• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I found someone on FB to trade my Liliana, the Last Hope for two Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet. Should be awesome in my Jund.

Side note: Liliana's Emblem is just awesome if you can pull it off.

This is almost as much of a matchup upset as Reid Duke losing at Worlds with Bogles vs Jeskai Control.

Also, the legend of Owen Twotenwald continues after his finish at last year's worlds.

Also, extra rough to have everyone and their mother joking about how your defeat is a flavor win with Liliana crushing Emrakul, lol.

I was only looking away for a bit! Did I seriously miss the final game?!

Owen missed three land drops while Lukas had Gideon, Shambling Vent, and one more guy giving him a two-turn clock.

Winning deck:

Planeswalker (6)
3 Liliana, the Last Hope
2 Ob Nixilis Reignited
1 Sorin, Grim Nemesis

Creature (7)
3 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
3 Archangel Avacyn
1 Linvala, the Preserver

Sorcery (11)
2 Transgress the Mind
3 Read the Bones
2 Ruinous Path
4 Languish

Instant (10)
4 Grasp of Darkness
2 Ultimate Price
2 Hallowed Moonlight
2 Anguished Unmaking

Land (26)
4 Shambling Vent
4 Forsaken Sanctuary
4 Caves of Koilos
1 Blighted Fen
4 Plains
9 Swamp

Sideboard (15)
1 Ultimate Price 1 Transgress the Mind 1 Anguished Unmaking 4 Duress 2 Dead Weight 2 Infinite Obliteration 4 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

Anyway, congrats to Blohon, Owen and Yuuya. Bant didn't dominate but the format still isn't really doing it for me. It's only a month until Kaladesh starts up and the Worlds lineup looks great so I'll survive.

ironmang

Gideon continues being the scariest card in standard. I remember at GP Pitt anytime my opponent played T4 Gideon I felt my chance of winning just disappear if I didn't have the most aggressive of draws.

Sucks that that final was so anticlimactic, but overall this was a pretty great PT and Top 8. If nothing else every game of the LSV vs. Owen match was absolutely spectacular.

Curious, having seen everything play out now, how people feel about the Standard metagame. Pretty clearly the concern that Bant CoCo was going to roflstomp everything has shown to be rather premature, and a few big cards (Emrakul, Liliana) have proven to be a lot better than people were thinking early on, but where does it go from here?

Sucks that that final was so anticlimactic, but overall this was a pretty great PT and Top 8. If nothing else every game of the LSV vs. Owen match was absolutely spectacular.

Curious, having seen everything play out now, how people feel about the Standard metagame. Pretty clearly the concern that Bant CoCo was going to roflstomp everything has shown to be rather premature, and a few big cards (Emrakul, Liliana) have proven to be a lot better than people were thinking early on, but where does it go from here?

If anything, LSV's success has shown that Bant Company can fight back very well with proper sideboarding. I think we'll see more variety in competitions, but Bant Company will still dominate.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Eh we thought the same thing after SoI (and that CoCo was the boogeyman before it) and then it was all G/W and Bant with Mono Humans and B/W slowly being pushed out. We also havent seen what happens to the Delirium decks when Wr Humans goes after it.

MVP was LSV's Tamiyo.

zethren

Banned
Lukas deserved the win, with all of the talk of BW not being a good matchup against the Emrakul decks.

Turn 3 Liliana is hard to fight against.

I wouldn't say 4 turns is particularly quickly, Nahiri has a quick ultimate.

It's precisely because the Emrakul decks durdle around so much that a control deck can race it by curving out.

duxstar

By the way if anyone was doubting what I said the other day about mono white destroying these decks, Mono white humans went 9 - 0 in standard, Id imagine it crushed most of the matchups it played against.

El Topo

It's precisely because the Emrakul decks durdle around so much that a control deck can race it by curving out.

Obviously there are planeswalkers that reach the ultimate faster (e.g. Nahiri, Elspeth Tirel), but given the mana cost and abilities, I think she's still rather quick. Once the ultimate goes off, all the opponent can do is rush you.
I think Lukas reached her ultimate...thrice in the Top 8? That's not too bad.

zethren

Banned

That, and Lukas was able to keep her protected each time pretty well even when Owen had bodies on the board.

Obviously there are faster planeswalkers, obviously there have been faster ones (e.g. Nahiri, Elspeth Tirel), but given the mana cost and abilities, I think she's still rather quick.

The best part about her is that her +1 protects her all the way up to ultimating. And yeah, I think he ultimated her at least 3 times in top 8. Maybe even 4 times.

Obviously there are planeswalkers that reach the ultimate faster (e.g. Nahiri, Elspeth Tirel), but given the mana cost and abilities, I think she's still rather quick. Once the ultimate goes off, all the opponent can do is rush you.
I think Lukas reached her ultimate...thrice in the Top 8? That's not too bad.

It's awesome but it was a weird top 8, draft really messes anything to be learned from it up.

That, and Lukas was able to keep her protected each time pretty well even when Owen had bodies on the board.

yeah you have to be able to put down some serious pressure against a deck set up to protect her if you can't straight remove her.

A guy brought his standard UB Zombie deck to Modern FNM last Friday and I played him, I was piloting Modern Jund.

He cast the new Liliana turn three and for the life of me I just couldn't get rid of her. He managed to get her ultimate off and that Emblem is a mother effing beast, let me tell you.
I ended up winning the match but that one time he got that emblem off was just so overwhelming I couldn't help but just laugh at its absurdity.

With that said, I think new Lili is good if you can protect her for what, the four turns it is going to take. She sort of protects herself unless you can go bigger.

I don't think she has a place in eternal formats but I could be wrong. Her -2/-1 ability does get rid of a lot of creatures in Modern/Legacy.

OnPoint

It's safe to say Liliana is better than us naysayers said, but also she did go pretty untouched to get to her ultimates.

Sad Owen drew so poorly but Blohan deserved it.

zethren

Banned
A guy brought his standard UB Zombie deck to Modern FNM last Friday and I played him, I was piloting Modern Jund.

He cast the new Liliana turn three and for the life of me I just couldn't get rid of her. He managed to get her ultimate off and that Emblem is a mother effing beast, let me tell you.
I ended up winning the match but that one time he got that emblem off was just so overwhelming I couldn't help but just laugh at its absurdity.

With that said, I think new Lili is good if you can protect her for what, the four turns it is going to take. She sort of protects herself unless you can go bigger.

I don't think she has a place in eternal formats but I could be wrong. Her -2/-1 ability does get rid of a lot of creatures in Modern/Legacy.

Yeah, last week I played against a crazy UB Zombies build in a small standard tourney. Voldaren Pariahs with Cryptbreakers was probably the neatest trick he had. He also had a Kalitas and Lili, and put up some good results for the day. I was piloting a GB Flayer Delirium deck, but I've since dismantled it. But it was neat to see some Delirium representation this weekend.

I'm watching a stream of a 'Win a Mox' Modern tournament, right now it is Infect versus Lantern Control.

Interesting to see the Infect player win with non-infect damage by pumping Noble Hierarch after being locked out by Ensnaring Bridge.

And also seeing Nissa, Voice of Zendikar being played in Infect, that was new tech I wasn't aware of.

EDIT: And expected with Lantern Control they ran out of time and went to turns just after game two ended, and you apparently can't start game three in turns, so it was a draw.

Lantern is so good against infect. Maindecking multiple pithing needle, spellskite and bridge is just ggs.

You have to be pretty bad with lantern or have an asshole opponent to time out though.

Santiako

I'm watching a stream of a 'Win a Mox' Modern tournament, right now it is Infect versus Lantern Control.

Interesting to see the Infect player win with non-infect damage by pumping Noble Hierarch after being locked out by Ensnaring Bridge.

And also seeing Nissa, Voice of Zendikar being played in Infect, that was new tech I wasn't aware of.

EDIT: And expected with Lantern Control they ran out of time and went to turns just after game two ended, and you apparently can't start game three in turns, so it was a draw.

Todd Stevens ran 3 Nissa in his sideboard last SCG classic, but I'm still unsure of what they're for.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";212764140]Lantern is so good against infect. Maindecking multiple pithing needle, spellskite and bridge is just ggs.

You have to be pretty bad with lantern or have an asshole opponent to time out though.[/QUOTE]
The two Pithing Needles he got into play, he named Windswept Heath with one, and I can't remember the other. But I believe he did win that match.

The match the Lantern player lost was when the Infect player couldn't attack with any Infect creatures, but could with Noble Hierarch, so he used his pump spells to pump her and win with regular combat damage.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Noble Hierarch is the real deal, but it's usually pretty rare for one to actually beat you with abrupt decays and pyroclasms, spellskite etc.

Also Grimace I really liked playing Lantern but I sold the deck because I just don't ever play Modern.

Obviously Emrakul is played out after 1 tournament featuring the card because

I won't pretend to know what's going to happen to New Emrakul, and she's still obviously powerful.

However, wasn't the first Emrakul basically unwinnable once you faced her? She was a game-ending spell, practically a Planeswalkers Ultimate ability? I didn't play standard back then so I don't know...

It seemed like we saw multiple Emrakuls cast per some games during this tournament, and the person facing it still came out.

I won't pretend to know what's going to happen to New Emrakul, and she's still obviously powerful.

However, wasn't the first Emrakul basically unwinnable once you faced her? She was a game-ending spell, practically a Planeswalkers Ultimate ability? I didn't play standard back then so I don't know...

It seemed like we saw multiple Emrakuls cast per some games during this tournament, and the person facing it still came out.

Old Emrakul is stronger once it's out, but it's much harder to bring out without instant-speed reanimation or some other cheat.

New Emrakul can cost 8 or even 7 mana in Standard, and can be returned to your hand from the graveyard. It's weaker, but it's much easier to cast and recast.

kirblar

Liliana got misevaluated for one big reason: her /-1 on the +1. Without it, it looks just like Jace, VP and you can make the mental comparison immediately to the two prior good Jaces.

Grimace: Reid's rocking the haircut cause he's losing his hair. Look at Ian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom