• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adaren

My first reaction to Eternalize (maybe) being Indestructible+Embalm was that it would lead to a lot of stalled bordstates, but it actually makes a lot of sense with Afflict and -1/-1 counters. If there's ever an environment to have an indestructible creatures theme, it's probably this one.

Yeef

Actually, it looks to be for something called "Draft Weekend". I assume we'll get an official announcement during Thursday's Organised Play update.
Draft Weekend is what they started calling launch events with Amonkhet. Where as before, you could give the launch promos out for any events that weekend, now stores are technically only allowed to give them out for drafts.

[EDIT] My guess for Eternalize is something like haunt/bestow from the graveyard. Pay the eternalize cost when the card is in the yard and exile it to give its abilities (and maybe stats) to another creature.

So not actually an issue and still a pathetic mechanic. At least energy was good in draft.
How is giving monored effectively hard removal not an issue?

I also wouldn't consider process a pathetic mechanic it was the mixture of ingest process that was an issue. Putting cards from exile back into the yard for payoff is a great concept, especially for eternal formats where there's much more enabling exile and relevancy to the graveyard. I wish there more playable processors actually.

Lucario

For the mana cost, Eternalize would make sense as "exile ~ from your graveyard: create an enchantment token with "creatures you control get (ability)".

Probably just some sort of mega-embalm, though.

Wichu

Draft Weekend is what they started calling launch events with Amonkhet. Where as before, you could give the launch promos out for any events that weekend, now stores are technically only allowed to give them out for drafts.

Oh, fair enough. I haven't been paying attention to events recently.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Because it isn't causing any problems as a single target removal spell? It's a mainly good in decks that have a bunch of energy cards or that can rebuy the ones they do have. Control is getting boned in the fall so I'm not particularly worried about it like you are.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

[EDIT] My guess for Eternalize is something like haunt/bestow from the graveyard. Pay the eternalize cost when the card is in the yard and exile it to give its abilities (and maybe stats) to another creature.
Man Maro is down on haunts chances of ever returning but I kinda liked the mechanic

ultron87

Given the flavor of the gods killing people when they reach the end of their trial, Eternalize could be something like saccing the creature or turning it into an enchantment and then that gives its ability to all your other creatures? Or it becomes like the gods, where it is indestructible but can't attack or block, and pumps others.

Edit: That all might fit more on Theros though.

Because it isn't causing any problems as a single target removal spell? It's a mainly good in decks that have a bunch of energy cards or that can rebuy the ones they do have. Control is getting boned in the fall so I'm not particularly worried about it like you are.
Does it? Was it not a problem that marvel could deal with big threats, is it not an issue for UR to have extremely consistent mana because it doesn't need black for hard removal? It's a card that throughly shaped the environment across multiple archetypes and decks.

I'm not worried about control, the deck just bothers me on several levels conceptually but I'm fully aware it's dead come ixalan or might already be due to BG, vehicles and midrange getting a boost from the marvel ban.

OnPoint

|OT12| Marvel madness
|OT12| No Banding, All Bannings
|OT12| Systems critical, Energy low
|OT12| Banning each best deck since 2016
|OT12| Bigger threat: Bolas or Maro?

Wulfric

mS7pf1B.jpg

Interesting that both promos are 2 CMC. That usually doesn't happen.

And when did Kev Walker start working digitally? Adorned Pouncer feels considerably different than his prior work, but it could just be the portrait orientation tripping me up. Doesn't look like a traditional piece at all.

Violet_0

Banned
|OT12| A Ban too Far?

I just want to point out that the art on Abrade looks super neat. Also, it seems like they were getting desperate trying to get artifacts under control with that card

Man Maro is down on haunts chances of ever returning but I kinda liked the mechanic

The implementation they went with was just super confusing and bad. The concept of a card "haunting" another one is pretty simple though so they totally could redo it with a better template as kind of a reverse bestow.

For the mana cost, Eternalize would make sense as "exile ~ from your graveyard: create an enchantment token with "creatures you control get (ability)".

If it was different per creature it'd have to specify what it gave on the card, which it doesn't. I don't think they'd print a mechanic like that where all the different cards do the same thing.

traveler

Not Wario
I actually like Haunt, but I still think it's way too convoluted to revisit as is. Give the concept a different implementation and try again.

Interesting that both promos are 2 CMC. That usually doesn't happen.

And when did Kev Walker start working digitally? Adorned Pouncer feels considerably different than his prior work, but it could just be the portrait orientation tripping me up. Doesn't look like a traditional piece at all.

I think it's the off camera view/foiling. Initially, I thought the same thing, but looking at the neckpiece and fur more closely now, I'm pretty sure it's traditional.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I hadn't even noticed that the cat was a rare. Eternalize must be pretty splashy then.

It's the Game Day Top 8 promo, so I'd be very surprised if it was actually bad, although there's a pretty rich history of those promos not being particularly good.

Yeef

So, before rotation, but after the ban takes effect, which cards that weren't seeing a lot of play do you think will start showing up more frequently?

I think Glorybringer, Ishkanah, Angel of Sanctions and Sylvan Advocate all look better in a format where you don't have to try to get in under Aetherworks.

Then again, I don't know how many people are willing to try to innovate in Standard before HOU when there's only one big GP left.

Feel like Duels deserves a shout out. I enjoyed that game as a small, daily fix of Magic.

Yeah man, I was dutifully collecting my coins, getting my cards... Kinda bummed, to be honest. I have been maintaining a "Float" of at least 1000 Coins for the past few months. The idea is to splurge on packs that go on sale to 100 Coins instead of 150. Honestly has been a dece strategy lol

If they can learn one thing though, they need a "Report Player" button.

I expect a swift metashift to midrange. Gideon gonna be everywhere again.

The 6/5 mythic vehicle. Vehicles gonna cut the 3/1 because Liliana gonna see a boost.

Kalitas is still an incredibly efficient creature.

Wulfric

I think it's the off camera view/foiling. Initially, I thought the same thing, but looking at the neckpiece and fur more closely now, I'm pretty sure it's traditional.

You might be right actually. The foiling is lovely but it makes it hard to tell without knowing Kev Walker works primarily in acrylics. I shiver at the thought of painting all that white! /yikes

Santiako

Abrade seems great in UR Control. Kills vehicles, gearhulks and most creatures. Actually, the card seems great everywhere, I love the versatility.

Ashodin

I expect a swift metashift to midrange. Gideon gonna be everywhere again.

The 6/5 mythic vehicle. Vehicles gonna cut the 3/1 because Liliana gonna see a boost.

Kalitas is still an incredibly efficient creature.

Skysovereign was already on the upswing in the SB, now I'm thinking of putting it in the main of my RW Exert/Vehicles deck. Might even go back to Stone Haven Outfitter for kicks for a while.

Man, things are looking up.

Tomorrow's announcements are going to be crazy.

I firmly think Eternalize brings back the card from the GY as an enchantment or an artifact with its keyword being spread to all.

I firmly think Eternalize brings back the card from the GY as an enchantment or an artifact with its keyword being spread to all.

That would require an ability word, not a keyword.

For that much mana, I say it's epic embalm. You get another token for free every turn for the rest of the game.

Ashodin

That would require an ability word, not a keyword.

For that much mana, I say it's epic embalm. You get another token for free every turn for the rest of the game.

Huh? The current revealed card has Double Strike. When you eternalize the creature, it comes back as an enchantment/artifact token (probably artifact) that says "Creatures you control have double strike."

Though I like your idea of super embalm that just keeps spitting out tokens.

Can't do this under the rules with the template we have on this card. It's a good mechanic (I used it in a fan set design a while back) but because of how many text grafting abilities there are you can't just implicitly spread abilities across other different creatures, you'd have to have something either in the textbox or as a keyword variable to do what you want.

Wichu

That seems way too bomby to be a keyword that has to be printed on a bunch of commons.

Can't do this under the rules with the template we have on this card. It's a good mechanic (I used it in a fan set design a while back) but because of how many text grafting abilities there are you can't just implicitly spread abilities across other different creatures, you'd have to have something either in the textbox or as a keyword variable to do what you want.

"Creatures you control have each of this card's non-eternalize abilities."

My theory is something like bestow from graveyard:

"<cost>, Exile this card from your graveyard: Target creature you control gains this card's other abilities as long as this card remains in exile. Eternalize only as a sorcery."

Ashodin

Feh, limitations

DrArchon

Checked the Gatherer, and Eternalize could very well be a Bestow-like mechanic. Ghostblade Eidolon has a similar Bestow cost for basically what would be the same effect, only difference being that it becomes a creature when not attached, which I can't see them doing for an ability you do from the yard.

Only problem I have with this is that they were fine with "Bestow for Double Strike" at Uncommon, so why would "Bestow from the yard for Double Strike" be at rare?

Checked the Gatherer, and Eternalize could very well be a Bestow-like mechanic. Ghostblade Eidolon has a similar Bestow cost for basically what would be the same effect, only difference being that it becomes a creature when not attached, which I can't see them doing for an ability you do from the yard.

Only problem I have with this is that they were fine with "Bestow for Double Strike" at Uncommon, so why would "Bestow from the yard for Double Strike" be at rare?
With bestow, you have to pay the higher cost up front from your hand, while with that eternalize, you could get the creature then the aura later. It wouldn't be too different from how Fireball is uncommon, but ones cast from the graveyard are always rare.

"Creatures you control have each of this card's non-eternalize abilities."

As of today, even with so many crazy cards printed, there is no way to splice arbitrary continuous abilities together, and every card that copies abilities (rather than a whole permanent) copies activated abilities only. I invite you to consider why this would be (mostly because I won't have a chance to actually construct a demonstrative example until later.)

Checked the Gatherer, and Eternalize could very well be a Bestow-like mechanic.

Why would they make an enchantment mechanic when they made a whole point of mentioning that this block isn't about enchantments at all?

Yeef

What if it's an alternative casting cost that brings it in as indestructable?
Normally, in sets with -1/-1 counters, they're more willing to use indestructible liberally. However, because of the way counters are used in Amonkhet (placed on your own creatures) it's a bit more problematic. They'd either need to shift the focus on how the -1/-1 counters are used, which would make them play awkwardly with the Amonkhet stuff, or have eteralize show up in low enough numbers that it probably wouldn't be worth keywording.

One thing I did notice that no one else seems to have mentioned; the cat's claws are busting out of the card frame. It's a style choice that's typically reserved for planeswalkers (and cards in un-sets). That might be a hint somehow.

With MDN news on the horizon, is anyone else a little bit nervous about their MTGO collection value?

The fact that it didn't ever come to the most popular console this gen was always completely insane to me, as the first Duel of the Planeswalkers was the reason I started playing Magic again.

Same. DotP did the same for me, brought me back after a long hiatus. I was pretty excited to play Duels, then completely baffled it was not made available for PS4.

Ashodin

With MDN news on the horizon, is anyone else a little bit nervous about their MTGO collection value?

Same. DotP did the same for me, brought me back after a long hiatus. I was pretty excited to play Duels, then completely baffled it was not made available for PS4.

I've never gotten into MTGO so no. I don't even have any cards beyond the basic set.

Now MDN I would get heavily into.

re: eternalize

I mean you have to look at the name of the ability

eternalize

It's essentially a retool of "immortalize" which is to "memorialize something in statue or art for all time".

So if it's not an indestructible artifact token of the same creature, shoot me.

Violet_0

Banned
One thing I did notice that no one else seems to have mentioned; the cat's claws are busting out of the card frame. It's a style choice that's typically reserved for planeswalkers (and cards in un-sets). That might be a hint somehow.

about time we get a cat planeswalker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom