• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lumines: Electronic Symphony |OT| Shake Ya Body

Ok, does anyone who can pass the last skin give out a few pointers (like what avatar to use or something along those lines). Reached it with next to no blocks, and by the time the song was over, over 90% of the screen was filled.

It's annoying the crap outta me, because it's the ONLY skin that i lose at

Kryptonic

Any idea when they are going to fix the world block? I downloaded the update, but it still keeps saying the world block is erased and shows the date as 2/22.

the Lumines Vita demo....whats the name of the song when you first start playing? i listen to a lot of electronica/trance and it sounds quite familiar.....

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Just topped my highscore by about 50%...but I could have gone further. The pressure got to me and I choked. Still, what a fucking journey that was. Best game of the launch, easily.

timmy

I really like this, but I think I have a long way to go in terms of learning the strategy. That guide to getting better is pretty interesting.

GAF- timmy
PSN - caffemisto

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Is there no way to just keep playing one skin? Some of these songs I'd like to enjoy for more than 20 seconds.

Same here. You can do endless on the playlist setting but the skins reset after 100%. It's annoying.

Oh, new score. 2.5 mil. I don't think I will ever be able to max it out, the #1 dude has a near 700k score on Master Mode and I only have 400k on that. Guy who maxed out the score has serious skills

Pachinko

I got broke 400K today. I'm surprised at just how many skins there are in this. I even went out and bought a pair of decent headphones to better get in the mood and they work great with this game.

Just one small issue though- my high score won't update. I'm wondering if it's more a PSN issue then a lumines issue though because stardust delta kept kicking me offline right when I'd start playing too.

I got broke 400K today. I'm surprised at just how many skins there are in this.

Really? I assume this is your first Lumines game then. Lumines 1 had around this many. Lumines 2 had upwards of 90. Lumines on PS3 and 360 each have nearly 100. I can't wait for the inevitable DLC to add more skins for me to use in my playlists.

It's not. It's Played-A-Live by Safri Duo

Exactly how do you get the DJ In the House trophy?

I got it without trying. My favorite way to play Lumines is by playing 5 or 10 skins and seeing how high of a score I can get. I've just been dropping that 5 skin block into the playlist and doing that. All of a sudden I got the achievement. So you dont really have to save your playlists. You just need to set a playlist, play it, and then replace that playlist with another until you hit the achievement.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I got it without trying. My favorite way to play Lumines is by playing 5 or 10 skins and seeing how high of a score I can get. I've just been dropping that 5 skin block into the playlist and doing that. All of a sudden I got the achievement. So you dont really have to save your playlists. You just need to set a playlist, play it, and then replace that playlist with another until you hit the achievement.

Do you have to clear it 100% before quitting the game?

pantsmith

So I did a little bit of testing, and I figured out why the songs end so early in this game.

In the first Lumines game, a skin was broken up into segments, each lasting about as long as it takes the timeline to make its way across the screen. Your current segment would loop, over and over, until you cleared at least one block, which would progress the track on to the next section.

Heres a screenshot: OG Lumines

You'll notice the little icon at the top, center of the screen. That changes as you progress through, either showing that the current segment will repeat, or that it will change.

Now I'm not positive if they ditched the system on normal tracks in subsequent games, but licensed tracks in Lumines II and onward play in their entirety, unaffected by how you are playing. The obvious benefit of either system is that you at least hear the entire song, which is pretty much the half the experience of playing Lumines.

Electronic Symphony, however, ditches prior systems for a "% clear" meter to the right of the screen. As you clear blocks away, this meter jumps up, relative to the length of the song, and matches you with a chunk of the song about that far in.

This is bad. I noticed last night that if I was playing poorly enough on certain levels I would hear sections of the song I'd never heard before. While theres something charming about that on paper, most people (this might as well be scientifically proven) play better at Lumines when they're playing a skin/song they enjoy, which means you are actually cheating yourself of the music you like by playing well, and forcing yourself to play more of a skin/song you dont like by sucking at it.

While you'll still get the jist of the soundtrack playing through, I cant help but feel like this was a big oversight, especially for an otherwise brilliant game.

Cartman86

Banned
I got broke 400K today. I'm surprised at just how many skins there are in this. I even went out and bought a pair of decent headphones to better get in the mood and they work great with this game.

Just one small issue though- my high score won't update. I'm wondering if it's more a PSN issue then a lumines issue though because stardust delta kept kicking me offline right when I'd start playing too.

My high score took a couple days to finally update.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
While you'll still get the jist of the soundtrack playing through, I cant help but feel like this was a big oversight, especially for an otherwise brilliant game.
Damn, nice insights. A skin itself still advances based solely on blocks completed though, yes?

IMACOMPUTA

so my leaderboards arent wrking and whenever i get a higher score it still says my highest score is the first score i got... grr!

Deadstar

I finally broke down and bought this game and I'm glad I did. It's so fun and a lot of the tracks are killer. I love how most of them have a progression to them.

What you get in the beginning is not necessarily what you'll get in the middle or the end of the song. The songs are as awesome as Rammstein surfing a tidal wave.

Himself

How is the d pad on the vita? The only Lumines game I've played is Lumines live and the crummy 360 d pad always held me back.

RuGalz

I hope they patch away the avatar ability... This shouldn't be possible for me tbh.

2012-02-27-140814.jpg

I've watched the credits 3 times now and still no trophy. Between this and the bullshit about there being a hidden Platinum, Mielke can suck it.

Damn at some of the scores being posted here - I haven't even crossed the 50,000 mark yet. I just got the game on Sunday and this is my first Lumines game. I think I'm actually going to read through that pdf when I get some free time later this week to figure out some of the deeper mechanics. I'm guessing a lot of it just comes from playing it enough to recognize patterns and setting things up.

Totally dig the music though and I'm glad I got this digitally so I can just boot it up at any time without worrying about swapping cards.

kinggroin

Banned
Well I went from barely being able to break 80k, practiced a little bit, and now I'm at 250k. Think I'm gonna put this game on the back burner. Stopping at level 45, I feel pretty satisfied.

This was my first Lumines experience, and I must say, its the current front runner for my personal GOTY.

Time for Uncharted!

Alchemy

I guess I'll just keep assuming the chain block is the best avatar ability, though I don't really use them all that much.

RS4-

Not sure what it is, but I find this version easier than the PSP/PS3 one lol.

gaf: rs4-
psn: resonating

pretty annoyed that I did have a nice high score once then hit retry instead of exit

Top Bottom