• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2 is being developed by Next Level Games

Shahadan

I completed Luigi's Mansion 7 times and would have probably more if my disc wasn't lost a few years ago.

I completed every Mario game post 64 only once and never looked back.

VerTiGo

Banned
Nintendo should pick up Next Level Games already. Their track record rivals Retro. The quality doesn't match Retro but the output does. Strikes was well received, Punchout was great, and this looks fantastic too. Much better investment then Silicon Knights, etc..

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Luigi's Mansion is a style of action adventure game that Nintendo doesn't have in any other stable; it's more than worth continuing. It's a unique game mechanic that feels natural set within its thematic presentation, too.

While suggestions for neat things that could be done with the Wii U controller have a point, Luigi is also good for the portable environment - a game about puzzle rooms, exploring each world in such self contained, bite sized chunks? That's classic portable material.

Marvie_3

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
I've played through Luigi's Mansion at least three times now.

I've been waiting for a sequel what seems like forever.
Same here. I was really excited when LM2 was announced. :D

apana

I wonder if Eurocom will work on a Nintendo IP for the 3DS? After Goldeneye Wii I think they are trustworthy.

Cool to see Nintendo hand them another series to work on. I loved Next-Level's take on Punch-Out, so I trust them completely with this project.

So yeah, this is probably my most-wanted 3DS game at the moment! The "multiple mansions" quote got me even more excited too since that will probably mean there's a good variety of level design.

Kaijima said:
While suggestions for neat things that could be done with the Wii U controller have a point, Luigi is also good for the portable environment - a game about puzzle rooms, exploring each world in such self contained, bite sized chunks? That's classic portable material.

Well said. Luigi's Mansion seems like a good fit for the 3DS given the platform's own capabilities as well.

-PXG-

Next Level eh? Confirmed to be top notch then. They have a great team. You guys have nothing to worry about.

I didn't think Nintendo had a bad E3 conference at all, but I still feel really dumb for being excited for Luigi's Mansion 2 the most. Didn't realize there were many out there besides myself that absolutely loved the original, going off how often it seems to get derived and made fun of in the gaming press.

Next-Level games making it is just extra icing on the cake. What with how fantastic Punch-Out Wii looked, I'm glad this game still has the more gothic, cartoon-y aesthetic the original had going for it rather than sticking to the more 'clean' and in my opinion kinda sterile aesthetic the main Mario games have had since New Super Mario Bros.

Also cool to see E. Gadd back in action! Only recent, 'major' Mario character worth remembering in the past ten years.

GCX

VerTiGo said:
Nintendo should pick up Next Level Games already. Their track record rivals Retro. The quality doesn't match Retro but the output does. Strikes was well received, Punchout was great, and this looks fantastic too. Much better investment then Silicon Knights, etc..
Does it matter whether Nintendo owns them or not when they seem to have a healthy and working relationship?

Same with Monster Games.

thefro

uchihasasuke said:
why is that most 3DS games are outsourced? is WiiU development really eating away nintendo's resources that badly?

at least this is a proven dev so there shouldn't be issues. as long as the game is longer than the first one and has more variety, it should be good.

Monolith: Probably a Japan/Europe-only Wii U RPG
EAD 1: Just finished Nintendogs/Cats & making Mario Kart 3DS
EAD 2: Wii Play Motion, probably Animal Crossing 3DS
EAD 3 (Zelda): Finishing Skyward Sword, probably working on HD Zelda some
EAD 4: Pikmin 3 for Wii U, probably Super Mario Mii
EAD 5: Just finished Steel Diver
Retro: Mario Kart 3DS, probably working on Wii U game
EAD Tokyo 1: Probably working on a Wii U title
EAD Tokyo 2: Super Mario
Nintendo SPD 1: Rhythm Heaven Wii (rest of this group partners with external studios)
Brownie Brown: Fantasy Life (3DS)
HAL: Kirby Wii
Intelligent Systems: Paper Mario 3DS (probably some Wii-U titles)
ND Cube: Probably making Mario Party 9
Project Sora: Kid Icarus Uprising, then Smash Brothers Wii U/3DS
NST: Seems to just make downloadable games/Mario mini stuff

So yeah, they're pretty booked.

evangd007

Next Level is very underrated. For Nintendo, these are some of the best hand outside of Japan that they could have enlisted to make Luigi's Mansion.

Cygnus X-1

thefro said:
Nintendo SPD 1: Rhythm Heaven Wii (rest of this group partners with external studios)

Still not enough when you have to support two systems at once. Nintendo needs to expand their teams.

I was very happy to see this news yesterday, and I had just been mentioning here on the forum that I was excited to see what they were up to next. They've done a fantastic job with Strikers and Punchout. This should be no different.

Leatherface

I had to do a double take when I read LM2 is getting developed. I never thought that game would get a sequel. I loved the first one though so I'm looking forward to this!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Octorockin' said:
Cool to see Nintendo hand them another series to work on. I loved Next-Level's take on Punch-Out, so I trust them completely with this project.

So yeah, this is probably my most-wanted 3DS game at the moment! The "multiple mansions" quote got me even more excited too since that will probably mean there's a good variety of level design.

Well said. Luigi's Mansion seems like a good fit for the 3DS given the platform's own capabilities as well.

People can laugh at the 3DS' 3D output all they want in these early days, but both Luigi and Super Mario 3DS show uses of the effect that is visually cool and / or useful. The 3D effects in Luigi are really great, and the lens flare that pops out in "your eyes" when you flash the light out of the screen is a brilliant touch.

3D is more useful for games, IMHO, than movies *because* of the interactivity. When things happen in 3D due to the player's actions, or the dynamic events in the game environment, it provides another level of feedback and connection with what's going on in the game.

If anyone can figure out a way to make the 3D effect "relevant" (the line of argument that cynics are fixated on right now) it's Nintendo*. They're inventive, it's their own damn platform, and they have a mission to show off the tech.

*This is developed by Next Level obviously, but we know how these tight partnership projects involve Nintendo's design input every step of the way.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This is great news and all, but what the fuck are HAL and EAD working on?

EDIT: Apparently HAL is working on the new Kirby...okay. What about EAD?

Shiggy

thefro said:

NDCube made WiiPlay Motion

GCX

Cygnus X-1 said:
Still not enough when you have to support two systems at once. Nintendo needs to expand their teams.
Nintendo has expanded most of its studios during the past few years. EAD Tokyo for example wasn't able to work on multiple projects at the same time before.

Kaijima said:
People can laugh at the 3DS' 3D output all they want in these early days, but both Luigi and Super Mario 3DS show uses of the effect that is visually cool and / or useful. The 3D effects in Luigi are really great, and the lens flare that pops out in "your eyes" when you flash the light out of the screen is a brilliant touch.

3D is more useful for games, IMHO, than movies *because* of the interactivity. When things happen in 3D due to the player's actions, or the dynamic events in the game environment, it provides another level of feedback and connection with what's going on in the game.

If anyone can figure out a way to make the 3D effect "relevant" (the line of argument that cynics are fixated on right now) it's Nintendo*. They're inventive, it's their own damn platform, and they have a mission to show off the tech.

*This is developed by Next Level obviously, but we know how these tight partnership projects involve Nintendo's design input every step of the way.

I couldn't agree more. I don't really make much of an effort to watch 3D movies, but I'm actively interested in 3D gaming for those reasons. Interaction makes a world of difference to me.

CamHostage

I really want Nintendo to open up to a worldwide studio structure or manager (kind of like what Sony has.) They've always had arms outside of their office (and of course many more games are made by local Japanese studios than people think, even Kirby and Smash Bros are not "made by Nintendo" in the sense that everybody thinks that Miyamoto breathes videogames all day long,) but they never seem to really embrace their partners. They seemed close with Monster, for instance, yet they never promoted Pilotwings Resort as Monster's creation. And they've got such great partners in Monster and Next Level, and before that Rare and Silicon Knights, but 2nd and 3rd Party is just never treated as seriously as it should. You can't do it all by yourself Nintendo, and every studio that Miyamoto visits is touched by inspiration (look at how awesome LeftField's Excitebike 64 was and how much they struggled to re-attain such greatness afterwards.) Learning to share can be good for you.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Next Level Games are brilliant. Punch-Out!! is pure concentrated fun and they produce really slick, wonderfully animated games full of depth and replay value. I'm hoping they do a real number on Luigi's Mansion 2 - the first game was pretty much a short but replayably entertaining romp, so the two are a match made in heaven.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Oblivion said:
:(

Real talk though, I played LM, and I enjoyed it for what it was. But come on, was anybody clamoring for a sequel afterwards? And of the many games in Nintendo's library that they could have created a sequel for, they choose LM?
I have been wanting a sequel ever since I saw the Wii and thought pointer controls would be lovely for a Luigi's Mansion game.

Then I held out hope they'd announce it for the 3DS since they protoyped 3D with the original game and here it is!

Edit: Next Level Games developing gives me high hope for the animation, what I've seen in Punch Out is fantastic.

thefro said:

Didn't realize EAD Tokyo split into two groups.

amrum

This is great news. I loved the first one on Gamecube ! This + Paper Mario, now i consider buying a 3DS...

bryehn

Guts Of Thor said:
Is the first one worth tracking down?

Should be $5-10 at any game shop and its a great way to spend a rainy afternoon (it's only 3-6 hours). One of the best launch games ever IMO.

I thought the game looked inferior to the original, and I hope there are ghosts with actual personalities in this game because the trailer didn't really show that.

Still, I am excite.

Mendoza

-PXG- said:
Next Level eh? Confirmed to be top notch then. They have a great team. You guys have nothing to worry about.

I detect some sarcasm... or maybe I just think we're all in for a big disappointment. Next Level Games has some of the worst sound and aesthetic design in the industry. This was on the top of my list for most anticipated games, then after I found out that Nintendo gave this to Next Level Games, I cried a bit. Punch-Out!! Wii broke my heart, and I fear that this will do the same.

Edit: I'm not writing this game off completely, but I'm just reserving judgment. I hope I'm wrong.

Dr_Peace

Banned
Luigi's Mansion was an amazing game, sure it could be beaten in around 8 hours but it was and is unlike anything else around.

The game was originally intended to be in 3D, so a 3DS sequel by Next Level Games sounds perfect and they can do SOOOO much with it.

Seeing how amazing Punch-Out turned out for the Wii, I'm fully confident and excited that Luigi's Mansion will rock. Like Punch-Out, it'll capture the original Gamecube game and IMO, make it better!

I just hope the game has a lot of cool surprises, enemies, unique environments that's not just in the mansion, and a lengthy, satisfying adventure.

The E3 trailer looked really good.

slaughterking said:
Aww, they are awesome, but Punch Out 3DS would be so much nicer from them. :I
I really think it's coming. I wouldn't mind a port of the Wii version with more characters to fight. I think that's all they really need to do, just the same thing with more fighters and in 3D.

Seeing 3D punches coming out of the screen will be awesome.

boiled goose

good with gravy
next level games has done a pretty good job so far.

LM2 should hopefully expand on the ideas on the original and make it a longer experience.
it looks worse than the GC version tho unfortunately . (graphics wise)

SmithnCo

slaughterking said:
Aww, they are awesome, but Punch Out 3DS would be so much nicer from them. :I

I hope Nintendo does Punch-Out for 3D classics at least. But Next Level specifically seriously do need to do another Punch-Out.

Top Bottom