• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Nelson: "We Are Listening!"

After the initial surge of consumers that don't care about their rights I'm finding it very difficult to see where the demand for the xBone is going to come from.

That's incredibly condescending. I'm fine with all these policies, yet I care about my rights a lot. It's just that I'm perfectly happy to exchange the rights that I personally have zero use for for others that are immediately useful to me, with potential for further direct and indirect benefits down the road.

Jburton

Banned
That's incredibly condescending. I'm fine with all these policies, yet I care about my rights a lot. It's just that I'm perfectly happy to exchange the rights that I personally have zero use for for others that are immediately useful to me, with potential for further direct and indirect benefits down the road.

What benefits are there to losing rights?

V_Arnold

So... I do.

"It's just that I'm perfectly happy to exchange the rights that I personally have zero use for for others that are immediately useful to me, with potential for further direct and indirect benefits down the road. "

This is like saying that I DO care about my right to drive a vehicle once I have the license, but I am perfectly happy to give up that right for $100, since I do not plan on ever driving a vehicle, ever.

...but I still care about my rights to drive a vehicle, yo!

Except that then I obviously do not.

Xis

You NEVER buy second-hand games from non-EB sources? (I hate buying used and I still have 3 current-gen titles).
You NEVER loan / borrow / rent?
You aren't concerned about what will happen to your games a decade from now, once the XBox One is no longer sold?

What benefits are there to losing rights?

Off the top of my head, the immediate benefits are being able to download and play the entirety of my library from any Xbox One in the world, the ability to keep playing my games even if my discs get damaged, the ability to get rid of that physical clutter altogether, and all games being developed with broadband connection and Kinect as the lowest common denominator, since they are standard features available to all Xbox One owners.

Further down the line, the direct benefits might include cheaper games and a more dynamic marketplace in general, whereas the indirect benefits might include a healthier industry with more incentive for developers to participate in, and less studios and publishers going out of business. Of course, it would be naive to believe that these measures would eliminate those problems in their entirety, but they would certainly help.

The only remaining question I'd like to see addressed is what happens with authentication once the platform is fully superseded and left behind.

hodgy100

Off the top of my head, the immediate benefits are being able to download and play the entirety of my library from any Xbox One in the world, the ability to keep playing my games even if my discs get damaged, the ability to get rid of that physical clutter altogether, and all games being developed with broadband connection and Kinect as the lowest common denominator, since they are standard features available to all Xbox One owners.

Further down the line, the direct benefits might include cheaper games and a more dynamic marketplace in general, whereas the indirect benefits might include a healthier industry with more incentive for developers to participate in, and less studios and publishers going out of business. Of course, it would be naive to believe that these measures would eliminate those problems in their entirety, but they would certainly help.

The only remaining question I'd like to see addressed is what happens with authentication once the platform is fully superseded and left behind.

I don't understand how this is unachievable with the standard retail model + digital store.

You get the pro's you listed from buying digitally. with the only detractor being you need a decent internet connection to download the games.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
It doesn't really seem like they are listening. Maybe to publishers, but not to us. I'm out after really enjoying two generations of Xbox. Fuck this.

This is like saying that I DO care about my right to drive a vehicle once I have the license, but I am perfectly happy to give up that right for $100, since I do not plan on ever driving a vehicle, ever.

...but I still care about my rights to drive a vehicle, yo!

No, I care about my rights, in general. I don't care about some specific rights that are of no use to me.

You NEVER buy second-hand games from non-EB sources? (I hate buying used and I still have 3 current-gen titles).

I do have some used games, maybe 10 or so out of 350+ games in my collection. One of them was gifted to me, and all the others are games that I couldn't get new anymore. That problem won't exist with the digital marketplace, with the exception of relatively few games that eventually get delisted. That's unfortunate, but it's a huge minority and I can live with that.

You NEVER loan / borrow / rent?

No. I used to, but I've lost countless games, books, CDs and other things that way. Now I don't. I do buy cool cheap games and gift them to my friends, though. New, not used.

You aren't concerned about what will happen to your games a decade from now, once the XBox One is no longer sold?

I am. As I said, that my only remaining concern, but that issue can be solved in a number of ways. Even if it doesn't, the level of my concern is directly proportional to the money I spend buying those games, and it also depends on how much fun I extract from those experiences. I'm a collector of sorts, but the older I get, the more I become aware of the fact that my time is limited, and I'm probably never coming back to 99% of those games.

I don't understand how this is unachievable with the standard retail model + digital store.

It's achievable, we have that model now. It's realistically unsustainable, however, hence the changes.

Maxim726X

Man why are so many people pro-discless?

What's going to happen 20 years down the line when you want to pop in a game but it's not on the server anymore and you can't download it? I still pop in PS1 games from time to time... That may not be an option in the future if this is the trend.

"We are listening"

Fingers+Crossed+2.jpg

It's fair enough if you're welcoming of the restrictions and barriers MS is putting up, but I think certainly on a website like this you're in the minority. As hodgy100 said, none of the things you're looking forward to require the daily online connection or DRM practices MS are inputting. Besides, if MS rarely do good prices on Live now, what makes you think they'll suddenly start doing it when they have an even tighter grip over their consumers and all Xbox One software? Publishers will not start passing savings on to us. It's just not how these businesses work.

You get the pro's you listed from buying digitally. with the only detractor being you need a decent internet connection to download the games.
Exactly. If discs are a bother, digital games are already a thing and you can buy and play those without having to bend over and ask nicely.

Brashnir

Do you keep games from previous generations? Are you OK with probably not having that ability with this box?

Besides, if MS rarely do good prices on Live now, what makes you think they'll suddenly start doing it when they have an even tighter grip over their consumers and all Xbox One software? Publishers will not start passing savings on to us. It's just not how these businesses work.

Not willingly, but competition will force them. Xbox One's ecosystem won't exist in a vacuum, if prices are better elsewhere, people will go there, it's as simple as that.

One of the reasons you don't see as many big sales on Xbox Live (or PSN, for that matter) as you do on Steam is precisely the retailers' pressure. Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo have to tiptoe around these issues because those same retailers also carry their hardware. By positioning Xbox One as more of a general entertainment device and finding new ways of selling it to people, Microsoft are attempting to distance themselves from that grip. It's a process that has already been started, and it will be finished in this generation or the next one.

Do you keep games from previous generations? Are you OK with probably not having that ability with this box?

I already addressed that in my previous post.

Xis

I'm a collector of sorts, but the older I get, the more I become aware of the fact that my time is limited, and I'm probably never coming back to 99% of those games.

I can sympathize with this - over the last few years I've sold off most of my older systems and games. Every old game I re-play is a new game I will never experience.

Of course, with the older systems I had the option to sell them and recoup a little money, but it was a lot of hassle for a not-very-large amount of cash.

They are listening.

I wanted discless gaming and an improved controller. Got them both.

Day 1 Digital would have accomplished the same thing. The reason we don't have that now is because Microsoft signed deals with retailers to not allow it. Now they've signed different deals to screw consumers in a completely different manner.

Drek

It's achievable, we have that model now. It's realistically unsustainable, however, hence the changes.

How is this new "model" so much more sustainable than the retail + day one digital model Sony has introduced to the PS3 and offered from day one on the Vita?

As far as I can see it offers you all the same benefits with the freedom for anyone who doesn't want to go digital/doesn't have high speed internet to still game their way. It is an all around superior method.

The Vita is a portable and therefore digital has huge portability benefits. I love that I have the OPTION to buy the shorter games I expect to flip after playing at retail and the ones I plan to come back to months and years down the road digitally.

This model was already gaining steam without MS pushing draconian DRM as a way to force everyone into the pool with XB1.

farisr

Off the top of my head, the immediate benefits are being able to download and play the entirety of my library from any Xbox One in the world, the ability to keep playing my games even if my discs get damaged, the ability to get rid of that physical clutter altogether,

ALL of this you can do on the 360 already with digital titles, this is not some extra benefit being provided. Only real benefit from this (for you), is instead of downloading a digital title, now the digital title can be obtained by buying a disc.

all games being developed with broadband connection as the lowest common denominator

Wrong, the fact that the console allows offline play means games are developed with offline play in mind as well. Hence, offline play will be the lowest common denominator.

This is all just a hypothetical. It could also lead to lower sales/revenue due to people not taking the risk of buying games at full price anymore (since the safety net of being able to sell a game and recovering a good chunk of it back will be gone now), buying less and less games because of that.

OR it could also lead to HIGHER prices for games due to MS cutting out all other avenues of buying games and having. They're already getting rid off "them poor people" with some of the policies, raising the requirements and raising the price of maintenance for the console. In general, the average Xbox One customer is in a higher income bracket than the average 360 owner as a result, so why wouldn't they could raise prices knowing that their average customer makes more money than their average 360 customer in the past?

Basically a bunch of hypothetical situations could happen. Nothing is set in stone or guaranteed right now in regards to game pricing, or how well developers will do as a result.

madmackem

Not willingly, but competition will force them. Xbox One's ecosystem won't exist in a vacuum, if prices are better elsewhere, people will go there, it's as simple as that.

One of the reasons you don't see as many big sales on Xbox Live (or PSN, for that matter) as you do on Steam is precisely the retailers' pressure. Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo have to tiptoe around these issues because those same retailers also carry their hardware. By positioning Xbox One as more of a general entertainment device and finding new ways of selling it to people, Microsoft are attempting to distance themselves from that grip. It's a process that has already been started, and it will be finished in this generation or the next one.

I already addressed that in my previous post.

Wait all games will still be at retail, your drinking some kool aid if you think its going to lead to cheaper games. They have the well we have to match retail rrp quote already for you.

Haroon

If people are defending these terms that Microsoft has planned out for Xbox One, they must have something to gain from it. There are multitudinous users on NeoGAF that do not see any benefits in the details of the system that Microsoft has released to the public. And consequently, the people that are three types of people that are defending these policies: the Microsoft employees (PR), people that prefer having their rights taken away (why?), and people that are debasing other posters for not being happy with the decisions that Microsoft has made for Xbox One.

God I hate these Twitter threads. Images are blocked at my work and I have no idea what this thread is about because these 140-character sentences are in the form of images.

Anyway, I'm at least glad they are "listening" because they are going to face some serious heat next week.

MMaRsu

Banned

Don't you mean that the horrible policies don't affect you and you can't care less how it will affect the industry going forward?

You would like your disc based games to become useless one time activation codes? You would like it if MS servers go down and you can't play any of your games?

Please, what are your BENEFITS in this situation?

jediyoshi

You would like your disc based games to become useless one time activation codes? You would like it if MS servers go down and you can't play any of your games?

Please, what are your BENEFITS in this situation?

Don't follow, how are these benefits? At this point it's pretty cut and dry the most basic of compromises going on here, you just seem to be artificially prolonging the conversation by playing coy.

Top Bottom