• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

noquarter

cardart_goblinslide.jpg

Still the best piece of artwork in all of Magic. <3
Still giving it to Apathy.

Ashodin

Predictions for Tomorrow

• Unscrewed
  • DOMINARIA
  • Rivals of Ixalan
  • Magic Origins 2
  • Commander 2017 full reveal
  • Archenemy: Eldrazi
  • Special 25th Anniversary Bundles
  • Magic Digital Next official reveal trailer, more at HasCon

I mean ... I'm ready

OnPoint

What if we're all thinking of it wrong...

You may pay the Eternalize cost when casting this card
instead of its normal cost. If you do, exile it. You may then
choose a card from outside the game that is the same casting
cost from any set. You may play that card without paying its cost
until the end of the turn.

Sorry, bored at work on an off shift

Santiako

So if it's not an indestructible artifact token of the same creature, shoot me.

It's going to be exactly this. Embalm but artifact and indestructible.

It would also work well against affliction, since you can block indeterminately with any small indestructible token.

red13th

Predictions for Tomorrow

• Unscrewed
  • DOMINARIA
  • Rivals of Ixalan
  • Magic Origins 2
  • Commander 2017 full reveal
  • Archenemy: Eldrazi
  • Special 25th Anniversary Bundles
  • Magic Digital Next official reveal trailer, more at HasCon

I mean ... I'm ready

no Unfucked please. The rest is okay.

Justin

It would also work well against affliction, since you can block indeterminately with any small indestructible token.

If the token isn't a monument version of the creature I will be disappointed

Ashodin

I just think Abrade is a signal. There will be more artifacts running around in this set than you think.

Granted, it can't kill Eternalize'd creatures, but Soul-Scar Mage can.

Adaren

So this Magic Duels promotion just popped up for me.

2000 is a massive amount of coins. Enough to buy 13 booster packs, and the equivalent of at least $10.66 in real money.

It's rather suspicious that they're doing a huge push to have players link their Duels accounts right after announcing that they're ending support for the game. Maybe there is a chance that they'll let Duels players transfer their collections into some other game?

Ashodin

So this Magic Duels promotion just popped up for me.

2000 is a massive amount of coins. Enough to buy 13 booster packs, and the equivalent of at least $10.66 in real money.

It's rather suspicious that they're doing a huge push to have players link their Duels accounts right after announcing that they're ending support for the game. Maybe there is a chance that they'll let Duels players transfer their collections into some other game?

Or they want email addresses to send you a notification when Magic Digital Next info comes out to try to convert you.

Adaren

Or they want email addresses to send you a notification when Magic Digital Next info comes out to try to convert you.

That's probably more likely. :| I suppose I didn't think of it because they already have my email address and I already plan on playing MDN, lol.

Ashodin

That's probably more likely. :| I suppose I didn't think of it because they already have my email address and I already plan on playing MDN, lol.

I'd imagine both for MTGO and Magic Duels they would want to convert as many people as possible.

I'm also thinking they'll just let MTGO slowly die off and kind of "legacy" update it with sets as time goes on, but then again, they could just kill it and be like ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

Also with this new standard people are sleeping on Soul-scar Mage. That card is like $1 and some change, but I bet there's a deck out there willing to run it. It shrinks dudes with its removal, and as removal gets better, he gets better. Also 1RRR (Sweltering Suns) is not a bad tradeoff for -3/-3 to everything permanently.

Predictions for Tomorrow

Okay... I'll play that game.

Announcement Day was the first time WotC started announcing more than 1-3 products in one shot, ever, and each of those had six products. So we're looking at more than that. We also know that they'll be announcing products throughout 2018 to cover the entire 25th Anniversary celebration.

We already know about four of the products they'll be revealing:

• Commander 2017
  • Ixalan
  • Iconic Masters
  • Rivals of Ixalan

There'll also probably be a Duel Decks in here (I'm guessing FTV is dead) which would cover everything else for 2017 and the first release of 2018.

After that:

• Another Duel Decks in March
  • Spring set -- this is probably Dominaria
  • Summer supplemental -- I'm gonna go with Planechase here, easy route for nostalgia
  • First new core set
  • Fancy reprint product -- I expect that rather than something like an FTV or a whole anthology, they go somewhere in between and have a preconstructed product with a variety of old cards printed in some way that makes them notable and desirable.
  • Commander 2018 -- story-themed with major characters from the old story fronting each deck (this would be a good shot to print a Serra card)
  • Another Duel Deck -- I'll make a wild called shot here and say they go for "Urza vs Mishra" and print new cards in it for the first time.
  • Fall set which will be something else nostalgic that isn't Dominaria -- I wouldn't be surprised to see something Ravnica-related, for example.

That's 13 (so basically two announcement days based on previous examples) and probably extends as far out as they'd be willing and able to announce things in advance.

Ashodin

ah shit, I forgot about Iconic Masters. We'll likely get some actual info on the contents.

Fancy reprint product -- I expect that rather than something like an FTV or a whole anthology, they go somewhere in between and have a preconstructed product with a variety of old cards printed in some way that makes them notable and desirable.

Absolutely agree here.

Commander 2018 -- story-themed with major characters from the old story fronting each deck (this would be a good shot to print a Serra card)

Fuck yes, give me a Serra planeswalker card. Drawn by Rebecca Guay.

Crocodile

About new Hour of Devastation Spoilers - I wish WOTC would stop trying to introduce new random mechanics in second sets. Too often it means they are abandoning mechanics int eh first set that still have room to grow. Aftermath is done for now but Embalm and Exert I still think have at least another set in them. I am curious what Eternalize is though.

For tomorrow, I at least hope they reveal what tribes are in the Commander 2017 product

Santiako

You know what I would love for the first new core set? A retelling of the weatherlight saga. That way they can reprint some iconic old underpowered cards and give some people like Gerrard new legendary cards that don't suck.

Yeef

I'd imagine both for MTGO and Magic Duels they would want to convert as many people as possible.
Ever since they announced the unified Wizards account, it was pretty clear that their goal was to get everyone to have one single account for all their products. Rather than having an MTGO login and a DCI # and a Wizards.com login and a judge center login and whatever else, it's better for everyone if you just have one Wizards Login that has all of your accounts tied to it. It even gives them the opportunity to incentivize playing in events and other cross-pollination schemes. I can imagine a scenario where the Magic MMO uses the Wizards account and you get some sort of in-game bonus for playing in FNM each week.

ah shit, I forgot about Iconic Masters. We'll likely get some actual info on the contents.
The whole point of the 'old school prerelease' is that they don't reveal cards ahead of time. The info just has to trickle out. We'll probably get info like set size, release date and maybe some key art and a logo, but I wouldn't expect much, if anything, beyond that.

You know what I would love for the first new core set? A retelling of the weatherlight saga. That way they can reprint some iconic old underpowered cards and give some people like Gerrard new legendary cards that don't suck.
Commander sets already do this and it's definitely a better place to do it, since that's the audience that's going to get the most use out of those cards. The only thing they really need to deal with is the Ludevic problem of making cards that don't match the character.

BTW: "The current goal is 3.5 mechanics per large set." (In comparison, BFZ had eight.)

About new Hour of Devastation Spoilers - I wish WOTC would stop trying to introduce new random mechanics in second sets.

I mean....

For tomorrow, I at least hope they reveal what tribes are in the Commander 2017 product

I think this is pretty likely, it's only two months away now.

Ashodin

I can imagine a scenario where the Magic MMO uses the Wizards account and you get some sort of in-game bonus for playing in FNM each week.

fuuuuuuuuuuck me that would be awesome. Like an in-game booster or item for playing at FNM? shit

ultron87

Ya know, here in the evening time as I think on it more, ending Duels support in the middle of a block with about a month before the next release is pretty shitty. I knew it'd end eventually, and put money in knowing that. I had a fun a time with it so I don't feel like that money is even wasted suddenly. But they must've known for awhile that they weren't working on HoD cards for it, so just tell people sooner. Bleh. If I had more self control this would make me wary about putting money into MDN, even though this is supposedly the "real one".

I hear MMO players get super stoked when people have in-game content that you can only get through unreasonably difficult means out-of-game, and they don't just view it as a pathetic secondary market created by people flipping those items for exorbitant amounts.

There's a reason Blizzard moved toward "Play a Game of Hearthstone to Get a Free Vanity Mount!" and away from "Play what amounts to a lottery or just buy this rare card that gives you an in-game item for way too much on eBay."

It's not because they had a sudden attack of The Ethics, either.

bigkrev

There's a reason Blizzard moved toward "Play a Game of Hearthstone to Get a Free Vanity Mount!" and away from "Play what amounts to a lottery or just buy this rare card that gives you an in-game item for way too much on eBay."

It's not because they had a sudden attack of The Ethics, either.

Yeah, but there is a D.Va skin I will never be able to get in Overwatch because I will -never- install and play Heroes of the Storm. If I could pay $10 for it, i'd probably do it!

bigkrev

Speaking of Raid Decks, remember when they made Raid Decks in Theros block? Fight the Hydra, Battle a God, ect. Those were fun, they should do one of those a year or so.

Yeah, but there is a D.Va skin I will never be able to get in Overwatch because I will -never- install and play Heroes of the Storm. If I could pay $10 for it, i'd probably do it!

You probably have a deadbeat friend you could pay $10 to install and play it while you're out of the house then delete it before you get back.

You probably have a deadbeat friend you could pay $10 to install and play it while you're out of the house then delete it before you get back.

But he'd always know someone played Heroes of the Storm because of him. He would have to live with that, every single day.

I don't really mind Heroes of the Storm.

Murder

I played RG Marvel last fall. Banned.
I played 4 Color Saheeli this year. Banned.
I played Temur Marvel this season. Banned.

So, if you wanna know which deck gets banned next season, just ask me.

Joking aside, this is the right move from them, even if I can't help to admit that it hurts a bit getting your deck banned three seasons in a row. I should just stick to playing jankier decks and not the best most broken thing. But I love that kind of deck so much!

EDIT: Well this post is kind of a repeat, sorry. My browser broke for a sec so I thought my post didn't make it!

I mean you play tier 0 decks you shoulda sorta be expecting something like this. I'll give you Emrakul (if you played that) but the other 2 I dunno what to tell ya.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Magic: the Gathering - Hour of Devastation |OT| Marvel upon my works ye mighty and despair

Magic: the Gathering - Hour of Devastation |OT| The Bannings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom