• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lttp: Xbox One

Actually, just to at least pay some lip service to the topic of this thread - which I'm very much complicit in hijacking a bit... Has anyone found a decent use for the HDMI-in in lieu of a cable/digital box? I don't really *have* "TV" per se.

Sure! I'll grab my phone and do a dashboard audio sample in a bit.

Yeah, I've actually had some success routing my 360 through it. Input lag varies, but it's surprisingly manageable, and sometimes not even noticeable; I've made it all the way through Alan Wake and Deadpool without issue, though I wouldn't be eager to try it on anything requiring serious twitch reflexes.

Alx

Actually, just to at least pay some lip service to the topic of this thread - which I'm very much complicit in hijacking a bit... Has anyone found a decent use for the HDMI-in in lieu of a cable/digital box? I don't really *have* "TV" per se.

If I didn't have my TV box using the HDMI in, I think I would try to get a bluray player in there. It sounds absurd when the console itself can read bluray on its own, but the app can't be snapped as of now. It's great to have TV snapped next to a fitness game, or a grinding one, but I'd like to do the same with the movies I own on disc too.

I have an "android pc" hdmi dongle thing plugged into the bone in my bedroom.

It essentially turns the TV app into an "every app on android player"

For instance there is no sky go on the bone yet, but I can still watch sky go on it with the android app. Only thing is you have to use the suplied remote instead of the xb1 controller to navigate the android PC.

jem0208

For instance there is no sky go on the bone yet, but I can still watch sky go on it with the android app. Only thing is you have to use the suplied remote instead of the xb1 controller to navigate the android PC.
If you can get a phone app for you're android PC you could control the xbox with Smart glass then switch over to the other app. That would make things a bit easier.

That's what I do whenever I stream stuff via my PC. Plug it into the xbox and use my phone as a remote mouse pad.

Timmay

Banned
Installing Killer Instinct now. Still quiet. I can hear the HDD if I go up real close, but the intense, constant scratch/ticking noise that I had with my previous unit is not the case here at all.

I'm not about to cork open the champagne just yet, but this is already doing a lot better than I envisioned when I headed out to swap it this morning. Maybe - just maybe - I'm home free now after all. Wouldn't that be a barrel of.. magic apples.

If you didn't get the noise immediately upon completing the update, consider yourself home free.

SimonM7

So, here's the video I promised. Not exactly scientific (I don't even have a smartphone to do the decibel meter some people are doing), but it really is just about totally silent. I can maybe hear the fan when I press my ear right up to the vent.

Thanks for the video!

Timmay said:
If you didn't get the noise immediately upon completing the update, consider yourself home free.

It's definitely making some ever so slight, sporadic "ticking" noises in addition to the smooth wooshing of the fan right now for me, but it sounds like the hard drive and I am installing stuff. I'll have to wait until the installs are done to know for sure. It's nowhere close to how it sounded before, that's for sure.

If I didn't have my TV box using the HDMI in, I think I would try to get a bluray player in there. It sounds absurd when the console itself can read bluray on its own, but the app can't be snapped as of now. It's great to have TV snapped next to a fitness game, or a grinding one, but I'd like to do the same with the movies I own on disc too.

Oh - OHH. That's not a bad idea actually. I can't get netflix to work properly next to Killer Instinct, and I guess it's because... um... of REASONS. If I hook another source up to it, however, there would be nnnnooo limitttssss.

Timmay

Banned
Basically all the noise in that video was me knocking around the cabinet. I'll try and do a better quality one when I get back from classes, but allow me to assure you that it really is 99% silent.

I've heard what I believe to be a properly functioning Xbox One. It's nearly silent unless you put your ear to it. That stands in stark contrast to my Xbox Ones that I had to return, which were loud as hell at all times unless a game was being played and also compared to my PS4 which sounds like a small vacuum when a game is being played. The PS4 noise I can deal with because it's a consistent whooshing sound. The sound coming from defective Xbox Ones is just horrible.

ClearData

Guys. I have a question. I've got some stutter in the video feed for Live TV. I've read and tried every solution on the spry site.

Replaced the HDMI cord.

Switched out my Cable box.

Changed the resolution to 720p.

The stutter from my TV feed goes away, but then it returns after I turn the Xbox back on again with the instant on command.

Anyone encounter anything similar? Any solution?

That is a brilliant idea. I might do that too.

Guys. I have a question. I've got some stutter in the video feed for Live TV. I've read and tried every solution on the spry site.

Replaced the HDMI cord.

Switched out my Cable box.

Changed the resolution to 720p.

The stutter from my TV feed goes away, but then it returns after I turn the Xbox back on again with the instant on command.

Anyone encounter anything similar? Any solution?

It might seem like a dumb question, but I don't see it listed as something you tried. Did you try a hard reset (hold power button until console is off, unplug, replug, and power up again)?

ClearData

It might seem like a dumb question, but I don't see it listed as something you tried. Did you try a hard reset (hold power button until console is off, unplug, replug, and power up again)?

Sorry. I did try that. I forgot to list it. It fixed the problem. But only temporarily. I'm stumped.

Sorry. I did try that. I forgot to list it. It fixed the problem. But only temporarily. I'm stumped.

Does the stutter happen to just the video or everything in the feed (cable box menu, etc...)? It might be worth testing another HDMI device to see if you get the same issue. If so, maybe it's worth swapping out for a new console.

Skele7on

Banned
install times are pretty bad, but with preloading it really does kill that somewhat.

I really enjoy suspend and resume too I think it's a great feature.

I still love the controller, I would say it is on par with the DS4.

The apps are great but need that crunchyroll app fo sure!

I love both the consoles for different reasons I think there will be real reasons to have both come next year!

Welcome to the club mate.

I can grant access to the preview thing too so shoot me a PM with your GT.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Wait do you live in west london cause mine just came too?

Nah, I'm in the US, bought mine yesterday. (has a manufacture date of April)

Ok, so they finally stopped mowing the lawns in my housing complex. Ran some decibel tests using 2 different apps, and averaged the difference.

In all of these I was holding my phone and standing completely still/holding breath (all other electronics in the room are OFF, even the TV)

General Room Tone - 20-25

PS4 on Dash, no network cable, not logged in - 38-42

Xbox One on Dash, no network cable, not logged in - 65-70

Only thing left to check is how it sounds when running a retail game... but I'm still waiting on this 16gb DR3 update... 32% =/

ClearData

Does the stutter happen to just the video or everything in the feed (cable box menu, etc...)? It might be worth testing another HDMI device to see if you get the same issue. If so, maybe it's worth swapping out for a new console.

Just the video from the cable box from what I can see. I'm going to contact support and see if I can get my console swapped as you suggested.

NIN90

I don't see how? The Media Player Preview app doesn't show up in the "Snap an app" list and there's no Snap option when I press the.... uhhh "three lines" button.

Or is it exclusive to the OS beta?

Edit: Just to be clear here: I'm trying to watch videos off my USB drive. I just noticed it's possible to snap the Xbox Video app but as far as I can see there's no way to play videos off USB in there.

Only solution I could find so far is uploading the video files to OneDrive and then watch them via that app. Which seems kinda backwards.

chemicals

Really really want one.. But i have a vga only monitor.. Is there a decent hdmi-to-vga cable for it? So many unique games and exclusives.. Dead Rising 3, Ryse, HALO MCC, Sunset Overdrive, Titanfall, Quantum Break plus the multiplat stuff that is just amazing: Destiny, Wolfenstein, new Batman, new Assassins Creed, etc.

Indiedevs

Banned
Still nothing official from Microsoft regarding the noise issue? I don`t know if I should return my console and get my money back, or wait for an update that might solve this.

Timmay

Banned
Still nothing official from Microsoft regarding the noise issue? I don`t know if I should return my console and get my money back, or wait for an update that might solve this.

Microsoft has known about this issue since at least June (when I went through support hell) and haven't done a thing about it yet except sell thousands more units with the same problem in multiple regions. Don't hold your breath waiting for a fix. Get a refund and wait it out like I'm doing.

Indiedevs

Banned
Microsoft has known about this issue since at least June (when I went through support hell) and haven't done a thing about it yet except sell thousands more units with the same problem in multiple regions. Don't hold your breath waiting for a fix. Get a refund and wait it out like I'm doing.

It`s been four months since I bought my first Xbox One with this issue, and they still don`t care?

Timmay

Banned
It`s been four months since I bought my first Xbox One with this issue, and they still don`t care?

Support still doesnt know what to tell you when you call in, which tells me there's been no education of the support folks that there's a problem. I wouldnt be surprised if they took all the returned units and re-boxed them and sold 'em again.

Fredrik

Ok. I finally got my own xbox one.

Everyone who said that this thing is quiet is a fucking liar. Straight.

Maybe if it is in a entertainment centre, (as every XB1 ive used before has been) but on a table, I can hear the harddrive, and the power brick fan from across the room.

Id go as far to say that its louder than my PS3 slim.

Im kinda pissed off now because noise is a big thing for me.
That's odd, mine is definitely more silent than my PS3 slim, like a lot more silent, as I said earlier I actually thought the cooling system was broken at first since the fans didn't seem to go up in speed even when playing Ryse, I have to look at the X light to notice if it's starting up/powering off. It had the weirdest chirp-chirp-chirp sound right after the initial system update though but luckily it went away after a while. Hmm, or maybe that were just the final breaths from the fans which are now dead and my console will soon start melting o_O The brick gets very very hot... :/

Hubble

I am really confused about this Xbox One being noisy and I'm not going to read the thread for such nonsense. The console is incredibly quiet like super quiet.

I am really confused about this Xbox One being noisy and I'm not going to read the thread for such nonsense. The console is incredibly quiet like super quiet.

image.php

weeeeezy

Banned
BruiserBear mentioned elsewhere that it might have to do with the Kinect. When it's not connected the hard drive randomly turns on and off. I would link you to the post but I'm on mobile right now.

atomsk

Party Pooper
BruiserBear mentioned elsewhere that it might have to do with the Kinect. When it's not connected the hard drive randomly turns on and off. I would link you to the post but I'm on mobile right now.

Really seems like a power draw/coil whine issue. When I'm playing games the hard drive sounds like a normal hard drive should sound.

On the dashboard it sounds like I've gone back to my old 1GB drive from 1996 and is quite loud, certainly not a sound any hard drive today should make, but I can see why it would be mistaken for one.

On the plus side, the Xbox Support twitter took my info and didn't tell me to do anything, so maybe they're actually looking into the issue now.

overcast

So if I trade in my 360, and transfer my live profile (with like 10 XBLA games) I lose those games huh? Not playable for sure.

Makes it a much tougher decision.

Ape

Banned
So if I trade in my 360, and transfer my live profile (with like 10 XBLA games) I lose those games huh? Not playable for sure.

Makes it a much tougher decision.

The games will be recoverable if you ever get another 360. They aren't playable on the xbox 1.

Cheddahz

Banned
I'm sorry that I'm going to post my thoughts on the Xbox One on this thread, but I don't feel like we need another thread about this, so.....

I've been really enjoying my Xbox One. The games look good on it, the controller is super comfy, and all of the features on it are pretty neat as well (such as suspend/resume and snap)

I'm glad that I was able to get an Xbox One with as many games as I did get for it (and hell, I even ended up pre-ordering Destiny for it today), so for ten extra bucks, I ended up with what I was originally going to get with my PS4 and two new games as well (got the Madden bundle and ended up getting Diablo 3 as the free game to go with it)

I'm not going to tell you go out and buy one, that's your own decision to make, but with the holiday lineup for the Xbox One and the exclusives that should be coming out for it next year, I'm happy with my purchase and I don't regret it one bit

Timmay

Banned
So I have to buy a Kinect to have a quiet console?

Wut? This shit is so going back.

I've had the issue attempting to buy an XB1 since June (in the US). In the support forum thread at Xbox.com users in Japan, Norway, Sweden, Germany and South America are all reporting the same problem. The replacements they get exhibit the problem as well. This is too widespread of an issue for MS to keep ignoring or playing dumb about.

I've had the issue attempting to buy an XB1 since June (in the US). In the support forum thread at Xbox.com users in Japan, Norway, Sweden, Germany and South America are all reporting the same problem. The replacements they get exhibit the problem as well. This is too widespread of an issue for MS to keep ignoring or playing dumb about.

Wow.

Well, I dunno. Fact is I traded my 360 in for this for way more than its worth.

In the UK at least, you can get a Kinect for £25 quid.

But im still pissed off about it. Guess ill put tape on the thing or something.

Indiedevs

Banned
Maybe someone here should create a thread and make Microsoft aware of it? 550 posts about this on Xbox support forum did nothing.

Timmay

Banned
Wow.

Well, I dunno. Fact is I traded my 360 in for this for way more than its worth.

In the UK at least, you can get a Kinect for £25 quid.

But im still pissed off about it. Guess ill put tape on the thing or something.

Just to be clear, connecting a Kinect to the Xbox One having this problem doesn't make it go away.

Top Bottom