• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lucario confirmed for Super Smash Brothers Wii U/3DS

Honest question. Why do people like this character?

Because he's the poster child for the furry community.

Is that like some rule34 thing, cos then. . .

aRXivLP.gif

Niwa

god his down b sucked.......his over b, neutral a, blue balls, damage power scale and air game though...magnific....so much fun to play as...and dude hit like a frieght train at high damage

But it was so fun to annoy people with it. :D

MarkusRJR

That's nice. Hopefully they bring back Mewtwo. It'd be cool to get both of them have Mega Evo's be their final smash. I'd imagine Mewtwo's final smash would be a random choice between the X and Y Mega Evo's (assuming they bring him back).

Also, am I the only one not impressed with the visuals at all? They seem like HD Brawl but with slighter higher res textures and more polys. Reminds me a lot of DKC:TF in terms of the visual bump.

RomanceDawn

Yabadabadoo!!!!!! Good Lucario players basically destroyed my Donkey Kong and Bowser but that's ok. New physics may save my favorite characters yet!

I love when the haters complain when a character they hate or expected to get cut got in! Just about everyone from Brawl is coming back! Only character I have a little doubt in is Snake, don't know why, just a feeling.

one_kill

That's nice. Hopefully they bring back Mewtwo. It'd be cool to get both of them have Mega Evo's be their final smash. I'd imagine Mewtwo's final smash would be a random choice between the X and Y Mega Evo's (assuming they bring him back).

Also, am I the only one not impressed with the visuals at all? They seem like HD Brawl but with slighter higher res textures and more polys.
I reckon it would be X because of its typing, but it would be cool to fly around with Mewtwo Y like Super Sonic.

Anth0ny

God damn Lucario looks great. Happy he's back.

I'm guessing he's leaving Mewtwo for a surprise unlockable and he won't be shown before the game's release ^_^

Play 24 hours of versus matches to unlock him.

He plays so much better and so much more interestingly in Project M than he did in Brawl. I really hope he's not just a cleaned-up Brawl port here.

Jawmuncher

Oh man I can't handle these reveals. I need more confirmations ASAP.
They need to do a nintendo direct and announce at least 3 characters at once so I calm down. That or reveal snake. I will also accept a character with snakes moveset.

Anth0ny

He plays so much better and so much more interestingly in Project M than he did in Brawl. I really hope he's not just a cleaned-up Brawl port here.

If I had to guess... he'll play like Brawl Lucario with a buffed aura gimmick.

Which is not bad... I guess.

Box

Ironically, this might make Mewtwo and Jigglypuff more likely because the most likely candidate to replace them was a 5th or 6th gen Pokemon and it seems that that hasn't materialized.

Sonic, Lucario and toon link are wasted roster spots.

Replace lucario with Greninja

replace toon link with Skull Kid.

replace sonic with Ice climbers.

yyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssss
FUCKING. YES.

He's been my main since November, so I'm happy as hell.
Smash Bros. went from a Week 1 to a Day 1 purchase.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I'd like to start with a rant on why they just announced a new Pokemon now, was really expecting a new Pokemon announce during the X&Y release. Then with the announcement, part of me says "Yay! Lucario is back!", but theres also a part of me that wants Mewtwo back, but I'm fine with this either way.

Also hoping that his Final Smash would be Mega Lucario since I wasn't really fond of his Brawl Final Smash. Something like Warios Final Smash giving you full control while attack damage increases, his Pokemon Ability is Adaptability after all.

Another thing I'd like to mention is that with this announcement, I really have this feeling that none of the Brawl roster will be cut, most would just be given new movesets based on their recent game appearance.

lucairio does not mean mewtwo is out, its not a either or situation.
That we know of

Yuripaw

Banned
Character selection for this game is so conservative and boring.

I would strongly agree with that. I am so worried about how boring the lineup for this game is. In any other game, I might not care as much, but this is Smash Bros we're talking about...they could be adding a number of characters from so many franchises. Plus, isn't this game being co-developed with Namco? Where the hell are some Namco characters?

JoeM86

Last time, nearly all the new characters were officially revealed before launch. This killed the game somewhat. Would you not rather have surprise?
I would strongly agree with that. I am so worried about how boring the lineup for this game is. In any other game, I might not care as much, but this is Smash Bros we're talking about...they could be adding a number of characters from so many franchises. Plus, isn't this game being co-developed with Namco? Where the hell are some Namco characters?

Why would there be Namco characters? Just because they're helping with development does not mean the game will suddenly become littered with them.

Yuripaw

Banned
Why would there be Namco characters? Just because they're helping with development does not mean the game will suddenly become littered with them.

No, but they should be broadening their partnership so that the game stands out a little more over Brawl. There are so many characters ripped straight out of Brawl in this new game. Even when they announced Marth from Fire Emblem, I was so disappointed, because it was the same damn Marth from previous Smash Bros games...it would have been nice if they used the "Marth" from Fire Emblem Awakening so we got a new character.

Village

I wouldn't say reveal everyone, but every time they reveal a new character, and it's someone like this, all I see is "Well that's another slot of the character roaster taken up..."

There are no slots, they have decided who would be in, way before hand most of the time. The closest thing to slots that this game has is when sonic got rushed last minute and potentially stopped mew two and dr. mario from getting in brawl.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
No, but they should be broadening their partnership so that the game stands out a little more over Brawl. There are so many characters ripped straight out of Brawl in this new game. Even when they announced Marth from Fire Emblem, I was so disappointed, because it was the same damn Marth from previous Smash Bros games...it would have been nice if they used the "Marth" from Fire Emblem Awakening so we got a new character.

Did you seriously want them to take out the fire emblem representative, who has been in 2 now 3 smashes now, for a person thats only going to be in one game, and that person's gimmick was that she looked like marth AS A SELLING POINT, what is smash to you?

Box

This is Smash Bros man. This isn't some third party mashup fighter full of characters nobody cares about. Every character is subject of fierce debate and scrutiny. For people who play on Nintendo systems, they're the most important characters in all of video gaming. You can't just choose a bunch of random characters that nobody has heard about. You have to hit all of the bases.

Also, nobody cares about Namco.

Yuripaw

Banned
Did you seriously want them to take out the fire emblem representative, who has been in 2 now 3 smashes now, for a person thats only going to be in one game, and that person's gimmick was that she looked like marth AS A SELLING POINT, what is smash to you?

A button mashy character brawl game that's fun with groups of people. People who take it too seriously need to chill out.

JoeM86

They can broaden their partnership without arbitrarily throwing in ridiculous characters just because they're Namco.

Very very few Namco characters have the appeal/power of Nintendo ones, Sonic or Mega man. At best, you have Pac Man, and he wouldn't fit without being the horrific modern day variation, and then that still would be horrible.

Anth0ny

Character selection for this game is so conservative and boring.

what exactly do you want? what major characters are there that Brawl missed? Waluigi?

I'm happy they aren't going with the Brawl approach to revealing characters. The characters they saved for the final game were like... Jigglypuff. Captain Falcon. Falco. I'd rather they leave some surprises for the final game than blow their load on the Dojo again, creating impossibly high expectations along the way.

Neiteio

They can broaden their partnership without arbitrarily throwing in ridiculous characters just because they're Namco.

Very very few Namco characters have the appeal/power of Nintendo ones, Sonic or Mega man. At best, you have Pac Man, and he wouldn't fit without being the horrific modern day variation, and then that still would be horrible.
Pac-Man's latest redesign removes the teeth and looks great:

wwMqLCe.png

Definitely deserving, too. He's an arcade icon, universally recognizable, great-granddaddy of the videogame industry. He's Namco's mascot, and he appeared in Pac-Man Vs. (the WiiU prototype, in effect), both Mario Kart Arcade GPs, and the critically acclaimed Championship Editions and Battle Royale.

Shame his collections were cancelled for both Nintendo systems. But if he's still in, he would be awesome -- dribbling like a basketball, flinging forward like a human cannonball, tucking in his limbs to chomp through the air with 90-degree turns, spitting out pellets like watermelon seeds or belching up ghosts, chomping down on foes, etc.

Yuripaw

Banned
What slot? Do people make these things up? Heard in dreams or sub conciously I dont understand..

Common sense...You can roughly get an idea of how many characters will be in the game based on previous entries, and what is reasonable to expect a developer to be able to plan and develop for the game. Smash Brow Brawl had 35 characters, and we've already gotten 22 announced for this new game. Only 4 of which are newcomers.

kankki

Senior Project Lead, NX Hardware Design at Nintendo of Europe
Pokemon characters, meh.

Did they take the model straight from Brawl? Sure looks like it to me!

hidden06_080228c-l.jpg

screen-2.jpg

Top Bottom