• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2 is being developed by Next Level Games

Special J

Banned
mid-low tier developer which exclusively developers for other company's IPs and down ports. but they are independent and not first party as someone mentioned earlier.

LINK

Special J said:
mid-low tier developer which exclusively developers for other company's IPs and down ports.

LINK

punch-out-review-0518.jpg

Special J

Banned
yes im aware they made that and strikers but current gen games are alot more difficult to make since they have to split their teams with most of them trying to polish the game to look as good as they do. wii games dont have that hurdle and nintendo still probably produces these games making the product much easier for a mid-low tier developer to turn out a good product.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I've been wanting a Luigi's Mansion follow-up for ages.

The Punch-Out!! Wii guys will do well with this. Granted, it's possible it may not deviate enough from the original, but still...

DavidDayton said:
I've been wanting a Luigi's Mansion follow-up for ages.

The Punch-Out!! Wii guys will do well with this. Granted, it's possible it may not deviate enough from the original, but still...
Like Punch-Out, I don't think they need to. Punch-Out was a great example of capturing nostalgia and making it relevant for today.

The trailer for Luigi's Mansion 2 shows that the game is already on the right track. Looks like it perfectly captures the spirit of the first one.

BertramCooper said:
Because it's really fucking fun.
Yup! Best answer right there.

And it captures the best of Punch-Out and what made it a classic. Also, the animation is some of the best I've seen, like as if Disney animated it. And it has a lot of personality.

Great game.

Oblivion said:
:(

Real talk though, I played LM, and I enjoyed it for what it was. But come on, was anybody clamoring for a sequel afterwards? And of the many games in Nintendo's library that they could have created a sequel for, they choose LM?

One of my favorite games of the Gamecube generation. I don't know if I wanted it on the 3DS but I love that Nintendo hasn't forgotten about the series.

GhaleonQ

Mendoza said:
I don't really want to turn this into a debate, but why does Punch-Out!! Wii get so much praise?

Personally, I prefer the Punch-Out subseries to be a mixture of sports and puzzle, so I like Super the best. Wii absolutely wrecks the original, though. I don't just want to state that, but it's superior in every category (even the Nintendo cameo is better). It doesn't really do to start listing things, but my favorite aspect is the challenge and cleverness of Title Defence mode. What's not to like?

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
like as if Disney animated it.

Let's slow down.

midonnay

Regulus Tera said:
It was a wonderful concept that was over really quickly, maybe one or two sittings and with really scarce side stuff. That's why people wanted more.

if there was ever a game that was perfect for the 3DS....

hopefully it catches on better than on the gamecube

Neiteio

Epic bump, but I searched and didn't see a dedicated LM2 thread more recent than this one. Which is a crying shame: We're getting a sequel to Luigi's Mansion, one of the most unique and personality-packed Mario-universe spin-offs ever, and nobody's talking? C'mon!

I'm at work so I can't post the links right now, but the three new trailers we got -- the one that played during Ninty's TGS conference, the gameplay trailer, and the "special" trailer -- all gave us tantalizing new glimpses of the game.

A mansion in a snowy landscape with an ice-glazed interior? Attaching a balloon to the Poltergust and inflating it to float up chimneys? Peeking down toilets and sitting on them to reveal spinning walls? Flashing the flashlight to bloom flowers? Squeezing between walls to find gold bars hidden in the piping? Falling down secret passages in fireplaces?

I can't wait to explore the various mansions in this game. I'm still eager to see the context of the sandy tomb with the mummy ghost seen in the E3 trailer. I wonder if that will be its own Egyptian-themed "mansion" or if it's some subterranean lair beneath a normal mansion.

Game looks gorgeous, too. And the several new themes they've shown sound great, as does the remix of the classic LM theme. Everything looks wonderful. Now the question is when does the game come out? :)

Chris1964 said:
Sooner than you think.

Surprise addition to the Western holiday lineup? I believe you hinted last week at another 3DS release being announced for Q4, at least in Europe.

Edit: guess this isn't that, never mind!

Shiggy

lunchwithyuzo said:
I want Frankenstick support! Do it Nintendo/NLG!

You mean the "REGGIE™" (CTR-005)? Marketing will start in the coming weeks..."Makes your Nintendo 3DS as big as a Reggie - buy the new REGGIE™ for only $9.99!"

Satchel

Banned
If it's as good as Punch Out Wii (basically the best game on Wii...almost), and Mario Strikers, then I'll pick this up.

If I ever buy a 3DS.

Shiggy said:
You mean the "REGGIE™" (CTR-005)? Marketing will start in the coming weeks..."Makes your Nintendo 3DS as big as a Reggie - buy the new REGGIE™ for only $9.99!"

I would buy it at that price!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Shiggy said:

...And then your 3DS will be ready!

loosus

Banned
The new Punch-Out really isn't very good. It's definitely the black eye on the franchise. Ha ha ha...

Give me Super Punch Out (SNES version) any day. What a great fucking game.

Shiggy

Mpl90 said:
...And then your 3DS will be ready!

Not unless you buy the Nintendo 3DS Battery Pack, the Nintendo 3DS Screen Magnifier, the Nintendo 3DS Cartridge Reading Accessory, the Nintendo 3DS Disc Drive, the Nintendo 3DS HDD, the Nintendo 3DS Tripod and, finally, the Nintendo 3DS Assembly Tool. Sounds like fun for the entire family!

Boney

Banned
cooljeanius said:
Wait, GhaleonQ was banned? When did that happen?
He made a rude response to an OP asking for something.

Was something like, why don't you use your head and browse the web instead of making us all do the job. Was uh last week I think.

loosus said:
The new Punch-Out really isn't very good. It's definitely the black eye on the franchise. Ha ha ha...

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! >>> Punch-Out!! (Wii) >>>>> Super Punch-Out!!

I've never been a huge fan of Super PO. One round, bullshit characters with weapons and other crap, and coming from having Mike Tyson on NES to the Bruiser brothers. It's too arcadey for my taste.

It's still a good and pretty fun game, but I definitely consider it to be the worst home console PO.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Mendoza said:
I don't really want to turn this into a debate, but why does Punch-Out!! Wii get so much praise?

Have you ever taken a big packet of Wine Gums (or similarly gummy sweet) and tried to eat as much of it at once, because you just can't get enough of how delicious it is? Punch Out!! on the Wii is like that. It's a simple, almost basic game, but it's so unbelievably polished and moreish you can't help but play through it again and again and again. The animation is fucking top notch, the controls are incredibly easy to pick up and use, and the matches test your reflexes in an oldschool manner that can kick your arse at times but never feels unfair. It's one of a few current gen games that truly has that "just one more go" feel to it.

loosus said:

Smacktalk a good Punch-Out game, praise a bad Punch-Out game.

Joke posting is only really funny when it's believable.

Ridley327

Boney said:
meh

So in the trailer there was a better flashlight, I guess you can upgrade stuff?
I would imagine so; it seems like this game is more focused on disposing the ghosts than trying to find as many valuables, so it makes sense to retool money to be used for upgrades and whatnot.

Boney said:
meh

So in the trailer there was a better flashlight, I guess you can upgrade stuff?
I think the strobe function is just a new ability on the flashlight you start with, but I could be wrong.

Top Bottom