• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP Young Justice - Unmarked Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair warning, this thread will contain open spoilers for the entire series, you have been warned.

So I have been on an animated tv show mood and recently wrapped up Justice League / Justice League Unlimited. I was on the fence for a bit on what to watch next but I decided to stay within the DC Universe and watch Young Justice next. Long story short, I am glad I did because the show is effing fantastic.

To summarize the premise, Young Justice basically takes a bunch of side-kick characters throughout the DC universe and throws them on the same team to become the AAA squad of the Justice League running primarily covert ops. All of the characters are teenagers so needless to say there is ample opportunity to for new friendships, budding romances, rivalries, intrigue, secrets, etc.

Why I loved the show:

Great characters – Robin / Nightwing’s casual confidence and cheesy oneliners “I’m whelmed”, Miss Martian’s positivity and goofiness, Aqualad’s stoic nobility, etc. Most of the characters are fully fleshed out, interesting, and unique.

Mature / dark themes – Both seasons were chalk full of surprisingly dark themes for a “kid’s show”. Miss Martian abusing her physic powers, Artemis’ family issues and secrets, Aqualad’s undercover mission, trust issues and the hunt for the mole, etc.

Beautiful Artstyle
Young-Justice-TV-Series-CW-2015.jpg

Great Action Scenes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9p9AByMJ2Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hTQMCGcyQE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHJrouIHZDY

Some of my favorite episodes:

Coldhearted - Kid Flash has to race a donor heart across the US within 4 hrs and learns some hard lessons along the way

Unusual Suspects - The reveal of Roy as the mole was great

Auld Acquaintance - The Young Justice squad vs mind controlled JLA

Homefront - Artemis and Robin have to defend the cave and rescue their friends against killer robots

Image - The Miss Martian - Hello Meagan / white martian dynamic

I loved both seasons one and two even though I would give the slight edge to season one. Nevertheless I can’t really point to a bad episode or story arc in the bunch. I didn’t mind season two’s time skip and it was fun piecing together what happened in the five years between which proved some interesting story beats. For example the reveal as to what split Miss Martian and Superboy was surprisingly poignant, and the Red Arrow and Chesire reveal was also great.

My one main criticism is that I did think they size of the cast in S2 was a little too big which hurt some of the new batch of characters. For example Wonder Girl and Batgirl didn’t get nearly enough screen time and were pretty one note in hindsight.

Still a little pissed that there won’t be a season 3 especially since S2 ends on a bit of a cliff hanger, but all in I guess there are 46 episodes of fantastic television so I can’t complain too loudly.

I'm sure other Gaffers are better equipped to articulate why the show is great but I was hooked from the first few eps and it was a great ride. So in short, the show was absolutely wonderful and I would whole heartedly recommend it to any fan of the DC Universe, comic books, or animated shows in general.

Pein

Banned
Loved this show, sucked that it ended with Wally dying because you know if there was a season 3 he would have come back.

Favorite DC show besides the Justice League and Unlimited.

Sketchbag

Banned
The League discussing the League requirements was great. I loved how the Green Lanterns didn't want another.

"NO."

"If age is a problem, Shazaam is a 13-year-old."

Shaanyboi

Banned
Great show. The Justice League's protege's forming a black ops team. That's fucking awesome.

I don't really agree with the criticism about the second season's expanded roster, largely since the show isn't really about them. Aside from Blue Beetle and Impulse, the newbies are moreso just to display that time has passed, and this team has evolved. I mean they give some of them some arcs, but again, they're not so central. Robin (Tim Drake) is really there to put Nightwing in more of a big brother/teacher role. Beast Boy is kinda the new comic relief, but he's there to play off Miss Martian more than anything, as it keeps her kinda relatable despite how much she's changed over the years. Bumblebee and Mac don't have huge roles, but atleast they carry over from Season 1. Wonder Girl is kinda the most green member of the team. She doesn't think tactically, and she really is just kinda a muscle character. I would've liked to see more Batgirl, but she still did fine when she was on-screen.

But at the end of the day... again, aside from Impulse and Blue Beetle, the show is still about Nightwing, Aqualad, Miss Martian, Superboy, Artemis, Roy, and Wally at the center.

Loved the show. Really depressing how it got cancelled.

Pein

Banned
The League discussing the League requirements was great. I loved how the Green Lanterns didn't want another.

"NO."

Loved Captain Marvel in this show, of course the little kid would idolize the teenagers but be totally cool sitting with the League.

Fey

Banned
i went into depression when i finished season 2 and found out that it was cancelled after that and now i am in depression again because of this topic

Shaanyboi

Banned

"NO."

So good. But my favorite moment that episode came when Wonder Woman criticized Batman for indoctrinating Robin at such a young age.

"Robin needed to bring the men who killed his parents to justice."
"So he could turn out like you?!"
"So that he wouldn't."

It was moments like that, Superman being a shitty "father", Zatanna losing her dad, Robin and Wally exchanging looks as they know they're about to die, Dick admitting that he doesn't want to "be The Batman anymore".... Those moments made the show. Also when Haley revealed to Dick that he knew who he really was, it kinda brought a tear to my eye. "Some things never change, like the sight of a Greyson on the trapeze. Can't fake that. Can't hide it." I really hope if we get a Robin origin movie that we see a moment like that after Dick has trained for years with Bruce. Maybe as Robin, he has to save Haley from the same extortion racket or whatever that killed his parents, and Haley knows exactly who he is...

Weiss

Banned
So it's not just me who thinks Wally was totally going to come back to life in a hypothetical season 3 right?

i went into depression when i finished season 2 and found out that it was cancelled after that and now i am in depression again because of this topic

If it makes you feel any better, I finished S2 earlier today and I pretty much made this thread to fight back the sadness that there aren't any more episodes.

Loke13

So it's not just me who thinks Wally was totally going to come back to life in a hypothetical season 3 right?
Oh god Weiss it's you. PLease tell us what happens!!!

It still blows me away that CN canceled this show. I mean THIS was quality fucking television superhero cartoon gold!!

What the hell happened?

Weiss

Banned
Oh god Weiss it's you. PLease tell us what happens!!!

It still blows me away that CN canceled this show. I mean THIS was quality fucking television superhero cartoon gold!!

What the hell happened?

Did I just get confused for Greg Weisman?

zeemumu

And used Spectacular Spider-Man's Josh Keaton as Black Spider? So good... Glad Weisman took the opportunity to work with Keaton again.

When I heard him use the term "web slinging" I knew it was on purpose. Crazy how effective Spider-Man would be if he was an assassin for hire.

Superman doesn't want to pay child support.

I heard they didn't want him because Guy Gardner is supposed to be a jerk. A shame that it died when they were about to do a Darkseid storyline. I wanted to see that, but I doubt a bunch of sidekicks could take out the biggest DC villain.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
DC/warner needs to just bring the show back. The Movie potential in about 4 years (Dc Phase 2) should be worth it.

tariniel

I wish Netflix had season 2, I really enjoyed season 1! That said I avoided reading OP because I want to avoid spoilers for when I finally watch it.

Gartooth

Yeah I think so too. Hate how it ended though. He was one of the main characters in season 1 and got sidelined harder in season 2 than nearly any other character, only to wind up dead in the finale with little to no build-up. I would've been pissed at the writers if he didn't come back via time travel in season 3.

Edit: God I hated the Ms. Martian / Superboy / Lagoon Boy love triangle. What's really sad is that I know Ms. Martian and Superboy would've still been major players in season 3 since they don't age as quickly.

Gartooth

I was putting all my hopes and dreams into the idea that DC would release a condensed "season 3" as a DTV animated film. They did animated features with DCAU shows, and I was hoping for some closure at the very least.

Hopefully there's some truth to this rumor:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/12...the-cw/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Today, Bleeding Cool premieres Aquaman: The Teen Drama, a parody project airing every day this week, from Patrick Willems and the Afterwards They Will Explode team.

But it looks as if DC Entertainment have been paying attention to the hype.

Bleeding Cool has been led to believe by a recently-reliable source that the CW is developing another live action teen drama/romance series with a superhero twist, based on the Young Justice cartoon, games and comics, being prepped for 2015.

And yes, with Superboy and Miss Martian as the leads of The Team…

Any casting suggestions?

I think black Manta/ aqualad heel turn were the epitome of the show and the best character interaction in the entire series. That whole aspect had me giddy from so many aspects (racial filial emotional metaphysical you name it) I was sad about he eventual reveal which everyone saw coming but still .

I wish it had been a permanent change and shown true consequence.

I was putting all my hopes and dreams into the idea that DC would released a condensed "season 3" as a DTV animated film. They did animated features with DCAU shows, and I was hoping for some closure at the very least.

That would be a great happy medium as opposed to how it ended. Probably will never happen but you have my sword.

SykoTech

Good news, Young Justice is returning to Cartoon Network!

...via some one-time cameo episode in that mediocre Teen Titans Go! show that is.

Blues1990

While I was more partial to 'Green Lantern: The Animated Series' than I ever was with 'Young Justice', I am sad that the show was never given the closure it had rightfully needed. And while I never cared too much for Batman in most media, the Young Justice version was my favourite portrayal of the character. Also, Black Canary acting as the Team's counselor was one of my favourite moments from season one.

This series was a lot better than I thought it'd be.

Remember when they fought Spider-Man?

20121110002408!Black_Spider.png
That was such a happy and sad moment. Happy in that they took a D-list villain and basically rewrote him to be Spider-Man but sad in that it reminds you that they cancelled Spectacular Spider-Man (and worse, replaced it with that awful Ultimate Spider-Man).

SykoTech

That was such a happy and sad moment. Happy in that they took a D-list villain and basically rewrote him to be Spider-Man but sad in that it reminds you that they cancelled Spectacular Spider-Man (and worse, replaced it with that awful Ultimate Spider-Man).

Heh, yep.

Even sadder when Young Justice ironic shared the same fate. Cancelled after a Season 2 cliffhanger and replaced by unfunny superhero team show.

Poor Greg Weissman.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Ending the second Season with Savage shaking hands with Darkseid was the worst... I know they didn't know the show would be cancelled, it's CN's fault obviously, but maaaaan.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Aqualad the GOAT.

Fuck Lagoon Boy.

The fact that they never got one more season to at least wrap things up makes me very disappointed with Cartoon network.

Why was Meghan attracted to such annoying shits

Superboy was an irritant too for the first half of the season

I learned to like him near the end though and he was way better than lagoon boy

I loved the dynamic between Clark and Conner. It was somewhat human for Clark to have mixed feelings about a clone. And I liked that Conner didn't have all the super powers Superman had. I need to rewatch Season 2.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I loved the dynamic between Clark and Conner. It was somewhat human for Clark to have mixed feelings about a clone. And I liked that Conner didn't have all the super powers Superman had. I need to rewatch Season 2.

It's interesting how they treat the dynamic between them as a father/son thing, but then in season 2 when they're both cool with eachother, Clark calls him "little brother."

The memories... god damn it CN. oh well, at least this reminded me I need to check out the game some time. Doesn't look great, but whatever. I should probably see if I missed any of the comics as well while I'm at it.

Measley

I loved Batman on this show. One of the best animated interpretations of him I've seen.

I also enjoyed seeing the bat-family. Batgirl, Nightwing, and Robin II were really awesome additions to the cast in season 2.

I also became a fan of Blue Beetle because of this show.

The racial diversity of the cast was also very noteworthy.

I miss this show a lot. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom