• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major snowstorm about to hit the South (Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hankodank

Never forget
s3hhYjT.jpg

Fixed:
img_0765-1.jpeg

Atlanta getting 6" is legit for Atlanta, so I won't make fun like the storm last year (or 2 years ago?) that crippled the city for days.
Stay safe, stay at home, grab some beers, watch football.

Looks like I got out of Atlanta just in time. We're only expect 2-3" in Athens, which even then will probably still shut everything down. Good luck everyone, try not to die/get stuck in traffic.

zethren

Banned
Was just getting a winter mix in Woodstock, GA. Sleet and rain. Temps at 33 right now. Left work for the day, thankfully. It's supposed to start around 4pm out this way.

Stay safe guys

Brad Panovich is saying inches of snow PER HOUR along the 85 corridor (between Raleigh-Durham and Charlotte) is possible.

We shall see

the totals in that area have been steadily rising in the models/forecast for the last 24 hours. It's too far north to get impacted be the warmer air affecting the totals south of highway 64.

TheFuzz

Hard rain in Gwinnett.

BRING IT ON. I don't want any of this sloppy-road or dusting bull crap.

I want inches of it. INCHES OF IT.

KodaRuss

Quite a bit of snow here near DFW airport. Lot more than we were expecting, accuweather is showing that we are going to get another 2 hours of snow.

Told my wife to put the Jeep in 4 wheel drive when she heads out to work in about 15 mins.

Gas and new blades for the SUV, got my Alpha Industries coat order, picked up waterproof boots and thermal underwear. Bring this shit on.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Shit cracks me up when these cities shut down for like 2 inches of snow.

(I understand the valid reasons, but still cracks me up)

Stay safe and warm everyone.

Yeah.

Just got back from spending New Year's up in Sudbury, ON and those mofuckas would laugh their bellies off at this panic lol

I'm talking 3 feet of snow and -20 is the norm up there.

icespide

Banned
gotta love the smug responses about so little snow shutting down a city. when you do jack shit to treat the roads or prepare for something that happens once every 3 years of course 2 inches of snow will have bad consequences

we get it, some areas get a lot more snow and more often so are better equipped/funded to deal with it

gaugebozo

I'm in Atlanta for a conference, and the hoopla around this is ridiculous. I drove from Northern Michigan to Detroit in similar weather and it only added 25% more time. No, the plows were not out.

Miggytronz

Holy shit! I just got off work and I'm now seeing 13"+ here in Virginia Beach!! Unreal. I've lived here for 28yrs and this hardly ever happens.

Brandwin

Wasn't expecting it, but it's snowing pretty good in Dallas.

Here in Waco we are always just a bit out of reach for the good stuff.

matter of fact, we rarely get bad storms either, so I guess I can't complain too much about not getting snow when we don't get horrible storms/tornadoes either.

Nydius

It hasn't even started doing anything here in Virginia Beach yet but local news just came on and informed us we're now in a Blizzard Warning. My neighbors have subsequently lost their minds. They're outside prepping their yard like a category 3 hurricane is about to descend upon us.

Edit:
Holy shit! I just got off work and I'm now seeing 13"+ here in Virginia Beach!! Unreal. I've lived here for 28yrs and this hardly ever happens.

January 1996. That one was as bad. IIRC, we had between 8-12" around parts of VA Beach when that one ended.
That one ALSO started on January 6.

Marz

I live in Utah so is this an actual major storm or is it just "it never snows over here so everyone freaks the fuck out" type of deal?

I live in Utah so is this an actual major storm or is it just "it never snows over here so everyone freaks the fuck out" type of deal?

It's bad enough that Utah St. might not play a football game in the worst of it, but other than that it's a total joke compared to feet-of-snow-frozen-for-weeks weather I experienced in Logan. The big difference here in NC is that there is no plowing of more or less all secondary roads-the interstates and main routes clear up pretty quickly but everyone's stuck in their cul-de-sacs.

I live just south of Raleigh, and my wife could go into labor at any time. She messaged me (I'm still at work) that she definitely had a contraction just now. We've got an AWD Subaru, but I'd really rather not have to put my years of rally racing game experience to the test under these circumstances.

I live just south of Raleigh, and my wife could go into labor at any time. She messaged me (I'm still at work) that she definitely had a contraction just now. We've got an AWD Subaru, but I'd really rather not have to put my years of rally racing game experience to use under these circumstances.

Going to be much less nastier down there in terms of snow, but you might get some slight icing.

Just drive slow and stay on the main roads if you can. I drive a WRX but AWD only goes so far given the road tires they sell down here.

Rommel

I live just south of Raleigh, and my wife could go into labor at any time. She messaged me (I'm still at work) that she definitely had a contraction just now. We've got an AWD Subaru, but I'd really rather not have to put my years of rally racing game experience to the test under these circumstances.

A real life Talladega Nights. If it's a boy you have to name him Ricky Bobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom