-pad...

I really need to see a picture of how you're holding the controller to picture the idea of stretching to reach the d-pad...

haha i know how fucked up it sounds but i just have to reach more for that down dpad button than i had to on x360 because the buttons are smaller and its placed further away which is really throwing me off. also the buttons are a lot stiffer and i have to put more effort in to push them.

MrBenchmark

Hey all, I'm getting close to 45 days with my Xbox one. It works great but I'm worried about the console's longevity. I don't know why, just worried. Never had any trouble with consoles dying on me though. I'm considering the Microsoft Complete 3 year warranty for it. Anyone have it? Thoughts on getting it?
I bought the extended plan of both of my Xbox ones and my ps4 just because of my distrust in slot load drives.

Aeqvitas

You are doing it wrong if you are lifting your finger. The best thing about the XB1 controller is how you can easily hit the bumper without taking your finger off the trigger. Its kind of like you roll your finger up towards it to hit it easily.

And most people after using it for a month or so, when they pick up the 360 pad again, agree that it is actually better in every way, it just doesn't feel like it immediately. But the triggers, shape, everything, it is just so form fitting and comfortable. I can't even play on my 360 anymore because it just feels wrong holding what I used to think was an unbeatable controller.

I'm not sure why you think it feels like cheap plastic, it feels much better to me than my time with a 360 or DS4. Some of the day one controllers felt a little "loose" when you shake it, but outside of dead rising I haven't really shaken my controller for a while. It seems no different to me than if i violently shake my 360 pad.

The Dpad is pretty good as far as Dpads go, not sure what you are comparing it to when you say it is bad. Lightyears better than the 360, and is more comparable to classic ninenndo style. Sure it is no genesis pad, but we will never see the likes of that again.

FeD.nL

I just got one as well. Really enjoy the console so far, suspend/resume function is amazing and the controller feels great.

I do have some small issues like not being able to set the system language to English (since i'm located in the Netherlands) which is annoying in FIFA since it defaults to the horrible dutch commentary.

Also I don't have a CC and was glad to see the option to add paypal to my account only to to be asked for a CC again -.-', guess it's back to buying game cards, biggest issue so far for me.

Overall just a really solid machine, makes practically no sound and the controller is really great. Very satisfied so far.

Top Bottom