• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lttp: Xbox One

This has nothing to do with the Kinect being plugged in or not. The video I posted earlier is from long before Kinect was optional.

Mine is a Kinect version, and whether I have it plugged in or not, my system still makes the sound.

Neither the update nor the Kinect sensor are the root of the problem - these things are already established. Some say unplugging the sensor makes the sound intensify, but plugging it in doesn't solve the problem.

It's absolutely related. Mine ONLY makes that noise if the Kinect is unplugged. It may not be the only cause, but it's certainly related in many cases.

SimonM7

It's absolutely related. Mine ONLY makes that noise if the Kinect is unplugged. It may not be the only cause, but it's certainly related in many cases.

Related - sure, but it doesn't begin and end with the Kinect sensor. The root of the problem is something else.

The Kinect sensor and the update are "causes" cited so often that people, en masse, are asking MS to send them a free Kinect to fix the problem, and others holding out for another update to un-break what the last update supposedly broke. Those are band-aids at best.

The noise has been there regardless of Kinect sensors and updates since the Xbox One launched back in 2013. There are a variety of possible catalysts, but three configurations exist and there are silent ones of each. Unless the silent, Kinect-less Xbox is some kind of magical (hearing impaired?) unicorn, of course. Perhaps that's not to be ruled out. :)

Related - sure, but it doesn't begin and end with the Kinect sensor. The root of the problem is something else.

The Kinect sensor and the update are "causes" cited so often that people, en masse, are asking MS to send them a free Kinect to fix the problem, and others holding out for another update to un-break what the last update supposedly broke. Those are band-aids at best.

The noise has been there regardless of Kinect sensors and updates since the Xbox One launched back in 2013. There are a variety of possible catalysts, but three configurations exist and there are silent ones of each. Unless the silent, Kinect-less Xbox is some kind of magical (hearing impaired?) unicorn, of course. Perhaps that's not to be ruled out. :)

For starters, I believe even in that video linked on the previous page, the guy doesn't have the Kinect plugged in.

Second, I've learned over the years that many people have different ideas of what quiet or silent mean. So I'm sure many of the people saying they have a silent XB1 without the Kinect plugged in are just not the picky type to notice this sound it's making. It's the kind of noise only noticed in a silent room. If the air conditioning is on, you can't hear it. Fan on in the room? Can't hear it. Sound system or tv turned up, can't hear it. Wearing headphones while using your XB1? Can't hear it.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I downloaded all the Ultra Edition content for Killer Instinct Season 1. Is it wrong that I'm pumped to try a 20-year old game on my One?

SimonM7

For starters, I believe even in that video linked on the previous page, the guy doesn't have the Kinect plugged in.

Second, I've learned over the years that many people have different ideas of what quiet or silent mean. So I'm sure many of the people saying they have a silent XB1 without the Kinect plugged in are just not the picky type to notice this sound it's making. It's the kind of noise only noticed in a silent room. If the air conditioning is on, you can't hear it. Fan on in the room? Can't hear it. Sound system or tv turned up, can't hear it. Wearing headphones while using your XB1? Can't hear it.

Yeah, that worries me a bit. In fact, the volume of the "ticking" I'm hearing now that my system has.. I dunno.. settled or something? - I probably wouldn't have noticed out of the box. Now I just notice because it's a feint version of the horrible busted hard drive type noise that came out of it before. When I'm in a game, however, there's a whole other level of silent. It's truly silent in a game, and when I quit out, the ticking/clicking resumes.

It's because of that "benchmark" I know it's not supposed to sound like that. Oh and if I go to bed with it in standby, it sounds like a wee mouse is snacking on chees-its.

Yeah, that worries me a bit. In fact, the volume of the "ticking" I'm hearing now that my system has.. I dunno.. settled or something? - I probably wouldn't have noticed out of the box. Now I just notice because it's a feint version of the horrible busted hard drive type noise that came out of it before. When I'm in a game, however, there's a whole other level of silent. It's truly silent in a game, and when I quit out, the ticking/clicking resumes.

It's because of that "benchmark" I know it's not supposed to sound like that. Oh and if I go to bed with it in standby, it sounds like a wee mouse is snacking on chees-its.

Yes, so your console seems to fit the same profile of all the other consoles with this "problem". When the Kinect isn't plugged in, the console isn't drawing a certain amount of power, and the clicking happens. If a game is being played the power consumption goes up, and no sound is made.

iamjohn

So are you saying that you think it's normal for the system to do that?

SimonM7

Yes, so your console seems to fit the same profile of all the other consoles with this "problem". When the Kinect isn't plugged in, the console isn't drawing a certain amount of power, and the clicking happens. If a game is being played the power consumption goes up, and no sound is made.

Out of the box, with the Kinect plugged in, it sounded absolutely horrible for the first six hours or so. I was downloading games, sitting at the dashboard, and it sounded like it was reading furiously off an old, borked hard drive. It's only after another... Oh let's say 30 hours of being powered on, and maybe 10 of them playing Killer Instinct, that the sound subsided quite significantly. Now it's reduced to a ticking sound, like I described earlier - like seconds on a clock, but irregular.

If I unplug the Kinect, the sound intensifies for a second.. like it's a tiny robot I just pulled the leg off of. Then it settles down and just ticks again.

On the Xbox forum, somebody said that his went through a similar period of almost being completely silent, but then it reverted back to its noisy self.

iamjohn said:
So are you saying that you think it's normal for the system to do that?

I'm (naively?) trusting those that claim their system is "dead silent" to mean it's indistinguishable between in-game and the dashboard. I don't actually have a frame of reference, personally, because I've never encountered an Xbox One until I got mine - let alone one of these fabled silent ones.

iamjohn

Out of the box, with the Kinect plugged in, it sounded absolutely horrible for the first six hours or so. I was downloading games, sitting at the dashboard, and it sounded like it was reading furiously off an old, borked hard drive. It's only after another... Oh let's say 30 hours of being powered on, and maybe 10 of them playing Killer Instinct, that the sound subsided quite significantly. Now it's reduced to a ticking sound, like I described earlier - like seconds on a clock, but irregular.

If I unplug the Kinect, the sound intensifies for a second.. like it's a tiny robot I just pulled the leg off of. Then it settles down and just ticks again.

On the Xbox forum, somebody said that his went through a similar period of almost being completely silent, but then it reverted back to its noisy self.

I'm (naively?) trusting those that claim their system is "dead silent" to mean it's indistinguishable between in-game and the dashboard. I don't actually have a frame of reference, personally, because I've never encountered an Xbox One until I got mine - let alone one of these fabled silent ones.

Exactly. That's what bothers me. Are you going to send yours back or just wait it out for a while?

SimonM7

Exactly. That's what bothers me. Are you going to send yours back or just wait it out for a while?

I'm set to swap mine at the store tomorrow, so I figure I might as well do that. If that behaves the same way, I'll probably keep it around until Horizon 2 comes out (can't see myself letting go of KI right now, either - I'm so hooked), and then if it hasn't gotten any better when I've had a proper fill of that, I'll just send it in for repairs.

I totally get not putting up with the headache, but I really want an Xbox One around. I'm quite partial to the platform's stable of franchises, and I'm looking forward to Sunset Overdrive a lot (JSR and InFamous have had many babies in my slashfics), so I don't just wanna give up on it.

Besides, I've got a PS4, so that covers Blu-Ray/Netflix without surprise guests Snap Crackle & Pop -- so if all I do on the One is play games, that's fine, too.

Sydle

I should add that I have Kinect plugged in. This is actually my second unit. My launch unit had a defect blu-ray drive and and it made a faint clicking sound. I sent that one in and this new one just happened to be a good one.

EDIT: I've had my Xbox One on for the last 8 hours or so and it hasn't made a sound. I just turned the volume all the way down and couldn't hear a thing.

I downloaded all the Ultra Edition content for Killer Instinct Season 1. Is it wrong that I'm pumped to try a 20-year old game on my One?

You mean KI classic? I was so excited for it but that quickly dissipated after 20 minutes of playtime. The new KI is a much better game in every respect and you should be excited. The upcoming tweaks for Season 2 seem like they are going to make a great game even better.

I just did a check for you, to give you a definitive answer from someone who is quite picky on this sort of thing. My XB1 has been on for literally 12 hours straight right now. Sunday football on all day, etc.

I just closed all the apps, and I have nothing plugged into any USB outlets. I can hear a subtle fan/ticking noise standing a foot away from it in a very silent room. Standing 4 feet or more away I can hear nothing. So it's silent at any normal user distance, but up very close you can hear a very subtle noise coming from it. This is all with the Kinect plugged in.

SimonM7

I just did a check for you, to give you a definitive answer from someone who is quite picky on this sort of thing. My XB1 has been on for literally 12 hours straight right now. Sunday football on all day, etc.

I just closed all the apps, and I have nothing plugged into any USB outlets. I can hear a subtle fan/ticking noise standing a foot away from it in a very silent room. Standing 4 feet or more away I can hear nothing. So it's silent at any normal user distance, but up very close you can hear a very subtle noise coming from it. This is all with the Kinect plugged in.

That's awesome of you! Thanks! That seems to precisely echo my current experience. Aside from the horrible sounds mine was making initially, that is.

I guess what remains is a testimony of someone with a similarly quiet, Kinect-less model. And, really, some making sure that any owner of a "dead silent" system in fact has a dead silent system; ie the non-ticking variety.

That's awesome of you! Thanks! That seems to precisely echo my current experience. Aside from the horrible sounds mine was making initially, that is.

I guess what remains is a testimony of someone with a similarly quiet, Kinect-less model. And, really, some making sure that any owner of a "dead silent" system in fact has a dead silent system; ie the non-ticking variety.

I'll try and take/upload a video tomorrow.

I don't believe you'll find one quieter than mine.

Mine is really dead silent, except for a barely audible fan hum when you're right next to it. It was a bit louder once after I watched a DVD film, but if I remember correctly, it went back to normal as soon as I ejected the disc. In any case, I haven't heard any louder noise coming from it ever since.

It's an older system that came with FIFA 14, and Kinect is always plugged in.

NIN90

Is there a way to listen to a podcast while playing a game?
Or can videos be snapped somehow? I can't snap the Media Player Preview app. Would love to watch Seinfeld while playing Destiny. :O)

EvB

Is there a way to listen to a podcast while playing a game?
Or can videos be snapped somehow? I can't snap the Media Player Preview app. Would love to watch Seinfeld while playing Destiny. :O)

Videos can be snapped, whether they are streamed or played from USB

NIN90

Videos can be snapped, whether they are streamed or played from USB

I don't see how? The Media Player Preview app doesn't show up in the "Snap an app" list and there's no Snap option when I press the.... uhhh "three lines" button.

Or is it exclusive to the OS beta?

Edit: Just to be clear here: I'm trying to watch videos off my USB drive. I just noticed it's possible to snap the Xbox Video app but as far as I can see there's no way to play videos off USB in there.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Chalk up another one to this noise issue, bought the console yesterday.

No sense in taking it back if it's so widespread, as it'll just happen again.

Loud on the dash, loud when it's in standby.

Don't know how it would sound with a disc based game because the only one I got was Dead Rising 3, and I'm still waiting on the motherfucking 16 gig update

Welp

Chalk up another one to this noise issue, bought the console yesterday.

No sense in taking it back if it's so widespread, as it'll just happen again.

Loud on the dash, loud when it's in standby.

Don't know how it would sound with a disc based game because the only one I got was Dead Rising 3, and I'm still waiting on the motherfucking 16 gig update

Welp

What kind of sound is it making in standby?

IMmoRTalis

Neo Member
I bought the kinectless FM5 + FIFA 15 bundle on Friday and my xbox also makes this noise. I called MS support and they said they are aware of the problem and that I could either get a new Xbox from the store I bought it, but there is big chance that the new console will have the same problem, or I could send it in for repair. I chose the latter.

Great console. I'm starting to see the vision the originally had planned in terms of an all purpose system. I've been playing Diablo 3 on it and recently got cable again and I love the snap feature. Was also using the NFL app yesterday to watch a few games and loved the app. Biggest issue though is the OS gets painfully slow after 45 min of use. If they can speed up the multitasking and snap I will enjoy it more. The more I use the XBONE I can see how dated and basic the PS4 OS is. I guess however, it comes at a cost since XBONE is definitely more laggy.

I hate Kinect, I have to say "Xbox" like 3 times for it to hear me. They should have put some kind of kinect/mic tech inside of the controller so it could act as a fail safe if Kinect cant hear you. You basically have to have the volume at med-low for it to hear anything.

Now they just need some exclusives and they will be in good shape.

atomsk

Party Pooper
What kind of sound is it making in standby?

Like it's constantly ticking. Tried getting a video with my phone but it didn't come out well.

On the dashboard it sounds like I've got a hard drive from 1996 in there.

The fact that I can hear it over my PC, which has 6 fans is kind of amazing

Timmay

Banned
Like it's constantly ticking. Tried getting a video with my phone but it didn't come out well.

It's unacceptable, and the fact that other Xbox Ones aren't doing it is all the reason anyone needs to stop saying it's a software issue that MS can magically patch. It isn't. It's a hardware defect.

Maffew

My Xbox One has a quiet fan, about the same level as the quietest fan level of my slim PS3. It also has a slight noticeable hard drive noise. I can hear it from about six feet away when the console on the dashboard, but only when things are quite quiet.

I'm presuming it's a hard drive noise, because it sounds pretty much the same as the hard drive in my PC does. It's also louder than it used to be right back when it was bought... but the internal hard drive on the machine is about 90-95% full now, which probably doesn't help. It never comes close to being audible above normal volume gameplay.

If it wasn't for all the talk about consoles crackling and ticking, I'd probably be okay with all this. But with the widespread worry and panic about it, every Xbox One session is now tinged with an 'Aaaaargh! It's noticeable! Noticeable is bad!'.

I've even got the decibel meter on my phone out, and held it right up to the machine to test it. Decibel readings came in at 40-42dB... pretty much exactly the same as those reported by Digital Foundry back at launch (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-xbox-one-hardware-test).

But (maybe just because of the issues others are having), it still doesn't feel quite right.

atomsk

Party Pooper
I've even got the decibel meter on my phone out, and held it right up to the machine to test it. Decibel readings came in at 40-42dB... pretty much exactly the same as those reported by Digital Foundry back at launch (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-xbox-one-hardware-test).

This was a fantastic idea, just did it myself.

Console on the dashboard, literally doing nothing else.

vOgnIQ9.jpg

Maffew

Okay, seeing that 60dB reading makes me feel a LITTLE better, and more likely to curse my over sensitive hearing...! I shall go back to playing with a little less fear, while keeping half an ear on it up to the point my warranty expires at the end of March and hoping it doesn't get worse.

Of course, I also appreciate that's kinda close to schadenfreude. This sucks for anyone with more of an issue than mine, and that the lack of any meaningful statements from Microsoft on the matter is awful. Hoping that atomsk and the rest of you get this resolved, whether it's by another software update, a new console or whatever it takes..

(and that mine doesn't get worse, obv)

SpokkX

Is this confirmed to be a hardware issue?

People with the problem; is the ticking constant or does it disappear in some specific usage (such as just idling in dash)?

People with the problem; is the ticking constant or does it disappear in some scenario?

Doesn't seem to happen when you're actually playing games, only when you're in the dashboard. Weirdly enough, it stops briefly when the console plays a noise.

Ok. I finally got my own xbox one.

Everyone who said that this thing is quiet is a fucking liar. Straight.

Maybe if it is in a entertainment centre, (as every XB1 ive used before has been) but on a table, I can hear the harddrive, and the power brick fan from across the room.

Id go as far to say that its louder than my PS3 slim.

Im kinda pissed off now because noise is a big thing for me.

Maffew

Physical contact with the console will probably cause the mic to pick up vibrations.

A good point... the mic on my phone (also a Samsung, co-incidentally) didn't though, as the reading was 40-42 dB both hovering above and resting on the console (as in atomsk's picture).

I did manage to get it to get to 55-60 dB when resting it on the join between the vented side and the shiny side, so I'm guessing it was picking up vibrations / rocking between the sides itself at that point...

Timmay

Banned
Just got back from the store with my replacement. Updating now. Quiet so far, let's see how this goes.

I went through the process over 5 times. It's always quiet during the initial update. Once the update finishes and the console reboots is when the noise kicks in and only stops when a game is being played.

rrc1594

Ok. I finally got my own xbox one.

Everyone who said that this thing is quiet is a fucking liar. Straight.

Maybe if it is in a entertainment centre, (as every XB1 ive used before has been) but on a table, I can hear the harddrive, and the power brick fan from across the room.

Id go as far to say that its louder than my PS3 slim.

Im kinda pissed off now because noise is a big thing for me.

Maybe cause I'm all digital, but my X1 is quiet.

Fox Mulder

People with the problem; is the ticking constant or does it disappear in some specific usage (such as just idling in dash)?

I had it when I took it out of the box, but not since. I'll have to see if it happens without a disc in the drive, since forza has sat in there since I installed it.

Maybe cause I'm all digital, but my X1 is quiet.

I havent put a disk in there mate. This is straight out the box.

This. It sounds like the hard drive is constantly seeking data. And its a fucking loud drive at that.

Its quieter than the 360 was..thats about it.

SimonM7

I went through the process over 5 times. It's always quiet during the initial update. Once the update finishes and the console reboots is when the noise kicks in and only stops when a game is being played.

Installing Killer Instinct now. Still quiet. I can hear the HDD if I go up real close, but the intense, constant scratch/ticking noise that I had with my previous unit is not the case here at all.

I'm not about to cork open the champagne just yet, but this is already doing a lot better than I envisioned when I headed out to swap it this morning. Maybe - just maybe - I'm home free now after all. Wouldn't that be a barrel of.. magic apples.

iamjohn

Installing Killer Instinct now. Still quiet. I can hear the HDD if I go up real close, but the intense, constant scratch/ticking noise that I had with my previous unit is not the case here at all.

I'm not about to cork open the champagne just yet, but this is already doing a lot better than I envisioned when I headed out to swap it this morning. Maybe - just maybe - I'm home free now after all. Wouldn't that be a barrel of.. magic apples.

Nice!

Can you try and record to let us see if ours is similar?

SimonM7

Actually, just to at least pay some lip service to the topic of this thread - which I'm very much complicit in hijacking a bit... Has anyone found a decent use for the HDMI-in in lieu of a cable/digital box? I don't really *have* "TV" per se.

iamjohn said:
Nice!

Can you try and record to let us see if ours is similar?

Sure! I'll grab my phone and do a dashboard audio sample in a bit.

Top Bottom