• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Young Justice (DC, Cartoon Network, 2010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished season 1 a few days ago and about to start season 2 soon. What other animated series should I be checking out next? This is my first animated superhero series

Definitely Justice League/Unlimited as they are directly related (and also on Netflix). Then also Batman Beyond, Teen Titans and maybe Static Shock.. I hear Spectacular Spiderman is good too but I haven't seen it myself.

Then there are the older shows, Superman:TAS and Batman:TAS. They mostly hold up, though the latter is dated in alot of ways - animation obviously, and the creative team figuring out their footing (and occasionally fighting with the studio).

ElTopo

Banned
Whenever I see threads like this I get pissed that the show was just dumped by the network and treated very poorly. And we got that "other show" in it's place...

I think Young Justice is without question the best DC Animated show.

It really sucks that it was killed with Darkseid about to come on the scene.

And I liked Season 2 more than Season 1, tbh.

Pretty good show. My only gripes is the winning but not winning went on for faaarrrrr to long. Like the team could get the wrong topping on their pizza and it would be a plan by the light.

LOL, Weisman can take the whole Xanatos gambit thing a bit too far sometimes...probably should have just had more one-offs unaffiliated with the Light.

Scirrocco

They did such a good job of setting him up too. Normally it's just "hey darkseid is really really evil!". But he's set ip like most other villains. But in yj they just drop hints, and whispers. They made Desaad such an evil guy when he appeared, and his boss is scarier then him? Makes you realize e just how bad he is.

I saw the game they made at a game stop near me. Did anyone play it? Is it worth picking up if you liked the series?

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Superhero cartoons have really had a rough go of it the past decade haven't they? The volume of great shows getting cancelled after one or two seasons only to be replaced by lesser series has been such a bummer. Young Justice, Wolverine and the X-Men, and Avenger's: Earth's Mightiest Heroes all deserved better.

Phyranion

LOL, Weisman can take the whole Xanatos gambit thing a bit too far sometimes...probably should have just had more one-offs unaffiliated with the Light.
Yeah. Almost every single episode of season 1 ended with the villain actually working for The Light, and something like "Another victory for The Light, hehehehehehe".

ElTopo

Banned

Season 2 took a while to get good. I'm not a big fan of Blue Beetle (I'm personally tired of the cliche of a kid being handed this great power and has to keep an alter ego and all that) but it just felt like the network wanted a shakeup. Once the cast of season 1 come to the forefront is when the show gets really good.

Just started season 2 last week and I'm loving it so far.

I hate that this was cancelled. The show has a level of maturity and brutality that I don't see in many cartoons these days

Tabby

Just finished season 1 a few days ago and about to start season 2 soon. What other animated series should I be checking out next? This is my first animated superhero series
Green Lantern The Animated Series. Another CN show that shouldn't have been cancelled.

Cwarrior

Everyone I talk to says that season 2 is crap and incredibly bloated. Is there any saving grace to it?

Lol season 2 is a huge huge improvement all round from season 1.

Better story,better written, better acton , character dynamics, way less predictable then s1 and lacked the herpa derp drama & dues ex machina (dr light helmet) of s1.

You have to be on super crack to think s1 is even in the same league as s2

JSevere

what a time for this thread to pop up, finished season one on netflix like an hour ago. finale was great and the show is pretty good. animation and art design are on-point

Parch

I finished Young Justice last month. I was expecting more of a kids show but it's really good. A lot more complex storytelling than I thought it would be.

Just to switch it up I'm now watching Avengers Assemble. Not as good but I'm still liking it.

Discovering all these good superhero cartoons means I don't even read Marvel and DC comics anymore. There are better comics to read, but superhero animation has me hooked.

Zombine

Banned
I really hated Artemis. She was just a bland reductive character.

I honestly think YJ Artrmis is kinda awesome. No more or less annoying than other characters on the show, and she has a cool costume.

I don't think she's very good with a bow though lol

MV5BMjE5Mzg1ODUzMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjgwNzE2NA@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

Best character on the show imo

shoreu

Whenever I see threads like this I get pissed that the show was just dumped by the network and treated very poorly. And we got that "other show" in it's place...

I think Young Justice is without question the best DC Animated show.

Seconded I never thought I would want a show as much a justice league. We got to see young heroes done right.

I actually liked her, I kinda wish they'd bring the YJ version(look, plus Cheshire relationship) into the comics permanently.

I got some bad news for you on Artemis lol.

If I'm not so fond of the time jump, is season 2 still worth watching? I liked the tight focus of season 1s group and just not excited about so many characters being introduced

Loke13

If I'm not so fond of the time jump, is season 2 still worth watching? I liked the tight focus of season 1s group and just not excited about so many characters being introduced
Yes you'll love it. A lot of people are exaggerating the time skip Once the new characters are introduced The plot goes back to focusing on the core group. But to be honest that's something that never loses focus to began with. Season 2 is in everyway better than the first just for the fact that it builds so organically on the relationships of Season 1.

ed_fusion

Banned
loved this show so much...

they left us with blue balls, with the darkseid cameo at the end and we will never know what would of happened next!!

:(

ElTopo

Banned

It takes a little while to get going because it has to establish the new characters and all that. But season 2 is as equally good as season 1.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
CN weird scheduling killed this show, I remember having to wait months for a new episode. They aired a new episode and then they sat for over 3 months on new episodes, it was weird as fuck and probably was a death sentence to this show.

kurahador

This shows has its moments I guess. While it always falls flat when it comes to reveals, I prefers season 2 by a huge margin due to the amount of characters involved.

Also...I hate how this series make all non-powered villains having godlike powers.
I mean I don't think Sportmaster ever lose throughout the show. Fuck that shit.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Fucking loved the show. The wound of Spectacular Spider-Man's cancellation was still so fresh, but YJ was just the show to replace it. Weisman did good work. My only real complaint was that it could get crazily exposition heavy at the drop of a dime.

Also this talk of Season 2 being terrible is total bullshit. People couldn't reconcile the possible notion that not every character is going to be at the forefront of every story, and that when you have a time-skip like that, there might just be a reason a show isn't giving you immediate answers right away. Like it was genuinely shocking that people couldn't grasp the intent of slow reveals after a time-skip.

Blues1990

CN weird scheduling killed this show, I remember having to wait months for a new episode. They aired a new episode and then they sat for over 3 months on new episodes, it was weird as fuck and probably was a death sentence to this show.

Even after listening to Paul Dini's interview, I could never understand why Warner Bros. Animation/DC wanted to prove a point and squander what good press & ratings they got with the show. If anything, they should've adapted and catered to the fans/demographics that were watching it.

ghstwrld

yj flops because its stories lack impact; the multi-layered storytelling and meticulous pacing build up to utterly indifferent outcomes, ones that are in service of villains that are mostly ciphers running on nothing but empty motivation

the second season turns the shittiness up to eleven

kaldur and artemis' family dramas are great though, but we never really get a lot of them

ElTopo

Banned

I remember that a couple of episodes were released on Itunes, these same episodes were being held back from being shown on Cartoon Network for a month or more (something like that). The episodes on Itunes were selling extremely well but Cartoon Network shut that down.

Cartoon Network wanted the show to fail for whatever reasons they had.

ZeroX03

Banned
I will be forever bitter about the cliffhanger it ended on. Shit was about to go down.

Yup fuck cartoon network

Really loved season one. Very lukewarm about season two. I just did not care for how some things were handled (but man, that cliffhanger...)

I also really liked this Dick Grayson Robin, which is why I didn't care too much for the sudden timeskip between the two seasons.

Not a cliffhanger. Was the producers choice.

batbeg

Just watched this show this week and finished it this morning. Damn it was fantastic. I loved how the time skip played out at the start of season 2 and went balls to the wall with superheroes, though I did miss the tighter intimacy of the team from season 1,particularly with Robin and Superboy.

Season 2 has the best twist ever:
"My king! What do you mean the only other black Atlantean is my father?"
This shows has its moments I guess. While it always falls flat when it comes to reveals, I prefers season 2 by a huge margin due to the amount of characters involved.

Also...I hate how this series make all non-powered villains having godlike powers.
I mean I don't think Sportmaster ever lose throughout the show. Fuck that shit.
ALL of the villains are top tier. Motherfuckers made Sportsmaster even remotely relevant.
Not a cliffhanger. Was the producers choice.
And that angers me more
Don't watch wolverine and the xmen next. It will bread your heart.
And that's just not healthy.
Imagine getting bomber jacket Superboy in a cartoon today? That's what'll save superhero shows forever.
Lagoon Boy was god awful.
Fuck Lagoon Boy.
And they can get bent over what they did to Wally
Making him the hero we deserve?
Didn't they say Speedforce doesn't exist in this universe?
I find that to be bullshit
Loved the Black Manta design
Black Manta has the most timeless design ever

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm not shocked that you missed it when it was airing. I was there from Episode 1 and it was very difficult to catch. Two episodes and then it would be gone for two months, then a string of episodes and it would be gone for 4-5 months, and so on. Apparently it was a production issue where they needed to air the early episodes before they had a stockpile of episodes because otherwise people wouldn't have gotten paid. It was just difficult as a viewer.

I'm more of a fan of Season 1 than Season 2. S2 is still really good, but I felt like it introduced a lot of new chatacters out of nowhere. I'm cool with the idea of a rotating cast, but it felt a bit abrupt in the way they did it.

Dram

If I'm remember right, the show died because its toyline didn't do well.

the issue with season 2 is that it was clearly expecting a third season that they got robbed of. I really enjoyed season 2, hell i like young justice more than I liked the justice league show. I wish at the very least we got one of them animated dc films to give us some sort of closure instead of them just constantly doing batman animated films. hell, even when its not about batman theres a lot of batman pandering. At least the Green Lantern show got a sort of open ending where while still sad it didn't get another season, you can use got some sort of closure for characters.

Penguin

Seems like... sigh may be hope for a season 3....

https://www.facebook.com/christopherjonescomicart/posts/936934176344178

Netflix is looking closely at ‪#‎YoungJustice‬ viewing numbers since adding Season 2 at the beginning of the month. This creates a unique opportunity (and a free one if you already have Netflix Streaming) for fans to demonstrate demand for the show. That's the best way we have to convince Netflix or any other original content provider that it's worth investing in creating more of this series. ‪#‎BingeWatching‬

Viewt

Wow, really surprised to hear all of the Season 2 bashing here. I liked Season 2 a ton, maybe even more than the first season. But maybe I'm biased because it was one of the last times anyone fucking remembered that Tim Drake exists.

Dick in Season 1 is a carbon-copy of Tim's characterization anyway, anda lot of the questionable shit he does in Season 2 is a total Tim Drake move, as well.

Young Justice always came off like a show that was going to be GREAT to binge, but the constant, seemingly random delays really hurt things. Like, there wasn't even a season break between 1 and 2, but then after like five episodes, yep, we're gonna take a four-month break. Ugh.

It's too bad the show was cancelled before it had time to get to
Darkseid
, because when they showed that reveal, it just had so much potential. Sad stuff.

Oh, and I'll echo the recommendations for Green Lantern TAS. I wish it had been traditional animation, but they really got some gorgeous stuff out of that CG. And good lord was the art on that show spectacular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom