• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man Bags!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkkn

I kind of want to carry around a man bag, even if i haven't been fan of the idea before. Now i find myself needing/wanting to carry daily at least following items that don't fit into pockets; mirrorless camera, tablet and lunch to work.

It seems to be difficult to find stylish bag that does not look like it's made for school, big ass camera or for laptop. Is it too much to ask for a good looking general purpose bag that is pretty good for any use?

Nope.

image3xl.jpg

Years ago on a trip to New York City I needed something to carry items around while on foot so I picked up a Puma messenger bag. I've had it for over six years and it's not in fantastic shape but I still use it near daily. Occasionally get some snide or teasing comments and have had a few yells on the street of nice purse/murse from strangers but I don't mind as the convenience outweighs the random scorn.

I've considered looking into a new bag as mine is showing considerable wear. Might look for something a bit more expensive and nice since this bag was only around $25 (possibly discounted? Just remember looking for something cheap).

Sort of similar to this bag after doing a quick search. No cat on it but instead just the letters PUMA fairly large on it. Shape and other design looks quite close.

puma-black-heritage-reporter-messenger-bag-product-1-3290248-013548346_large_flex.jpeg

bobito

Banned
Years ago on a trip to New York City I needed something to carry items around while on foot so I picked up a Puma messenger bag. I've had it for over six years and it's not in fantastic shape but I still use it near daily. Occasionally get some snide or teasing comments and have had a few yells on the street of nice purse/murse from strangers but I don't mind as the convenience outweighs the random scorn.

I've considered looking into a new bag as mine is showing considerable wear. Might look for something a bit more expensive and nice since this bag was only around $25 (possibly discounted? Just remember looking for something cheap).

Sort of similar to this bag after doing a quick search. No cat on it but instead just the letters PUMA fairly large on it. Shape and other design looks quite close.

For that bag???

Where do you live, they were pretty much standard at school in England

I use either one of these sometimes:

Generally hate bags. I use a sleeve for my laptop. Only bags I have are luggage and my gym bag or a beer bag.

I think most women I know love bags, but lose everything they own because they've got 3 or 4 active bags. I can't live like that.

Wtf is a beer bag and where do I get one?

I just can't be carrying one of these bags. If have something thats bigger than can fit in my jacket pocket then to be honest my girl will carry it in her purse.

For that bag???

Where do you live, they were pretty much standard at school in England

Portland, OR. I've had many comments from coworkers in the past (most of these were meant to just be teasing and joking) and on the streets I've had much worse things said. Doesn't bother me either way. It's a convenient way to carry a book or two around along with whatever else I might want on me for the day (portable gaming, headphones, food, etc.)

iammeiam

I use a 13" waxed canvas Muzetto Outback these days. Enough for 13" macbook air, camera, kindle, and odds and ends. Pretty rugged and lightweight.

LPtxuTE.jpg

I ordered the 15" variation of this just last Thursday; I've been using a leather Muzetto for three and a half years for my iPad and found it strikes a nice balance between letting me carry the shit I use and not giving me enough space to hoard crap (as tended to happen with a backpack.) Couldn't find a vertical laptop bag I like as much, so wound up going for the waxed canvas Muzetto.

WorldStar

Banned
I don't understand this complaint.

If I search purse on google I get.

black-clip-purse.jpg

becks_yellow_granny_purse.jpg

funny, when I search 'purse' using images.google.com I get a whole lot of things that look awfully similar to what is posted in the OP

btw OP, you're carrying a purse brah

purse: a small bag or pouch, often made of soft leather

not hating, just educating

Used to have one from American Eagle, got this for christmas.

14359549_130124123000.jpg

It's a blessing considering I can barely fit anything in my stupid jeans.

Sean

Banned
MuUF5CT.jpg
jack-bauer-24-messenger-bag.jpg

Jack Bauer's military-style man purse looks kinda cool and manly. Most of the ones posted in this thread seem kinda feminine imo.

Rookje

I use a Chrome bag as a gym bag. Or if I'm in some city I'll use it to tug things around. Not the stylish thing, but its practical and well made.

img60646132.jpg

I don't like bags that hang on one shoulder. So its either side across my chest or a backpack. Something like this is pretty cool:

ryan-gosling-eva-mendes-thai-lovebirds-03.jpg

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I use a 13" waxed canvas Muzetto Outback these days. Enough for 13" macbook air, camera, kindle, and odds and ends. Pretty rugged and lightweight.

LPtxuTE.jpg

I feel better about my recent messenger bag purchase knowing that famed globe-trotting ladies' man, martial artist, and internet legend EviLore owns one, too.

This and that Jack Bauer image macro honestly did set my heart at ease. I feel like this thread was made as some sort of therapy process for me.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So I guess handbag sized bags are still not that common for men to carry. :( Come on guys, it's the future!

I use Timbuk2 bags for work, for everyday use and when out and about on holiday. Loads of different styles, sizes and accessories too.

Valtýr

MuUF5CT.jpg
jack-bauer-24-messenger-bag.jpg

Jack Bauer's military-style man purse looks kinda cool and manly. Most of the ones posted in this thread seem kinda feminine imo.

I've had this for close to 8 years now and it's been rock solid through tons of abuse. The thing is a monster.

Randdalf

This is somewhere I will never go, but the door is open to you...

man-clutch1.jpg

To be fair to Ronaldo, that's probably his boot bag. Whenever you see footage of footballers going from the coach to the dressing room they're usually carrying their boots in a small bag like that.

iammeiam

tom-bihn-ipad-bags.jpg

I've been a fan of Tom Bihn bags myself.

Tom Bihn stuff lasts forever; I used a Super Ego as a daily commute bag for six years with no real signs of wear. The problem I've historically run in to with TB stuff is that they assume if your computer is over a certain size, you probably don't care about compact portability, so they tend to not make smaller/minimal bags for anything over a 13" laptop. The Aeronaut is probably the most convenient travel bag I've ever used (convertible backpack straps FTW), and the Founder's Briefcase is a pretty nice looking casual briefcase:

wI7sTXV.jpg

Also, combining their Brain Cell laptop sleeve with a backpack is probably the most protective laptop carry solution I've seen. Bulky, but secure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom