• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lucasfilm finally announces Star Wars for Blu-ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Willy105 said:
Purple? That's pink.
It's crap is what it is :(

edit - Just watched the 720p trailer from Yahoo and it isn't really that pink/purple. Does not really look like that screenshot.

tehbible

if they add a lot of post processing in this, I'm gonna be pissed.

Nothing worst than the sapphire series blu ray sets. horribly inauthentic post processing.

All the deleted scenes fascinate me, I was sure they would have exhausted those years ago after all the other releases.

They had more just lying around?

Medalion

Banned
To line up continuity

Anakin chopped off Windu's hand, he went back down to the ground and took his purple lightsaber

Omg, the rhyming!

XMonkey said:
It's crap is what it is :(

edit - Just watched the 720p trailer from Yahoo and it isn't really that pink/purple. Does not really look like that screenshot.
Also could be due to the compression they use. I'm just waiting to get some reviews of these in the wild.

I'm so pissed I'm moving away to school from a beautiful 50" plasma/surround sound setup only a couple weeks before these come out :(

Xamdou

Star Wars: The Complete Saga popped up in my Amazon Goldbox for $85.49 a couple of days ago, so of course I had to jump on it!

The original and prequel trilogies both have the best blu-ray cover art compared to the Complete saga cover... sigh...

Anth0ny

oh hey guys

in case you wanted to buy these just for the special features

FUCK YOU

-George Lucas

Adywan (of A New Hope: Revisited fame) just got a message from a source of his:

Ady

After your recent conversations with [deleted] i was asked to contact you because i have a little more knowledge on this subject.

I do know that there have been some minor color alterations but i cannot comment on the extent because this was not my department.

The original special feature documentaries will only be on the final disc in the complete saga collection. These, however, could only be presented in standard definition. While there are copies of 16mm prints for these documentaries, there was no green light given to use these for the source of the special features. Instructions were given to find the digital masters which were used for the original release versions. I am unsure if these were the same used for the VHS or laserdisc copies but a colleague informed me that these masters were produced in the 1980's or 1990's (although i cannot confirm this). As far as i am aware no post production work was done on these masters to prepare them for the Blu-Ray collection. Having seen [deleted] at [deleted] there seems to be some issues with digital artefacts caused by the interlaced source used and from the original digital conversion. The same procedure was used for some deleted scenes seen in the Empire of Dreams documentary as these scenes were also taken from older digital copies.

Jesus, it's 2006 all over again. The special feature documentaries are god damn laser disc rips. Unreal.

I hope at least the deleted scenes aren't treated like this.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
un-bought these...maybe when he finally dies we'll get a proper release from the estate...

doubtful though.

jaxword

wenis said:
un-bought these...maybe when he finally dies we'll get a proper release from the estate...

doubtful though.

Are you kidding? When he dies, his heirs will make Episodes 7 8 9 and anything else that makes money .

wenis

I like to imagine that there is someone in the Lucas family that wants to see the fans get proper releases of his films, but they're like the black sheep of the family and they can't do anything about it until he is dead and in the ground.

All they do now is bide their time...waiting for the right moment and planning.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
wenis said:

It's highly likely he'll have something in his will that prevents anything but the most recent versions of the Special Editions from being released/shown.

Medalion

Banned
PhoncipleBone said:
I will wait until there is official confirmation before being mad.
Blu-ray releases with SD special features are not a rarity

Gotta find a way to hook us next time for the next format change

Medalion said:
Blu-ray releases with SD special features are not a rarity

Gotta find a way to hook us next time for the next format change

I know they are not a rarity, but the source of the news is questionable.

Medalion said:
To line up continuity

Anakin chopped off Windu's hand, he went back down to the ground and took his purple lightsaber

Omg, the rhyming!
But Windu's lightsaber flew out the window.

It's okay, you probably didn't notice because it was the only time in the prequels when there wasn't a lightsaber-falling reaction shot.

Medalion

Banned
Aaron Strife said:
But Windu's lightsaber flew out the window.

It's okay, you probably didn't notice because it was the only time in the prequels when there wasn't a lightsaber-falling reaction shot.
Yeah but when it flew out the window it eventually fell to the ground of Coruscant, Anakin went down and found it using the Force and claimed it for his own

Medalion said:
Yeah but when it flew out the window it eventually fell to the ground of Coruscant, Anakin went down and found it using the Force and claimed it for his own
I like to think Jarjar picked it up and was trained in the ways of the Force, and ultimately founded the rebellion against the Galactic Empire.

Star Wars 7 will be a midquel about that.

Medalion

Banned
Aaron Strife said:
I like to think Jarjar picked it up and was trained in the ways of the Force, and ultimately founded the rebellion against the Galactic Empire.

Star Wars 7 will be a midquel about that.
Jar Jar teamed up with Starkiller

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Anth0ny said:
In case there was any doubt that they'd be using the shitty 2004 DVD transfers... here's a screen cap from the 2004 DVD:

IMG

there is clearly a glitch at the bottom of the frame.

Here's a screencap from SDCC of the blu ray:

IMG

Yup. Chances of buying this just dropped from 5% to 0. Maybe someday when it's in the bargain bin...

Unacceptable. And I'm not even joking. This is unacceptable. If you expect your customers to pay for your product, the product better be pristine.

mrkgoo

neorej said:
Unacceptable. And I'm not even joking. This is unacceptable. If you expect your customers to pay for your product, the product better be pristine.

Meh, I think it's ok to make the odd blunder.

HOWEVER, if you're expecting a customer to pay for the 17th time...

segasonic

Lucas is already planning a remake of the original trilogy in 3D starring Shia LeBoeuf as Luke Skywalker, Ben Affleck as Han Solo and Kirsten Dunst as Princess Leia. All the sets, androids and aliens will be entirely CGI.

antonz

The problem with this set coming out now is 100% guarantee of a new set next year or 2013. Starting in February they are gonna be rereleasing the movies in 3D in theaters.

So next will be the Ultra Blu Ray set in 3D etc

Medalion

Banned
antonz said:
The problem with this set coming out now is 100% guarantee of a new set next year or 2013. Starting in February they are gonna be rereleasing the movies in 3D in theaters.

3D re-release in theatres first, 3D version on Blu-ray

Yep sounds like Lucasfilm

PokéKong

B.K. said:
By far the worst change in the 2004 Special Editions:

Comparison_of_digital_manipulation_of_spirit_scene.jpg

Agreed. But I also agree with all the reasoning supporting the change, it just makes too much darn reasonable sense for all the youngsters who started with the prequels.
I would be able to bend over and accept it, if it just weren't for one of Christensen's most awkward performances out of the entire saga, and all he had to do was STAND THERE and look somewhat respectful.

I'd be for Lucus reshooting that one shot, if that's what it takes. It's kinda wishful thinking, but I wouldn't put it past Lucus to revise something yet again. Maybe age him a bit too.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
I heard they used test footage of Hayden for that bit and it wasn't filmed specifically for the scene. Would explain the absolutely terrible eyeline match.

Medalion

Banned
XMonkey said:
I heard they used test footage of Hayden for that bit and it wasn't filmed specifically for the scene. Would explain the absolutely terrible eyeline match.
Hayden was interviewed saying that that was just test footage of him wearing the outfit but he had no idea it was being used for ROTJ

mrkgoo

XMonkey said:

To be fair Yoda is off in LaLa land as well.

Hmm, actually, he looks more real than Hayden.

Medalion said:
Hayden was interviewed saying that that was just test footage of him wearing the outfit but he had no idea it was being used for ROTJ
It's not even his body here, it's still Sebastian Shaw's. They could have found a better shot of Hayden's head to insert :(

Sapiens

George Lucas: Trolling Star Wars fans for decades and getting away with it because you keep on buying.

Why appease the fans? They'll buy it begrudgingly, but they will buy it.

Anth0ny

Oh yeah I can't wait until George Lucas bites the dust. Maybe his daughter Katie will take over:

"haters gonna hate. And then haters are going to buy the bluray set and keep complaining."

Note: I am not going to argue with ANYONE about the prequels today, on MAY THE 4TH I MIGHT ADD, or on any other day for that matter. The prequels have been made. They exist. There is literally nothing you can do or say to make them go away. They may not be your cup of tea, but let's remember: YOU can choose not to watch them! You can pretend like they don't even exist! But being angry about it forever is going to accomplish nothing. Neither is being disrespectful. My father has done absolutely nothing to earn disrespectful tirades and personal attacks. He is a good man. He is not an evil genius plotting to ruin your life. You are entitled to your own opinions--whatever they may be, but be respectful about it. He may have made three movies you personally didn't care about, but he was also responsible for three movies that inspired you and millions of others. So, do him and I the courtesy of having a little goddamn respect.

Films that we don't seem to be getting on Blu Ray any time soon.

wenis

I'm still proud that I haven't actually bought any of the home video releases for the star wars films...

I'm not going to be starting now either.

Anth0ny said:
Oh yeah I can't wait until George Lucas bites the dust. Maybe his daughter Katie will take over

From the CW series, so far the episodes she has written have been some of the best episodes.... wouldn't mind seeing her possibly take the helm for the franchise.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I'm so glad they fixed the crossed lightsabers gaffe in ROTJ.

And I always thought Vader's saber was magenta colored in all the versions of ESB I've seen.

Alright, back to your regularly scheduled Lucas bitchfest.

Morn

Banned
antonz said:

Over SIX YEARS. 2012 is Ep1, 2013 is Ep2, 2014 is Ep3, etc. All six won't be in 3D until 2017!

UrbanRats

PokéKong said:
Agreed. But I also agree with all the reasoning supporting the change, it just makes too much darn reasonable sense for all the youngsters who started with the prequels.
Not really.
See Lucas or whoever, said that a Jedi becomes a "ghost", in the form of the last time he was on the "lightside".
Therefore ok, we have Anakin before turning to Palpatine, before turning to the darkside... but wait, this means that he wasn't really redeemed at the end of ROTJ? He wasn't really back from the darkside? So the whole Luke's quest, the whole fucking point of the movie, was meaningless?

I can really see no logic explanation, to not have Sebastian Shaw in there, aside from the marketing ones.

Tedesco!

Morn said:
Over SIX YEARS. 2012 is Ep1, 2013 is Ep2, 2014 is Ep3, etc. All six won't be in 3D until 2017!

Not really. George or Rick stated that if the 1st film isn't successful, they won't continue the #D transition.

Morn

Banned
UrbanRats said:
I can really see no logic explanation, to not have Sebastian Shaw in there, aside from the marketing ones.

Man, those commercials and trailers showing Hayden in ROTJ were so awesome. Oh wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom