• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines flight en route from Amsterdam shot down over Ukraine; no survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once Air Crash Investigators get to the scene a better idea about what happened will surface (though chances are it may not be made public initially). A plane hit by a missile will leave wreckage over a wide area. If parts are missing like wings, tail etc it would suggest something happened mid air. Also if no radio message came from the pilot (and it seems there wasn't a message) that also suggests a sudden and massive "event" brought it down.

So far it really does sound like it was brought down by a missile. After the Ukrainian jet fighter earlier it could be someone got carried away and thought they'd get another Ukrainian plane. Yeah, this stinks badly.

And two Boeing 777s - they are one of the most reliable planes ever made.

A bit of context here.

The altitude and path that this aircraft was flying at would be completely normal for civilian flights.

Some trigger happy fuckhead just made a colossal fuck up.

I dont think reliability matters when missiles are coming at you

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I know stuff hasn't gotten really real before when this happened waaayy back in the day.

Put me in the camp that this is different times though. Obviously nobody is gonna come out and say it, but I feel like shit could end up getting real when the details emerge.

Wonder what the White House is doing as I type this.

spekkeh

Banned
A lot of how the Western world will respond is by whether or not actual citizens of their countries were onboard. If there were any US, French, English or Germans onboard shit will not go over well compared to if there weren't any.

Having flown MA from AMS to KL before, it's quire likely 80% or thereabouts will be Dutch.

ymmv

Banned
A Ukranian twitter feed has a picture of someone holding a Dutch passport found near the crash. The pic was linked on Dutch shock blog Geen Stijll. It must be terrible for the family to hear about the death of a loved one like this.

Dazzler

This route is often the cheapest way to get to Thailand from Europe, going to be a lot of blowback from this :(

RIP to all on board. So unbelievably tragic

Maxim726X

A lot of how the Western world will respond is by whether or not actual citizens of their countries were onboard. If there were any US, French, English or Germans onboard shit will not go over well compared to if there weren't any.

Ehh... If the plane was shot down, I'm pretty sure the entire world is going to be outraged.

Can the rebels even hit a target at that altitude? sounds like a precise military hit and not a bunch of rebels.

It's not point, shoot and hope it hits. All they would need is a radar/heat lock. A 777 would most likely have incredibly little warning and isn't exactly a very manoeuvrable aircraft compared to a fighter jet

Goldrusher

Supposedly this is a Facebook post by one of the passengers before boarding.

rnWc2qX.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?....121009184703252.21333.100003825135026&type=1

"In case it disappears, this is what it looks like."

sangreal

Why are people jumping to conclusions on who shot it down? Both sides seem stupid enough to do so.

Why would Ukraine shoot it down? What would they mistake it for? Who has shot down all the other planes to date?

If it was shot down, it is pretty obvious who did it

Raistlin

Can the rebels even hit a target at that altitude? sounds like a precise military hit and not a bunch of rebels.
The 'rebels' aren't conventional rebels.

From what I understand they are mostly current or ex Russian military, and have been armed and funded by Russia.

Salvadora

RIP to the 295 people lost and feel awful for their families.

Hope the authorities get to the bottom of this and punish those responsible.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
This route is often the cheapest way to get to Thailand from Europe, going to be a lot of blowback from this :(

RIP to all on board. So unbelievably tragic

Fuuuck I'm flying to Thailand in October from London to turkey then onto bangkok

SJRB

Gold Member
Reuters states that the Ukrainian Interior Ministry adviser says 280 passengers, 15 crew died in the crash.

I would be shocked if Russia was directly behind this attack.

Russian rebels in Eastern Ukraine most likely. This might be the straw that broke the camels back, I don't think Europe is going to stand for this shit anymore.

Yep. Sounds like their proxy pet finally broke the chain and bit off more than it could chew. RIP to the passengers who have absolutely nothing to do with this BS.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Can't see it being the Ukrainian Gov who shot it down, it's already flown over most of Ukraine, why would they shoot it down just before it crossed the border?

Has to be the 'Russian Rebels'

The Ukrainian gov would only have two targets, Russia and rebels. Obviously, they don't want to provoke anything with Russia. The rebels aren't flying around in aircraft.

The other possibility is a false flag operation, but that would be nuts. That's like 9/11 was a false flag level crazy.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Ehh... If the plane was shot down, I'm pretty sure the entire world is going to be outraged.

I don't doubt that, but when one of your own is actually a part of it it definitely alters the response and level of commitment. You can't as easily just use strong language to condemn an act, a lot more people will be calling for real action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom