• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines flight en route from Amsterdam shot down over Ukraine; no survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Supposedly this is a Facebook post by one of the passengers before boarding.

"In case it disappears, this is what it looks like."

Poor joke about the earlier Malaysian flight. No conspiracy here.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I picked a good day to book my tickets from Taipei > Amsterdam > Edinburgh (KLM). :/

IIRC the planes on KLM's route fly through the Baltic countries and Russia, not sure about Malaysian Airlines. But anyhow, the idea of a passenger plane being shot down in Europe in 2014 is equal parts "fucking scary" and "unbelievable".

If this was shot down, then they need to sort this shit out right now. They crossed a red line so big you can see it from space.

Qvoth

heard about this news in game while playin ff14, damn this is terrible
i don't see how malaysia airlines can survive this

spekkeh

Banned
BswjhQLCQAA_KUN.jpg:large

TTOOLL

The Associated Press ‏@AP 2 min
BREAKING: Ukraine president: `Armed Forces of Ukraine did not take action against any airborne targets'

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Buk surface to air missile systems have been spotted:

Anton Gerashenko, an adviser to Ukraine's interior minister, said on his Facebook page the plane was flying at an altitude of 10,000 meters (33,000 feet) when it was hit by a missile fired from a Buk launcher. A similar launcher was seen by Associated Press journalists near the eastern Ukrainian town of Snizhne earlier Thursday. The Buk missile system can fire missiles up to an altitude of 22,000 meters (72,000 feet).

http://pressimus.com/Interpreter_Mag/press/3385

ICKE

Banned
Russian government can use this as leverage against Ukraine, declaring that they do not have a functioning central government since commercial planes are targeted inside their territory. International intervention is inevitable at this point.

Bad news all around.

Knoxcore

Are you an expert at ballistic weapons? Some sort of training that we're not privy to?

None, but its sort of logic. If a plane is shot 33,000 feet in the air. Certainly it will break up as it falls to the ground. There will be a clear trace of smoke in the air. This videos does not show it. Maybe there is more. I don't know.

I'm keeping an open mind here.

Kinyou

the Ukrainians have no reason to shoot down anything. The Russians aren't flying planes or helicopters over Ukraine.
That's the thing. The rebels have shoot down multiple military aircrafts during the last months, makes it likely that they were again the ones pulling the trigger.

TheContact

Why would Ukraine shoot it down? What would they mistake it for? Who has shot down all the other planes to date?

If it was shot down, it is pretty obvious who did it

Ukrainian separatists supported by Russia shot it down, technically they're Ukranian but want to be part of Russia. Russia gave them some soviet era buks and this is one of the things they did. Russia denied involvement because they didn't directly do it but the separatists claimed responsibility of shooting down what they thought was a Ukranian AN-26 which turned out to be the passenger airliner. When they shot it down they still didn't care because they said it was in their airspace, which is like me standing outside my home and posting on twitter that you can't fly above my house or I'm going to shoot you with my buk

Samyy

None, but its sort of logic. If a plane is shot 33,000 feet in the air. Certainly it will break up as it falls to the ground. There will be a clear trace of smoke in the air. This videos does not show it. Maybe there is more. I don't know.

I'm keeping an open mind here.

Lmao

People still trying to deny Russian involvement in this fiasco are deluding themselves.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Ukraine claims pro-russians activists did it. So fucked up, no matter who did it.

Forgive my ignorance, I know nothing in regards to stock or financial markets.

Why does something like this cause the stock market to plummet? Is Malaysia Airlines even registered on the Dow Jones? Is it the fear of war or something?

Capital doesn't like conflict/war. When wars or terror attacks take place, stocks usually go down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom