• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon |OT| Take ghost-busting to the Next Level

zroid

Banned
Quite a short review but highlights:
  • Mansions have been evolved significantly
  • The intimacy of the original Luigi's Mansion remains
  • Everything has been improved from level variation to the quality of the puzzles
  • Mechanics have been evolved, with Luigi able to capture multiple ghost at once
  • While repetitive combat can sometimes grate in puzzle-centric games, Luigi's mansion gets it right
  • Not only one of the most wonderful games to grace the system, but also one of the prettiest.
  • "Next Level has found a way to return gamers to the world of Luigi's Mansion in a way that manages to retain its predecessor's wonderful charm, and not only that but it does so in a way that doesn't take the technical and mechanical aspects for granted. More perfectly than they could have hoped, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon fully executes Nintendo's original vision."
9/10 "Shows that prehistoric Mario how it's done"

c6249_ORIG-jack_nicholson_nodding.gif

Quite a short review but highlights:
  • Mansions have been evolved significantly
  • The intimacy of the original Luigi's Mansion remains
  • Everything has been improved from level variation to the quality of the puzzles
  • Mechanics have been evolved, with Luigi able to capture multiple ghost at once
  • While repetitive combat can sometimes grate in puzzle-centric games, Luigi's mansion gets it right
  • Not only one of the most wonderful games to grace the system, but also one of the prettiest.
  • "Next Level has found a way to return gamers to the world of Luigi's Mansion in a way that manages to retain its predecessor's wonderful charm, and not only that but it does so in a way that doesn't take the technical and mechanical aspects for granted. More perfectly than they could have hoped, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon fully executes Nintendo's original vision."
9/10 "Shows that prehistoric Mario how it's done"

Uh wow, that is a stellar review. Luigi in March, Fire Emblem in April oh my gaaaawd D:

seady

12 years and I still don't understand the hate for Luigi's Mansion. I adore that game at Gamecube's launch.

zroid

Banned
In fairness, the original was a very short and easy game -- I think it's aged well because it was so inventive and there's still nothing else quite like it.

XaosWolf

Man I cannot wait for this game! =D

Never understood any of the hate for the original. Guess it's along the same vein as the hate for Wind Waker.

On a related note... I need a hat.

Kouichi

I thought the only problem with Luigi's Mansion was its length. I think the hate came from it not being a platformer.

Phazon

Did somebody say: Luigi hats for everyone? (pwetty plz ^^)

Really looking forward to this one. Normally a long development isn't very good for a game, but with Nintendo it almost always results in gems.

Kouriozan

Yeah the first Luigi's Mansion was way too short and by the end I wanted more.
This one looks like it's packed with content :)

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Good times playing the first one upon release. Hopefully Dark Moon can deliver the same type of magic.

Diman

Great OT.
I just cannot wait for this game. I'm so hyped!

Can some fellow gaffer give my avatar a luigi hat?

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Have they said if download play with another 3DS without the game will be missing features? I'm buying my GF a 3dsXL just to play this with her.

Kouichi

Which is just as weak a complaint as the "Not Mario" one though.
Some people and their wrong opinions. =P

Yeah, it was stupid. The fact that there was no Mario platformer at launch and the only Mario-related game was some ghostbusters type game, must have angered some. When I was young, I was hyped because Luigi finally got his own game! I also loved the Ghostbusters.

Manmedaz

Have they said if download play with another 3DS without the game will be missing features? I'm buying my GF a 3dsXL just to play this with her.

Haven't tried it yet, but from the digital manual I'd say no. I'll confirm/infirm it in a minute.

XaosWolf

Oh yes, it's dumb. I was just saying, the "it's not Mario! Give me Mario!" was a big thing behind the hate.

And then them same people probably hated Sunshine. =D

Any chance of getting a Luigi hat too? Maybe a Waluigi hat... but his year is probably up next.

Luigi87

Nice OT.

Most anticipated game for me, and the longest pre-order I've ever had.
I didn't choose to be Luigi87 for nothing.

Madao

Hat me yo.

Oh yes, it's dumb. I was just saying, the "it's not Mario! Give me Mario!" was a big thing behind the hate.

to be fair, that was an age when 2D Mario was on indefinite break and the last new mainline game was Mario 64. i'm sure a lot of people were dying for a new mainline mario.

nowadays? people got their 3D Mario fix and are sick of 2D Mario already. LM is like perfect now.

TreIII

Can't wait for this.

In MP, I definitely plan to be rocking Pinkigi/Pinkcenzo/Fabuigi. It's not quite the Pink Palette I usually rock for him in Smash, but it'll certainly do here!

Speaking of which, I wonder if the next Smash game will finally have Luigi cite more of his Mansion stuff within his moveset. The fact that he still had no Poltergust-related moves by Brawl's timeframe was criminal, and would only be more so by Smash 4!

Manmedaz

Ok, I tried it with my 3DS and my XL. Answer is definitely no. You have two different options for multiplayer with multiple cards and multiplayer with only one, but the options afterwards are exactly the same. That being said, all consoles have to be updated with the latest firmware (V 4.5.0-10E in Europe), to be able to play.

Also, the people DLing the game can continue playing after the host quitted, can quit the game and even go play online with friends (or the rest of the world), or create another local game to play with people that have it or that have DL the multiplayer demo.

Wow, I'm just discovering that and... Nintendo as done an *awesome* job with their multiplayer, as far as one card play is concerned !!

tl/dr : Once you have DLed the game with DL mode, you can play the totality of the multiplayer, as long as you don't quit the game. The only thing you can't do is allow other people to DL it if you don't have the card, which is common sense.

Speaking of which, I wonder if the next Smash game will finally have Luigi cite more of his Mansion stuff within his moveset. The fact that he still had no Poltergust-related moves by Brawl's timeframe was criminal, and would only be more so by Smash 4!

It was ridiculous. FLUDD pushed people away, how much perfect sense did it make for Luigi's down B to be a Poltergust that drew enemies towards him?!

Clov

That review has me seriously excited. I knew Next-Level would be able to do a great job with the game! Here's hoping that this leads to Nintendo partnering with them more often!

In the meantime, would anyone be willing to hat my avatar? :)

XaosWolf

Once you have DLed the game with DL mode, you can play the totality of the multiplayer, as long as you don't quit the game. The only thing you can't do is allow other people to DL it if you don't have the card, which is common sense.

To put this bluntly: HOLY SHITBALLS.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Luigi's hat is so hard to fit on gumby's strange head, so I flipped it around. It now fits perfectly... XD

Happy year of Luigi guys! All this Green on St. Patrick's Day is also appropriate.

Ok, I tried it with my 3DS and my XL. Answer is definitely no. You have two different options for multiplayer with multiple cards and multiplayer with only one, but the options afterwards are exactly the same. That being said, all consoles have to be updated with the latest firmware (V 4.5.0-10E in Europe), to be able to play.

Also, the people DLing the game can continue playing after the host quitted, can quit the game and even go play online with friends (or the rest of the world), or create another local game to play with people that have it or that have DL the multiplayer demo.

Wow, I'm just discovering that and... Nintendo as done an *awesome* job with their multiplayer, as far as one card play is concerned !!

tl/dr : Once you have DLed the game with DL mode, you can play the totality of the multiplayer, as long as you don't quit the game. The only thing you can't do is allow other people to DL it if you don't have the card, which is common sense.

You answered the question I came in here to ask. Thank you!

Top Bottom