• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 2 Demo Impressions Thread - Steam, PlayStation Network, Xbox Live

Tigletx said:
i got everything on highest (forced everything max with nvidia control panel) on a 8800GTS and it runs smoot, atleast above 30fps. Playable that means :D

Might as well cap that framerate imo. Cut out the spikes.

Dennis

Banned
The dirt and exhaust your car spews when you drive like a maniac is another nice PhysX touch.

I hope this is a glimse of where physics is headed in the future. So far I had been kinda meh on the whole thing.

The level of particles, smoke and debris you can generate with the High setting is absolutely great.

It would be nice if someone with a GTX 480 or even two, could try out the High setting and see what kind of frames they get. I would like to know if this level of physics is playable with todays hardware. Playable means about 25-30 fps when the air is really thick with stuff.

Zenith

Banned
Why how did I get here...

mw4mt1.jpg

21mffoi.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHVZyXOnkrA

there's a vid showing how to get round the red barrier. It also works with a flatbed truck. Turn left out of your house and go down to the waterfront to find plenty of either. Just keep driving past that red barrier until you hit an invisible wall and it curves off to those stone pillars. It'll respawn you on the other side.

You can get to the streets but you've only got a about 100 square feet to play in before it fades to white and says you failed the mission.

chixdiggit

Download done but will wait to play it until tonight. Impressions sound good though. Should I play the first Mafia game before this one?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
brain_stew said:
Perfect.

I'd like to know, on the topic of using a 360 controller for pc-gaming :

1) It's the wired pad that's the go to controller right?
2) In general, when a game supports a 360 pad will it subsequently control as well as the 360 counterpart?
3) Is it plug and play? Take mafia for example ( I can't try it out atm or else I would ) ; can I just start the game, and plug in my controller and play?

thx

eznark

Banned
Played it on 360.

Game is ugly and I hated the driving.

Music was fucking awesome, voice acting seems very good, gun play was solid.

I am definitely mildly excited for this game.

Ceebs

Corky said:

2) In general, when a game supports a 360 pad will it subsequently control as well as the 360 counterpart?
3) Is it plug and play? Take mafia for example ( I can't try it out atm or else I would ) ; can I just start the game, and plug in my controller and play?

thx

1) You can use the wireless 360 controllers if you buy the PC receiver for them. Otherwise just the normal wired controller. (not a wireless with a plug and play kit)

2) Can't really answer this but theoretically it should control just the same.

3. 90% of games will just default to the pad if you have it plugged in. Many games will do on the fly switching. For instance in Mafia II can be using the controller and the second I grab the mouse it switches to M/KB controls on the fly.

derFeef

DennisK4 said:
The dirt and exhaust your car spews when you drive like a maniac is another nice PhysX touch.

I hope this is a glimse of where physics is headed in the future. So far I had been kinda meh on the whole thing.

The level of particles, smoke and debris you can generate with the High setting is absolutely great.

It would be nice if someone with a GTX 480 or even two, could try out the High setting and see what kind of frames they get. I would like to know if this level of physics is playable with todays hardware. Playable means about 25-30 fps when the air is really thick with stuff.
It still does not justify it being "PhysX". I do not see why such effects would not work without this. Havok has some nice stuff and all the middleware stuff like euphoria is great as well.

Zeliard

I've found that in almost every game where my 8800GTX can no longer handle max settings @ 1680x1050, it's due to the PhysX setting. Gonna have to keep it off here till I upgrade, sadly. I'll just pretend it adds very little to the game.

Oh my, this is glorious. I've waited 3 years for this day and it deliveres. Brilliant, brilliant playing game. It's a shame the Xbox is always so jaggy. I'm downloading the PC version right now but my PC is pretty old and shitty so it probably won't work, but goddam, wow!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Ceebs said:
1) You can use the wireless 360 controllers if you buy the PC receiver for them. Otherwise just the normal wired controller. (not a wireless with a plug and play kit)

2) Can't really answer this but theoretically it should control just the same.

3. 90% of games will just default to the pad if you have it plugged in. Many games will do on the fly switching. For instance in Mafia II can be using the controller and the second I grab the mouse it switches to M/KB controls on the fly.

thanks dear, that sounds fucking awesome :D. Right now I dont have a good place to sit when I'm playing with my m/kb infront of my tv. Good gamepad support would turn my pc into an xbox 1080 :3 !

DennisK4 said:

Even with my GTX 260 I wasn't too far away from that as I was around 20fps or just under when shit hit the fan and that's with 4xmsaa forced on as well. I'm positive a 460 could manage it at that sort of framerate even with 4XMSAA. Cap your framerate to 30fps and you'll barely notice any drops.

Heck, I'll go try it without MSAA, my humble GTX 260 might be able to keep a steady 30fps even in heavy PhysX scenes.

derFeef

This may be the the first good "revived franchise" game, where I loved the original back in the days. There are still some nitpicks such as clone pedestrians, no car-shooting, or some bad textures here and there. But overall, this feels and plays great. This is truly Mafia II

Corky said:

thx

1) I much prefer using a wireless pad. They sell it in a bundle with the adapter for quite cheap, it supports 4 controllers. The wired pad is the cheaper option though.

2) Yes, if it uses Xinput (as games invariably do these days) then its using basically the exact same code as they do on the Xbox. This usually includes icons as well, which Mafia does.

3) Yes, everything auto configures exactly as it would on a console, you don't even have to think about it. Mafia will even allow you to switch to the keyboard on the fly (say if you want to do some precision aiming) and it'll update the icons and auto aim/sensitivity in real time, press a button on the 360 pad and it'll switch back. All of that is done instantly. Not all games work quite as awesome as that but the vast majority that you'd expect to have controller support will autoconfigure a 360 pad, even Crysis.

Wag

Let's talk about the music. In what era is this game supposed to take place? From what I've been hearing (especially the R&R/R&B) the music is spread out from the early 50's to the early 60's. I thought the game was supposed to take place earlier?

Corky: I use a wireless 360 pad on my PC.

Dennis

Banned
derFeef said:
It still does not justify it being "PhysX". I do not see why such effects would not work without this. Havok has some nice stuff and all the middleware stuff like euphoria is great as well.
Well, no. I don't care about PhysX as such, except that is what many games seem to be betting on.

By all means let another implementation of physics gain momentum.

What is interesting is that for the first time I have encountered a game that makes me take physics seriously. I will forego AA for physics in this game. This is a first for me.

I am getting interested in what we can expect to see in the future. More wants more. But I somewhat concerned if it will ever really take off. Right now visuals have top priority for developers and there may not be much power left over.

Bison11

O man....I am PUMPED. The first game was one of my favorites. (I might install that baby again) Downloading now in 360. Cant wait to give it a whirl.

Zeliard

Wag said:
Let's talk about the music. In what era is this game supposed to take place? From what I've been hearing (especially the R&R/R&B) the music is spread out from the early 50's to the early 60's. I thought the game was supposed to take place earlier?

I think the first part takes place in the 40s and the second in the 50s.

I remember them saying the game would essentially take place in two different periods.

Wag

Zeliard said:
I think the first part takes place in the 40s and the second in the 50s.

I remember them saying the game would essentially take place in two different periods.
Pretty sure I heard a couple early 60's stuff here. I'll have to go back and listen a little closer next time I play. It must have cost them a small fortune to get the music rights, as most of these songs are mainstay's of the Americana song-book.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
So I wanna run PhysX but I have a 4890. Would it be worth my while and not a big hassle to set up a cheap Nvidia card to be a dedicated PhysX card and would it improve or maintain my current performance with just my single card? If yes what would be the best value Nvidia card to get that job done?

Without PhysX:
mafia22010-08-1017-40-05-01.jpg

With PhysX:
mafia22010-08-1017-36-36-76.jpg

Aesius

So I just downloaded it off Steam and.....the game is ridiculously better in every conceivable way on PC.

BTW - has anyone else found the HUGE jump in the little Hooverville/ghetto area? I took the convertible T-bird off it and got massive air. It was hilarious :lol

Edit: I also thought it was a nice little touch that there are still some cars that look like they are from the 30s cruising around. Makes it feel more authentic.

Wag

Enduin said:
So I wanna run PhysX but I have a 4890. Would it be worth my while and not a big hassle to set up a cheap Nvidia card to be a dedicated PhysX card and would it improve or maintain my current performance with just my single card? If yes what would be the best value Nvidia card to get that job done?

Without PhysX:

With PhysX:

Overclock your CPU!

Cobra84

Enduin said:
Won't work. Can't use a Nvidia card for PhysX with anything but another Nvidia card.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Wag said:
Overclock your CPU!

I knew someone was gonna say that, but Im afraid to cause my CPU already runs pretty hot, its at 55C right now with nothing running, I think I need to reseat my heat sink and Ive just been too lazy to do it and I dont have any experience OCing stuff to begin with. I also think I got a bum 4890 cause when I use the Catalyst overdrive and puts my GPU to the max basically every game freezes up instantly and I have to do a hard restart of my comp.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Enduin said:

Without PhysX:

With PhysX:
I have a very dim view of PhysX. Most of the upcoming AAA PC releases will be using Havok.

Wag

Enduin said:
I knew someone was gonna say that, but Im afraid to cause my CPU already runs pretty hot, its at 55C right now with nothing running, I think I need to reseat my heat sink and Ive just been too lazy to do it and I dont have any experience OCing stuff to begin with. I also think I got a bum 4890 cause when I use the Catalyst overdrive and puts my GPU to the max basically every game freezes up instantly and I have to do a hard restart of my comp.
It's pretty easy to OC, if you can reseat a heatsync you pretty much got it down. Go to the "Need a new PC thread" and ask about after-market heatsyncs good for OC'ing and I'm sure they'll have an answer. At most it will cost you $50. Totally worth it.

Facism

where can i find an ini file to manually edit my resolution? the game starts up out of range on my LCD and i can't play it.

1-D_FTW

brain_stew said:
Even with my GTX 260 I wasn't too far away from that as I was around 20fps or just under when shit hit the fan and that's with 4xmsaa forced on as well. I'm positive a 460 could manage it at that sort of framerate even with 4XMSAA. Cap your framerate to 30fps and you'll barely notice any drops.

Heck, I'll go try it without MSAA, my humble GTX 260 might be able to keep a steady 30fps even in heavy PhysX scenes.

Wait. Are you saying you're getting that with a single 260? I tried enabling medium physics with my single GTX 460 and the framerate sucked. To make matters worse, the entire time I was driving (quit when I got to the warehouse), MSI Afterburner showed my GPU utilization in the effing teens. I'd never seen such a pathetic display in my life.

EDIT: I need to disable in-game AA. I don't know if it causes any performance drops, but it sure doesn't do a damn thing.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Wow, that demo was disappointingly short.

Also I thought the graphics were pretty rough on the 360. Driving around was almost hard to look at it with the jags and such further in the distance.

NeoGIF

Well, I'll be damned. I had no idea it was going to be the same demo that we've been seeing over the past few months.

I'm still loving it, however. My next playthrough will be just to free-roam.

ArjanN

derFeef said:
This may be the the first good "revived franchise" game, where I loved the original back in the days. There are still some nitpicks such as clone pedestrians, no car-shooting, or some bad textures here and there. But overall, this feels and plays great. This is truly Mafia II

fff22069.gif

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Debating if it's worth the 1gig download (limited bw here).
Is the demo so good that it'll hype the game to must-buy status to whoever likes the genre? ;)

Also, I know about the 10min roaming limit (meh), but since the OP doesn't say anything about it: How many missions there are and how long they last in the demo?

Dennis

Banned
Dash Kappei said:
Is the demo so good that it'll hype the game to must-buy status to whoever likes the genre? ;)

Also, I know about the 10min roaming limit (meh), but since the OP doesn't say anything about it: How many missions there are and how long they last in the demo?
There is one mission but you are not limited to 10 min in the mission. Once you arrive the clock goes away and you are not under time constraint. When you complete the mission the demo ends.

Its only the free-roam before the mission that is limited.

DennisK4 said:

I'd do it if Steam was working.

I hate it. :lol

Dennis4K: Have you played Red Faction: Guerrilla? Now that's physics! :)

In fact, that's the biggest thing Mafia 2 is missing - destructible everything. Every action game now feels sterile since I've been playing Red Faction this week. If GeoMod 2.0 or similar tech isn't standard in a couple years time I'm going to cut myself.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Dash Kappei said:

The demo is very short. If you're worried about your bandwidth cap I wouldn't download it, personally.

DennisK4 said:
Steam is down?

It says I can't connect to the servers.

But it's not true since I'm downloading it nonetheless, among other updates, grabbed the link opening the store on another window.

I'll let you know how it runs on my i5, 4gb, gtx480 and 3d vision.

bee

wow not played a demo for such a long time for quite a while, loving it except for the on foot controls seem to mess up at times or at least with mouse/keys. running it with max settings, anti aliasing on, physx on medium, ambient occlusion off and 3D vision on, runs great most of the time and looks absolutely stunning

that physx fix is a must

Enduin said:

Without PhysX:

With PhysX:

Probably something like a GT 240 would do but I've seen no benchmarks so can's say for sure of course. All of Nvidia's BETA driver releases from here on out should support mixed vendor PhysX.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
DennisK4 said:
There is one mission but you are not limited to 10 min in the mission. Once you arrive the clock goes away and you are not under time constraint. When you complete the mission the demo ends.

Yeah I've read that, probably didn't exaplin myself right. One mission only? Ugh.

Emerson said:
The demo is very short. If you're worried about your bandwidth cap I wouldn't download it, personally.

Thanks for the tip, I'll wait to have a bit more spare then.

bee said:
wow not played a demo for such a long time for quite a while, loving it except for the on foot controls seem to mess up at times or at least with mouse/keys. running it with max settings, anti aliasing on, physx on medium, ambient occlusion off and 3D vision on, runs great most of the time and looks absolutely stunning

that physx fix is a must

Why did you turn AO off? It abrely affects performance at all and its a great looking implementation.

Top Bottom