• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3, nine months later

dex3108

I actually think that Mafia 2 hurt this game.

Let me explain, when Mafia 2 came out it attracted a lot more people to it that came from the GTA games and other "open world" designed games.

A LOT of people complained that the world was "empty" and that the game didn't have a ton of side-things to do.

However this is exactly what Mafia 1 was like and what separated it from GTA and similar games. Instead of filling the world with a lot of busy-work and copy + paste side stuff the Mafia series traditionally focused on the storyline and characters, the world was there but it was never the "focus" of the game, rather it was the backdrop that let the world feel alive from which the story took place.

With Mafia 3 they most likely got a lot of people telling them "You need to fill the world up with a bunch of things to do" instead of them focusing on the narrative like Mafia I/II did.

This was a huge mistake imo, as many people absolutely loved the opening to Mafia III and it's story and then after a few hours in when the game finally "opens" up and you get into doing the same copy + paste designed things over and over and overo it really bogged down the game.

I think they would have been 100x better of just letting Mafia be Mafia, keep it different from GTA/Saint's Row and all those other games and let people enjoy it for its story and characters.

In my opinion that wasn't main issue. If missions had more variety people wouldn't complain that much. Main missions are literally same mission over and over again. That is why game feels better when you are plying it with all DLCs. You have more options and more variety. Also M2 was meant to be open world game based on the list of the cut content and all DLCs that were released for it are cut from the game.

Just look at this list

https://tcrf.net/Mafia_II

Need to get back to this. Enjoyed my time with it, but something else came along and forgot about it.
How's the Pro support? I've only played it on OG PS4.

GMAK2442

It's a good game.

But I found some major graphics bugs. I wonder if they fixed it.

I'd retry this game from where I have stop and see. Unfortunately, I'm sure the game doesn't work properly because of the virus/hack.

Bliddo

The game is fine, but the amount of driving in it is astounding.
Luckily the soundtrack (and radio) is insanely good.

Mafia 3 basically did what GTA 5 was desperately trying to do but whiffed on about the downfall of a likeable criminal anti-hero to become a monster as is realistic to a crime open world game's progression. No ludonarrative dissonance here. The storytelling was some of the best in this genre, and it's probably the most politically relevant of open world games.

I'll check out the DLC at some point.

It's such a shame the gameplay is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo repetitive.

Erevador

I was very intrigued by the setting and soundtrack of the game, but the overwhelming repetition of the mission design meant that I bailed part way through. I'm glad I did. The game was pure shallowness dressed up with a lot of production value.

A mile wide and an inch deep.

Felt like the game needed another 8 months of development.

Will probably check this out on xbox One X if it gets a patch. Was interested in it until watching how the cars drove... I know that's a ridiculous thing, but the 'rocket start' driving didn't appeal to me and I kind of lost interest. When it got mediocre reviews it affirmed my bias.

BUt with all of the DLC and some sales approaching, I might pick it up for like $20 - $30 for a Delux Edition or something.

leng jai

The thing is I actually enjoyed Mad Max despite how repetitive the open world was. Sure Mafia 3 isn't worse than that in mission variety?

Christhor

I've never had bigger buyer's remorse than with this game. Got it to play it with my brother, as we played Mafia 1 and 2 together, but what a waste of time this game is with constant filler content. Dunno what people see in it.

I really enjoyed it too, the story is great and I didn't mind the repetitive parts because the story missions were fun and interesting enough to make me want to do those side missions, and the DLCs have been excellent with a good amount of variety in tone and mission structure, overall it's a strange game but it's a good game too.

I'm playing it right now, and I have to say the initial reviews were spot on. The game is still janky as hell, with brain dead AI and uneven visuals/performance. It was patched like 10 times so I'd hate to think how it was at launch.

Still, I knew what to expect going in, and the setting, the fantastic music and great voice acting will be enough to carry me through the weak-ass mission design. Also I can think of worse collectibles than Playboy magazines.

Still I can't help but feel it could have been so much more.

dr_rus

It's a good game.

But I found some major graphics bugs. I wonder if they fixed it.

I'd retry this game from where I have stop and see. Unfortunately, I'm sure the game doesn't work properly because of the virus/hack.

Not much has changed in graphics between release and now. They've fixed some really glaring issues with specular reflections but overall the graphics is still very rough.

The thing is I actually enjoyed Mad Max despite how repetitive the open world was. Sure Mafia 3 isn't worse than that in mission variety?

Oh it is worse than Mad Max in that regard. There is a faction in Mafia 3 that has two different sets of side missions. But wait, both of those sets are you stealing a truck and then driving it to a point B( which isn't close at all).. while nothing happens. So guess what, you have 7 side missions that consist of nothing but you driving a truck from point A to point B. Riveting. How anyone thought that putting that into the game was a good idea is beyond me. It's as ridiculous as their awful attempt at the nemesis system.

Oh it is worse than Mad Max in that regard. There is a faction in Mafia 3 that has two different sets of side missions. But wait, both of those sets are you stealing a truck and then driving it to a point B( which isn't close at all).. while nothing happens. So guess what, you have 7 side missions that consist of nothing but you driving a truck from point A to point B. Riveting. How anyone thought that putting that into the game was a good idea is beyond me. It's as ridiculous as their awful attempt at the nemesis system.

I can't remember but can you pick and choose the "side activities" before you get to the main big mission or do you have to do the same exact rackets every time? Really tempted to get deluxe edition to play through whole thing but I remember thinking it was repetitive.

It's such a shame the gameplay is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo repetitive.
True.

The stealth and combat is still fun, though :p
giphy.gif

mafia_3_shotgun_by_digi_matrix-d9zr0tv.gif

giphy.gif

NeYNsyC.gif

Best story in a game in years.

Also amazing acting by the cast.

I've never felt more in tune with a characters thoughts in a game than Lincoln Clay.

Sadly this gane convinced me that a black protagonist in a AAA budget title is suicide if you aren't a huge name like Rockstar.

Klocker

I've never felt more in tune with a characters thoughts in a game than Lincoln Clay.

Sadly this gane convinced me that a black protagonist in a AAA budget title is suicide if you aren't a huge name like Rockstar.

That's fucked up if true.

Game is fucking amazing so far to me even with the somewhat repetitive mission structure.

Story is emotional and real feeling albeit a little fucked up and the portrayal of racism is unique and well intended. If not a little hard to watch. Makes being an ass kicker fun though.

That's fucked up if true.

Game is fucking amazing so far to me even with the somewhat repetitive mission structure.

Story is emotional and real feeling albeit a little fucked up and the portrayal of racism is unique and well intended. If not a little hard to watch. Makes being an ass kicker fun though.
Only San Andreas made it?

holygeesus

Banned
I'm having to replay the PS4 version to get as far in the game as you need to to trigger the DLC (having completed the base game on PC) and am enjoying it just as much second time round. The gunplay is superb. While the driving does become increasingly annoying later on, in the earlier missions the waypoints are closer than you remember, and even the later ones aren't a big deal if you unlock the 'deliver a sportscar' perk.

Stiler

In my opinion that wasn't main issue. If missions had more variety people wouldn't complain that much. Main missions are literally same mission over and over again. That is why game feels better when you are plying it with all DLCs. You have more options and more variety. Also M2 was meant to be open world game based on the list of the cut content and all DLCs that were released for it are cut from the game.

Just look at this list

https://tcrf.net/Mafia_II

I think you mis-understood me.

Mafia 2 was always going to be open world, just like Mafia 1 was an open world. However where they differ from GTA and the likes is that they focus mainly on a linear story and don't bog you down with doing a bunch of repetitive tasks until you get to the next "story" mission.

That link you showed looks like mostly world building things to make it feel more alive (public transportation, horse betting, a boxing/fight club and a few side jobs). It's not like a HUGE chunk of repetitive gameplay or anything, like in Mafia 3 and other open world games, that is meant to pad out the game a lot more.

Also it's worth mentioning, that the lead dev/writer (Daniel Vavra) left the game/studio for a reason. It's possible that a lot of this stuff that didn't make it was things the publisher was trying to force upon the game/developers.

Vice

It shipped like 5 million copies and was continuing to sell well earlier this year. Last year was a good year for black protagonists in AAA games. Even WD2 managed to out perform the latest Assassin's Creed for Ubisoft.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Just completed the game

utterly dissapointing. Okay main story, the game starts/ends well enough but the middle was flaccid. Boring gunplay and generic 'crouch walk cover stealth kill enemies' with poor or ridiculous AI, side characters that have almost no back story, poor driving mechanics and nothing to do in the world, the same mission over and over again, the game also has odd difficulty spikes, weird green filter on the game which made it look ugly. I know there's more but I can't think of specifics at the moment

Also disliked how the game had basically 0 mafia feel to it. The game was basically a 60's version of the punisher.

On top of that it's a super disappointing ending to vitos story. Although I did enjoy Lincoln as a character, I just wish the gameplay/mission structure was actually good to support the strong main story.

IMACOMPUTA

Really have been trying to find a deal on this for PC (USA).

Played the demo on ps4 pro and really enjoyed the opening.

Amazing setting, voice acting and writing with decent gunplay and driving but I never played past the demo because I heard how it's padded to hell and back. If they patched it to where you could skip most of the filler I'd buy it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Really have been trying to find a deal on this for PC (USA).

Played the demo on ps4 pro and really enjoyed the opening.

Take advantage of the CD Keys deal and activate the key with a VPN. The game itself won't be region-locked.

foxdvd

hidden under all the repetitive cookie-cutter open world filler...is Game of the Year quality work...

Shave this game down to a more structured 15 hour experience and it would have been amazing...it still is amazing, you just have to swim through some shit to get there...

Top Bottom