• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon |OT| Take ghost-busting to the Next Level

Oersted

7K8fQ2n.png

Me too xD.

Ok, I tried it with my 3DS and my XL. Answer is definitely no. You have two different options for multiplayer with multiple cards and multiplayer with only one, but the options afterwards are exactly the same. That being said, all consoles have to be updated with the latest firmware (V 4.5.0-10E in Europe), to be able to play.

Also, the people DLing the game can continue playing after the host quitted, can quit the game and even go play online with friends (or the rest of the world), or create another local game to play with people that have it or that have DL the multiplayer demo.

Wow, I'm just discovering that and... Nintendo as done an *awesome* job with their multiplayer, as far as one card play is concerned !!

tl/dr : Once you have DLed the game with DL mode, you can play the totality of the multiplayer, as long as you don't quit the game. The only thing you can't do is allow other people to DL it if you don't have the card, which is common sense.

That sounds too good to be true. Can the downloaded part actually just connect online without a cart?

XenodudeX

I expect the multiplayer to be pretty bare bones or just bad overall. This is a single player game first and foremost in my eyes.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
this is such a strange question to me. Isn't the multiplayer incentive enough? XD

Maybe I'm old fashioned.
It is, but I thought you earned coins or something, so I was curious if they're used for anything.

I expect the multiplayer to be pretty bare bones or just bad overall. This is a single player game first and foremost in my eyes.
This too, and today persistent aspects are usually indicative of whether any considerable work went into the MP, since its been proven again and again to give the most effective feedback loop to gamers.

DaBoss

That review has me seriously excited. I knew Next-Level would be able to do a great job with the game! Here's hoping that this leads to Nintendo partnering with them more often!

In the meantime, would anyone be willing to hat my avatar? :)

oKhZIuL.png

zroid

Banned
This too, and today persistent aspects are usually indicative of whether any considerable work went into the MP, since its been proven again and again to give the most effective feedback loop to gamers.

Well, this is Nintendo we're talking about. They don't play by the rules of the era. I can't tell you the multiplayer will be worthwhile, but from what I've seen it looks fairly impressive. And, despite being PR Approved™, Miyamoto himself said they wouldn't put in this multiplayer mode if it weren't at least as compelling as Mario Kart 7's. So take from that what you will.

noffles

Banned
Ooo er. Guess I won't use them then, haha

Nah, they're alright now. Just use paypal to pay if you're worried about them. They're actually quite good for getting you stuff early. I got a Crack in Time 5 days early from them.

For some reason, they tend to send stock as soon as they have it unless they're explicitly told otherwise by publishers.

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
Ooo er. Guess I won't use them then, haha

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504187

See OP:
Why will you not let me post links to ShopTo you twat. They have good deals too you know?
In 2008, ShopTo had some problems that led to some of their customer's credit card details leaking out. This was never proven, but some people, including some Gaffer's had credit card problems around the time of the supposed leak, and swear ShopTo were the cause – some of these people had credit cards ONLY used on that site. ShopTo quickly fixed the flaw, and allowed PayPal to be used to make things even safer, but it was too late, and the site’s url got banned from NeoGAF. ShopTo deals are still posted at times, but without a link. It seems no one has had any big problems with the site recently, and ShopTo can now, more or less, be considered safe to buy from, you just have to navigate there yourself.

Cheers for that, Capell. I really should keep more of an eye on that thread.

Nah, they're alright now. Just use paypal to pay if you're worried about them. They're actually quite good for getting you stuff early. I got a Crack in Time 5 days early from them.

For some reason, they tend to send stock as soon as they have it unless they're explicitly told otherwise by publishers.

Hmm, well the price difference isn't so drastic, so I'll just pick it up at retail.

Nintendo games aren't cheap. D:

Manmedaz

So.. is there any incentive to play multiplayer? Any unlocks, currency you earn, etc. or is it purely leaderboard attack and matchmaking and nothing more?

You have three different modes with different rules (Hunt, Sprint and Tracking), you can choose to play 5, 10 or 25 levels, and among three different level of difficulty, depending on your skill and the number of players. Each combination has a personal record field.

Then, when you go in your vault, you can check the different type of ghost you've caught. For the multiplayer mode, there are 48 different empty squares. I've seen nothing else as far as multiplayer goes, I've yet to play a game with someone else, but I'll tell you more if I find something out :).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Well, this is Nintendo we're talking about. They don't play by the rules of the era. I can't tell you the multiplayer will be worthwhile, but from what I've seen it looks fairly impressive. And, despite being PR Approved™, Miyamoto himself said they wouldn't put in this multiplayer mode if it weren't at least as compelling as Mario Kart 7's. So take from that what you will.
Well then, I sort of trust Miyamoto because he usually has an Occam's Razor approach to game design, and I understand adding multiplayer to a SP franchise probably holds extra gravity at Nintendo. We'll see when it comes out. Thanks!

You have three different modes with different rules (Hunt, Sprint and Tracking), you can choose to play 5, 10 or 25 levels, and among three different level of difficulty, depending on your skill and the number of players. Each combination has a personal record field.

Then, when you go in your vault, you can check the different type of ghost you've caught. For the multiplayer mode, there are 48 different empty squares. I've seen nothing else as far as multiplayer goes, I've yet to play a game with someone else, but I'll tell you more if I find something out :).
Oh god.. A collectathon... My knees are suddenly weak.. I'm a sucker for those :( This sounds like what will do me in. Thanks!

Do you know anything about StreetPass functionality?

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I'm not sure on the feasibility of Luigi-fying The Tick. If it's possible, I know some here can do it though...

Man, I don't know how I'm gonna handle all the greatness coming out over the next week.

I think Kid Icarus spoiled us as the multiplayer was completely integrated into the single player in the way that you could earn hearts and loot, then use them in the main campaign.

Absolutely cannot wait to play this game. It's funny, because when it was announced I really didn't care much about it. Trailers didn't impress me and overall I didn't look into it too much until earlier 2012, ever since then I've been absolutely floored by the footage I've seen and all the things I've been hearing from interviews and such. The gameplay looks so fun and creative, this just might be another awesome 3DS game.

Yes. I tried it :). I even played with myself through the internet, as I was the only one online :p.

This is very, very good news. I think Download Play should always be made an option if possible, and the fact it was locked to one character and half the tracks on games like Mario Kart DS annoyed me greatly. Me and my two 3DS owning brothers are going to have a blast on this.

Hopefully it will be able to replace NSMB's minigames as Download Play king!

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Yes. I tried it :). I even played with myself through the internet, as I was the only one online :p.

So what you are saying is that I can download this onto my GF 3DS and all she has to do is leave it in sleep mode when she is not using it and she basically gets a free copy of online multiplayer to play? (until obviously she exites to the menu and closes the program.

If so that is freaking amazing!.

XaosWolf

I thought there was an "Endless" option? Please tell me that that is indeed there.
Was gonna be all up in that bitch. /=,

Wow.....that's fantastic. Exactly what I wanted to hear.

I hope you'll be able to see when friends are playing online through the friends list as well like in Mario Kart an Kid Icarus.

Kouriozan

I thought there was an "Endless" option? Please tell me that that is indeed there.
Was gonna be all up in that bitch. /=,

There was a note in the Nintendo Direct or that multiplayer video telling that endless mode and another one has to be unlocked.

Manmedaz

Well then, I sort of trust Miyamoto because he usually has an Occam's Razor approach to game design, and I understand adding multiplayer to a SP franchise probably holds extra gravity at Nintendo. We'll see when it comes out. Thanks!

Oh god.. A collectathon... My knees are suddenly weak.. I'm a sucker for those :( This sounds like what will do me in. Thanks!

Do you know anything about StreetPass functionality?

There seem to be none.

Also, the gold you gather in multiplayer is transfered to your single player game. Knowing that it is like XP and allow you to get better equipment in SP, I can see that beeing helpful. That being said, I only gathered like 40G in 15 minutes of single player MP (yes, that's the good thing about it to, 1 to 4 players can play this mode :]).

About those saying that it is barebone, I don't have this feeling. I can see it being really challenging, you have 3 different set of rules, and the floors has several rooms (like 8 or 9). As far as I have played, it's always the same level, but the ghosts become stronger each time. It reminds me a bit of that tower mode in this LOTR Hack and Slash made after the 2nd movie (if I recall well).

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Ok, I tried it with my 3DS and my XL. Answer is definitely no. You have two different options for multiplayer with multiple cards and multiplayer with only one, but the options afterwards are exactly the same. That being said, all consoles have to be updated with the latest firmware (V 4.5.0-10E in Europe), to be able to play.

Also, the people DLing the game can continue playing after the host quitted, can quit the game and even go play online with friends (or the rest of the world), or create another local game to play with people that have it or that have DL the multiplayer demo.

Wow, I'm just discovering that and... Nintendo as done an *awesome* job with their multiplayer, as far as one card play is concerned !!

tl/dr : Once you have DLed the game with DL mode, you can play the totality of the multiplayer, as long as you don't quit the game. The only thing you can't do is allow other people to DL it if you don't have the card, which is common sense.

Wow. Next Level pulling out all the stops on this one. Sounds fucking awesome. Perfect for my cheap friends who won't buy the game until their next paychecks. This is gonna be so damn sweet.

Top Bottom