• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D |OT| Remakes are a Nice Thing to Have… Heh, heh

A simple question: Is your progress completing mini-games saved when you reset the time, so that you can complete day 1 and day 2 challenges in one 72 hour period and the day 3 challenge in another 72 hour period and still get the reward for completing all challenges?

When you use the Song of Time, any progress in a sidequest chain is lost.

If you're doing a sidequest that involves doing various things across multiple days, you'll need to do it all in one cycle.

d00d3n

When you use the Song of Time, any progress in a sidequest chain is lost.

If you're doing a sidequest that involves doing various things across multiple days, you'll need to do it all in one cycle.

Thanks. It is understandable that it works like this I guess, but inconvenient. I guess I am stuck trying to win day 2 and day 3 of the nightmarish deku flower mini game ... (unless I want to redo day 1 later)

maxcriden

Snowhead help pls!

Is it possible to get all the fairies in my first run through Snowhead?

There are two fairies that seem above me/out of reach? How do I get them without a boomerang? Any hints?

What's the deal with the random ledge where Tatl turns blue and there doesn't appear to be any Lens of Truth business?

Please keep any answers a bit oblique. Thanks!

mrkgoo

Snowhead help pls!

There are two fairies that seem above me/out of reach? How do I get them without a boomerang? Any hints?

What's the deal with the random ledge where Tatl turns blue and there doesn't appear to be any Lens of Truth business?

The answer is yes to the first question, but depends on what items you have by the time you get there.

Snowhead help pls!

-Yes
-There is something in your possession that makes fairies come to you as long as they're not stuck inside something
-If it's what I think, the answer is scarecrows.

Snowhead help pls!

Yes, all fairies are obtainable on the first run through a dungeon...unless you left town in a hurry.

Hey guys, I'm closing in on what I think is 100% completion; just finished the fourth temple and I've got 19 hearts, 23 masks, all the fairy upgrades, but there's one rumoured event left in my Bomber's notebook that says "It seems the band rehearsing at the Zora Hall needs help adjusting their stage lights...". Any idea what I need to do there? I've shot all the torches with Fire Arrows, which gives me a little cutscene of the stage being lit up, but I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do from there. I just tried beating Gyorg again and going back to the Zora Hall with my mask on to do the rehearsal, but even if I start the rehearsal with the stage lights lit, the actual rehearsal cutscene shows them unlit.

EDIT - Nevermind, I got it. Turns out you have to light the torches then go down onto the stage and talk to the Zora in the middle as regular Link, not Zora Link. You get a whopping 5 Roops for your trouble :p

Snowhead help pls!

- Yes.

- I don't know what fairies you are referring to, but some general tips that might help
1) There is something that will draw fairies towards you, if you've picked it up.
2) You don't need the Scarecrow's Song for Snowhead fairies (or any Stray Fairies for that matter)
3) Bubbles can be burst with arrows
4) How long you can fly as Deku Link is actually based on distance, not time. So if you were to not move, you could theoretically descend forever.

I hope this helps without spelling anything out.

Beat it 100%, thank you new Bomber's Notebook.

I surprisingly got all of the field heart pieces, which aren't in the notebook as far as I know.

How is Twilight Princess still the only Zelda game where you can buy Heart Piece hints?

I surprisingly got all of the field heart pieces, which aren't in the notebook as far as I know. How is Twilight Princess still the only Zelda game where you can buy Heart Piece hints? Okay, so this one mostly does.
The Sheikah stone in the clock tower gives hints for every heart piece, fairy and general plot progression.

I surprisingly got all of the field heart pieces, which aren't in the notebook as far as I know. How is Twilight Princess still the only Zelda game where you can buy Heart Piece hints? Okay, so this one mostly does.
There's the Sheikah Stone in the room where the Happy Mask Salesman is for hints about where all the heart pieces are, at least.

Megasoum

Banned
Why can't I fill my bottle with water in like half the water sources I find? It's really annoying.

For example right now I need water while in the overworld. There a big pond on the west side of the map but I can't fill my bottle from there...

Why can't I fill my bottle with water in like half the water sources I find? It's really annoying.

For example right now I need water while in the overworld. There a big pond on the west side of the map but I can't fill my bottle from there...
Gotta get Spring Water, regular water isn't good enough for Link to bottle.

Revven

Still going through this bad boy, the other night I beat Ikana Castle and now I'm again trying to work on sidequests before I tackle Stone Tower Temple.

I have 16 hearts at the moment and I think I need to get 3 more masks. So, I'm nearly 100% right now... some of the last stuff I need to do is going to be a pain, though (stupid Deku Playground Day 3...)

Nia

RCud3uZ.png

I just defeated Majora. I'd say I'm done. Overall, with the already great gameplay and excellently revised bosses, this was a very enjoyable experience for me. A fantastic remake.

Crayolan

Just got my hands on my copy of the game last night, and it looks great. I had no complaints until I fought Odolwa, and god what did they do to him? For some reason he's now invincible except when he leaves himself open at completely random intervals. I kept getting behind his defenses and hitting him but ended up doing no damage and by the end of the fight I was just circling around him for minutes waiting for him to leave himself open. Way to pad out a fight which was a good length to begin with.

Just got my hands on my copy of the game last night, and it looks great. I had no complaints until I fought Odolwa, and god what did they do to him? For some reason he's now invincible except when he leaves himself open at completely random intervals. I kept getting behind his defenses and hitting him but ended up doing no damage and by the end of the fight I was just circling around him for minutes waiting for him to leave himself open. Way to pad out a fight which was a good length to begin with.

Hmm. Just wondering.
Were you trying to do the fight as regular Link the whole time? I used the flowers and dropped deku nuts on him as Deku Link. Seemed about the same as the original version, but I don't remember 100%.

Scott667

Actually, you're now supposed to use the Deku flowers to drop nuts on his head. They also removed a third of his attacks for no good reason. You'll find that the constant changes to the boss fights is one of the remakes more controversial changes.

Crayolan

Hmm. Just wondering.
Were you trying to do the fight as regular Link the whole time? I used the flowers and dropped deku nuts on him as Deku Link. Seemed about the same as the original version, but I don't remember 100%.

Actually, you're now supposed to use the Deku flowers to drop nuts on his head. They also removed a third of his attacks for no good reason. You'll find that the constant changes to the boss fights is one of the remakes more controversial changes.

Oh. Yea I was regular Link the entire fight. I tried using Deku Nuts as link but they did nothing, so I didn't think they'd suddenly work if I dropped them from above. I suppose that makes sense but I still don't like the change. If I get behind his defenses I should be able to hit him, having him be invincible whenever he feels like it is dumb.

I was able to beat him with as regular Link just using his sword, no idea why you guys are having trouble doing so. That's very bizarre.

Megasoum

Banned
I really wish the mask switching would be instant after the first time you use them... Gets really annoying when you have to put on and remove a mask 2-3 times in the same dungeon room.

quabba

I really wish the mask switching would be instant after the first time you use them... Gets really annoying when you have to put on and remove a mask 2-3 times in the same dungeon room.

Its annoying but not so bad when you mash a enough its pretty much just a white flash.

Were the stray fairy locations changed? I can't remember if there where any Stray Fairies inside monsters, pots and bee hives in the N64 version.

Also, they are quite easy to find with the great fairy mask. For some reason, I remember it being much more difficult before.

Were the stray fairy locations changed? I can't remember if there where any Stray Fairies inside monsters, pots and bee hives in the N64 version.

Also, they are quite easy to find with the great fairy mask. For some reason, I remember it being much more difficult before.

A few of them changed locations, no more than 2-3 each dungeon.

Dice//

Banned
OMG This is the best thing ever now that I know that I can skip the mask animations lol.... Game changer haha

And you could for the last fifteen years, my friend.

If only skipping Ocarina tunes were in this like you could in Wind Waker, then that'd have been peachy.

Megasoum

Banned
And you could for the last fifteen years, my friend.

If only skipping Ocarina tunes were in this like you could in Wind Waker, then that'd have been peachy.

It's my first playthrough of the game on the 3DS... I had it for the gamecube for the last 15 years but never actually booted it lol.

I am very annoyed.

Didn't realize you needed 2 spare days to get the gilded sword. Now if I want to do it, I need to beat the Snowhead boss and do the stupid goron race again?

Sooo dumb.

Dice//

Banned
I am very annoyed.

Didn't realize you needed 2 spare days to get the gilded sword. Now if I want to do it, I need to beat the Snowhead boss and do the stupid goron race again?

Sooo dumb.

Yeah. They work slow, but the payoff is worth it since enemies are less tedious.

Also, the Goron Race isn't THAT bad since the difficulty is pretty artificial (I'm like 90% certain they slow down when they're ahead even though they have a higher top speed than you =/ ).
If you want a small tip: You can "roll" before the race starts by 180'ing it and charging up a bit sooner (see here http://youtu.be/CSgIUOkkpSA and enjoy the N64 comparison while you're at it to how sexy the 3DS ver. is).*
But also, just make the thin bridge, I've notice a ton of Gorons tend to fall off there too.

* I mean seriously...
9InTtnH.jpg

I always forget how bad the N64 looked (
yeahyeah, it did its best
) and it's so nice that Link has a more genuine-looking smile these days than this :>

Gartooth

This is my first time posting in this thread, but I have to say what an incredible joy this game was. I started it last week and finished it with 100% completion just now. I think all the changes to this game were made for the better with the exception of the magic requirement on Zora Link's fast swimming. OoT 3D was a nice graphical improvement, but with MM 3D I don't see myself ever returning to the original N64 version.

There were still a couple of tedious parts in the game though. I thought some of the final quests
on the moon
were needlessly difficult. The first portion of the Goron Link "platforming" for example took me forever just because a slight flick of the stick would send me over the edge. I also had to reboot my 3DS (thank god for the new save spot in that area) since I messed up the part with the Bombchus by going through all 10 before completing that specific "quest". So glad Bombchus are only used for that part of the game and a minigame since they are so touchy on where they detonate.

The last mask makes the final boss such a pushover though. I only played this game once previously on the N64 where I also used that mask, so I decided to see how difficult he was without using it. (This was way before my final run since I had only the first row of hearts) He was a bit more difficult and the fight was certainly longer, but aside from having to use a potion once he never had me on the ropes. Then again using a Chateau Romani along with the best sword in the game probably made him go down too fast.

Christopher

I got the feels, when the fairy says "...thanks" I don't know why but that line out of them all got me, esp with her lines just before and her journey from bitterness to friendliness.

Gartooth

I think my biggest "disappointment" with Majora's Mask remains one I had with the original. Maybe it is just a symptom of being one of my favorite Zelda games, but the game ends too quickly. I'm not talking about total length, but rather how the endgame plays out fast given the large buildup in the introduction. (maybe the original's short development time forced that team to make a quick ending?) Having more of a final dungeon would be one thing, but I also wish there would've been more of an epilogue. I'm fine with leaving things like Majora's Mask, the moon, and the Happy Mask Salesman as a mystery since I think it lends to the game's charm, but I kind of wish Skull Kid would've been given a bigger send off. Granted there is a ton of subtext and extra dialogue in the game that alludes to his character to make up for it.

ffdgh

The new zora swimming isn't all that bad. Certainly made that beaver minigame managaeable with my screwups lol.

Anyone else not have too much trouble with the final Goron section on the moon? I had to do it twice, but after my initial fuck ups I found it quite easy with the help of the C-stick.

Anyone else not have too much trouble with the final Goron section on the moon? I had to do it twice, but after my initial fuck ups I found it quite easy with the help of the C-stick.

The goron part is easy once you realize that you should let go of the stick and only use it for minor corrections.

Nerrel

I also had to reboot my 3DS (thank god for the new save spot in that area) since I messed up the part with the Bombchus by going through all 10 before completing that specific "quest".

Play the song of storms by the first gossip stone at the start of that gauntlet. It will remove the destructible panel on the ceiling, no bombchus required. I'm serious.

I think it would have been clever if they had moved the gossip stone in that last bombchu room directly underneath the ceiling panel. That way, players could bomb the stone itself and have it rocket launch into the ceiling and open up the switch.

Top Bottom