• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lucario confirmed for Super Smash Brothers Wii U/3DS

JoeM86

screen-8.jpg

Hmm, this was Lucario's sleep animation in Brawl. And only one character could inflict that.

B E L I E V E !

Togepi with Metronome? Bellossom with Sleep Powder? :p

Common sense...You can roughly get an idea of how many characters will be in the game based on previous entries, and what is reasonable to expect a developer to be able to plan and develop for the game. Smash Brow Brawl had 35 characters, and we've already gotten 22 announced for this new game. Only 4 of which are newcomers.
Lmao based on past entries... with an S. "common sense"...

PLEASE STOP RUINING MY DREAMS THANK YOU

But seriously, I doubt we'll see a return of the melee pokemon. I don't know why, just a hunch.

bon

This is Smash Bros man. This isn't some third party mashup fighter full of characters nobody cares about. Every character is subject of fierce debate and scrutiny. For people who play on Nintendo systems, they're the most important characters in all of video gaming. You can't just choose a bunch of random characters that nobody has heard about. You have to hit all of the bases.

Also, nobody cares about Namco.

I'd be okay with Klonoa, or maybe Pac-Man as long as it's not the one from the new cartoon.

Squirrel-Nooo.png

I want my Mewtwo!

Edit:

Jiggly has been in every Smash game, I see no reason for her to not be back.

You know, I hate her with a passion, but somehow, I alsways end up using her sometimes, and Jigglypuff is one character I don't want removed. Nostalgia?

Neiteio

Common sense...You can roughly get an idea of how many characters will be in the game based on previous entries, and what is reasonable to expect a developer to be able to plan and develop for the game. Smash Brow Brawl had 35 characters, and we've already gotten 22 announced for this new game. Only 4 of which are newcomers.
Melee had 26 characters, many of them clones, and jumped to 39 characters (spanning 35 slots) in Brawl.

They started work on SSB4 by porting over Brawl in its entirety. Sakurai went on the record about this.

It would seem relatively simple to retain all of Brawl's characters, add in Mewtwo as they had originally planned with Brawl (as we know from leftover data on disk), and then they're free to spend the bulk of dev time adding new characters.

I can easily see the game exceeding 50 characters.

Forkball

He had a prominent appearance in XY so this is expected. I would like to see the XY starters get in though since they are all anthropomorphic.

Melee had 26 characters, many of them clones, and jumped to 39 characters (spanning 35 slots) in Brawl.

They started work on SSB4 by porting over Brawl in its entirety. Sakurai went on the record about this.

It would seem relatively simple to retain all of Brawl's characters, add in Mewtwo as they had originally planned with Brawl (as we know from leftover data on disk), and then they're free to spend the bulk of dev time adding new characters.

Dont forget DLC. even Ninty can see that DLC would be okay for smash.

bon

I might be mistaken but I recall Sakurai saying Smash 4 will have about the same roster size as Brawl.

Terrell

The only ones saltier than Mewtwo fans are Palutena fans.
Told you Sakurai was trolling. #TeamFake all the way.

I still think Mewtwo has a shot. We'll see.

The only ones saltier than Mewtwo fans are The Palutena fans.
Told you Sakurai was trolling. #TeamFake all the way.

I still think Mewtwo has a shot. We'll see.

How are Palutena fans "salty"? Hahah all I saw was rejoicing with all of Sakurais posts this week.

Palutena fans will be salty when they have no more hope.
which will be never.

I might be mistaken but I recall Sakurai saying Smash 4 will have about the same roster size as Brawl.

That was a bad translation of what he originally said that got perpetuated by the community and never really went away (as evidenced by your post, no rudeness intended).

kirblar

With Pokken coming down the pike, I would think it unlikely that we'd have a totally new Pokemon entrant this cycle.

Kenai

Glad to see him back, he was my alt in Brawl. Really fun mechanics and smooth to play as, hope they retain that.

Neiteio

Can I get a link to where he said that?
I'm trying to find the story. I recall Sakurai stating that before development began in earnest, what sounded like a preliminary team kicked things off by porting Brawl to the WiiU, at least. It was around the same time (probably even the same story) where Sakurai started talking about how balance would be handled. At the time, I think he said others would balance it, but he's since changed his tune there.

Box

I'd suggest you all prepare for a roster size <40. Sakurai has already mentioned that the roster size is limited by the 3DS version and that they wouldn't even be able to keep all of the characters from previous games.

Also, Nintendo probably can't find another dozen relevant new characters without getting into Waluigi territory.

JoeM86

With Pokken coming down the pike, I would think it unlikely that we'd have a totally new Pokemon entrant this cycle.

The thing is, there aren't that many new Pokémon in the new generation, and only a few from last one that would fit in this.

However, this happened

megalucario.png
mewtwox.png
mewtwo.png

Which changes things somewhat. I would be very surprised if Mega Lucario is not the final smash.

Pappasman

I'm trying to find the story. I recall Sakurai stating that before development began in earnest, what sounded like a preliminary team kicked things off by porting Brawl to the WiiU, at least. It was around the same time (probably even the same story) where Sakurai started talking about how balance would be handled. At the time, I think he said others would balance it, but he's since changed his tune there.

hmm... If that's true and 4 was built off of a port of Brawl's engine I'm going to be pretty disappointed.

I really hope 4 feels different than Brawl.

People who think Lucario being in somehow means Mewtwo won't be in make me laugh.

Nice to see another Pokemon rep confirmed! And it's interesting how Lucario was their choice for the second reveal. I wonder if that means that Pokemon Trainer is cut or revised somewhat?

kirblar

People who think Lucario being in somehow means Mewtwo won't be in make me laugh.

Nice to see another Pokemon rep confirmed! And it's interesting how Lucario was their choice for the second reveal. I wonder if that means that Pokemon Trainer is cut or revised somewhat?
I wonder if that character's even doable on 3DS.

bon

That was a bad translation of what he originally said that got perpetuated by the community and never really went away (as evidenced by your post, no rudeness intended).

Ah, that's good to hear. I'm not as concerned about who should or shouldn't be cut anymore.

Lucario wasn't the only one who got a Mega Evolution, so I don't think Mewtwo fans should lose hope just yet. The only conundrum... Mega Mewtwo X or Mega Mewtwo Y?!

I'm really really pumped to see that Lucario remains in the game. He was one of my favorites in Brawl. And his aura got buffed? That's just excellent, really complements the risk vs reward intent of the character. I do hope that the lack of newcomers is just because they're playing a bunch close to the vest, though.

I'd suggest you all prepare for a roster size <40. Sakurai has already mentioned that the roster size is limited by the 3DS version and that they wouldn't even be able to keep all of the characters from previous games.

Also, Nintendo probably can't find another dozen relevant new characters without getting into Waluigi territory.

I swear this "reached our limit" has become the new "up until now".

No, I'm confident we'll see more than just the 39 threshold there was with Brawl. A 3DS cartridge is capable of holding the same mount of data as Brawl's disc, and considering Sakurai isn't spending half of his resources developing a bloated single player mode (go read some stories about the compression issues with Subspace Emissary), with possibly a larger team; he will have no problem adding more characters.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
People, people, people, why are you worried? Sugimori left messages.

j2kve97s2V6Qe.jpg

Because he's the poster child for the furry community. Mewtwo is better in every conceivable way.

Didn't know Japanese kids are furries. You people are like the worst, focusing on a narrow selection because it's the "popularity" you see but not the wider, mass appealing one.

Honest question. Why do people like this character?

His debut movie has him unique enough to have a heroic character. In DPPt his egg is given in a sidequest. Merchandising. Hooked up kids, etc.

The thing is, there aren't that many new Pokémon in the new generation, and only a few from last one that would fit in this.

However, this happened

megalucario.png
mewtwox.png
mewtwo.png

Which changes things somewhat. I would be very surprised if Mega Lucario is not the final smash.

Poor Mewtwo. Look how ugly his Mega Evos are next to Lucario's. No wonder the fanboys are salty.

Cool. Glad to see another character returning. I never used Lucario, but obviously he has a lot of fans and it's great to see them happy, so count me in as one that's down with the mack.

Honest question. Why do people like this character?

Furry.

... Not "hating" or trying to be funny, it's well known that the furry fan base in the Pokemon fandom runs deep and Lucario stuck a strong note with them.

Anyway, this doesn't mean Mewtwo is a no go nor does it mean we're not getting a 6th genner rep. My money's on Sylveon.

Furry.

... Not "hating" or trying to be funny, it's well known that the furry fan base in the Pokemon fandom runs deep and Lucario stuck a strong note with them.

Anyway, this doesn't mean Mewtwo is a no go nor does it mean we're not getting a 6th genner rep. My money's on Sylveon.

jags.gif

Box

I swear this "reached our limit" has become the new "up until now".

No, I'm confident we'll see more than just the 39 threshold there was with Brawl. A 3DS cartridge is capable of holding the same mount of data as Brawl's disc, and considering Sakurai isn't spending half of his resources developing a bloated single player mode (go read some stories about the compression issues with Subspace Emissary), with possibly a larger team; he will have no problem adding more characters.

You don't know any better than I do. I got the right translation. I still think it's going to be a small roster. Sakurai stated that the 3DS was limiting when it came to characters. Furthermore, we know that there will be cuts and when you combine that with the fact that there probably aren't a bunch of great characters left at this point to replace them AND add several more, I think a smaller roster is a definite possibility. I don't know if it's really going to be <40 but I wouldn't rule it out.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Why do people insist on "furry"?

Why do people forget that Pokemon is very big in Japan towards KIDS? You know, the fans?!

JoeM86

Why do people insist on "furry"?

Why do people forget that Pokemon is very big in Japan towards KIDS? You know, the fans?!

It's very big everywhere. X & Y sold 11.61 million units in 2 and a half months. That's more than all but 3 Xbox 360 games and all but 1 Playstation 3 games have ever done.

Top Bottom