• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lucas arts classics coming to Gamepass

If Microsoft realllllllly wanted to start a catalog, all it has to do is essentially adopt all PC game's reaching back to the early 90's and then forward for gamepass, which I'm sure is a considerably cheaper task than many may realize. Imagine, GamePass suddenly support's all retro PC game's made in the 90's (maybe even from the 80's) up to 2020. That's an nigh unbeatable back catalog of games.

turtlepowa

Banned
If Microsoft realllllllly wanted to start a catalog, all it has to do is essentially adopt all PC game's reaching back to the early 90's and then forward for gamepass, which I'm sure is a considerably cheaper task than many may realize. Imagine, GamePass suddenly support's all retro PC game's made in the 90's (maybe even from the 80's) up to 2020. That's an nigh unbeatable back catalog of games.
Yeah, but what about the time and money to make all those games work with controllers? Planet Coaster took them many months.

Yeah, but what about the time and money to make all those games work with controllers? Planet Coaster took them many months.
Undoubtedly, it'd take a lot of effort just to get the games to run - but I assume no more effort than it took to get Backward compatibility to work on Xbox, it is the only console that support's it's entire catalog after all... and that's really due to I think rebuilding some of the game's where and when needed if automation cannot handle certain aspect's of design. Just looking at some of the very old Xbox 1 Titles now supported on OneX/SeriesX - some of those asset's have had more polygon's added, look thicker and more robust than before. So some of the game's have improvement's beyond simple resolution boost's with high framerates and less pop in. The original Star Wars Battlefront on Xbox -in backwards compatibility on Xbox One X - the asset's look almost completely different in some cases, as if another level of subdivision has been added or... perhaps even the model's have been reworked/re-topologized. Which is insane to me, and must be a costly thing to undertake.

The Storm Troopers In Battlefront Enhanced seem to have more polygon's

Enhanced

Original

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
Undoubtedly, it'd take a lot of effort just to get the games to run - but I assume no more effort than it took to get Backward compatibility to work on Xbox, it is the only console that support's it's entire catalog after all... and that's really due to I think rebuilding some of the game's where and when needed if automation cannot handle certain aspect's of design. Just looking at some of the very old Xbox 1 Titles now supported on OneX/SeriesX - some of those asset's have had more polygon's added, look thicker and more robust than before. So some of the game's have improvement's beyond simple resolution boost's with high framerates and less pop in. The original Star Wars Battlefront on Xbox -in backwards compatibility on Xbox One X - the asset's look almost completely different in some cases, as if another level of subdivision has been added or... perhaps even the model's have been reworked/re-topologized. Which is insane to me, and must be a costly thing to undertake.
As much as i would like to play at least older Steam games on Xbox i doubt this will ever happen.

ShadowNate

All I want is a Loom remaster.
I'd settle for, no, actually much prefer an official re-release of the original EGA version with the audio drama, and maybe enhanced with voice overs. New, since the otherwise excellent voice overs for the CD version, were done with the butchered script.

And then, or simultaneously someone should sort the rights and talk with Moriarty about the sequel(s).

If Blade Runner was sorted out, Loom's case should be a walk in the park in comparison.

Agent X

I get excited about it, but then I remember they Monkey Island remakes/HD remaster and they sucked the soul out of the original games (worse animations, worse effects, etc...).
Only the first game, Secret, was bad since it was cheap and rushed. LeChucks Revenge remake was actually good outside of some character designs. LeChucks Revenge remake also has the best controller method of these games, the mouse rocker style was amazing to use.

Just to clarify, Double Fine only remade Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle, and Full Throttle from the LucasArts back catalog. The Monkey Island 1 & 2 remakes were done a few years earlier by a different developer.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Imagine being so bitter about the console wars that you're not happy a new generation of people will soon have easy access to some of the greatest adventure games ever made.

Come on, mate. Love games, not consoles.
Exactly. Most gamers have both consoles unless the are 12 or are a cheap ass. No one would be upset about this news.

zeorhymer

I had Gamepass for over a year when they did the promo. I recently unsub'd when they raised the price and I realized that I didn't play all that many games from it.

Cobenzl

This is making it hard to resist an Xbox at some point. Gabriel Knight made me desperately want to visit New Orleans when I was a kid.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Just to clarify, Double Fine only remade Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle, and Full Throttle from the LucasArts back catalog. The Monkey Island 1 & 2 remakes were done a few years earlier by a different developer.

I know, I liked their remasters :).

Top Bottom