• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia: Definitive Edition |OT| You never show me any respect....

makaveli60

Goodies arrived
AhkCtzM.jpg

gxVitgU.jpg

ly8Xj7m.jpg

Np6h45x.jpg

x7jzOZl.jpg

ioUoPGw.jpg

yEoR7Ek.jpg

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Oh shit it has re-recorder Czech VA, because OG one is classic. Same actors (mostly) too. Which is important, becaause all the scenes were build with them.

Dibils2k

never played original so bought this, played abit before going to bed last night and looked very nice (OneX) no visual or performance problems yet

M1chl

That's awesome. I wish the English VA was the same as well...
Hangar 13 is mostly 2k Czech, however this was unexpected. But since Mafia 1 sold over the years 1 mil copies in 10 mil country, it's probably commercialy viable to do that.

nowhat

Just started playing this (on a Pro - and never played the original so nothing to compare to) and having fun so far after some four hours. The controls feel a bit clunky, obviously they haven't been modernized much, and is it just me, but both L3 (run) and R3 (crouch) trigger way too easily twice? So you're running and then not running, or crouching and getting right back up. A minor complaint but annoying.

But once you get out of the city, the pop-in with the vegetation is bad. Like really bad. Doesn't ruin the game, but looks quite nasty in an otherwise quite pleasing looking game. Apparently the devs are aware of this and are trying to patch it, but currently it's "ewww".

Oh, a side note. Has there ever been a mafia book/movie/tv-series/game/whatnot that didn't have a character called "Paulie" in them? Seriously, can't think of any.

M1chl

Remake looks great. When you turn the camera do you feel anything not normal? There’s something wrong that I can’t tell what exactly
In cars it's weird, on foot I would say it's normal. Also shooting "aim down the sight" posture is really weird, at least with pistols, not sure what's with that.

Last edited:

Paasei

Still thinking about it. I hate to say it, but I have never played the original. I did play Mafia 2 and Mafia 3 (somewhat) and ended up really liking Mafia 2. The Definitive Edition of Mafia 2 is somehow more terrible than the original, which is why I'm not too sure about getting this one, yet. Need to see some proper PC gameplay.

HotPocket69

Banned
Made it up to Chapter 6. Won the race on my second try (playing on Normal)

Hangar 13 is so good at rural countryside design. The middle of nowhere areas in Mafia 3 (specifically the Faster Baby DLC) were really well done too

M7nrzgJ.jpg

dolabla

Anybody playing on Xbox One X? If so, how's it running? That's what I decided to get it on.

Goodies arrived
AhkCtzM.jpg

gxVitgU.jpg

ly8Xj7m.jpg

Np6h45x.jpg

x7jzOZl.jpg

ioUoPGw.jpg

yEoR7Ek.jpg

That looks awesome. Absolutely sucks this is not getting a release in the US. I had to order from Amazon UK (just shipped out last night) so it'll be a few days until I get mine.

xrnzaaas

Racing mission still sucks in the remake :LOL:
git gud ;)

Hangar 13 is so good at rural countryside design. The middle of nowhere areas in Mafia 3 (specifically the Faster Baby DLC) were really well done too
Countryside is actually done poorly in this game - no pedestrians, very low on traffic, not too many scenic locations, many buildings are inaccessible or empty and ugly looking.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
I knew I wasn’t the only one having this issue

The game was stuck on 60Hz although I’m getting more fps ingame. That’s why I was saying there’s something off that I can’t tell what when moving the camera. So this video above fixes the issue

This actually fixed my issue. No I don't feel that the game is heavy when turning the camera anymore!

Didn't they learn from Mafia 3? Same issue again...

HotPocket69

Banned
git gud ;)

Countryside is actually done poorly in this game - no pedestrians, very low on traffic, not too many scenic locations, many buildings are inaccessible or empty and ugly looking.

Well I think it looks fantastic so far 🤷🏻‍♂️

It’s the fucking countryside. It should be low on traffic.

Game's graphics are stunning. The lighting in particular is very very good.

Seeing as how money is tighter than normal, I think I"m gonna wait on a sale, but I think overall the game looks really good. Especially if you are a fan of the first or of the series and I'm both. The game finally looks as good as those stunning CGI movie previews for Mafia 2.

Have you ever driven through actual countryside parts before? It's exactly as you describe.

Last edited:

M1chl

Game's graphics are stunning. The lighting in particular is very very good.

Seeing as how money is tighter than normal, I think I"m gonna wait on a sale, but I think overall the game looks really good. Especially if you are a fan of the first or of the series and I'm both. The game finally looks as good as those stunning CGI movie previews for Mafia 2.

Have you ever driven through actual countryside parts before? It's exactly as you describe.
This is what I thought too with the first stop at the Church, because that looked like the Mafia 2 trailer.

Denton

50's cars in Mafia 1....even if it's a bonus that shit bugs me.
It bugs me too, but...free ride, and I do love this car from M2 and wanted to see how it drives.
There is even the muscle car from M3, hilariously out of place.

Anyway, here is me doing the race on classic and simulation difficulty

nowhat

I'm far from the "git gud" crowd. As a matter of fact, never got into the Soulsborne genre - I get the point, but it just doesn't appeal to me. I do like me some brutally unfair platformers though, so it's not the difficulty, just never clicked with me.

...having said that, second try? On normal? Which is what I'm playing at currently, but have you like ever played Mario Kart? That race was so easy I couldn't figure why I was given a silver trophy for winning it.

(or perhaps I've just "got gud" at Mario Kart)

JCK75

Could not wait until I got home to play it on my real gaming rig so gave it a go on my work rig (i7-8700 with a GTX 1060)
man, runs and looks great even on this lower/midrange system.

I knew I wasn’t the only one having this issue

The game was stuck on 60Hz although I’m getting more fps ingame. That’s why I was saying there’s something off that I can’t tell what when moving the camera. So this video above fixes the issue

Good catch my dude. Want to buy it but I waited for steam reviews and more thoughts here about it before I dived it. Besides this issue, how does it run?

HotPocket69

Banned
I'm far from the "git gud" crowd. As a matter of fact, never got into the Soulsborne genre - I get the point, but it just doesn't appeal to me. I do like me some brutally unfair platformers though, so it's not the difficulty, just never clicked with me.

...having said that, second try? On normal? Which is what I'm playing at currently, but have you like ever played Mario Kart? That race was so easy I couldn't figure why I was given a silver trophy for winning it.

(or perhaps I've just "got gud" at Mario Kart)

I avoid the “git gud” bs too, and I’m a light Souls fan. I’m actually kinda mediocre at racing games and was dreading the mission because of its notorious history. I knew I’d blow it at that first run because I needed to get acclimated to the track and the control of the car. Nailed it on that second one though and it was pretty fun.

Don’t forget to take Paulie to the whorehouse instead of taking him home after you win 😎

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Yes, but it's a video game, if it's a (pretty large) part of the map it should be an area I would want to visit and explore. There aren't any interesting locations there other than two places you visit during main missions and even the view from the dam is underwhelming.

I should mention I don't have any complaints with the city, I really enjoy (re)exploring it, even the less populated districts like Beech Hill.

Last edited:
Yes, but it's a video game, if it's a (pretty large) part of the map it should be able I would want to visit. There aren't any interesting locations there other than two places you visit during main missions and even the view from the dam is underwhelming.

I should mention I don't have any complaints with the city, I really enjoy (re)exploring it, even the less populated districts like Beech Hill.
What would you have preferred to see in the country? I guess there could be some interesting things they could add.

xrnzaaas

What would you have preferred to see in the country? I guess there could be some interesting things they could add.
How about some unique locations like (other) motels, inns, cool viewpoints, hiking trails etc. The majority of the locations in north county are single small buildings and the ones which are accessible are completely empty inside. It's like no one's even tried to make them interesting.

I know that the original game had a similar issue, but it was a good opportunity to make the whole map interesting, not just the city part.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
Yes, but it's a video game, if it's a (pretty large) part of the map it should be an area I would want to visit and explore. There aren't any interesting locations there other than two places you visit during main missions and even the view from the dam is underwhelming.

This series has never ever been about sightseeing lol. The city and countryside is just a backdrop to the narrative and characters. That’s it.

I don’t play a Mafia game and think to myself “Oh man, can’t wait to EXPLORE”. That’s not what these games are whatsoever.

This series has never ever been about sightseeing lol. The city and countryside is just a backdrop to the narrative and characters. That’s it.

I don’t play a Mafia game and think to myself “Oh man, can’t wait to EXPLORE”. That’s not what these games are whatsoever.
This was a hard lesson I learned with Mafia 2. Once I learned it, I started to appreciate what the game was doing. But until then, I was so annoyed with the awesome setting of Mafia 2.

xrnzaaas

Well you do have to explore pretty much every spot on the map if you're going for the collectibles and Mafia 1 Remake has A LOT of them. ;) And that's when it starts to show that the countryside is full of "cardboard areas" which look fugly and uninspiring at close glance.

Again, I don't have the same problem with the city. Even if I'm visiting a location I would never go to during the main storyline it still feels like I'm in a highly detailed world. That feeling disappears soon after leaving city limits.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
Well you do have to explore pretty much every spot on the map if you're going for the collectibles and Mafia 1 Remake has A LOT of them. ;) And that's when it starts to show that the countryside is full of "cardboard areas" which look fugly and uninspiring at close glance.

Again, I don't have the same problem with the city. Even if I'm visiting a location I would never go to during the main storyline it still feels like I'm in a highly detailed world. That feeling disappears soon after leaving city limits.

Fuck the collectibles. There’s way too many of them and they aren’t Playboys.

Picked it up for 33.00 on Greenmangaming. Really impressed by graphics and overall gameplay. Never played the original. Top notch all around, minus some minor glitches occassionally.
PC version 4k max
0gTIvi.png

0gT0Vm.png

0gTjAP.png

0gTAsK.png

0gRGTx.png

0gRy5k.png

Top Bottom