• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Nelson to ask engineers if they can implement my idea to solve XBOX ONE problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
DEADEVIL, you should patent that idea and sell it to MS for some cash to buy a PS4.

Lol if they do this it's confirm all the cloud stuff was just nonsense.

Wow what a train wreck. While they are at drop the price $100 too
Seriously, all this headache for nothing. Trying to fix their problems that they came up with themselves on their own. All this fussing and confusion over what? I'm gonna get a PS4 and let the idiots thumb through their legal handbook/user guide which will be thicker than the Xbox One console itself.

Kyon

Banned
Is not the same Major Nelson that answered Xbone concerns with copy paste answers from the Xbox support page?

Yup.

He has no power he is just PR. The higher ups already decided how the console will work. The system was built with the DRM in mind nothing will change

MN is trying his hardest to spin this so skeptic 360 fans will maybe give it a chance

Desperate times I guess. If that were the case why have the DRM at all. The process you've floated breaks the system, keeps the status quo, and everything that they've boasted about for the past month, and was rumored even longer. They're forcibly telling you that discs are dead after you've bought and installed them. Changing it now, screws up their entire infrastructure and selling point to the higher ups.

Isn't the obvious answer even less complex.

Simply just make the owner of the console have the disc in the system if they are not online. You can't enjoy the digital benefits of the new system, but can still play offline as you can now.

At this point...

Me: I want peace on earth and goodwill towards everyone.
Major Nelson: I'd have to check w/ the engineers, but I don't see why that would not be possible.

BobLoblaw

Banned
The change I see as being more important is the 24 hour check.

If they absolutely MUST do the check, I wish it was something like needing to connect online the first time you play a new game rather than literally every day.
How they didn't think of this I'll never know. It's been around on PC for well over a decade. Buy the game, authenticate it once, play it on your console forever. That fixes the 24 hour bull shit. They could've tied that to used games also. Put in a disc and don't have the code, pay $10. The only problem with that would be what to do when you want to lend the game to someone else. I guess each game could also come with two "guest passes" or something, but the bottom line is the 24 hour check is bull shit (and this coming from a guy that was there on day one for both Xbox and the 360).

Crisium

Even if they came out tomorrow and said they changed their mind, I wouldn't care because they have lost my trust as a consumer.

Hear, hear. I now want Microsoft to withdraw from the console arena. I don't want a Sony monopoly, but I'd be happy with Sony and Nintendo and no one else. When the Saturn was (sadly) failing in NA, that's basically what we had for a couple of years anyway and I thought things were fine.

There is no need for MS, especially when they should be working on getting the PC to be the true gaming platform of choice anyway.

statham

next Major Nelson interview
today I announce
a $299 cloud-less, kinect-less, 120gb core edition. *drops mic*

Ledsen

True. I get the skepticism, but let's look at it this way.

Now it wasn't my idea to put the offline mode as a default position, but I think that would be cool as well.

My point is all MS has to do is approach this like the cloud update Apple did for Itunes last year.

It's optional to store all of your stuff in the cloud and the benefits are similiar to what MS is trying to do for gaming.

But, MS could just lay down the benefits to doing this as they are right now and as the gen progresses if people like it they will adapt it.

Make it an opt-IN and people may end up liking it.

Because like I wrote in the original thread, they HAVE to have something we all arent seeing at the moment to go through with what they are planning for those who don't have great internet.

Not following the awkward thing.

Basically the awkward part is that people have been proposing this same idea from the beginning, so it's not actually your idea.

NIN90

OP, you should have put the "my" in the thread title in caps. Some folks might assume that other people already thought about this.

komarkaze

The major impact I foresee is some games like Titanfall is only possible through the power of the cloud if their PR is to be believed. That means they have to label their game as incompatible with offline mode, and limit their reach to the fragmented Xbone user base. The developer and publisher would be pissed because that's not what they signed on for. It would be worse than the 360 hard drive issue since developers were told to make their games work with and without hard drives.

Hear, hear. I now want Microsoft to withdraw from the console arena. I don't want a Sony monopoly, but I'd be happy with Sony and Nintendo and no one else. When the Saturn was (sadly) failing in NA, that's basically what we had for a couple of years anyway and I thought things were fine.

There is no need for MS, especially when they should be working on getting the PC to be the true gaming platform of choice anyway.
The farther they are from PC gaming, the better.

brainpann

No offense OP, but companies like MS have teams of people to consider things like this and to do cost vs reward analysis. I'm sure they have have thought of this and other potential options. This is the path they have chosen. If they do ever backtrack, it will be because of the PR disaster they have unleashed, not because they simply haven't thought of an acceptable solution.

TheMan

I'm sorry OP, but your idea is too obvious. There is absolutely no way that Microsoft hasn't already considered this. That said, there is a very slim chance this may be implemented as a way of quelling the masses.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hundreds of engineers work on Xbox One. They are all hard working, all talented, and many of theme are among the best of their field. Many of them are probably unhappy with the platform policies that Microsoft decided to go with. Literally 100% of them have thought of all the hare-brained bargaining schemes GAF members could come up with. It's insulting and facile to start from the premise that the only thing preventing the system from not sucking is that no one bothered to ask whether or not it could work offline. Regardless of whether or not the decision pays off, regardless of whether or not Microsoft changes their mind or blinks in the end or anything, it is absolutely, positively not because someone external suggested a different way things could have worked.

fart town usa

Gold Member
That would be a great fix.

I'm sure being connected all the time does have its perks but the no internet=no games is beyond dumb.

Hopefully MS does the right thing because I'd like to play D4 at some point in my life. :)

ReaperXL7

Its not like Microsoft has not seen all of the backlash thats being going on since after the unveiling. They know what people want, they just dont care right now, and wont until they see these policies effect their bottomline.

Respect for trying, but MS is doing this for a reason. If they can get the box in peoples houses as is they stand to gain much even if its at the consumers expense. Microsoft will listen when their competition is overtaking them by a significant margin, not before.

I would love to be wrong, but they arent going to deviate from their plans because of the outrage from what they see as a minority.

Wedge7

Your incredible, unique idea that nobody on the team has thought of before, nor anybody on the internet prior to that moment came up with. Amazing.

Good ideas OP, I was thinking of something similar earlier.. and I'm sure others as well. Offline mode is something a lot of people would like to have.

I'd love to see an offline mode, even if it meant your account was restricted from sharing or selling games while your account is set to "offline".

PTG

OP, you should have put the "my" in the thread title in caps. Some folks might assume that other people already thought about this.

Mb0O4.gif

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I'd like to be in the room when Hyrb presents that idea. He'd get laughed out of the building.

EDIT - Assuming of course he didn't laugh his ass off already.

Courage

I doubt people have every person's idea bookmarked.

Hundreds of engineers work on Xbox One. They are all hard working, all talented, and many of theme are among the best of their field. Many of them are probably unhappy with the platform policies that Microsoft decided to go with. Literally 100% of them have thought of all the hare-brained bargaining schemes GAF members could come up with. It's insulting and facile to start from the premise that the only thing preventing the system from not sucking is that no one bothered to ask whether or not it could work offline. Regardless of whether or not the decision pays off, regardless of whether or not Microsoft changes their mind or blinks in the end or anything, it is absolutely, positively not because someone external suggested a different way things could have worked.
Right, and I think it's disingenuous for MN to say he's gonna ask engineers if it's possible when it's not up to them at the end of the day.

Xyphie

Wouldn't you effectively get two playable copies of the game in that case? One redemption code you can use to register the license to your MS account (after which I assume the disc basically becomes useless other than to install the game to the HDD if you have a slow Internet connection and can't download 25-50GB games) and one disc you can use to play the game anyway.

King_Moc

Banned
Yeah, i'm pretty sure MS have thought of this before, it being pretty obvious and all. They just didn't want to do it.

And don't listen to Major Nelson, of all people. He's paid by MS to tell everyone how awesome Xbox is. Nothing more.

Rhindle

How they didn't think of this I'll never know. It's been around on PC for well over a decade. Buy the game, authenticate it once, play it on your console forever. That fixes the 24 hour bull shit. They could've tied that to used games also. Put in a disc and don't have the code, pay $10. The only problem with that would be what to do when you want to lend the game to someone else. I guess each game could also come with two "guest passes" or something, but the bottom line is the 24 hour check is bull shit (and this coming from a guy that was there on day one for both Xbox and the 360).
That was my initial thought as well. Seems a hell of a lot more straightforward.

I don't think lending a game would be an issue either. Before lending or selling a game, you would just need to go online to delink the game from your account, thus allowing the person you're lending or selling the game to install it and link it to their account (which again would require a one-time online connection).

baphomet

Even if they change this(which they won't), I still wouldn't buy their console. This had to have came up plenty of times in the planning stage, and they shut them down then.

Brashnir

Here's how the conversation will go (actually, it won't happen, but hypothetically, if it did...)

Major Nelson: Hi, random Microsoft egnineer - can we do this [shows engineer reddit post]

Engineer_001: Sure, it's easy. Further, we actually did it concept it out. It was one of 17 prototypes we drew up when this whole thing was still on the drawing board. Management decided to go another way.

Major Nelson: Oh. I see.

Pretty much.

ReaperXL7

Also, if your not online you cant, and devs cant use the power of cloud magic. Which could work against the Xbone if the hardware itself is infact inferior to the PS4.

brainpann

To all the peeps with hope in their glistening eyes that M$ is gonna hear your pleas and fix the Xbone, simply because they have not thought of a solution. Get real. In all likely hood, they have considered this and many other options. They don't care. This is business. They want your money and this is their way to go about getting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom