• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3DS announced!

Neiteio

Is that eye in Gyorg's mouth new?
I think it is. I don't recall Gyorg having an eye in the game or his art.

200px-Gyorg.png

Fiktion

Banned
The reason I think we have a shot at a Master Quest is the fact that this has taken so long to develop. I mean, they got OoT done fairly quickly, and that will have been 4 years ago when this comes out.

4 years is long enough to create entire new games.

Neiteio

The reason I think we have a shot at a Master Quest is the fact that this has taken so long to develop. I mean, they got OoT done fairly quickly, and that will have been 4 years ago when this comes out.
Yeah, but for all we know the group working on this might've recently come off another project.

I suspect that if nothing else, there'll be a hard mode that halves the damage you do, and/or increases the damage done by enemies. Maybe they'll go further and mirror the world, or remove heart pickups like in TWWHD.

MattyG

Banned
I've actually never played Majora's Mask (for more than like 5 minutes), so it's going to be fun figuring out the mechanics and stuff for the first time. I already know the more famous side quests and how the story goes and everything, but actually seeing it and playing it finally will be a real treat.

Holy shit, was it really? I thought it came out in 2012. Can't believe it's been 4 years.

Neiteio

Yeah I think they are adding an eye to make it more apparent where to hit him now. Compared to the original I think. Since you kinda just went up to him and shocked him or not.
I'm interested to see how they've updated the textures on Goht. Maybe they'll better convey the fact he's made of clockwork. Always thought Goht had the coolest boss design in the Zelda series.

500px-Goht.png

As much as I want to be excited about this I just can't. The chance of NA getting the CE is near 0% and the beautiful EU box art will be just another generic trashy gold cover like all the other NA zelda covers. I'll be boycotting this release unless I'm proved wrong on those two accounts.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I like that they want to retain the same level of challenge while making it accessible.

Easy Mode, maybe? Or a more prominent Super Guide? Revamped Save System?

Neiteio

I like that they want to retain the same level of challenge while making it accessible.

I think they're referring to how streamlined everything will be with the touchscreen for selecting items, the Bomber's Notebook displayed on the bottom screen, etc.

Maybe hero mode/master quest from the start. I took it more as they'll fix some of the old stuff without ruining the game like they did with OoT (menu navigation, item switching, iron boots, shiekah statues etc)

SirNinja

Remember that big Gossip Stone that you could crawl into in OoT 3D to get hints? Probably something more along the lines of that. Just something optional to guide younger/new players along without breaking any of the challenge of the original game.

Mory Dunz

4 years is long enough to create entire new games.

How do you know they're been doing this for 4 years?

Just going by Zelda,
Skyward Sword, WWHD, and ALBW have all released since then right.

Thorakai

Those flips are so awesome. If you think about it MM Link is the strongest reincarnation of Link. Every other link is a farm boy at the beginning, but in MM Link has already defeated Ganon.

Isn't Link to the Past Link the same in Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages, and Oracle of Seasons? If so that mofo saved the world four times.

Yagharek

Never played this.

First time I finished Ocarina was on the 3DS after several failed attempts on N64 (got distracted with other things). Absolutely loved the way the 3DS version worked with things like the iron boots in the water temple, and the gyroscopic aiming.

This will be a treasure to play through.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
but count me in !!Gonna get this day one, dammit need to get ALBW again and get round to completing OOT 3D

Should 3DS just be renamed the Portable Zelda experience ??

2015 is looking good between this and project
STEAM.

f zero x 3DS remake with online play and track editor do it Nintendo..

StuBurns

Banned
It's the best game in the series for me, in fact, short of the Prime games, it's my favorite Nintendo game. I'm super excited, I just bought another copy of OoT3D in anticipation. Now to buy another 3DS. I'm leaning towards the 2DS. Buzzed.

Yarbskoo

Absolutely loved the way the 3DS version worked with things like the iron boots in the water temple, and the gyroscopic aiming.

I hope that gyroscopic aiming returns, it would really come in handy for that damn shooting gallery. I didn't get that piece of heart until years after I had finished the rest of the game.

Yagharek

I hope that gyroscopic aiming returns, it would really come in handy for that damn shooting gallery. I didn't get that piece of heart until years after I had finished the rest of the game.

Orly?

I loved the gyro aiming in Wind Waker HD too. I thought it would have been dumb in any game (first time I tried it was on a 3DS game I forget now) but it quickly becomes second nature and dare I say it, essential.

Rather have a Wii U remake, but I'll still take a 3DS remaster. Day 1. I've been dying to replay Majora's Mask again but decided to wait for the inevitable remaster.

Please NA, localize that collector's edition so I can have that poster next to my awesome majora's mask poster I got way back when the original game was released.

I know it wasn't going to happen, but I really wanted this on the Wii U instead. :(
I too was really hoping that this would be a Wii U release. I figured the reason it was taking so long was because they were reworking it for Wii U. Oh well... Guess if I want to play this on a TV, I'll have to pick up the original.

Mit-

"Remake" and "remaster" are often used interchangeably, especially in PR, but in this case it would be far more precise to use the latter term. MM 3D is just a version of the game adapted to the 3DS, with various tweaks and enhancements. A remaster. Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen, on the other hand, are actual remakes - built from the ground up for the GBA.

This is just semantics, really, but in a discussion where we're trying to judge the scale of the project and making all these different comparisons, it's useful to keep in mind.

I always considered OoT a "remake" compared to the hundreds of other re-releases out there. All new textures, geometry, and character models? What more does it need to be a "remake?" Most remasters just change character models, some textures, and call it a day. They intentionally did not screw with the music (which Square should've also done for FFX...), they balanced the game by changing certain mechanics such as Iron Boots as normal items, and including full level maps on the bottom screen. They added features only possible on 3DS such as gyroscopic aiming. Extra boss rush mode and a redone Master Quest. At that point there was nothing else they really needed to do with it.

Amani

Gabriel Iglesias voice: OH MY GOD YES.

No seriously, that fucking box art is sick! I...don't know why that trailer was so weird, but that box art is SICK!

You know, I would have preferred the reverse, a "sequel" to Majora's Mask and a remake of Link to the Past, simply because MM is different from any other Zelda. I'd love, loooove to play another game with the MM mechanics, but in a different setting, or at the very least with a completely different set of people. Nonetheless, it'll be great to revisit the world.

I'm sure the game will have some interesting extra content, though. I mean, if the OoT remake had Master Quest and a boss rush, surely the MM remake will have stuff, too. (And it's not like its boss rush will be very long...)

The only thing I hope they add is the ability to skip ahead to any point in time. That would make waiting for Sakon to show up that much less frustrating.

Ha man it's like I've traveled back in time, this remake vs port argument.

"Remaster," dudes. That's the word we all agreed upon for OOT. In between remake and port, regardless of what Nintendo calls it. Goal of reproducing the original faithfully but polishing it up significantly in the process. Let's not go through this all over again.

This is how I see it. Though my copy of OoT 3D explicitly called it a remaster. Either way, this treatment (regardless of what you call it) is exactly what I want for these games. MM3D is probably now my most anticipated game of 2015. I hope the 3D effect is as wonderful as it was in OoT3D.

I'm really curious what they're doing to improve the game other than graphics. I've tried to play Majora's Mask several times in the past but a) the save system and b) the 3 day reset system just combine to make it utterly unplayable for me.

Lernaean

Banned
It's more about the ergonomics, tried my mate's 2DS and thought it was much nicer than the 3DS, but yeah, I'll wait and give them a try first I think.

I understand. If it's not comfortable, it's not comfortable. Just keep in mind that 2DS has an OG 3DS size screen, and an XL offers a better experience. I'd say try them on some store's demo station to see which fits better to your hands and eyes as well.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
This is the only thing I ever wanted. I'm also glad it's coming out next fall. I should have enough money for a 3DS by then.

Top Bottom