• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3DS announced!

Never actually played this myself. My neighbor had it, but I just watched her play it here or there.

Might actually have to give it a go.

This game was too hardcore for me. I had absolutely no idea what in the fuck I was doing. I couldn't compensate for the doomsday clock.

Happy that fans finally get a 3DS version of this, as they've been asking for it since OOT 3DS...but sadly, this game just isn't for me.

Mortemis

Banned
Today was a good day.

A damn good day.

Joined that new wallpaper crew
7pgtFs8.jpg

Fucking love this art. Saw a couple people asking for a crop, this is what I made: http://i.imgur.com/QwUqzqz.jpg

BY2K

Membero Americo
I'm thinking they'll do a similar thing to the Great Bay Temple as they did to the Water Temple.

It always baffled me how people keep complaining about the Water Temple and not the Great Bay Temple. It's like 10 times worse.

This is probably one of the few games that I would buy even though I don't have the system to play it on.

I'm thinking they'll do a similar thing to the Great Bay Temple as they did to the Water Temple.

It always baffled me how people keep complaining about the Water Temple and not the Great Bay Temple. It's like 10 times worse.
There's nothing wrong with either one of them.

Sheroking

No, it's not.

Great Bay Temple is pretty self-explanatory if you're paying attention. Turn one valve, go one direction, turn the other valve, go the other direction, turn both valves, go the third direction, fight the boss.

The Water Temple (which I still like), made it too easy to miss items (especially keys) and forced you to raise and lower the water a hundred times to figure it out on the first playthrough.

Anth0ny

I'm really curious what they're doing to improve the game other than graphics. I've tried to play Majora's Mask several times in the past but a) the save system and b) the 3 day reset system just combine to make it utterly unplayable for me.

did you play the inverted song of time?

the save system is fine the way it is. the 3 day system is the reason why this game is the GOAT. you don't get those amazing sidequests without it.

ALM5252

I've never had trouble with Great Bay temple compared to the Water Temple back on the N64 (or GameCube in my first playthrough)

Finally going to get to play Majora's without motion sickness!

Couldn't get very far in the GCN port because of just how wildly the framerate fluctuates. I mean the N64's framerate wasn't exactly high, but at least it maintained at a steady framerate. GCN port or emulation... whatev was just bad.

This will be my first time seriously playing it too. Me am much excite.

Doczu

Gold Member
Are there somewehere some screenshot that compare the original to the 3D release? Like with OoT when it was announced? I'd love to see some changes in the graphics.

Rich!

The new clock is great! Simple but effective -- three bars, one for each day, shaded accordingly, with the timer sliding along, and a moon or sun to indicate the time of day.

Speaking of the different days, one of my favorite touches was how it always rained on the second day. And Anju even walks around town with an umbrella. I love rain in videogames! Thus, it was great to know that I could enjoy rain just about anywhere on Termina on the second day. And I'm happy to see in the footage that the rainy second day is still intact. :)

Remember that the rain has use in this game too. If you wait for it to rain, you dont need to use a bottle of water on planted magic beans.

Pappasman

There's a comparison video here.

I really disliked OoT 3D because it didn't capture the original atmosphere of the game at all. I hated what they did to the colors. I think they made it work a lot better here. The only scene I think is worse in the 3D version is when the mask salesman is shaking link. The brightness and color of the scene ruin the mood.

Peagles

I really disliked OoT 3D because it didn't capture the original atmosphere of the game at all. I hated what they did to the colors. I think they made it work a lot better here. The only scene I think is worse in the 3D version is when the mask salesman is shaking link. The brightness and color of the scene ruin the mood.

Yeh, something about the expression on his face in that scene on the 3DS version bugs me too.

I also don't think the footage quality is fairly compared in that video, I'm assuming it'll look a lot better on an actual 3DS. Even still, you can tell it has been nicely revamped.

Rich!

Neiteio

No, it's not.

Great Bay Temple is pretty self-explanatory if you're paying attention. Turn one valve, go one direction, turn the other valve, go the other direction, turn both valves, go the third direction, fight the boss.

The Water Temple (which I still like), made it too easy to miss items (especially keys) and forced you to raise and lower the water a hundred times to figure it out on the first playthrough.
Yeah, Great Bay Temple is fine. Much more straightforward and less tedious than OoT's Water Temple. Looks cool, too, with all of the colored pipes. And dat Wart miniboss.

Remember that the rain has use in this game too. If you wait for it to rain, you dont need to use a bottle of water on planted magic beans.
Oh wow, I thought I knew this game well enough to write a strategy guide, but I didn't know that tidbit. :)

Rich!

Oh wow, I thought I knew this game well enough to write a strategy guide, but I didn't know that tidbit. :)

Heh. I always used to love it because I would make it so playing through that part at the deku temple would happen on the second day. Once I got to the owl statue before woodfall, I used the song of time.

SeriousApes

Woot! I knew it'd happen eventually and I'm glad I can play it on my regular XL. I used to have the Zelda collection disc for GameCube, but never got very far, so I'm excited to play it.

I remember there was originally supposed to be a feature where you could literally buy time with rupees. I could totally see them bringing something like that back for this remake.

I hope we get more than 2 save slots.

zeldablue

I remember there was originally supposed to be a feature where you could literally buy time with rupees. I could totally see them bringing something like that back for this remake.

I hope we get more than 2 save slots.

You could buy time from Tingle. But then they switched it so that he sold maps instead of time.

You couldn't "buy time" because it screwed up the complex scripting that was happening in the background. I'm not sure if they could have fixed that issue on the 3DS...

Hmm.

There's a comparison video here.
Hope they don't over do it with the lighting and coloring. The dark areas in the original game work perfectly with the overall eerie mood of the game, there's really no need to change that atmosphere of the game for the sake of lighting up areas.

Also disappointing to see that they just used the Hyrule Warriors Moon model. Original one looks better.

Top Bottom