• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Nelson: "We Are Listening!"

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Charlie-Murphy-Laughing-Chappelles-Show-Prince.gif

SONY's CEO is a gamer (and is one of the pioneers in gaming) so the comment is not too far off. I dont think Ballmer gives a damn about gaming.

Gathering answers is laborious work, taking considerable time and effort. I am sure he is overwhelmed right now and working well into the night, gathering answers and...............well..........gathering more answers.

Be patient. I am sure he will update us in a few weeks to let us know more details will be coming soon so everyone can rest easy.

SONY's CEO is a gamer (and is one of the pioneers in gaming) so the comment is not too far off. I dont think Ballmer gives a damn about gaming.

And one company is bleeding money, had their credit rating reduced, is currently at 'sell', and the only increase in their actual share price is due to a speculated spinoff of their entertainment division from the rest of the company.

Miles X

And one company is bleeding money, had their credit rating reduced, is currently at 'sell', and the only increase in their actual share price is due to a speculated spinoff of their entertainment division from the rest of the company.

Fan service is more important than profit and company health apparently.

Gaspode_T

Major Nelson AKA Larry is not just a PR mouthpiece - his team owns some of the websites and communication that goes to gamers (like newsletters), he has a bunch of people reporting to him etc...he is definitely in the upper management chain from influence perspective.

Since some people don't seem to know, Phil Spencer used to oversee MGS Europe before he took over for Shane Kim (Shane who was the guy that fumbled decisions like cutting the flight sim team and letting Shadowrun stumble into disaster), when Phil was working in Europe I think he oversaw Kameo and Fable 2...not sure about Kameo but definitely Fable...the two Phils will probably work together well since they both probably have strong ties in Europe, I want to see them walk the walk and show the games...

BigDug13

Not to damage control, but you wouldn't necessarily need a good or stable internet connection for the 24hr check in. I assume it's as simple as logging into XBL and letting it refresh the licences and then you're free to go back into offline mode. something like that wouldn't, or more accurately, shouldn't take more than a minute.

That's just an assumption though.

But the cloud! You can't enjoy the benefits of bleeding fast graphics rendering being provided by the cloud if you have spotty Internet.

But the cloud! You can't enjoy the benefits of bleeding fast graphics rendering being provided by the cloud if you have spotty Internet.

I'm doubtful about the cloud and the various claims, but I won't dismiss it completely until I see what MS have planned and see it in action.

Forza 5 is rumoured to be using the cloud, so we'll hopefully get a good idea of what that actually means for the game at E3 and find out what happens if you're knocked offline for whatever reason, etc.

IceBreak

Banned
If by in-touch you mean canned responses like: "policies have not been locked down" ala his Yahoo live chat the other week, then yeah.

The XB1 stuff is a mess obviously but he still communicates with community throughout, even in unnecessary places like reddit where you're going to be hit head on with public scrutiny for all to see. When you see him commenting in a thread that shits on XBL by challenging the way things are going for the brand, it earns him some respect in my book. The closest thing Sony has to that is Morgan Haro but he's always one step behind EU it feels like. Also, he pretty much just deals with PS+.

MasLegio

Banned
posted this in the nodrm-thread but it needs to be known here as well.

This is what Microsoft stated to CNN and is the latest official announcement from Microsoft.

"We know there is some confusion around used games on Xbox One, but we have confirmed that we designed it to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail," the company said, with no elaboration, in a statement to CNN. "Beyond that we haven't confirmed any specific scenarios."

You will not be able to lend or sell your game to other private persons, you will have to sell it through selected retailers. This means that the games will have to be activated or deactivated at selected retailers which means that the games need to phone home to control they are legit versions. This means that ALL XBOX ONE GAMES WILL BECOME USELESS FOREVER once activation/deactivation servers go down.

Feindflug

Excellent, sounds like this might just turn in the consumers favour.

I wouldn't say so. I mean it's possible, but it's also possible they are scrambling to remove those features or at least disable them so they can claim there's no anti used DRM at launch.

I also wouldn't be so sure about deals with publishers, it seems the CEO of the one of the biggest third party publishers (Take Two) didn't even know MS were planning to do this...

Perhaps I'm just overly optimistic? I believe things might be turning around.

Hopefully you're not overly optimistic and they will adjust all this crap with the DRM/online check though I can't say that I expect anything to change at this point, they saw a lot of negative reactions with the always online rumors the past months and decided to go with a model that requires an online connection plus I really doubt that they didn't foresee the shitstorm. With the way they talk about the cloud enhancements being so important to the games I doubt we'll see a system being fully functional offline.

Personally I don't give a fuck about the (disappointing indeed) system reveal since E3 is the real test but my excitement about the system is hampered by the DRM/online check policy (and to a lesser extent by the lack of BC), hopefully this will change after E3 because I loved their first party/exclusive library this gen and 360 is my most played system this gen by far.

kick51

Banned
I think you assign far too much to malice and dastardly intent when incompetence and ill preparation suffices just as well. There's a saying out there that goes something along those lines.

I never said anything about malice, I think you read that in yourself. They just don't want to talk about it right now and they will in the future. It doesn't fit into the current PR plan.

"I'm looking into things" is a good way to buy time. He'll keep looking, but hey, it's 9 days from E3 now, right? So in a few days he can just say "wait for E3" and they can tell us what the deal is all at once without putting out piecemeal statements on the internet that might not get to everyone.

The saying is "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

It doesn't apply here. Say what you will about Microsoft but a console launch is not a simple thing and here they have one launching in a few months. They know what the DRM set up is, they're just not saying. We've known vaguely what the DRM set up is for how long now? When did the rumors of always online/no used games start?

jdmonmou

I think that whatever plans they have for restricting used games have been finalized and it may be too late to change them. Phil Harrison made the mistake of speaking the truth about online connectivity and used games too soon. For the past few days Microsoft execs have been in a huddle trying to figure out how to market these things as features rather than restrictions. They probably have no intention of changing their plans which is a shame.

I think if they do drop it, it will reappear midway through the generation. While there will be some backlash, most users will just accept it as they did online passes. They'll be too invested in the platform at that point to sell everything and start afresh on another console.

It's happening either way I feel, whether it happens at a launch or MS climb down to ensure their console sells only to bring it back a few years down the road and possibly make it retroactive.
Err... if you truly believe that they would engage in such a bait and switch and will ultimately still impose these measures, then wouldn't you rather they simply proceeded as planned and hopefully consumers would reject these policies and the product would fall flat on its face?

There's no point in trying to get the Xbox One to be DRM-free at launch, if it's not going to be DRM-free a few years later.

Err... if you truly believe that they would engage in such a bait and switch and will ultimately still impose these measures, then wouldn't you rather they simply proceeded as planned and hopefully consumers would reject these policies and the product would fall flat on its face?

There's no point in trying to get the Xbox One to be DRM-free at launch, if it's not going to be DRM-free a few years later.

It's something I've come to expect after the whole online pass clusterfuck that started out small this generation and eventually reached the point where it was being used to lock away single player content.

I expect if it is dropped, it will only be a temporary measure to ensure both consoles are fully embraced. One install numbers are a certain point, third parties will begin implementing whatever garbage they have planned.

It's a bit conspiracy theorish, I won't deny and it might even seem silly, but this generation has taught be one thing, if you implement something slowly and attach it to be big ticket games, it will be adopted.

There'll be some complainers, some who decide (rightly) to vote with their wallets, but they'll pale in comparison to the millions who adopt it without a second thought...

Companies are always listening to social media and forums. Constantly. PR firms send weekly coverage reports to clients. It's about whether or not that feedback is something they use to take action. I want to think Microsoft will, but judging by how bold this plan has been, they had to have known core gamers wouldn't like this. I'm not expecting much.

If Mirror's Edge 2 is really an Xbone exclusive though... ;_;

leadbelly

Banned
Yes, but with the Xbox One, the disc doesn't need to be in the blu-ray drive to run.

So unless they do a complete 180 on this feature, and honestly that likelihood is zero, they HAVE to use system wide DRM. They have to.

The point I was making though, is that they didn't have to create that feature. It could have worked similar to the 360 where the disc is checked before starting up the game. Sure, it also means you don't have to bother with swapping games, and that allows for fast switching, but I have a feeling the used games issue influenced the decision more than anything else. They just designed the system around the positives of it to use as a selling point.

I was never a big Xbox 360 supporter (I didn't pay for Xbox Live Gold because I could get most of those feature somewhere else without paying extra). I don't watch TV, and a big reason why someone would buy a XB1 is to control your cable TV, which I don't watch. There are somethings that could sway me, the big one being this: Xbox Live goes free for online gaming. I would really be pleased with this.

This means that ALL XBOX ONE GAMES WILL BECOME USELESS FOREVER once activation/deactivation servers go down.

Such a stupid argument. Who says that they don't have a contingency plan for if they shut down the activation/deactivation servers. If steam has the ability to unlock all games if they go out of business, surely Microsoft will too.

Brashnir

Such a stupid argument. Who says that they don't have a contingency plan for if they shut down the activation/deactivation servers. If steam has the ability to unlock all games if they go out of business, surely Microsoft will too.

They never unlocked downloadable games on the original Xbox. (granted, it was a really tiny platform with probably not a lot of sales that didn't take off until the 360 came along)

Do we have any expectation that all our XBLA/GoD games for 360 will unlock when those servers shut down? I sure don't. Why should we expect it for Xbox One?

posted this in the nodrm-thread but it needs to be known here as well.

This is what Microsoft stated to CNN and is the latest official announcement from Microsoft.

You will not be able to lend or sell your game to other private persons, you will have to sell it through selected retailers. This means that the games will have to be activated or deactivated at selected retailers which means that the games need to phone home to control they are legit versions. This means that ALL XBOX ONE GAMES WILL BECOME USELESS FOREVER once activation/deactivation servers go down.

So, Microsoft has yet to confirm other scenarios, and those are the conclusions you draw?

That's a big leap to me.

emb

It's one thing for it to be possible, it's another thing for Microsoft to actually have it done. It would mean that all X1 games can be duplicated. Both allowing users to still play those old games and more so allowing them to copy will hurt Microsoft's attempts to resell those games later.

Provided they keep servers up for a long period (at least 10 years past the Xbox after One launches) it will also be a fairly small crowd complaining about it. And it would cost Microsoft money to implement the fix. Why do that for that relatively small group?

It depends on placing trust in Microsoft (even after they've gone ahead with this DRM...). I'd really much prefer it if it weren't possible for all of the Xbox One's in the world to die at once, however unlikely. I like the idea that if a system of mine fails, I can buy a replacement or repair it. That fault isolation provides much peace of mind.

As if it matters what the CEO cares about. Their job is to increase the value of the company and make money for investors. Ballmer is still in charge because he's been great at making money. In Kaz's wettest of dreams he'll start turning consistent profit across the entire business as Ballmer does. Mattrick is who matters to Xbox, and he's been in gaming his entire life, which is why the XB1 reveal was such a huge letdown. You'd think someone that's been involved in gaming that long would have known that leading with TV TV SPORTS TV TV SPORTS COD was a huge mistake.

They never unlocked downloadable games on the original Xbox. (granted, it was a really tiny platform with probably not a lot of sales that didn't take off until the 360 came along)

Do we have any expectation that all our XBLA/GoD games for 360 will unlock when those servers shut down? I sure don't. Why should we expect it for Xbox One?

Difference being that the Original Xbox wasn't built with downloadable content and whatnot in mind and Xbox Live wasn't as fully featured as it was with the 360. Also currently XBLA games work on any console for as long as you want offline assuming that you are either on the console you bought it from or are signed into the account that bought the content.

Remember that this is software, if they were shutting down the servers, they could simply just release an emergency patch to the console which changes the Constant Variable in the code from 1 day to 999999999 days. Anyone with access to the source code could most likely do it easily.

RdN

I love how Major Nelson gets all passive-aggressive with people. I guess that's what happens when you make someone do PR when he's even remotely prepared for.

Brashnir

Difference being that the Original Xbox wasn't built with downloadable content and whatnot in mind and Xbox Live wasn't as fully featured as it was with the 360. Also currently XBLA games work on any console for as long as you want offline assuming that you are either on the console you bought it from or are signed into the account that bought the content.

Remember that this is software, if they were shutting down the servers, they could simply just release an emergency patch to the console which changes the Constant Variable in the code from 1 day to 999999999 days. Anyone with access to the source code could most likely do it easily.

And what happens when that console breaks and they shut down the servers? That's the issue here.

Top Bottom