• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Young Justice (DC, Cartoon Network, 2010)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombine

Banned
Young-Justice-TV-Series-CW-2015.jpg

I don't even know where to begin...wow. This show has far exceeded my expectations from the moment I started it, to the point where I'm at now (around episode 7 I believe). The characters are incredibly fun and relatable, the animation and fight sequences are blowing my mind, and the voice talent is pretty insane as well (Nolan North, Danica McKellar).

I'm not particularly sure why I never caught this when it first aired. I was only 20 at the time and not doing a whole lot besides retail stuff and school, and Cartoon Network was definitely still in regular channel rotation, so I'm not sure what's up with that. I was bummed to find out that the show is a victim of Cartoon Network stupidity and how they view positive female viewership (holy fucking shit, I wish this wasn't true...but it is.) At this point, I'm more than aware that season 2's ending won't leave me satisfied, but it's the journey that matters, and at least season one has introduced me to a ton of great characters and self contained storylines. I particularly enjoy Kid Flash, but the forced Megan/Superboy romance isn't doing it for me yet. There was a bit of momentum with it when they went to High School and their bonding during the Psimon battle, but I still wasn't feeling it.

Season one also has some really bombastic battles that have blown my mind as well. I loved the Amazo fight, and honestly I think it might be one of the best that DC Animation has ever pumped out

crorsINA-RC96fhuHZD_h6dml8_Mwb59MX5MK64hhWCqaUj_Qq7yVtvuncF7wuBOnIIvmKhi7Zpfx7-OQen2Fupo-DeGJ2WNeWg4KHzUXMg72Tx3HuBhzI7U

I also really dug the battle at Atlantis over Starro and how basically everyone kicked ass.

latest

Bad. Ass.

I really can't get enough of this show, and I'm looking forward to continuing it on my vacation this week. Any other fans here? Any favorite episodes or characters? Any other newcomers? Regardless of where you stand, the entire series is up on US Netflix for your enjoyment.

Slayven

Pretty good show. My only gripes is the winning but not winning went on for faaarrrrr to long. Like the team could get the wrong topping on their pizza and it would be a plan by the light.

The second grip is personal that it is Young Justice in name only. If they had went with the real YJ, instead angst town, that would be amazing.

sophora

Everyone I talk to says that season 2 is crap and incredibly bloated. Is there any saving grace to it?

I'd say I enjoyed season 2 more than season 1, but that's for you to find out for yourself if it fits your tastes for plot. I'd say season 2 is more ruined by the whole cartoon network shenanigans mostly.

Everyone I talk to says that season 2 is crap and incredibly bloated. Is there any saving grace to it?

Dick wearing the Nightwing costume is legitimately the only saving grace(and thats not saying he is even awesome or anything, just that he looks cool when he gets screen time.)
Same for Batgirl.

plot spoiler
Wally+ Artemis, and Cheshire + Roy
was the only story thing that worked for me though in S2.

jackdoe

Season 2 adds in so many characters that there isn't proper time to develop all of them. However, it's still worth watching and isn't that bad. I enjoyed it far more than Justice League Season 1 (which is awful).

I really enjoyed it, fwiw.

That might just be my Jaime Reyes bias talking tho. Still, cool villains, decent overall arc, characters are still fun (though many of the S1 crew has changed a lot).

Season 2 adds in so many characters that there isn't proper time to develop all of them. However, it's still worth watching and isn't that bad. I enjoyed it far more than Justice League Season 1 (which is awful).

Damn it was so many unnecessary characters, probably 3 or 4 times what the show needed.

Rewatched it on Netflix recently.
First season was incredible but 2 is absolute garbage.
]

I never watched it. Shame that Netglix does not have Warner cartoons here....

Pretty good show. My only gripes is the winning but not winning went on for faaarrrrr to long. Like the team could get the wrong topping on their pizza and it would be a plan by the light.

The second grip is personal that it is Young Justice in name only. If they had went with the real YJ, instead angst town, that would be amazing.

I think that is because tje show is basically a Teen Titans show, but does not want to be confused by the TT Go! show.

shoreu

Rewatched it on Netflix recently.
First season was incredible but 2 is absolute garbage.

Favorite character by far...
latest

What season 2 is awesome.

I enjoy this show so much because it tries to show some powerful comic book heroes, but they fuck up Shazam and Manhunters actual powers. And who the hell is this king Orin bum. I didn't notice back then because I wasn't reading as much but it bothers the hell out of me.

Also I marathoned both seasons in a weekend lol.

Zombine

Banned
How about Garth though? Aqua lad is gone for 2 months and Tula is making guppies with him instead. Aqua Lad is basically Water Drake.

Hiltz

The show had a lot of good ideas, but they weren't always executed as well as we hoped. However, I really appreciated what it had to offer. The art style is probably my favorite of any of the DC animated TV series, as are the character designs of most of the cast of heroes and villains. The inclusion of Blue Beetle and Miss Martian were a delightful surprise in particular (coming from someone who was never familiar with their characters). I loved the episodes were Atlantis was featured in.

My son (7) just started this, and wanted me to see. So I just saw a few episodes (11-13) and they are really, really good.

I did not like the Peter David series so I hadn't paid attention, but this is great.

shoreu

If a billion characters with absolutely zero development is your thing, I guess.

Lol I guess since I know just about everything about all of them I have all the back story. Plus the main focus is on the older guys still. Plus the
new team and blue beetle

Too bad all these milestones characters are confined to Earth M now we may never get some good interaction again.

Luigi87

Really loved season one. Very lukewarm about season two. I just did not care for how some things were handled (but man, that cliffhanger...)

I also really liked this Dick Grayson Robin, which is why I didn't care too much for the sudden timeskip between the two seasons.

guek

Banned
Young Justice is up there among the other GOAT comicbook cartoons for me, seasons 1 and 2 both. The 2nd season is very different but I thought it worked well. Yeah the cast got bloated but all the core season 1 members were still the focus of the drama and narrative. I loved how season 1 was all about these kids learning how to be superheros. By season 2, the team is extremely proficient and easily rival the Justice League proper in efficiency, albeit not in power.

I'd love to see WB Animation break a deal with Netflix for a YJ continuation or a Justice League show. Any hopes for a serial action cartoon on cartoon network is dead. Justice League Action looks like it will be fun, but it's not going to be timmverse level storytelling, not with 11 minute runtimes.

I could see it happening if the DCEU is a major hit.

edit: Season 2 criticism hyperbole is bullshit. I enjoyed it, but I favor the original group above the new recruits. There's absolutely no reason to not watch it.

Xe4

Banned
Fantastic show. I hate CN every day for cancelling it. I honestly don't know how Weisman deals with all of the constant heartbreak.

Sou Da

And they can get bent over what they did to Wally

You know damn well they setting up Wally for the speedforce shenanigans he was robbed of in JLU.

Also this show has the GOAT Barry. Making him the corniest man alive was a good move

Tabby

You know damn well they setting up Wally for the speedforce shenanigans he was robbed of in JLU.

Also this show has the GOAT Barry. Making him the corniest man alive was a good move

Didn't they say Speedforce doesn't exist in this universe?

Penguin

Just finished a rewatch last night

Season 2 was better than what I remembered when not hampered by delays and odd gaps, but still too scattered.

Season 1 was great, but breaking up the team then making the focus the Blue Beetle really changed season 2 feel and development. Also getting rid of the League after the family team-up episode

:(

Don't know how ya'll dealt with season 2 Wally "gonna second guess everything you do dick and hate you for some reason that's never explained" west

shoreu

And they can get bent over what they did to Wally

Yeah if we get a season 3 Wally better come back as a speed force god.

tumblr_lmsz70lvWX1qh5fglo1_400.gif

Good start, plagued by scheduling issues. 1 episode every 3 months lol

Cartoon network was actively trying to kill the show. They took down an episode day of and pushed it back to Jan. They do this shit with all of their action shows

Blues1990

The series is pretty solid all-round, but I guess the only reason why I don't like Season 2 as much, is due to it setting up some cool events that will never come to pass. (That is, unless if we get a season 3 through an online streaming service.) Also, there were characters that had gotten shafted with any sort of character development, such as Wonder Girl, who I can't eve remember if she did anything significant in S2.

We did get an awesome animated adaptation of Jamie Rayes as the Blue Beetle, so it isn't a complete wash.

Just finished season 1 a few days ago and about to start season 2 soon. What other animated series should I be checking out next? This is my first animated superhero series

Zombine

Banned
Just finished season 1 a few days ago and about to start season 2 soon. What other animated series should I be checking out next? This is my first animated superhero series

I hear Green Lantern is pretty dope. Haven't really caught much of that but I think I'll hit it up next.

Don't know how ya'll dealt with season 2 Wally "gonna second guess everything you do dick and hate you for some reason that's never explained" west

Wally was pissed that Dick put Artemis in the Light's hands as they were both out of the hero game. He says it after Mt. Justice blows up that he's terrified for her and given what Dick's plans almost ended up doing, Wally was justified.

Season 2 is still good; it tells a stronger story though its focus and characterization isn't as good.

Pretty much, the characters that do get focus (Impulse, Blue Beetle, Arsenal, Dick, Conner and Miss Martian.) get enough anyways. It was just more about the plot than it was about the team. Not bad in anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom